Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*Recolourable* Wrought Iron modular stairs

by Numenor Posted 7th Apr 2005 at 5:48 PM - Updated 9th Nov 2005 at 11:09 PM by Numenor

53 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 50 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Instructor
#26 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 12:49 PM
Hmm, I could *try*, I've never messed with stairs though. I guess what would be best is to clone it dependant on your original so it will grab the recolors. So the way to do that in SimPE now is to NOT check "create as a stand alone object"? Also, if I clone the black stairs will it know to allow the space below to be used or should I clone Holy Smokes and swap it's mesh for this one?

Sorry for all the questions. :O
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 3:57 PM
You can't clone an object and automatically make it "dependant" of the original; the "create stand-alone" option can be used only when you are cloning an object that is already linked to another object (e.g. a living chair that is linked to the sofa), in order to break the links that bound them. SimPE currently can't create those links: it should be done manually (see Tutorial: Procedure B).

As for the space under the stairs, I guess that it will not be useable anyway; maybe cloning the recolourable Holy Smoke and swapping the meshes will work. In this case, linking the cloned stairs to the Wrough Iron will be a little difficult, since the subset names are different (it should be possible, though, with some manual work...).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 13th Apr 2005 at 4:15 PM
Love your work. Thank you, very much.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 6:25 PM
Numenor, I can't seem to recolor the 2nd step from the bottom with the design tool, should I try harder? It's unselectable. But I'm happy anyway now that the stair recoloring finally works! Thanks!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 8:15 PM
Blubug, try and rotate the view until you face the side of the stairs, and then zoom in: it will be easiar to select it (the second step is always the most difficult, I don't know why...)
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 9:45 AM
Okay I'll try that tonight when I get to play thanks!!!
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 22nd Apr 2005 at 6:38 PM
not working
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 22nd Apr 2005 at 7:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nuttytartjan
not working

Exactly, what is "not working"? Don't expect to find a "custom" stair in the catalog, since the recolourable version replaces the original one.

Or maybe you can't change its colour? You have to download some additional recolours and apply them to the stairs following the instructions provided in Post #1.

If the problem is none of the above, please give me some more details.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Field Researcher
#34 Old 22nd Apr 2005 at 9:00 PM
works great, but...i have to put the railings on it before recolour, not after...
But that doens't mind, i have white stairs now, and am very happy with it...
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 22nd Apr 2005 at 9:11 PM
Theunicorn, if you forget to put the railings before recolouring the stairs, you can do this:
- put the railings on the recoloured stairs (the stairs will temporarily revert to the original colour)
- save and go to Neihborhood view
- reload the lot you were working on: the stairs will be displyed in the new colour and with the railings.

Test Subject
#36 Old 4th May 2005 at 10:29 PM
Thank you very much. The stairs works fine.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 17th May 2005 at 8:05 AM
Wow! I cant make it by myself! thnx good work!
Field Researcher
#38 Old 20th May 2005 at 7:04 AM
Your creations are just amazing! :argh: it's like you know exactly what ppl are looking for
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 29th May 2005 at 9:51 AM
Lovely stairs. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 3:07 AM
Your stuff is always amazingly good, and just what I had been wishing someone would make! Thanks for sharing!

Wilson:"House! Why did you let your unstable patient roam the hallways?"

House:"His leash broke!"
Space Pony
#41 Old 23rd Jun 2005 at 3:38 PM
I have downloaded this, but the only wrought iron stairs I see right now are black.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 24th Jun 2005 at 9:11 AM
It's exactly how it should be
My wrought iron stairs are exactly the same as the originals, and actually override the original: you won't see any difference. But there is a difference: now it's recolourable, meaning that you can create/download recolours for it (this was not possible with the original Maxis one).

Download some recolours from the "Recolours for the Wrought Iron Stairs" thread, install them in the downloads folder and finally you'll have multiple colour choice!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 5:20 PM
Thanks, I really look forward to having more stairs options

Welcome to my sites for Free Downloads

Test Subject
#44 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 9:28 AM
Thank you numenor for these wonderful stairs.
I downloaded it, but if i want extract them with WinRAR it says: Unexpected end of archive .
Do you know how i can make them work???

Sry, my english isnt very good, i am german.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 5:19 PM
Very kwl, thank you, downloadin them now
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 5:22 PM
xMonsterx - My only guess is that the rar got corrupted while downloading; please re-download it.

Test Subject
#47 Old 3rd May 2006 at 5:17 AM
Trouble
I have downloaded these stairs 3 different times, plus all the recolors I could find and I cannot get them to show up in my game! When I place the black wrought iron stairs, then click the design tool to recolor them, it says they are not designable! I really want these stairs! There are no white stairs in the game! Can anyone please help me!? I didn't have any problems downloading them, and I placed them in my downloads folder. Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 6th Oct 2006 at 2:55 AM
Default stair tutorial
Will you be writing a new tutoril for the new SimPE verion 58 on modular stairs ?

If so when can we expect it? I can't do it in the new SimPE 58 version.

Thank you .
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#49 Old 6th Oct 2006 at 11:08 PM
A tutorial about cloning the modular stairs? They can be cloned like any other objects. Only difference is that they have TEN meshes to edit at once...

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 1st Feb 2007 at 3:14 AM
grazie tante! Tanti baci! mwa mwa!

"Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever".
R.I.P Brandon Lee
Page 2 of 3