Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#51 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 7:33 PM Last edited by Naus Allien : 27th Apr 2020 at 8:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Market RH - Market are replaced by the market register, which sells you food and other stuff. But again, without mods, you can only create a deco market, your sim just walks up to the register to buy. But this RH can be eliminated

You don't really need mods. You can have a fully functional grocery store with the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery set. Just place the register and displays from the set, fill them with produce, fish, meat or any other ingredient, and that's it. LGR showed it in his review. Granted, it doesn't really LOOK like a grocery store but it functions like one, unlike TS2 grocery stores that were mostly DECO and you couldn't even pick the individual ingredients.

Regarding this TS2 vs TS3 discussion, I think TS2 did many things better than 3, mainly small details and family interactions, but everytime I play TS2 for longer periods of time I experience a little bit of claustrophobia. It's really, really hard to go back to a closed world once you've fallen in love with the open world. I guess it's easier for those who play The Sims as if it was a dollhouse, but because I actually love the immersive experience of The Sims 3's open world, I really struggle with TS2's closed world.

When I play TS3 I don't really miss the little details like Sims opening the cabinets when they cook, but when I play TS2 I do miss most of the core features of TS3, especially the open world, story progression and traits. Not to mention the awfully limited Create-A-Sim in TS2. Even the console version of TS2 has more options, like picking the shoes individually from the bottoms and body sliders.

I hate personality points, wants/fears and aspirations with a passion. It makes Sims very shallow and their personalities too focused on ONE thing (when in reality, humans are more complex than wanting to woohoo with tons and tons of Sims or get tons and tons of friends or level up tons and tons of skills). Wants are extremely repetitive and fears are kinda broken. I don't have the exact number, but TS3 has at least ten times more wishes than TS2 has wants last time I checked. Fears are a great idea, but more variety was needed and they're broken, like I said. Sometimes it rolls the same fear multiple times, especially when there are roaches, and your Sim ends up having an aspiration failure with no way of avoiding it.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#52 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 8:19 PM
I stopped playing the sims 2 because I bought a laptop that didn't have a DVD drive that was needed for Sims 2 to start. I have an external DVD drive, but it's a bother to dig out each time.
I stopped playing the Sims 3 when I played the perfect game. I couldn't think of anyway to improve it, or what I'd do different.
Now I'm getting bored with Sims 4. The next pack coming out is "Knit-Shit". Wow. I can play a sim in a rocking chair, knitting. Pretty sure EA is just messing with us now. I see nothing like "Into the Future" for sims 4 to look forward too. I think the pack after Knit-shit is "Paint Drying" with actual sim-grass you can watch grow.
Think I'll make a sims 3 world in CAW and put some Sims in it.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 10:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th Apr 2020 at 11:06 PM.
^ The missing disc drive was an issue for me when I switched laptop, so I did get an external drive just in case. I currently use the UC, but have slightly gone around the Origin part of it. No need to have that particular resource hog running in the background...

TS4's packs are in the "how can we put the least amount of effort into a pack for a set price and still have most of the general fan-base fawning over it?" category. Maybe it had been a bit better if it was a set of items in an EP, or if they'd included all the advertised objects in the "pick your favorites" thing they had going on, but not even one fourth of it is included, it seems like.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#54 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pistence
Yes, I've never understood this complaint. Lots of things in TS2 happened off screen, like all jobs, school, the teenage sneak out, jogging, university classes, the "honeymoon" after a wedding. At least in TS3 you're not stuck staring at your home lot. I agree that community lots felt more organic in TS2, like restaurants and nightclubs. But just like TS3 a lot of these were also improved with expansions and not included in the basegame.

How to explain this...

The open world is super cool, we can all agree with that, so if I have that but don't have a lot to load into when I arrive after driving across the map this for me is a huge letdown. I'm like why send me across this cool map only to enter a rabbit hole, I could have done that at home. As a Skyrim player once I reach a town like Riften or just a house I expect it to load into the place. If they can do this in Skyrim with a much larger map I don't see why Sims 3 couldn't have done something similar. (and maybe there are more loadable lots now which is good)

When a sim disappears into a rabbit hole off their home lot because they left for work it just feels more... expected, normal? Kids do catch a school bus and people do car pool. Sims 3 does this as well. the carpool and bus comes and picks them up. The whole not opening the door is a disappointment because again we have that and features should not disappear between series they should be added to. Then we move along to Sims 4 and it removes even more because you don't even get a carpool or bus they just teleport off the lot which I hate. At least when the sim gets onto a bus or carpool and disappears it feels more realistic, it doesn't break my immersion.

I tried Sims 4 playable jobs, those things are all the same scripts in different locations. So the lots load in but then I am restricted in what I can do if I want to advance at all. Fun for a while but quickly boring. I don't want to be forced to play a doctor though a series of steps set in concrete I want to do my own thing. I can do this over in Sims 2 with mods and now 2 series away I still can't? Pffft. So underwhelming.

That might not make any sense but that is how I feel, open world with rabbit-hole buildings is a much lager letdown for me then directly getting into a vehicle and disappearing off lot.
Now I am not a fan of Sims 2 rabbit holes either which is why I try and avoid them as much as I can. Most of my sims don't go to rabbit hole jobs and a lot of my kids go to my playable school. If I could do away with more of them I would.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#55 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
You don't really need mods. You can have a fully functional grocery store with the Deliciously Indulgent Bakery set. Just place the register and displays from the set, fill them with produce, fish, meat or any other ingredient, and that's it. LGR showed it in his review. Granted, it doesn't really LOOK like a grocery store but it functions like one, unlike TS2 grocery stores that were mostly DECO and you couldn't even pick the individual ingredients.

I actually have set up my stores with individual ingredients/items. Some I can stock the fridge with, others are just deco. This is a fairly new thing in Sims 2, deco items turned into stockables. I recently tried it myself and turned a deco jar of Vegemite into a stockable.
No you can't see the bread or Vegemite in the fridge it just gives food points, but we can buy the loaf of bread off a shelf and stock the fridge with it. Then there is the game juicer which has recipes and also the fish, sims have to have caught or bought one to make the fish meals, this has always been aprt of the game. These can all be sold separately in player-owned grocery stores. I'm hoping someone will take that game mechanic of juice recipes or fish and make it so we need actual ingredients for other foods.

Quote:
Regarding this TS2 vs TS3 discussion, I think TS2 did many things better than 3, mainly small details and family interactions, but everytime I play TS2 for longer periods of time I experience a little bit of claustrophobia. It's really, really hard to go back to a closed world once you've fallen in love with the open world. I guess it's easier for those who play The Sims as if it was a dollhouse, but because I actually love the immersive experience of The Sims 3's open world, I really struggle with TS2's closed world.

I get it, unless you are a big community lot player like I am I can see it. I would love it if we had some extra space around the lots. Then for me sims 3 rabbit holes are way more immersion-breaking then anything I encounter in sims 2.

Quote:
When I play TS3 I don't really miss the little details like Sims opening the cabinets when they cook, but when I play TS2 I do miss most of the core features of TS3, especially the open world, story progression and traits. Not to mention the awfully limited Create-A-Sim in TS2. Even the console version of TS2 has more options, like picking the shoes individually from the bottoms and body sliders.

We have the trait mod, it's quite popular. I don't use it very much myself as it clashes with a lot of other mods. You add these picture tokens to the sims inventory which effect the sims behaviour. The creator is working through most of the sims 3 traits and making some kind of sims 2 versions of them.
Then for CAS we have custom sliders now. Body types are harder I never bothered with those because they are tied to clothes. Sims 3 did body types well but sims 2 was still a huge step up from sims 1 body shop so its all perspective. For shoes there are top only and bottom only sets so you can sometimes change shoes, but this only works for those specific clothes.
Hate story progression and always turned it off when I played sims 3, but that didn't stop things from happening.

Quote:
I hate personality points, wants/fears and aspirations with a passion. It makes Sims very shallow and their personalities too focused on ONE thing (when in reality, humans are more complex than wanting to woohoo with tons and tons of Sims or get tons and tons of friends or level up tons and tons of skills). Wants are extremely repetitive and fears are kinda broken. I don't have the exact number, but TS3 has at least ten times more wishes than TS2 has wants last time I checked. Fears are a great idea, but more variety was needed and they're broken, like I said. Sometimes it rolls the same fear multiple times, especially when there are roaches, and your Sim ends up having an aspiration failure with no way of avoiding it.

That's so interesting, I love personality points, wants/fears and aspirations (also interests ) and really don't care about traits at all. I find the sims far more detailed and found sims 3 sims all the same. I also don't play my sims like that either. Did you set their secondary aspiration? They can have two aspirations. One thing to know about sims 2 sims is they have a behind the scene training system. What wants you fill trains them to focus more and more on those types of wants, so if you buy a fortune sim rich crap they will want more and more of it.
How are they broken? Broken wants/fears tends to be corruption, which is the biggest thing in sims 2. Most new players do something to bork their hoods.
I love seeing aspiration failure its been too long since I've seen it. Again not being able to stop it is more a new player thing. I have a psych ward at my hospital and have only ever had 1 sim in it. *plots ways to fill it*
So long as you enjoy the game you play that is all that matters.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#56 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 1:42 AM
@joandsarah77 if you plan to play or already still play TS3, you might want to look into rabbit hole rugs and zerbu career mod. With them, you can play careers by having your Sim do activities related to their job without having to have Sim go in the fixed-build builds that need to be place. You can do away with them too

Inb4: If you're Sim wants to woohoo x amount of Sims, than that means they have the romance aspiration. That's like complaining for a Sim having to HeartBreaker lifewish.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#57 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
@joandsarah77 if you plan to play or already still play TS3, you might want to look into rabbit hole rugs and zerbu career mod. With them, you can play careers by having your Sim do activities related to their job without having to have Sim go in the fixed-build builds that need to be place. You can do away with them too

Very occasionally, but my daughter does, I gave her my disks.

Right now I am playing nothing due to my second hard drive frying... Everything except my sims 2 install was on it including my sims 2 document folder, Sims 3, Sims 4, Skyrim, Corral photoshop, SimPE etc. Yeah, this is going to be fun. This happened Sunday when hubby put in a new power supply and right now my D drive is over with a tech who I hope can salvage something. Otherwise, my last sims 2 backup was a month ago to an external and the others have no backups at all.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#58 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 2:08 AM
Thought this was supposed to be why I play 3 instead of why I play 2? Or why I don't play 3.

As usual the same old debates/discussions are being done for the millionth time that will change nobody's opinions. Kinda like debating religion or politics.

Play whatever game/version you want to play and it does not matter at all if someone else likes another one more.
Forum Resident
#59 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peno
I agree with you about family interactions. That's definitely something Sims 2 do better than Sims 3, though it's not half as bad as you picture it. Though sadly, for most family interactions you need Generations EP. But Sims 3 being more materialistic? Come on. It's the other way around, actually...

To me it is. I've had TS3 sim families that barely even speak to each other, and just exist in their own home, hardly even acknowledging one another. The Generations EP adds next to nothing really, that suits my playstyle,in my opinion. Telling ghost Stories, which is more annoying than endearing, giving flowers, and having a mid-life crisis aren't really the kind of family interactions that I want for my sim families. Learning to drive was good, but again, the interactions just seem .. bland. Your teenager drives once around the block, with not much guidance from the parent, and all of a sudden they have a license. I dunno, maybe I just expect too much.
They simply just removed things like Cops and Robbers, Mary Mack etc. All the other games children could play with one another. A lot of romance interactions were left out, though some were added in later EP's they always seemed kind of lacklustre to me compared to their TS2 counterparts.

Babies and toddlers can't be bathed, unless you have store item which has the singularly most pathetic way of handling it. Without mods, your sims wash the baby still in its blanket. Soggy.
But its okay, because you can wash your cat or your dog in the bath, that was certainly prioritised

The amount and depth of the pie menu options in both games are enormously different. 2 has so many more options, and a lot of them feel like they mean something, whereas sometimes in TS3 I find that some of them just seem like added fluff. All these things are why I prefer TS2 for family stuff, over 3.
I love TS3, don't get me wrong, it's just that I love it for different reasons than Ts2

And yes, I find TS3 much more materialistic than 2. I think it had a lot to do with EA's constant pushing for Store and EP sales - buy your sims this. Buying " x item " will make your sims happy. Your sims want stuff. Stuff stuff stuff.

Also, I don't see what the big deal is about people discussing the differences or their likes and dislikes between the two games, even if its been done before. No one in the thread seems to be fighting or squabbling, everyone is just putting forth their opinions, and sharing them with others. I think its natural to try to get others to see things from your own point of view. Perhaps this can be misconstrued as trying to change people's opinon's, and maybe some people would like to, I don't know, but I don't see anything wrong with the discussion at all.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Field Researcher
#61 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 1:04 PM
I started on 4, and played it TONS when I first got it. When everything was shiny and new.
But my friend who got me into it said it was pretty boring compared to 2 and 3, and couldn't really say why, just that he couldn't get into it.
So I eventually shopped around, and decided to get 2 (Since it was free) before committing to the expense of Sims 3. I was hooked on 2 just with seasons. After playing 2 for a couple weeks I bought 3 and I never went back to either 2 or 4 after for more than a few days.

It's the little things really. Any personality my sims have in 4 is made up by me, they all look different but I feel like my sims in 4 are just the same. In the Sims 3 my pets prefer specific sims, my kids prefer specific toys or games, couples develop certain quirks.

Just a few examples of my favorite moments:

In my last save I had 4 children, and each child had a different activity they seemed to lean heavily towards. Things that the other kids didn't. Not that they never did the same activities, but the youngest daughter always pretended to preside over the royal court, while her sister loved the rocking horse.

Then there's the cat that every time my sim's husband came home would run from wherever it was on the lot to greet him at the front door. The dog and other 3 cats didn't care that he came home, but that one did. It's a silly detail, but it's one that makes the game that much more immersive.

In a different save I had a vampire, who would constantly serenade her boyfriend by playing her guitar in his bedroom at 3 in the morning. She was the only one who ever did that.

Or how sims that are in love can get an excited love (I can't remember the name) moodlet when their beloved is about to come home because they're excited to see them. Or when sims greet each other with a little wave when they enter the room and see a sim they are close to (Not sure if this happens in Sims 4, but I don't think it does?)

The major plus of Sims 4 is how easy it is to mod and still have the game run as smooth as butter. But it wound up being that I made CC for the game more than I played it. I don't feel the need to make my own CC for Sims 3 most of the time. There are a couple things I might want to make at some point, but I really don't need to do it myself (Not that I don't use CC, I'm a CC junkie).

And I'm sure it's been said to death already, but open world. I love letting my camera lazily follow my sim during a long drive, even more so with the slower cars mod. I Like the open world. I like that I can bounce back and forth between my sims at will. When I need to manage sims in 4 when they're not on the lot with me, the options are limited and often ineffective in my experience. For example, my kid's homework is never done by the time I reload onto the home lot.

I also get irritated quickly with the loading screens and the "disappear off edge of lot" in 4. In 3, not only do I not have loading screens, but I get to watch my sims go everywhere (other than rabbit holes anyway)! It's very immersive for me.

Create. A. Style. SOOOOOOO much customizeability.

The final reason is the game play is just more fun. I feel like my sims have more variety of things to do. And part of that ties into open world. In sims 3 my sims are never homebodies except for when the toddlers outmatch the adults to carry them (Even still, sometimes I get a sitter and head out). But on 4, my sims never leave home lot, hardly ever I tried when dine out came out because I was SO EXCITED for that pack, but the loading screens quickly tired me out and I went on hiatus again for another 4 months after that.

In 3 I love going to festivals, hunting all day for resources, visiting the apothecary to brew up the fruits of my conquests. It's really fun. My sims have full active lives, especially once the kids reach school age.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I stopped playing the sims 2 because I bought a laptop that didn't have a DVD drive that was needed for Sims 2 to start. I have an external DVD drive, but it's a bother to dig out each time.
I stopped playing the Sims 3 when I played the perfect game. I couldn't think of anyway to improve it, or what I'd do different.
Now I'm getting bored with Sims 4. The next pack coming out is "Knit-Shit". Wow. I can play a sim in a rocking chair, knitting. Pretty sure EA is just messing with us now. I see nothing like "Into the Future" for sims 4 to look forward too. I think the pack after Knit-shit is "Paint Drying" with actual sim-grass you can watch grow.
Think I'll make a sims 3 world in CAW and put some Sims in it.

I was reading your comment to my brother and he said the following:
"See, I'm just sitting here thinking of all the ways you could make the grass growing one fun. Like, if it was a plane that slowly rises up until it was as tall as your house, you'd get all these weird mutant plants growing out of the grass, maybe you'd get attacked by a bear on your way to the front door. You could make it fun.
Field Researcher
#63 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 4:31 PM
I've played all four iterations of this game. Sims 1 by far was the hardest one out of the group, to keep the sims alive, despite it being the most simple. Gave the disks to a friend a long time ago, and last I heard, they are still loving it and playing it.

Sims 2 I played for a VERY long time, but now looking back at the graphics and the way the sims were made, it is jarring to my eyes. (which is funny, because when I saw 3 for the first time, I HAAAATED how the puddings looked. LOL) I loved the uneven relationships in that game though. That was nice. You could have that sim pining for the clueless other sim, and it was nice. 3 doesn't do that. The whole "errybody knows what you did last summer" aspect of 3 is... bothersome. Ya can't be in a relationship and screw someone else while the other half is at work because the whole town will know about it, even if it's in like, the second level of a basement with teleport access only. Heh. Sims4 fixed that one.

I mean, I like all the games, they all have good points and bad points. Sims4 tends to get a bit samey-samey after a while with the emotional reactions; they seem kind of shallow, but it's still fun (especially build mode.)

3, though, is where I do my big work - world building, (eff you Twinbrook ) and story writing. The open world and the horses appeal to me most here.

ETA: Toddlers in sims4. YES. Little snot-nosed turds. I had one that would whip off their clothes and run around the lot when they were exhausted. As a mom of a once-toddler, this is correct. SOOoooooo friggin correct it's not funny. I had one guy with three kids - two toddlers and a child, and while their mother was sleeping, the toddlers had meltdowns and the kid had a temper tantrum, and the poor dude ended up with a migraine and a drinking problem. HA.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Forum Resident
#64 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 4:45 PM
I'll tell you a big reason why for me personally, for TS2 vs TS3 especially - corruption.

I'm not saying TS3 doesn't have its issues. I'm not saying you never have issues with a long-standing save getting corrupted. And there's no denying that TS3 is terribly optimized. But at the end of the day, as long as one takes the time to fix up their game, even though they shouldn't have to, through NRaas and whatever else, you'll have a pretty decent experience performance-wise. TS2 definitely has its good points, but when there's a full page of issues that can permanently destroy your game, things you might forget for a split second that you shouldn't do, that can completely ruin your neighborhood or your save altogether, it's just too much for me. I know a lot of people just deal with it and work around it, but it causes me too much anxiety to have to constantly remember a running list of things not to do while playing. Yeah, you can get used to working around everything, but it's always in the back of my mind.

I loved TS2 at the time, but TS3's open world and gameplay just resonates with me more. And going back nowadays to TS2, even with CC, isn't easy. Especially with what's listed above.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's so interesting, I love personality points, wants/fears and aspirations (also interests ) and really don't care about traits at all. I find the sims far more detailed and found sims 3 sims all the same. I also don't play my sims like that either. Did you set their secondary aspiration? They can have two aspirations. One thing to know about sims 2 sims is they have a behind the scene training system. What wants you fill trains them to focus more and more on those types of wants, so if you buy a fortune sim rich crap they will want more and more of it.

To be honest, personality points always bothered me. It's RPG feature that should have no place in life simulator and even less being tied to zodiac signs. How do I cerate twins with different personalities but the same sign? How should I pretend that one Sim is my Simself when after giving him my personality the game will assign him with different sign? It was so irritating and shallow. And IMO Maxis actually knew all this, which is why they implemented all these additional features like wants, fears (which I actually quite like and I wish they kept fears in 3, but wishes and moodlets work quite well too), aspirations, turn-ons and off (which I hated even more than personality points for its shallowness), interests etc., so the Sims are more interesting, but I wish they didn't bother and instead revamped the whole personality system, which they didn't do until 3. Traits were blessing for me. Finally I could create my mom and her twin sister with all their different personalities and the same zodiac sign.
And the aspirations. While good idea, there were so little that once you played one, you didn't have any interest to play with it again, since it was pretty much the same road. Great concept, but with so little variations. Though I still wish they improved and expanded upon this concept in 3, instead of just scrapping it and replacing it with even more boring LTW.

I agree with much what Pary said, but those changes are necessary. If you've downloaded a lot of mods that add additional interaction you'll eventually have issues with error 12, pie menu lag, etc... you simply cannot have the depth of interaction in TS2 because again we're running a whole world this time, not just 1 household lot. However, I do find my sims interacting a lot autonomously, so there must be something wrong with the game if nobody in the house is talking. (try unparking the CPU cores)

Sims naturally talk when they sit together on sofas or at the tables. Often they would approach each other and talk. I've see many instances where sims on a large commercial lot form a chat circle, sometimes with up to 6-8 sims. This is why I don't understand why one of TS4's big selling point is improved social interaction where sims can interact in groups when they already have it in Sims 3. Manually, you simply click another sim and "ask to join discussion" or something like that.

Yeah. That was actually what I meant when I wrote it's not as bad as Pary pictured it. Just recently I've sent my Sims to fall festival and some Sims automatically started pie eating contest and other townies watched them while another group talked with each other. And even home Sims often acknowledge each other. I am one who likes to play with big families so I know that. Sims are really quite sociable in Sims 3. Sadly, even those who shouldn't, like Sims with loner or Shy traits. This is definitely something I wish the game was little more realistic and didn't push these Sims to autonomous interactions with others.

Toddlers definitely have less interaction, but as someone who hates toddlers (hahahahaha ) I don't mind it at all. Actually I really like the toddlers in TS4, my sister plays it. Why I don't like toddlers is because they can't really interact with their environment and so there were routing issues especially if you have stairs or foundations. In TS4, they're like little people, which is so cute. They can climb on sofa and watch TV, even grab a plate of adult food. That's awesome.

I can't tell I dislike toddlers in Sims 4, but they are not realistic toddlers. They feel more like preschoolers who still didn't learn to poo and talk and that just feels off for me. And while I wish toddlers in 3 and 2 had more interactions, options and reactions to their surroundings, I still see them as more realistic toddlers than those we see in 4. My opinion, though and I am well aware many disagree with me about this. Still, I feel that toddlers in Sims 2 were the most realistic with some great interactions we ever got in Sims game.
Forum Resident
#66 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LittleCheshire
Ah shit, here I go again being curious. The Question of The Day today is why do you play the Sims 3 over the 4, 2, or 1? I'm very interested.

I never played the Sims 1 or 2, but I've been thinking about picking up the Sims 2 and it's expansions for free. I have The Sims 4, but currently I only have the base game and I really, really despise it. In a save I have a Sims who's the mother of two toddlers who I, personally, love with my entire soul. But apparently, my sim doesn't share the sentiments since she ignores every command I give her to take steps to prevent her children from being taken away from her. She either stands around and does nothing, or she ignores my commands to feed her fucking kids to go play on the damn computer. I would get more expansions for it to see if it adds to the gameplay or even fixes some bugs, but they're unbelievably overpriced and don't seem to add much? The Cats & Dogs and Island Living expansions are 40$ a piece. 80$ for two expansion packs? Are you kidding me?

So yuh...I've been sticking to my Echantacy Challenge playthrough in my Sims 3 game lately...

I have played TS (2000), TS2 (2004), and TS3 (2009) and out of those TS3 will always be my preferred life simulation game for the reasons it is the most advanced, I have the most enjoyment and the A.I. is the best of any Sims game to date while still being true to Will Wright's Sims legacy. Though, I do wish the best features of TS/TS2 would have merged flawlessly with the best features of TS3. Such as open shopping, OFB, paying for cabs, a breakdown of each individual bill, passing held babies/toddlers to someone else, lullabies, more child interactions, acne, phones and other electronics sold separately, etc.

TS3 has the most creative freedom than any Sims game to date as well. And because of that it greatly affects my likeability towards the game as well. I can't get enough of CAS/CASt which is one of my favorite aspects since 2000. Well, character creation and then customizing to my heart's content is one of my favorite things to do when ever the opportunity presents itself in video games. Plus, the scenery in worlds is absolutely nice to look at too and overall I like the aesthetics the most in TS3 than any other Sims game.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Forum Resident
#67 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 9:37 PM
One thing I've noticed as well over the years is that TS3 really gets shot down more than any other game of the franchise. I'm not exaggerating. Every other post I see on the sims reddit or whatever that mentions the game is always "TS3 looks horrible, plays horribly, there's nothing to do (lie), pudding faces (we're long past this being a huge issue with custom sliders and skins), and any and everyone who plays this game is out of their minds because it's "obviously a bad game".

I'll usually give people the benefit of the doubt that maybe TS3's style of gameplay isn't for them or something like that, but the moment I hear that TS3 is a bad game just because, I'm done.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Undead Molten Llama
#69 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 1:13 AM
I remember in Sims 2, sims could die if they're too depressed. Is this true?.

No. Though I read that in Sims 4 they can literally die of laughter? WTF?

It's actually pretty hard to kill a Sim in Sims 2. I remember long, long ago, I tried a "black widow" challenge, where the idea was to have a female Sim who marries a lot and all the husbands are to be killed once a child is conceived. I remember I had this empty room with no doors that I'd put the poor guys in. I put them in there and then ignored them completely. It took them sim-days to die and there was plenty of wailing along the way. It was so bad that I just couldn't do the challenge. I think it made it through, like, two husbands. I guess I have too much empathy for pixel-people. *shrug*

I think I read somewhere, somewhen, that in normal cases -- like aside from "accidents" like drowning in a ladderless pool or catching on fire -- three of the motive meters have to be red for quite some time before death from mere neglect can happen, and one of the depleted motives must be hunger. I don't know if this is true or not because, honestly, I never felt a need to test/investigate it because deliberately killing Sims isn't really my thing. But, outside of accidents, engineered or otherwise, Sims 2 Sims seem to be pretty tough bastards. Then again, I once I had a pregnant Sim with full motive meters wake up in the middle of the night and promptly die for no apparent reason, but I'm given to believe that was a weird glitch.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 1:39 AM
Death from laughter... Yeah, I was scratching my head too when I saw that Sims 4 gameplay where they showed it. But then, I've found out it's a real and well documented, though rare, cause of death. And trust me, when I found that, I stopped laughing. For once they brought a little realism to The Sims 4. And be honest, that game can use as much realism as it could possibly get
Undead Molten Llama
#71 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 2:45 AM
I don't know, I can think of things that would be far more realistic or at least far more common. Like maybe a random chance of death by traffic accident when a Sim is traveling around town in a vehicle of some kind. I mean, they wouldn't have to show it or anything. Just a pop-up and the Sim dies, maybe. But maybe that would be considered too sad or too triggering or too real-world or whatever. On the other hand Sims CAN die of illness, and that's pretty sad and real-world, especially the real world right now.

But, if the game can't be too sad in a real-world way, then I guess any bit of realism is good? So, OK, dying of laughter. (Even though that's really more dying of a underlying and undiagnosed brain issue, not really dying of the laughter per se.) And TS2 has death by spontaneous human combustion, although I think that's more of a glitch than anything actually intended. I mean, I get that overall the franchise is prone to silliness, what with aliens and the supernatural Sims zipping around and silly slap-fights and whatnot, but I wouldn't mind a game without it. In that sense, Sims 3 is probably the game in the franchise that takes itself the most seriously as, aside from the fantasy/alien/supernatural elements that are mostly a part of the Supernatual EP, it seems to have the least amount of silliness.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#73 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 3:18 AM
It's been a while since I really played Sims 2, but I do remember vividly if they get too depressed, not sure which of the 8 meters or a combination of it, they could die. Anyways, I wish they implement something like that in TS3. Right now, if your mood meter gets too low, they just can't do work such as working out, and they cut work and school. etc...

I wish there is also effects that if they're too depressed they lose motivation to eat, etc... then die of hunger or something. Yeah, a bit morbid, but more realistic.

They would have to have very low needs. Anything that stops a sim from going to eat, which a breakdown could do as it takes some minutes to complete, that then could result in death. It's the same with heat stroke or freezing, if a sim has very low hunger and is frozen on the ground so can't eat, he could die from it.

Breakdowns come in two stages, stage one is the funny one that shows off their aspiration. A pleasure sim wears a lampshade and dances, a family sim cuddles a sack of flour, a romance sim lol smooches a mop etc. Then if they drop lower they collapse on the floor and the therapist arrives (that only they can see everyone else thinks they are cray cray) and they do crazy stuff like act like a chicken before feeling slightly better. Back to the mop smooching level. A bit before that level they do worried hands or teenagers will rip up a painting on an easel or stomp on and kill the flowers in the flower beds. Kids I think will swing on the fridge and go inside the rubbish bin/can. The only time they can go quickly from fine to breakdown is if they were just in the green and a big fear gets filled like a fire or having a baby. Breakdowns are quite hilarious but the mop smooch is my favourite.

I have a few pics from my Ubber Hood. The beg at the curb is the fortune breakdown.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#74 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 3:28 AM
TS2 Sims will die if you neglect them long enough, and I suppose you could attribute this to "depression." It takes a while, though, and you have to isolate them so that they can't, for instance, get to a fridge to get/make something to eat. And you have to listen to lots of wailing. There is the loop that tends to happen most often with pregnant sims where they get too tired to eat (they fall asleep in their plate of food) but they're too hungry to sleep. You send them to bed, but they wake up wanting to eat, but when you try to get them to eat, they fall asleep in their food instead. They can die when they get stuck like that, but it's not because they're too depressed to eat.

Like I said, I read somewhere that three of the meters -- one of which must be hunger -- must be in the red for quite some time before a Sim will die, but I am not sure if this is actually true. The problem is that TS2 Sims are actually quite good at taking care of themselves (unless you turn off free will, of course), so you really do have to intervene to stop them from doing things to fill their meters. So it's not like dying of neglect happens organically, without player intervention. At least, not easily.

Mad Poster
#75 Old 29th Apr 2020 at 4:08 AM
I had pregnant Sims in 2 do nothing to help themselves and drop dead. And I play all games with full autonomy on. I also had nannies not take care of toddlers who were totally in the red when someone got home.
Page 3 of 7