Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 1:14 AM
Default Future Features in Homeworlds Experiences?
I have to admit that I do not like Oasis Landing. It suffers from the same issue many sci fi visions of the future do: everything looks like an airport, sleek and silvery and profoundly boring Silly as it sounds it's why I don't play many games in sci fi settings... between that and the blackness of space, they're just visually uninteresting to me.

So I've been experimenting with bringing a little of the future to Isla Paradiso. My sim has the bot builder LTW, and she's gonna try for the associated statue too. So she placed a couple of ITF lots in IP, the big shopping mall place and the bot shop. Oddly, she had to replace one of the bot display units in the bot shop for them to work; but after she did that they all worked, started displaying bots and people started browsing, so I'm hoping I'll be seeing some bots around town.

Here's her second bot, Minnie, who has the fishing chip (fish n chips? :/) fishing just after sunset across the channel from the shopping mall (She sold the first bot... he had the "friendly functions" chip, and she's socially awkward, and they never stopped arguing >< )

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 3:24 AM
I haven't played it yet but looking at the map I'm not a fan of the layout. (Or the name. Arcadia's Landing was so much better.) I don't mind the architecture or the actual futuristic theme. With the all mighty mods I'd like to try and make it an actual futuristic playable hood, after making some changes.

I don't have any experiences but I am interested in the monorail. In another thread it was mentioned it isn't in Build/Buy mode nor available in the other Worlds. I like the idea of having some sort of above ground mass transit system for city worlds, crammed between skyscrapers. Sort of like the Gotham Monorail from Batman:
The appearance of it would have to be changed to fit though. I'm also not sure how the rail lines have been made, whether you could place it like roads and it will follow and stop at stations or if the whole thing has been custom made for Oasis Landing. The latter, I'm imaging. I know little about modding but I'd imagine it would be difficult to recustomise/fit in an existing hood.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 6:56 AM
I like the world itself but never like shells. Too restricting and the designs are not impressive to me. I am in the process of just building lots from the Future venues, just not with the shells. They are too big and most of my worlds I play don't have space. I did combine and redesign the robot store into a gallery/plumbot store/cafeteria, for testing purposes. Got the warning when I changed the venue about some things may not work properly and all but went ahead and it is OK. I was a bit irritated the register consignment only works for plumbot parts, hoped it would include all things in the gallery part. The cafeteria don't have any service so I know it needs it's own lot to work. My sim could purchase properly from each part and get their own food.

Just like I did with the overly large, shelled SHT lots, just make a building and name it appropriately from the venues. Hope it works.

EDIT: About possible bots around town by the NPCs, I don't think that will happen by EA standards. I think if it's possible, maybe Twallan can add that through one of the Nraas suites. It's not happening even though the townies are browsing.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
About possible bots around town by the NPCs, I don't think that will happen by EA standards. I think if it's possible, maybe Twallan can add that through one of the Nraas suites. It's not happening even though the townies are browsing.

Ahhh was hoping on the basis of some things said in the pre-release broadcasts etc, but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen... my current sim lives on a private island and is kinda anti-social except for her robot pals, so she wouldn't know, heh. (Hoping to attract and have her shack up with an alien.)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 1:55 AM
I was also disappointed the moment I saw it

I would've preferred a more Minority Report/Totall Recall type of world, or at least have a gritty, dense urban section with dark skyscrapers/apartments, not 30th century Suburbia
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 2:09 AM
I like the world just because of how fast everything loads. But you're right about everything looking like an airport :P
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 6:11 AM
Now my more prominent townies are driving around town in hovercrafts.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 6:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
I don't have any experiences but I am interested in the monorail. In another thread it was mentioned it isn't in Build/Buy mode nor available in the other Worlds. I like the idea of having some sort of above ground mass transit system for city worlds, crammed between skyscrapers. Sort of like the Gotham Monorail from Batman

I'm doing a GIGANTIC world (1 year by now, several changes and lack of time) that uses features from ALL expansions (and stuff packs) and tried to fit the monorails in it... it seems that must have been some hidden tool that the creators aren't willing to display in CAW, as I can't connect the stations nor the pillars... this is what I have done so far:

1)Save on the catalog the Zephyr Stations from Oasis Landing, as they don't show ingame or in CAW (after unlocking them with enablelotlocking true).
2)Place several stations on CAW and connected each one with the pillars (I thought that there was some coding behind the pillars that enabled then to connect,with each other, but it isn't the case).
3)Each station has specific names to them that derive from the lot's name or you can rename them (I was with testingcheatsenabled activated).
4)Open the world ingame and the Stations AREN'T SELECTABLE AT ALL. None option is showed upon clicking them.

I would love to see a custom world with the monorails, but as far as any REAL coder/tester/modder/creator tries it for themselves, I can't do it... :-(

You can't believe anything I say... specially what I just said...
Field Researcher
#9 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 9:59 AM
Does anyone know if there's a way to get those blue-purple-silver trees and plants from the Utopian future into either ordinary OL or another world? The colour dew flower too (sorry, don't know the actual name), if possible.
I loved these in the Utopian future, I just couldn't stand all the meteors and the walking like an Imaginary Friend thing that was going on (the general whimsy and whimsy waltz and whatnot I could live with), and either way I would love to have those as an option for some fantasy or futuristic themed gardens or homeworlds. Could it be doable?
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 11:29 AM Last edited by sasdad : 5th Nov 2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Fixing Quotes
Quote: Originally posted by lucashc
4)Open the world ingame and the Stations AREN'T SELECTABLE AT ALL. None option is showed upon clicking them.

Have you tried using the Monorail path ini file in OasisLanding.world file as it is what determines the path of the monorail and what stations to go to.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ryûchan
... I just couldn't stand all the meteors and the walking like an Imaginary Friend thing that was going on (the general whimsy and whimsy waltz and whatnot I could live with), and either way I would love to have those as an option for some fantasy or futuristic themed gardens or homeworlds. Could it be doable?

About the walk style, I totally understand. I got this mod by Shimrod at the Asylum: http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...-with-swimming/

Must register first before you can look on the site, but it's worth it.

Quote:
The 1.63 mod called Do The Locomotion163 and the Swimming version of this one also have the Utopian Future walkstyle and running replaced with the normal human sim walkstyles.

One Minute Ninja'd
#12 Old 8th Nov 2013 at 12:04 AM
I can't quite figure out what to do with this future stuff. I sent my sim off to the "regular, normal" future to start out (Oh, and lewis, you're right, the klepto time traveling guy is a bitch to get rid of). Once there, I sent her off like a good parent to go shopping at the mall and emporium with my AMEX. She does quite a bit of damage, but I figure it'll be fun to bring all that crap back with her. Anyway, on Day 2, which is a Monday, I click on the mailbox at the base camp, and she's got a frigging bill for like $5K! I don't ever remember paying bills when traveling in either WA, or certainly in Uni world, did we? Moving on, she gets a hankering to head home, and I'm piled up with gifts for the present (Oh, of course, she met her descendants, 2 of whom immediately hit on her, so I know they were definitely related).

So she gets home, and it's like Christmas delivered from the Amazon future collection. There was the one that I thought would be my fave giftie, the sprite. Not too expensive, and something even a snobby sim wouldn't turn their nose up at. It wasn't until getting them spread out among the family that I discovered the fatal flaw.

When my daughter, who just started college, was young, she had these online pets. I think they were Neopets, or something like that. The problem with them was if you didn't play with them regularly, they would get all lonely, and if you didn't feed them, they freaking died from your neglect. Great guilt to lay down on a 6 year old. So while she was in Kindergarten learning how to pile up blocks, I had to log on from work to play with her damned pets to keep them happy so when she got home from school, she didn't come back to a bunch of lonely, starving cats after her tough school day.

So imagine my surprise that EA, in designing this cute little, digital sprite, borrowed one of the most annoying traits to ever exist in a game? You got it. The needy, moody sprite, whose mood declines if you don't talk to it, clean it, and even feed it, throughout the day.

Now, after playing with their sprites, and zipping around on their hoverboards (bonus points on those, I want one for real), they now all have developed Advanced Technology (AT) skills. So now they want to have special dreams, which means getting everyone those special sleeping pods. I like my collection of beds, especially my cc beds, but my sims only want to sleep in pods. And now, all my fancy stoves aren't good enough, they want the food synthesizer thing so they can upgrade it to make better synthesized food. I mean, do you really WANT to eat "Synthesized Goopy Carbonara"?

Oh, and then there are the jetpacks. Jetpack woohoo, yay! But, if my sim is instructed to use the jetpack, literally every time my sim goes to do anything, the jetpack goes on, and comes off. Out picking stuff in the garden? Jetpack on, then off, before every single bush and tree. Talk to another sim? Jetpack on and off between each "How was your day". Indoors, outdoors, doesn't matter. If they were told to use a jetpack to fly around whenever you told them to, it keeps getting put on and off with every single activity the sim does, until you can't take it anymore, and tell them to forget the jetpack for now. It reminds me of the useless fashion statement backpacks from Uni that they kept throwing on and off their shoulder every time they went to do something, except at least the jetpack DOES something.

Integrating this Future stuff with the present day Simland is not going to be a smooth transition for my game play.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Nov 2013 at 12:32 AM
Yep! I hate the sprites and been looking around for a mod to take care of those things. No wonder the future people keep popping them out and caring for them. Can't carry a normal conversation because you have to wait for them to quit playing with the thing. Ugh. Glad this save is my test world, when I go back to my normal save, all that crap is staying in the future. I did like the hoverboards and the jetpacks, but the technology skill is killing it for me too.

Forum Resident
#14 Old 8th Nov 2013 at 8:18 PM
I agree the sprites are EVIL!! I kept one in my plumbot's inventory, so he could use it when his social meter is going down. But since he's in the homeworld he hasn't used the thing anymore.

Oh, Eskie if your sims want all the future stuff and you can't afford it, here's a trick. You can build and buy on the basecamp in the future.... which means you can also put stuff in their inventory to take home. This is how I decorated my future house. Got beds, appliences, bathroom, computers, etc, all from the basecamp lol. Ok, I left some stuff so the sims there won't be starving or don't have a single bed left.