Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Sep 2020 at 5:43 AM
Default Why the code {M1.}{F1.}{1.FirstName} does not work ?
Hi,
Newbie question.
I'm trying to translate the text of a mod.

No problem when I use {M0.}{F0.}{0.FirstName}.
It concerns the played sim and the text is correctly displayed in the game. That's ok.

But when I use {M1.}{F1.}{1.FirstName} the text is never displayed in the game.
So I can't enter text concerning non played sims.
Why ? Do I need to use a color code or something ?

Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 12:39 PM
Not everybody at the same time please. :-)
Test Subject
#3 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 12:38 AM
The number corresponds to the argument being passed in to the string. If 0 is working for you and is displaying the information for the played sim correctly, then that means that the played sim is being passed as the first argument to the string. Using 1 in the same way will only work if there is a sim being passed as the second argument to the string, which is something the creator of the mod you are translating would have to verify for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankkulak
The number corresponds to the argument being passed in to the string. If 0 is working for you and is displaying the information for the played sim correctly, then that means that the played sim is being passed as the first argument to the string. Using 1 in the same way will only work if there is a sim being passed as the second argument to the string, which is something the creator of the mod you are translating would have to verify for you.

Thank you for the reply, Frankkulak.
The original mod was made for female sims only. During the translation, I'm trying to make it avalaible for both male and female.
But ok, it seems I am trying to do something that is beyond my competence.

You say :"Using 1 in the same way will only work if there is a sim being passed as the second argument to the string, which is something the creator of the mod you are translating would have to verify for you,"

And for example, what kind of indication should I use if my active sim {M0.}{F0.} is surrounded by 10 other sims and I want them to think : "That men / That woman looks great" ?
I mean is there any other kind of number or sign that achieves this goal ? {M10.}{F10.} {Mx.}{Fx.} ...
Or is this anyway something that I cannot do during translation, unless the original code was designed for it ?
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 12:47 AM
The number that appears in the brackets corresponds to an argument that is passed to the string using it. So, 0 refers to the first argument, 1 refers to the second arguments, and so on. The arguments I am referring to are set manually by the creator of the mod. So, if 1 is not working for you, that means the creator of the mod is not passing in a second argument, and you as a translator will not be able to access the target of the interaction. If you want to be able to do this, you should get in contact with the creator of the mod and ask them if they'd be willing to change their code to make their strings take gender into account. But, if they reject your request, you should respect their decision and proceed with translating it exactly as they wrote it in the first place - if they want their strings to be all female, just translate it as all female.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 7:14 AM
Ok, that's 100% clear.
I proposed to the creator of the mod to translate it into French but I got no answer. So I do the translation just for my own game.
Your idea is totally logical, yes, but I do not intend to ask him to make his mod compatible for male and female. Or maybe... ? Why not ? Bah, that's not so important. :-)

Anyway, thanks to your excellent explanations I now know what to do : delete all the {M1.}{F1.}{1.SimFirstName} and modify the text (for no gender specifications).
Frankkulak, once again, 1000 thanks for your help ! Really appreciated, I learned something.
Have a great day.