Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 2731 times.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2017 at 10:14 PM
Default What trees change colors in the fall?
Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know what trees change color in the fall and what colors they change to?

I'm in the process of building up my town right now, so I haven't spent too much time playing with seasons in Live Mode. I do know that evergreen trees work the same way as their real life counterparts. It's all the other trees I'm not sure about, like the cottonwood tree. There's a yellow one and a green one.

If I place a green cottonwood tree in my world, will it turn yellow in the fall? Or a burnt orange/red?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Jul 2017 at 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlibertysims
Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know what trees change color in the fall and what colors they change to?

Not a stupid question at all

My expansions list is rather small (Ambitions, Late Night, Supernatural, plus Seasons) so I can't answer for all of them. The trees that change in the expansions I have all seem to start at their normal colors, go through an olive green stage and end up somewhere in the yellow-orange to orange color range. Notable differences are black gums (base game) which end up a darker orange, the two different willows (base game and Ambitions) and birch trees (Ambitions) which all end up yellow, and the plum trees (base game) which end up a dark red. I know in specific the Supernatural cottonwood (the green one) turns more orange than yellow.

In addition to the evergreens, the palm trees, buckhorn, bamboo, and huckleberry (Supernatural) don't turn colors or loose their leaves/fronds. Regrettably, several of the Ambitions trees won't change: the magnolia (which even keeps its flowers), moss oak, and banyan.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2017 at 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitala
Not a stupid question at all

My expansions list is rather small (Ambitions, Late Night, Supernatural, plus Seasons) so I can't answer for all of them. The trees that change in the expansions I have all seem to start at their normal colors, go through an olive green stage and end up somewhere in the yellow-orange to orange color range. Notable differences are black gums (base game) which end up a darker orange, the two different willows (base game and Ambitions) and birch trees (Ambitions) which all end up yellow, and the plum trees (base game) which end up a dark red. I know in specific the Supernatural cottonwood (the green one) turns more orange than yellow.

In addition to the evergreens, the palm trees, buckhorn, bamboo, and huckleberry (Supernatural) don't turn colors or loose their leaves/fronds. Regrettably, several of the Ambitions trees won't change: the magnolia (which even keeps its flowers), moss oak, and banyan.

Thank you! I've been meaning to use those birch trees in my town, so it's nice to know they'll be turning yellow in the fall. I'm going for a typical fall color scheme, but I'm trying to avoid having the entire town be one color. Looks like that won't be a problem.

Thanks for mentioning the ones that don't change colors as well.