Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 2:26 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default What laptop will run the sims2
I wondering what the is the lowest level laptop I can get that will run the sims2. I was able to run sims2 with a work around on windows 10. My old laptop died and I lost with out my sims and this mac I am typing from is no help.Looking to buy a laptop but the system specs are greek to me hard to find out what I should purchase.
Any and all suggestions welcome. Thank you fellow simmers.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 10:23 AM
I have the same question, so I will follow this thread.

What I wonder in particular is which hardware brands (e.g. graphic cards) are *not* compatible with TS2, so we can filter out those specs.
Scholar
#3 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 1:27 PM
Any complying with the game base "recommended" hardware configuration. However, that kind of machine may require robbing the museum, or grandpa, searching for used/refurbished collectioners' list etc. So - in more realistical scenario (considering also that you mentioned W10) minimal would be:

CPU: any equal or above SandyBridge line (iX-2xxx) - that's really the bottom line,
RAM: minimum 8GB for resonable use (it may be less without the Windows 10 installation),
GPU:any equivalent or better than HD4000 (iGPU or GPU) - practically every laptop GPU (manufacturer regardless) since 2009 would be fine,
the game works perfectly fine with iGPUs as long as you can manage your expectations, if you really want to push the limits then you need to invest in something better ofc.

for better overall comfort you'd want something newer, obviously (until there is such kind of machine around in house/office taking dust) so...

Ebay US seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941967338...7Cclp%3A2334524

it's just a demonstration, you shoud be able to find such machine cheaper.
Because this Windows 11 TPM 2 nonsense (great idea: increasing security by depending on well known security risk ) there may be significant influx of Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake lines (iX-4xxx/iX-5xxx/iX-6xxx) machines to the market, soon. It already started with older lines of some manufacturers (Lenovo, Dell), just look around.

@Softlism
everything created after the game last patch wil be "incompatible" by definition. That does not mean such hardware won't work, you just need to tell the game what it is. In most cases using GraphicRules generator from leefish will be enough.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Inventor
#4 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 2:25 PM
@ElaineNuella: thank you for the detailed advice! I've already managed to tweak the GraphicRules etc to make it work on a Win 10 laptop, but sometimes I experience crashing/pink-flashing because my laptop only has 2 GB ram (thus cannot apply the 4 GB patch).

But I wondered whether or not there are certain brands of newer CPU/GPU were not compatible to run TS2 stably despite modifying the essential files, like GraphicRules.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 2:31 PM
You mention it may be found cheaper any cheats for us? Suggested websites.Itching to play sims2 again.
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 6:09 PM
@Softlism

there's really no reason why they should give any pain by themselves - the devil may be hidden in the particular drivers (NVidia just love to make some cloak&dagger maneuvres from time to time) or just Windows shenanigans (as usual). It may require some additional steps with some particularly stubborn configuration, though, it happens quite rarely and players updates the necessary data on the regular basis.

@tj7717
I don't know where you live (that's why I've put the US eBay as a generalised example). On your local market of refurbished/used machines it may be cheaper or more expensive. It is not something which can be determined worldwide. I saw lately large shipment of Lenovo's T470 on the used/refurbished market with prices between 360-450$ (at the Euro/$ exchange course as of today) in practically mint condition.

Large companies puts such machines (lenovo, Dell, pick your poison) at last twice a year in substantial quantities. They're usually in quite good condition - with exception for the battery ofc. You can also get really good pick just from some local junk-store. It happens. Needs some research and a bit of patience, though.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 10:00 PM
Thank you for all your help. My name is actually Elaine also. Its just not my username.
Scholar
#8 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 7:28 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 19th Oct 2021 at 7:40 PM.
sry for dissapointment, this is my old (very old indeed) D&D character name. However the image resembles me (from the times when I actually had still some hairs )

have fun

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 7:34 PM
@ElaineNualla Ok so another quick question. Does the above mentioned laptop have a cd or dvd drive. I am choosing to reinstall with that since I dont trust the the links the ultimate collection and don't necessarily want all the expansions.
Scholar
#10 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 7:40 PM
this one does not - at that time CD/DVDs started to vanishing from smaller factor (14/15") laptops. It's not a problem though - you can plug in (USB 2 port) external DVD/R (costs in my country ~20$) and run the discs from there.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 7:49 PM
Ok I am purchasing an external cd dvd drive thingie. Just hoping it's fool safe and user friendly.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 11:15 PM
I was thrilled to find my new laptop plays sims 2 just fine! It's a HP, this one:

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/produ...opt=ABU&sel=NTB

But absolutely gutted to learn the hard way that it can't cope with newer games (Planet Zoo, sob!) and people who actually know what they're talking about tell me it's generally absolute poo for gaming. Life is all swings and roundabouts isn't it!!

(It doesn't have a DVD drive. I learned that the hard way too!)
Scholar
#13 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 12:46 AM
I congratulate you your purchase. Just keep in mind that not everybody has 1k++ $ to spend.

Besides there's a lot not so old, perfectly fine hardware lying around pointlessly while the today's "newest and shinniest" turns into another pile of rubbish pushed away by "even more shinniest" a while after.

I'd encourage to end the garbage capitalism before it will end us all.

@tj7717
Nah it's just plug&play. If you have got the edition with SecuROM embedded it may (*may*) act out, though it happens rarely. If so, just ask how to deal with that pestilence.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 2:29 PM Last edited by tj7717 : 20th Oct 2021 at 2:41 PM.
One last question. What does the sims2 DVD install cd look like and how many of them are needed for the install. I have some of my old CDs just not sure what they are / do. Not even sure what version cd I have. I can post a picture later.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:11 PM
I also need to know if SSD Or HDD is important for the sims2
Scholar
#16 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:16 PM
em.. probably somewhat like that:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=si...VD+cover&ia=web

I once had got the original CD for the game but now I am running UC only. The discs are long gone.

SSD is almost always overall better option, even old machine can get a kick from faster drive.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:25 PM
I have blue disk that only says game disk. Wondering if I need the other cds to install it. The one I have is
this one https://www.mobygames.com/images/co...ndows-media.jpg
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 6:39 PM
@ElaineNualla . The purchase choices at the ebay link you sent me 128 SSD or 500 HDD. Not sure which is the better choice
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 7:47 PM
Not sure if they are selling two different laptops at that ebay link or if either one will work. Sorry so confused
Field Researcher
#20 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tj7717
I have blue disk that only says game disk. Wondering if I need the other cds to install it. The one I have is
this one https://www.mobygames.com/images/co...ndows-media.jpg

If it just says "Game Disk", then that's the only one you need for base game. CD version is Disk 1/2/3/4, while DVD only has one installation disk and one Bonus disk that is not needed for installation. If you install from disks, make sure that you install all patches as soon as each pack is installed and use GrumpyLoader for base game, University and Nightlife patches (if you choose to install those packs).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 5:10 PM
Whats grumpy loader to ask a stupid question.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Scholar
#23 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tj7717
@ElaineNualla . The purchase choices at the ebay link you sent me 128 SSD or 500 HDD. Not sure which is the better choice

never used eBay or other (whichever) online shopping service?

The seller offers 2 version of the drive apparently. Personally I'd get the cheaper and upgrade it myself.

Besides - do not fixate yourself on this particular machine, I am pretty sure you can find better deal or better model.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 10:59 PM
As I have no knowledge of how to upgrade a computer I would want to purchase something ready to use .
Scholar
#25 Old 22nd Oct 2021 at 8:24 PM
The older ones (which were still somewhat repairable/upgradeable) does not demand any particular skills besides ability to use screwdriver. This is not an Apple product demanding NASA level of necessary hardware (not really but they love to push theirs BS).

But I get it.

If that so you have 2 basic choices: 1) buy something new or refurbished from reseller which will allow you select components from wider range (like many Lenovo/Dell official refurbishers) 2. Get the cheapest possible option and go to the nearest computer shack and ask for upgrade.

In the case of this particular machine neither of the seller selections (127 SSD or 500HDD) are particularly thrilling and both are overpriced (typical). At this price point I'd expect at last ~500GB SSD (new obviously) in my country considering the state of the machine.

Page 1 of 2