Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#226 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 4:15 AM Last edited by lil bag2 : 2nd Oct 2015 at 2:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by alittlebird101
I don't really understand the love for 2 (1 will forever remain dear to my heart). I mean, I was obsessed with it when it came out and for many years thereafter until 3 was released. I even cancelled dates (multiple times) and outings with friends so that I could spend time with my sims - it was awesome. But now? The loading screens/times are atrocious. The graphics outdated (I understand this isn't an issue for some people, but for me it is). No open world and not even limited in the way that 4 is.

Well I can't speak for anyone else but for me, The Sims 2 is just...everything. I don't know what it is but everything about it just seems more...alive than the other two games. Everything just feels more natural than in TS3 or TS4. Even with TS3's open world and near limitless customization options, I still find myself preferring TS2 when it comes to actual gameplay. Then we have...TS4....I like it.....CAS is awesome.....but....it just feels so limited when you play it then go back to playing TS2 or TS3. I don't even think future expansions will help, really.

Quote:
So 3 came out and I adored it, and still do, however I find myself playing 4 more often. Why? 3 just does not run as smoothly for me as 4 does (although I'll admit that I've had a few hiccups with 4 recently). And the sims are so fugly in 3. I understand this is more of a "me" problem - that is, I don't really like making sims and I don't download pre-made sims who require mods to make them pretty. I guess maybe I've just been spoiled by 4 in that regard, as I don't recall having cared much about it back when I played 3.

This was actually part of the reason I switched from TS3 to TS4. But now that my TS3 is running at least somewhat decently (at the expense of my graphics quality. But oh well. I can still work with medium) I haven't even really given TS4 that much thought. I'm not gonna say I'm done with it but now it's just....sorta there. Now I have TS2 and a (kinda) smooth running TS3. It just makes me feel like "....what do I need TS4 for now?"

I've literally spent hours playing The Sims today. The only time I'm able to do that in TS4 is when I'm building a house.

The Receptacle still lives!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#227 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
I think there was a topic about stuff that we missed from the other Sims games and I think it was mixed with other threads in this one, so I'm gonna add some stuff.
Yep, rather than a debate thread, I'd love a whole section where we could talk about all Sims games and the franchise. I didn't realize the clocks tracked time. Was that in Sims 2 or 3? I'm pretty sure the clocks were just decorative in Sims 1.

Often, I wish I could take the best from each series and combine it. Instead, I find myself going back and forth between all the games. I also find myself wanted to play all of my families at once, which is crazy. When I play with one family, I start thinking about another, but when the families get too large, I want to separate them so I can focus on just one or two and not be interrupted by all the others. I am not a happy Sim god.
Hanging with the Gnomies
#228 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Yep, rather than a debate thread, I'd love a whole section where we could talk about all Sims games and the franchise.

What a great idea!

We could talk about gnomes. Did you know that there have been gnomes in Sims 1, 2, 3 and 4?
Mad Poster
#229 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 6:29 PM
Ohmygawsh does ts3 have alarm clocks? I totally forgot about those from ts2. But I would never use them because they were set to go off an hour after my sims wake up (they woke up at 6 am and it goes off at 7 am)
Top Secret Researcher
#230 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
I know the feeling. When I start playing TS4 I can't help but think of the things I'm missing from the older games. But then if I play the other games I'm missing TS4 for some reason as well.

It's because it's different and has an appealing style. I have the urge to play ts4 sometimes as well, probably because there are some new things that you can't do in previous games. But about half an hour into the game, and I get bored.

Usually, when I get bored in previous installments, i would go to build something, or create sims... but in TS4, customisation is more limited than in TS2 or TS3. I like how you can build anything in ts2 and even more in ts3 (CAW) with use of terrain (CFE cheat), ponds, moveobjects, 45DegreeAngleOfRotation... and it was a challenge, but a fun one. In TS4, it is no more a challenge, but whatever you do, it just doesn't look the way you wanted to, and you end up being bored once again...it just, well, bland.

Also, here is the comparison between games feature wise (I have accidentally stumbled upon this website):

TS2: https://www.gamecupid.com/games/sims-2

TS3: https://www.gamecupid.com/games/sims-3

TS4: https://www.gamecupid.com/games/sims-4

Scroll down to Feature Rainbow. Also, the spinoff "The Sims Medieval" has more features than TS4, and TS1 has almost same number of features as TS4.
Top Secret Researcher
#231 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 6:55 PM Last edited by mixa97sr : 16th Oct 2015 at 12:59 AM.
That's why I don't enjoy TS4... traits do not matter. They only add few different interactions that only player can choose, and a new trait related wish. TS2 and TS3 at least had some trait autonomy (even though it wasn't as much as players wanted to).

Yet there were hobbies in ts2 (free time EP), that actually had enormous effect in sims personality, as higher enthusiasm in certain activity would affect what sims do most of the time.
Also, I don't really think that this is a thing, but I noticed a pattern in TS2 that made me think that sims have habbits as well (like drinking cofee, brushing teeth, taking bubble baths, watering plants, diving in pool). These usually occur after sims get back from work. I do not know if other players have those, but I thought that theese add a lot to my game (they occured and lasted ever since last year, after UC update).
Instructor
#232 Old 21st Oct 2015 at 11:38 AM
Sims 1: Deviant's dream game.
Sims 2: Family player's dream game
Sims 3: Builder's dream game especially with CAW and CAST
Sims 4: Single Sim/Party Dream game

Order of my favorites including side games is TS2>TS1>TS3>TS2LS/TS2CS/TS2PS>TSF>TS4.
Mad Poster
#233 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 1:29 PM
I would like more flexibility in building, too , as well as more larger lots. It fits what I like to do in a Sims game better than playing suburbia. This game doesn't seem to be set up to be as open to design as the others were. I still like it, however.
Test Subject
#234 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Scobre
Order of my favorites including side games is TS2>TS1>TS3>TS2LS/TS2CS/TS2PS>TSF>TS4.

Emphasis by me.

I just installed TS2 Life Stories, because I realized that I never played any of the "Stories" titles, and my first play session lasted longer than my total play-time for TS4.
I don't even like TS2, all that much. Yet, this extremely cut down version is still more entertaining and engaging to me than TS4.

I am really not sure how I feel about this. Should I be sad and angry over the wasted potential, or just grateful that we have better alternatives with the previous titles?
Retired
retired moderator
#235 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 4:03 PM
It is 5am and I'm a bit tipsy. I have just finished my Fine Art degree, and was thinking of looking at The Sims 4 to see if it had improved. So I read about Get to Work on Simsvip and thought, hell, *maybe* I'll try it. So I logged into Origin, saw that it costs NZ$50, and promptly logged out.

I love The Sims 4. It has already saved me a couple of hundred dollars.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#236 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 9:01 PM
I'll offer my self-important opinion here for whatever reason. I wrote a long piece in the text box that got to be a ramble, so burninated it.

Instead, I'll write out the summary short and sweet. I may come back to the Sims 4 in the future when it's feature complete and much cheaper. However, that will only happen if I keep following it on sales, which requires more emotional investment than I'm willing to give this iteration. So I'll probably just stick to Sims 2 for the better Sims and interactions, and maybe sometimes Sims 3 when I miss the open world.

boob noun

1.a stupid person; fool; dunce.
Test Subject
#237 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 6:11 PM
I was really hesitant to pick up the sims 4 (the lack of pools I didn't care about, but toddlers and ghosts were a real killer for me). But after reading in a few places how it was *similar* to TS2, just more watered down, I finally bit the bullet. And, not even gonna lie, I kind of love it. Maybe it's just because I've only been playing for a week, but I really like what this game introduces. Moods and emotions are fun. I have a bit of cc that make emotions more challenging to me (try romancing a sim with the hipster trait and see what I mean), but by and large, I really like their implementation. For me, it was like when aspirations were introduced into TS2. And I can't even begin to talk about how glad I am that friends are not a requirement for promotions anymore. Hilariously enough, my sims seem to make friends more organically, and ultimately seem to be having better friendships now that I'm not forcing 10+ friends on them to get them to the top of the career track. That's a huge improvement for me, because friend management was one of the aspects I hated most about TS2 (introvert, hi!). I could go on, but overall, it just feels a lot more dynamic to me, and I already feel more invested in my sims than I probably should -- something that I found lacking in the last iteration.

There's definitely some aspects I miss (*cough* toddlers, normal careers, various NPCs, WEATHER!!!), but I'm hoping they'll be introduced later on in expansion packs. For now though, as a die hard TS2 fan, I'm really enjoying TS4 for what it is. I hated TS3 though, so take that for what you will. My two cents is that if you're coming from TS2, and don't mind waiting for a few things (that yes, should be base game material by now, but what can you do?) TS4 feels like a better successor to that game than TS3 did.

...no offense to TS3 people. I know a lot of people loved it, but the open world and story progression and even CASt just didn't make frying my graphics card, or the long load times worth it for me.
Test Subject
#238 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 12:57 AM
Even though I eagerly awaited and got sims4 on release day, it has been a little boring for me and crashed or froze a good amount in the beginning. So it is about even between TS3 and TS2 for me now depending on my mood. I play more for the family dynamics so just waiting for sims 4 to add more and update the game more before I will give it a go again.

IN WAR, PRAY OVER THE DEAD AND RIDE ON, FOR THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER FIGHT ON THE HORIZON.
Field Researcher
#239 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 2:29 PM
I cracked. Have bought both expansions, but not the stuff packs. I love the CAS too much, enjoy creating for TS4, and enjoy being part of something current even if it's not what it could be. TS3 was so unsatisfactory and bloated that I paid for nothing except the base game (and regret that *not at all*, because I can't seem to come up with an EP configuration which is enjoyable enough to decide which to buy, and do not even have it installed), so here is my amnesty post: am paying for TS4 because it's the right thing to do after stealing TS3.

It's people like me that make EA want to charge so much for this ish. I mean, they're hardly going to listen to the wants of people who aren't paying in the first place. I am now a time-poor university student and prefer to pay for things and not have to wait. I know it's not gonna be great, but it is quite convenient being able to bulk reinstall games from Origin/Steam, and I have so much stuff on Steam that I've played less than TS4 (I calculate what to buy based on how much it gets used) so it's only fair.

Expect me back in a day's time saying it wasn't worth it for the quality of the game, but morally, it already is.
Test Subject
#240 Old 25th Dec 2015 at 1:56 PM
Well, I've played both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, and they're the main reason for me not to move on to The Sims 4, along with the price EA's charging for way too little content. However, with the Christmas sale Origin currently is running, The Sims 4 Deluxe + Get to Work cost me half of what The Sims 4 Deluxe normally costs on its own. So yeah, I finally cracked as well. I have literally no expectations whatsoever of this game based on what I've read and heard. If it manages to keep me entertained for a few hours, I'll consider it money well spent.
Lab Assistant
#241 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 1:04 AM
Default Anyone feels the same?
I have to admit, they did pretty well doing sims 3 EPs compared to Sims 4 EPs, their get together seems like ALOT is missing. Sims 3 have their feast and gift giving party. They released an EP named GET TOGETHER and how in the sim's hell world did they messed up on this one.. just one frustrated player here
Forum Resident
#242 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 1:45 AM
Different fish bite on different bait. They're just testing out their new lures on us fish. If you don't want to be reeled in.. don't bite.
Me... i've been dinner on multiple occasions =o Lookin forward to the next bait! =D

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Field Researcher
#243 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 2:25 AM
1 and 2 are miles ahead of the abominations of 3 and 4. I would recommend 2 over 4 any day of the week, even without expansion packs.

lemonade
Lab Assistant
#244 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
Different fish bite on different bait. They're just testing out their new lures on us fish. If you don't want to be reeled in.. don't bite.
Me... i've been dinner on multiple occasions =o Lookin forward to the next bait! =D

Guess you are right ..just another disappointment from the producers
Mad Poster
#245 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 8:11 AM
TS3 be amazing when compared to TS4, which is sad because TS3 be worse than TS2. With every new game the quality just gets worse because EA gets caught up in the business aspect of gaming, rather than the creative aspect. They have effectively lost sight of what made this series addicting and fun in their pursuit of money, and so now they just release a soulless remnant of what once was.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#246 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 12:05 PM
TS4 has its good and bad like all things and the EPs are not as feature rich as I would like, but what did catch me by surprise was that the get together ep is more adult oriented than the base game was.
Test Subject
#248 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 4:29 PM
I'm back. Well. It went... probably a little better than expected. The neighbourhood screen scared the shit out of me with its likeness to The Sims Social, and there was a small while where a silently cursed myself for literally throwing away the money. Then I took a deep breath and tried to look past it and go into build mode. It's not that bad, actually. The most positive thing so far is the search bar, although it could use a reprogramming (I don't need it to replace my search word with the name of an object, I want the results to display all objects with a name that includes my search word at once). I also jumped straight into a Doctor-career to test some aspects of Get To Work as well, and it worked out pretty well. I think I actually like it better compared to TS3 Ambitions, because the tasks never stop coming throughout the day.

In short, the game in itself reminds me hugely of The Sims Social with a dash of "Barbie dollhouse", mainly because it is so achievement-oriented (the parties, the workplace and so on), and also because of the neightbourhood screen. The gameplay flows smoothly, but that it to be expected when it is so constrained. I did get tired after the loading screens after a while, because my sim mainly went work-home-work, and the loading screens were quite disrupting to the game flow, in my opinion. I'm shuddering at the thought of getting a family going, because of the baby-stuck-in-the-crib + toddler issues, but that's just how it is. All n all, it's not too bad. It just could've been so much more and so much better. TS3 beats it easily.
Lab Assistant
#249 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 4:17 AM
I wonder if Maxis' target demographic has changed.
Mad Poster
#250 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 5:10 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 28th Dec 2015 at 5:28 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by AncientRome
I wonder if Maxis' target demographic has changed.

It does feel a bit more targeted towards the facebook/twitter/pinterest/tumblr crowd, IMO.

Everything feels sort of "perpetually picture perfect", where all surroundings are colourful & pretty, where all the people are colourful & cute and all the objects are colorful & perfect. It's hard to stray from the art style since nearly everything surrounding your sims has been designed a certain way.

All their actions are "adorable", and heck, even death and suffering seem even more like inconveniences than before.

It's like a giant cupcake.
Page 10 of 20