Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#201 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 3:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KLTboy
I don't either. That's why I was so shocked to see my thread merged into a thread that was barely active.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's funny (to me) that one person of authority deemed my thread to be safe for discussion and then another came in overruled that decision. Oh well. I'm not trying to be a sourpuss, I just thought that my thread was something that we could contribute to in a professional and respectful manner.
If the mods were saying the thread was unacceptable, they would have locked it or deleted it. Instead, they merged it with a thread that could very well be lively. There's no reason the discussion can't continue here.
Advertisement
Theorist
#202 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 4:44 AM
But the discussion has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. I thought we were supposed to stay on-topic!

KLTboy you did nothing wrong. It's just not safe to post at this website any more if another forum member or a mod doesn't like what's being said.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#203 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 5:05 AM
The discussion is evaluative and is therefore is more on the topic of Sims in general than it is about what's happening in a particular game or questions or tips about a particular game. There's no reason to not continue the discussion, unless we'd rather discuss why it was moved or to speculate about what's ok or not ok to talk about.

Quote:
It's just not safe to post at this website any more if another forum member or a mod doesn't like what's being said.
If the thread was considered not ok, it would have been deleted or locked.
Theorist
#204 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 6:39 AM
I thought this thread was a bunch of people arguing which game they thought was the best.

Then again, I've never stepped foot in this thread before today. And for the record, I have no desire to ever come back.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#205 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:20 PM
It doesn't have to be arguments about which game is the best, although it was presented that way. There's no reason it can't be more robust. Personally, I would love to see a section for discussing Sims in general with threads like which game is best, commentary or evaluation on the franchise, thoughts about what the next Sims game might look like, and some sharing of the history.

I check this thread frequently, myself.
Mad Poster
#206 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Personally, I would love to see a section for discussing Sims in general with threads like which game is best, commentary or evaluation on the franchise, thoughts about what the next Sims game might look like, and some sharing of the history.

No thanks. Enough bad will has been generated and blood spilt over these sort of things.
Mad Poster
#207 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
No thanks. Enough bad will has been generated and blood spilt over these sort of things.
Well, that's this thread, actually. I haven't seen any bloody noses here.
Scholar
#208 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Both of the threads I merged had been reported for flaming / harrassment. If you can't have a civilised conversation then at least keep it in one place and do not spam the rest of the forum with it.

Hm, I think it could be a problem if someone's thread is closed/merged because others (other then the OP) are harassing/flaming. I mean how would you be able to prevent this as OP? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to just warn the people who harass or flame instead? Otherwise people could just sabotage anyone's thread by using personal attacks with as goal to get the thread closed.

Also, I might be misunderstanding, but merging threads because both had been reported for flaming? What about the topics of those threads?
Scholar
#209 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 12:39 AM
So, I was on "FAIL Blog" today and in the "I Can Has Opinion?" survey this popped up:

Do you miss The Sims?

Yes!: 18%

Nah: 43%

The Sims?: 15%

I still play: 24%

So, basically, they've lost the bulk of their players, but could potentially boost their numbers by fixing/changing the game for that 18% that miss it but aren't playing it for whatever reason. Don't know if there is enough incentive in those numbers to really make it worthwhile though.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Mad Poster
#210 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 10:21 AM
I'm always a little surprised at people who stop playing the Sims. I never understand why or how they move past it, but I know several who say, "Oh, I used to play that", whether their idea of Sims stopped with 1, 2 or 3. I get the impression it was something that was a part of their childhood or like some TV show that they remember in the past.

Is FAIL Blog a place where you saw lots of Sims players in the past?
Forum Resident
#211 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 11:15 AM
The problem with taking too much from a specific forum poll is that it always represents a small amount of the playerbase. Like simsvip polls tend to be very positive, why not? Likely the people that visit the site are anxious to see new sims news and are current players. "The Sims?" would never even be an option on a poll there. Still a lot of people take those polls. (10,000...) and it's still a small % of the player base.

Failblog is not even a videogame site, so who knows what you will get and how it relates to the poll.

So I don't know. The Sims 2 was a selling phenomenon too, just like those old Pokemon games and WOW it may just be unrealistic to try and aim for those kind of sales again. It's like the MMOs that go after WoW's subscriber base but WOW has lost more subs than most MMOs have had in the entirety of their lifespan. So yeah, maybe EA isn't looking to get those people back because sometimes a game releases at the right time and does the right things and becomes a huge hit. It's sorta like the Wii-U, nintendo tried to mimic the success of the Wii but it can't. The Original Wii was the right thing to come at the right time. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle and maybe that's just what Sims 2 was sells wise.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Retired
retired moderator
#212 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 5:57 PM
So KLTBoy's thread did end here. These forums have become such a bitter farce.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Scholar
#213 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 7:17 PM Last edited by kattenijin : 25th Aug 2015 at 7:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Is FAIL Blog a place where you saw lots of Sims players in the past?

That particular survey app isn't really a part of FAIL Blog. I'm not sure exactly where it's based, but I see it on many websites, with many different topics. There were actually 5 or 6 questions in total, I just found the Sims one appropriate to the thread. (The fact that I saw it on FAIL Blog also seemed appropriate.)

(non Sims related)

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Field Researcher
#214 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsica
Maybe this is the place to once again vent my frustration with TS3? In comparison to TS2, maybe? Nah, I can't do that anymore. Atm, it is not installed, I deleted everything and all having to do with TS3 from my PC - that's how angry I was when last TS3 and I had an ...altercation. But I still love it. I admit, I'm guilty of loving the stupid thing. There. But it is killing me when I play it. Always the same - I stand in awe at first, am mesmerized and overwhelmed with joy that it even exists, and then couple of months into it, it bugs out on me. At that point, having already spent countless hours and days on tweaking it to work properly, I don't have the nerves to deal, so I uninstall it. But I can already see how it will return to haunt me in the future. Because I love the game. Despite the Sims never reaching the level of TS2 Sims, despite it never getting a proper OFB type of EP, etc. Despite the bugs.

TS2. It seems it is here to stay with me for a long time, no matter TS3 or my love/hate, passionate relationship with it. I love TS2 with no reserves - it is the most interesting game ever made imo. It is an experiment of sorts, that's how I see it, and my gameplay always somehow has this experimentation in it. A proper, true, complex sandbox in which I can create stories and challenges with great freedom. This freedom is what I love about TS2, besides its wonderful Sims and that precious EP that brought it all together so nicely - OFB. The open world of TS3 is also precious imo, but this TS2 EP has created the feeling - and the reality - of a community that the open world of TS3, ironically, has never matched. Yes, one of my fav gripes with the silly game.

Unlike TS3, with which I have a passionate love/hate relationship, TS4 has never managed to get me intrigued enough to even try it out. Reasons are many: the price, Origin, 32-bit exe, DirectX9, they all come before even considering the missing content. And the missing content in itself is quite enough to put me into the denial mode. I don't consider that game to be a Sims title, namely. I will only mention Mr. Sausages here, in conclusion. Follow his adventures and the adventures of his counterparts in TS2 and TS3, and you'll get a general picture of the series and the main reason I dislike TS4.

The Sims, the original, was special. The challenge, the humor, the novelty. It was the most surprising game I ever saw - it convinced me that even grown ups can have fun playing "video games", that even I can do it, and with great interest. It was my first game, and it was the first gift that my boyfriend has given me. Quite a special game, and there's no reason to compare it to anything. It will always be loved by me, even if I never again see it or play it in my life.

To sum it up:
TS - special, historical
TS2 - adored
TS3 - love/hate, passion
TS4 - thanks, but I'll pass

Thank you. Been up all last night reading the story from start till finish. Fantastic! She used the game and Mr. S to hit on so many flaws to the emotional system that was "So worthy o leaving toddlers and many other base game skills out on". She did it with fun and humor that even the gurus would get a chuckle out of. Not only that but her examples showed them where they went wrong and gave them a starting point to make it better. Also, helped that she was a skilled animator with a good eye for detail, story-boarding and presentation. Thanks for sharing. Hope she comes back and does more.
Scholar
#215 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
That particular survey app isn't really a part of FAIL Blog. I'm not sure exactly where it's based, but I see it on many websites, with many different topics. There were actually 5 or 6 questions in total, I just found the Sims one appropriate to the thread. (The fact that I saw it on FAIL Blog also seemed appropriate.)

(non Sims related)

What use are those statistics though? I mean, how many of them are teenagers?
Forum Resident
#216 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 3:41 PM
Someone above mentioned that Sims in TS4 are a modernized version of TS2 simmies and I totally agree. They are kind of small and so cute to watch. lol
I wish that the Wants and Fears system was the same as in TS2, though, and that Aspiration failure would make a come back. :D
But, anyway, TS4 gives me again that feeling of coziness that I get while playing The Sims 2. It all depends on how you play it, really. If you are a family oriented player like me you will adore the parent child interactions.
Also, kids in TS2 and TS4 are the cutest ever.
:lovestruc
Test Subject
#217 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
So KLTBoy's thread did end here. These forums have become such a bitter farce.

I'm truly sorry to read this. I'm a lurker at heart, as my current title might indicate but my signup date is 2004 so I've been
around for every iteration of The Sims since the very beginning but I have to admit that since the launch of Sims 4, I haven't
even been bothering to lurk much at all because frankly, the current version seems like little more than a cash grab while the creativity
and invention of the original Sims under the direction of Will Wright is a thing of the past and that's such a sad reality to be faced
with for a long time Sims fan like myself.

So now when I visit ModtheSims again in the hopes that maybe there might be new information about Sims 4 that might change my
mind, I'm reading more about how the mods of this site are more interested in minimizing dissenting opinions rather than letting them
be heard.

I guess it's just a sign of the times. Sad.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to point out how I'm always captivated by the fact that the current users viewing Sims 3 always dwarfs the users
viewing Sims 4 and this is something that's been of note even when Sims 4 first launched where the numbers were tied but now
as I write this, 36 are viewing this Sims 4 forum whilst over 100 are viewing the Sims 3 forum.

What more needs to be said?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#218 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 8:06 AM
There are currently more of us on the Sims 2 board than the Sims 4.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#219 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 3:57 PM
I come here less and less because of the negativity. Sorry if people don't like that, but it's true and I've heard the same thing said to me by other Sims 4 players.
Lab Assistant
#220 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 11:30 PM
I agree VerDeTerre, some people do actually enjoy TS4 and are willing to give the game a chance and time.

It's frustrating to see people who don't own the game rag on it.
Even worse to see people who have only played a short time, a long time ago, continue to be negative.

From a person who has no life and has played over 200 hours (according to Origin), I am still discovering new things.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#221 Old 21st Sep 2015 at 12:15 AM
My favourite game changes from time to time. I adored Sims 1, but didn't play it for several years after Sims 2 was released. I played Sims 2 to death but dropped it for Sims 3 (that CAW tool!). Sims 3 got dropped after Showtime, because I got frustrated with having to constantly find space in my worlds for new lot types (I think Sims 1 and 2 handled community lots best by having the objects on the lot define the lot useage, not a lot type flag).

With Sims 4 I really love the way the game looks- the sims are how I would imagine 3d versions of Sims 1 sims would appear. The cartoon artstyle suits the game as I prefer it, as I'm not one for the hyper-realism that some players strive to. I couldn't get too excited about the gameplay though- even with the interactive plumbob thing I had with the game. Somehow I wasn't as absorbed as I'd expected, so I only casually play Sims 4.

Now, I have Sims 1, 2, 3 and 4 installed, and I play them all from time to time. Sims 2 is current favourite, as I dug out a bunch of old neighboourhoods I made.
Field Researcher
#222 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 7:45 PM
I think The Sims 2 is my favorite. Maybe The Sims 4 will be that some day, but so far I've been disappointed with the base game and the first expansion. Seeing some of my favorite things from Sims 2 spread into stuff packs doesn't help.
But I want The Sims 4 to be good. Maybe eventually.
Field Researcher
#223 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 12:23 AM
TS4 is the biggest failure of all-time. The fact that there's loading screens & no open world kills all hope.

TS3 with all of its issues is better than TS4. It has an open world and that is so important.

TS2 LOVE IT <3 It is perfection.

TS - Love it.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Test Subject
#224 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 12:06 PM
My favourite game was Sims 3 the colour wheel and pattern chooser was the best. I liked most of the expansions especially Paradise Island.. The Sims 2 was also a great game and the custom content was great for that game.
I am not as impressed with sims 4. to me all the sims look alike, I hate that so much of the content is locked and I dont like the moods they interfere with my story line a lot of the time, To me all Sim games are played for my stories so I don't like when it tells me what I have to do an example is when you throw a party.
Test Subject
#225 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 6:34 PM
I don't really understand the love for 2 (1 will forever remain dear to my heart). I mean, I was obsessed with it when it came out and for many years thereafter until 3 was released. I even cancelled dates (multiple times) and outings with friends so that I could spend time with my sims - it was awesome. But now? The loading screens/times are atrocious. The graphics outdated (I understand this isn't an issue for some people, but for me it is). No open world and not even limited in the way that 4 is.

So 3 came out and I adored it, and still do, however I find myself playing 4 more often. Why? 3 just does not run as smoothly for me as 4 does (although I'll admit that I've had a few hiccups with 4 recently). And the sims are so fugly in 3. I understand this is more of a "me" problem - that is, I don't really like making sims and I don't download pre-made sims who require mods to make them pretty. I guess maybe I've just been spoiled by 4 in that regard, as I don't recall having cared much about it back when I played 3.
Page 9 of 20