Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Improved Lighting (V7 1.19 patch)

by Shimrod101 Posted 8th Sep 2014 at 4:33 PM - Updated 4th Jun 2016 at 10:10 PM by Shimrod101 : Updated for 1.19 patch

286 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 145 Feedback Posts, 140 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 12
Instructor
THANKS POST
#126 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 12:23 AM
The stronger shadows around things looks so good. I think I'm addicted The min max intensity settings are visible in S4PE but I don't know how to actually edit and increase them. Is there an easy to do that without using a hex editor lol?
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cytosine
To those who lighting doesn't change.

I got same problem like the lighting does not make any change after I use this mod, but this problem can solve by simply replacing old lighting to new lighting.
Oh I know there is many lighting to replace, but one light will be much brighter than old one.
Its very nice!! XD

While the lighting did change the Sims still look dark like they are walking around a dim house, unless they go outside then they are completely lit up. The only way around it for me is to turn Sims detail to low then they look somewhat brighter indoors.
It has to be the Laptop mode (but I really can't play the game without it.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#128 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bandon
The stronger shadows around things looks so good. I think I'm addicted The min max intensity settings are visible in S4PE but I don't know how to actually edit and increase them. Is there an easy to do that without using a hex editor lol?

When you have the file open in s4pe, right-click on the resource (in the left hand side, not in the viewing pane) and use export to file and select the place to save it. I think you want to keep that strange name that s4pe wants to place on this file.

Use the velocitygrass Data File Tool and open this file, and edit in the right side viewing pane by double clicking on each value and typing in the new one. Save it by overwriting the original file, this is better so you don't get too many copies of this file; later on you may get confused and begin wondering which is which if you save as a new copy all the time. You can save as a new file if you want to, maybe keep each new copy (edited by you) in a different folder?

When you have the new file, open s4pe again with the mod loaded in, right-click on the resource and use Replace and select this new file, and save in s4pe.

The values I altered are these, from the original to my mod:
from Min_Intensity_0: 0.308000 to Min_Intensity_0: 0.408000
from Min_Intensity_1: 0.342000 to Min_Intensity_1: 0.442000
from Min_Intensity_2: 0.400000 to Min_Intensity_2: 0.480000

from Max_Intensity_0: 0.378000 to Max_Intensity_0: 0.478000
from Max_Intensity_1: 0.388000 to Max_Intensity_1: 0.488000
from Max_Intensity_2: 0.400000 to Max_Intensity_2: 0.500000

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#129 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 3:07 AM
Default I really enjoy this Mod, but....
I really enjoy this Mod, but the lighting at night is all messed up and blue. I hope there is a way to fix this, I enjoy the mod and use it, but the only thing that bugs me is when the lights are off in the Sims house. It looks really bad. Please fix this!

Field Researcher
#130 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 5:57 AM
Hi Shimrod, thank you so much for making all of your TS4 mods; they are incredibly useful!

I especially love the Improved Lighting mod, but I've been having an issue with it. Some rooms seem to be excessively brighter than others, even without any lights (and adding lights just makes it worse). I don't know if it's due to the sunlight streaming in from a certain direction, or because of the windows, or what, but it's very odd. I've attached a screenshot showing what I mean (the first pic) - you can see the room in the top corner of this house is incredibly bright compared to the other rooms.

And just for comparison, I've attached a screenshot of the same house without the lighting mod installed. In it, the lighting is darker but seems more uniform. You can see some extra lighting coming in from the windows in that top corner room, but it still seems consistent with the rest of the house.

Anyway, I wanted to pass along this feedback in case it's something that can be fixed easily. Thank you for all your hard work!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#131 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 11:18 PM
This mod doesn't work for me /:
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#132 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 4:26 AM
I would really like to use this mod because during the day it is lovely but at night my house does the same thing as what Sesime listed in their post.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#133 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 4:36 PM
Yes, this occurs at 9 pm when the lighting changes to some other colors or "system", I've seen this now. I haven't gotten this remade yet because of these other issues with that Homeless Townie mod and the Disappearing sims issue which I consider more important than a lighting mod.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#134 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:20 PM
Wow this is such a great mod! It's nice to be able to really see my sims in the wonderful lighting!
Test Subject
#135 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 2:05 AM
I enjoy this mod, but it seems in laptop mode my sims are dark while the rest of the house is perfectly lit.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#136 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 5:44 AM
thank you so much! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who saw issues with the original lighting. It drove me bonkers!
Lab Assistant
#137 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 8:25 PM
I've come across an interesting discovery;

I play using Laptop Mode because my Laptop is kind of just good enough to play the game (it can actually play the game pretty good) but the main problem I have is even with the lighting Mod Sims appear dark unless they are outside. So I decided to try something.

I removed the roof.
Now Sims appear as they do outside so they seem to be using the outdoor lighting which was always brighter than the inside lighting (for my game at least) I might try to use this with your mod to see if I get maximum effect that I want.

It's not a bad "fix" seeing how we don't always need to see the roof anyways lol ^_^
Instructor
#138 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
When you have the file open in s4pe, right-click on the resource (in the left hand side, not in the viewing pane) and use export to file and select the place to save it. I think you want to keep that strange name that s4pe wants to place on this file.

Use the velocitygrass Data File Tool and open this file, and edit in the right side viewing pane by double clicking on each value and typing in the new one. Save it by overwriting the original file, this is better so you don't get too many copies of this file; later on you may get confused and begin wondering which is which if you save as a new copy all the time. You can save as a new file if you want to, maybe keep each new copy (edited by you) in a different folder?

When you have the new file, open s4pe again with the mod loaded in, right-click on the resource and use Replace and select this new file, and save in s4pe.

The values I altered are these, from the original to my mod:
from Min_Intensity_0: 0.308000 to Min_Intensity_0: 0.408000
from Min_Intensity_1: 0.342000 to Min_Intensity_1: 0.442000
from Min_Intensity_2: 0.400000 to Min_Intensity_2: 0.480000

from Max_Intensity_0: 0.378000 to Max_Intensity_0: 0.478000
from Max_Intensity_1: 0.388000 to Max_Intensity_1: 0.488000
from Max_Intensity_2: 0.400000 to Max_Intensity_2: 0.500000

Thanks Shimrod! I just tried tried this and bumped the intensity of those 6 up another .1 increment and it's perfect for me. There is a drawback that when a sims ssao outline overlaps with a static object ssao outline then they cancel each other out at only that small intersection resulting in no shadowing at a small spot. I think this effect is there even with the games default settings but it's more noticeable with stronger ssao. Although I still rarely notice it now. Here's a pic I just took. Love the little shadows and depth in the corners of the floor, corners of the wall, on the treadmill, around the edges of the windows, outside on the pillar at the house through the window, and around the front door of the house through the window.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#139 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 4:47 AM
[QUOTE=MissSkitty]I enjoy this mod, but it seems in laptop mode my sims are dark while the rest of the house is perfectly lit.

Yes, but that happens in pure vanilla game without using anyone's lighting mod. I've checked that now, using laptop mode on my computer and no lighting mod installed. So that issue has nothing to do with this mod here.

I suggest you and others do anything you can to avoid using laptop mode.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#140 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 4:50 AM
I will have a new version of this sometime tomorrow, so I require no further comment on this until the new version has been tried. I'm simply checking some different hoods and times of day etc., to see if everything looks as it should.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#141 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 12:17 PM
Thank you. This will be very useful indeed!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#142 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:22 PM
looks really good, waiting for the new version then! :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#143 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 4:43 PM
Thanks much.
Test Subject
#144 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:05 AM
Hi Shimrod101! I don't know which issue you asked to not comment, but that thing shown in Sesime's screenshot where some objects have a very bright highlight occurs even during the day and even when there is no windows and lights! Is this fixed in your new version?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#145 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 9:52 AM
Yes, that issue is fixed, in the V4 version that isn't released yet.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#146 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 10:38 PM
This mod is remade as V4. I am relatively confident that it will be acceptable to most players who might be considering using a lighting mod.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#147 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 12:13 AM
Have I told you lately that I love you? XD Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#148 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 1:51 AM
Thanks for the update!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#149 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 8:36 AM
Thank you so much for the update! It looks very different! It looks smooth and evenly lit without bleeding light! I like it this way
Test Subject
#150 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 10:58 AM
Will this work only with the last patch?
Page 6 of 12