Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#151 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@LittleCheshire Were you replying to me? I was talking about the rules on this site which forbid discussion of piracy, but i do sometimes have dreams of rabidSims 3 fans coming after me.

Oh no, I was replying to Floren. Sorry bout those rabid Sims 3 fan nightmares tho!

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#152 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lonerbum
I had a Sims fanatic as a roommate once, I was surprised he has such a purist attitude about the game, you know, those "I don't use mods because it's impure" people. He was upset that I like the Sims 3 but not going to play Sims 4. I tell him I'll wait until EA finish updating the game then I might buy it or I might start playing Sims 4 when Sims 5 is out. He's still not happy. This 1 time, I saw him buying Sims 3 on Steam & complained about lag in Isla Paradiso, I tell him to play on a map with lesser water to ease the lag, or just download some maps from the modding sites. He was like "No, it's impure!". I was like, "Just tryna help ya out, man", it was funny.

Thankfully, there aren't that many Sims 3 fans who are like that. We real Sims 3 fans know that without certain (especially NRaas ) mods, this game can be real pain to play. And some mods can even add to the fun you have with the game. Like my favourite "Children can" series from Kapaer here on MTS. Seriously, who on their right mind at EA thought it's OK to ban children from playing instruments, do gardening or use the hot tub? I never got that and thankfully, these mods remove this limitation for my little Simmies, so they can have more fun or simply be more useful around the house. Playing Sims 3 without mods? Unimaginable blasphemy!
Mad Poster
#153 Old 4th Sep 2020 at 7:21 AM
I don't really care for the concept of "TS3 fans". It sounds patronizing in a way where if I like TS3 then I must be a TS3 Fan, but TS3 is one of many and I like them all for their own reasons.

My biggest praise for TS3 is CASt but even the open world is great thing to have, not because I think it was done well, but because I am tired of the loadscreens between lots that I have with other iterations. In TS2 I have so much CC that even with an SSD it still takes too much time to launch and play. TS3 launches in 3 minutes flat, from game .exe click to being in-game world. And that is great to have such a short load time. It's why I bought an SSD.

TS2 and TS4 don't seem to benefit as much from an SSD, and TS1 already loaded speedy quick on my computer.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#154 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 3:47 AM
For the most part playing TS3 without any mods was fine except during the game's continued development there would obviously be new along with old glitches. Some got fixed and some didn't. Now playing TS3 without any mods except NRass NoCD has been really smooth gameplay performance for me especially without nothing being tampered with anymore. Didn't really have much of an issue with TS3 running other than that unless when I started using mods. In fact recently, I installed NRass Error Trap but then noticed the parent and infant kept resetting after putting the child in the crib with one of my households. Tried resetting them...nothing changed. Tried resetting the crib...nothing changed. Tried buying a new crib...nothing changed.

Made sure I had the right patch level/version...nothing changed. All other installed NRass mods latest version but hey maybe I missed something. In any case it's not the first time I had suspected issues with Error Trap and after removing it. Since that mod was the newest one I recently put in, I took it out and deleted caches and then restarted the game.

The resetting stopped instantly, but then the game would randomly crash when I know just beforehand it was running fine after getting rid of more mods. Had to play just long enough to save it and so far it seems to be back being able to play more than one Sim week and panning the camera here, there, everywhere without crashing to desktop or Error Code 12. Like 95% of my issues are usually mod related. Testing my main save with no mods runs flawlessly, with mods horrible so that's why I deleted some and might try to delete even more. Because the more I'm desiring smooth performance I'll likely delete most mods. Now this makes me want to start up my base game only folder and continue where ever I last left off at. Later though, I want to check out Fall Guys right quick.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Scholar
#155 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 5:15 AM
Only time I had this problem is when the kid had an imaginary friend in their inventory. Deleted the IF and it stopped happening.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Scholar
#156 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
For the most part playing TS3 without any mods was fine except during the game's continued development there would obviously be new along with old glitches. Some got fixed and some didn't. Now playing TS3 without any mods except NRass NoCD has been really smooth gameplay performance for me especially without nothing being tampered with anymore. Didn't really have much of an issue with TS3 running other than that unless when I started using mods. In fact recently, I installed NRass Error Trap but then noticed the parent and infant kept resetting after putting the child in the crib with one of my households. Tried resetting them...nothing changed. Tried resetting the crib...nothing changed. Tried buying a new crib...nothing changed.

Made sure I had the right patch level/version...nothing changed. All other installed NRass mods latest version but hey maybe I missed something. In any case it's not the first time I had suspected issues with Error Trap and after removing it. Since that mod was the newest one I recently put in, I took it out and deleted caches and then restarted the game.

The resetting stopped instantly, but then the game would randomly crash when I know just beforehand it was running fine after getting rid of more mods. Had to play just long enough to save it and so far it seems to be back being able to play more than one Sim week and panning the camera here, there, everywhere without crashing to desktop or Error Code 12. Like 95% of my issues are usually mod related. Testing my main save with no mods runs flawlessly, with mods horrible so that's why I deleted some and might try to delete even more. Because the more I'm desiring smooth performance I'll likely delete most mods. Now this makes me want to start up my base game only folder and continue where ever I last left off at. Later though, I want to check out Fall Guys right quick.

In my older laptop Error trap had problems too. I think it's because it's a bit of a heavy mod in terms of scripting. So because of that for some laptops it can actually cause more problems then it fixes.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Mad Poster
#157 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 1:52 PM Last edited by igazor : 5th Sep 2020 at 2:03 PM.
Players will often have a smoother experience with ErrorTrap if the ongoing game they are playing had it in place from the outset or at least earlier on. Once a game has progressed pretty far and sludge has built up in the game save for ET to try and clean out, all of that sudden activity may indeed be overwhelming. The mod isn't meant to fix huge amounts of things that have already been broken for a while or else some kind of self-throttling mechanism would be included so that it doesn't overwhelm the game by reacting to all of the garbage data at once, although of course that can still be attempted if that's where the player ends up. It's meant to have been maintaining them all along so that huge sudden bursts of cleanup activity would usually only really be necessary after travel transitions to/from foreign worlds and the rest happens more slowly as games move forward.

And it's supposed to be preventing the game from crashing (when it can) by trapping those error conditions and reporting on them, not itself making the game less playable.

The crib thing sounds more like an oddity that perhaps could have been brought to us at NRaas to help find out what ET was reacting to and why that was going so badly.
Forum Resident
#158 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Deshong : 5th Sep 2020 at 7:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
Only time I had this problem is when the kid had an imaginary friend in their inventory. Deleted the IF and it stopped happening.

I do have an IF in the child's inventory, but I am one of those players who actually like them though for some reason in the past they keep disappearing from my Sims inventories after a while. The same with the MultiTab 6000 which is really frustrating. I guess that is because of another NRass mod, perhaps Overwatch, though I think I turned inventory cleanup to false. I would have to check in that save again.

Quote: Originally posted by PuddingFace
In my older laptop Error trap had problems too. I think it's because it's a bit of a heavy mod in terms of scripting. So because of that for some laptops it can actually cause more problems then it fixes.

Yeah, ET is a core mod too which is why I would rather not bother with it because it can eventually affect gameplay performance for me. Especially, since I like to use a few other scripting mods which starts to just really push the game engine to its limit to even over the limit at times. If I'm correct, some if not all scripting mods use the CPU and so does TS3 for its real-time simulation; I still feel like anything that adds too much stress to the game engine is not my personal idea of enjoying the game. Besides, I personally don't really have issues with TS3 excluding the leftover glitches, regardless the game runs and plays really well as is, The only reason I installed ET was because I thought maybe there was something it could fix with my crashing to desktop and Error Code 12 but found out my issue really were just some mods/cc.

And this is on a desktop gaming computer that is capable of playing Control with real-time ray tracing and hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 whenever they release the system requirements. Difference is TS3 is probably one of the most CPU intensive games though and not so much over-the-top visually despite still a good looking game to me. Yeah, let me see a 64-Bit new realistic life simulator with ray-tracing and everything TS3 is and much more and I would get way too hyped over a video game, lol. I wouldn't even care if I couldn't even play with the highest settings, that's how I was with TS3 anyway. But hey, bad graphics and all but I still had a lot of fun.

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Players will often have a smoother experience with ErrorTrap if the ongoing game they are playing had it in place from the outset or at least earlier on. Once a game has progressed pretty far and sludge has built up in the game save for ET to try and clean out, all of that sudden activity may indeed be overwhelming. The mod isn't meant to fix huge amounts of things that have already been broken for a while or else some kind of self-throttling mechanism would be included so that it doesn't overwhelm the game by reacting to all of the garbage data at once, although of course that can still be attempted if that's where the player ends up. It's meant to have been maintaining them all along so that huge sudden bursts of cleanup activity would usually only really be necessary after travel transitions to/from foreign worlds and the rest happens more slowly as games move forward.

And it's supposed to be preventing the game from crashing (when it can) by trapping those error conditions and reporting on them, not itself making the game less playable.

The crib thing sounds more like an oddity that perhaps could have been brought to us at NRaas to help find out what ET was reacting to and why that was going so badly.

In the past, I had ET in a game from the start and still ran into issues eventually. Whether because of ET or another issue I can't say for sure but yes I do tend to put the blame on that mod as playing without it in my other saves I have yet to run into the issues I did when I had it installed. At least from what I recall anyway as I've been playing this game since it launched and probably wouldn't remember every single detail.

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
The MultiTab just does that, it's not because of Overwatch. The PocketProtector mod, the variant specifically for the tablet, is supposed to stop that from happening.

But if a player is truly convinced that NRaas (or any other) mods are really causing more problems in their games than they are solving, they certainly shouldn't be using them.

Yeah, goes without saying. Been there, done that. BTW, a "guess" in that context I meant as literally a wild guess. But I'll be my own judge and test it out later for my own curiosity on a game without any game altering mods.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Mad Poster
#159 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 6:25 PM
The MultiTab just does that, it's not because of Overwatch. The PocketProtector mod, the variant specifically for the tablet, is supposed to stop that from happening.

But if a player is truly convinced that NRaas (or any other) mods are really causing more problems in their games than they are solving, they certainly shouldn't be using them.
Lab Assistant
#160 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 9:29 PM
The only time I remember having issue with NRaas mods was with Tempest and disappearing holidays, but that was long time ago resolved and ever since then, I only have problem with NRaas mods if I set them wrong. Yes, NRaas mods can be overwhelming sometimes, with all their settings, but they are very helpful, at least for me. They actually make my game run smoother, not the other way around. I don't remember the last time I've had any errors or crashes.
I did have issue with other mods from time to time, though. Not so long ago I went through a daunting removal of mods to find the one that made City Hall (and any combined RH with City Hall) unclickable. Eventually found the culprit and removed it, after hours of testing. So, yes, mods can cause you an issues, wouldn't lie you about that, but NRaas mods are probably the most stable and tested mods out there and while they are not safe from being in conflict with other mods, since they are so known, other mod creators try to avoid conflicts with them as much as possible, since they usually test their mods with NRaas.
But of course, if you feel you have issue due to NRaas mods, then, as Igazor said, you are free to play without them. But finding a mod that is causing you an issue is a daunting task and even though you think you know the right mod, you may be wrong. Happened to me in past.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#161 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 12:57 AM
Sorry to steer away from the mod discussion but I wanted to mention something: Moodlets.

I'm aware that some think that the moodlet system was the worst thing to happen to the Sims franchise, but I kinda disagree. I think they're cool little things that give me insight into my sims feelings, their thoughts on things, and their personalities. Sure they're buffs but at least they're pleasant to have. At least, to me.

Mad Poster
#162 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LittleCheshire
Sorry to steer away from the mod discussion but I wanted to mention something: Moodlets.

I'm aware that some think that the moodlet system was the worst thing to happen to the Sims franchise, but I kinda disagree. I think they're cool little things that give me insight into my sims feelings, their thoughts on things, and their personalities. Sure they're buffs but at least they're pleasant to have. At least, to me.

IMO moodlets as implemented were nice for immediate events, but I think they needed to be rebalanced so Sims aren’t so happy all the time.

On top of that, they can’t really substitute memories, unless subtle, super-long moodlets were implemented (basically cumulatively altering the long-term mood of a sim).

Likewise I wish there were more mood penalities on more aspects of a sim’s life.
Inventor
#163 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 3:44 AM
In terms of gameplay, moodlets do the same memories did in 2. Memories in 2 are also really flawed. Sims cry for burning the food or seeing cockroaches as much as they cry for a loved one dying. In 3, certain moodlets like Heart Broken and Betrayed cause Sims to cry spontaneously, but other moodlets have minor effects. I feel like that's MUCH more realistic that memories in TS2. There's a placebo effect for memories in 2. Regardless of what the image shows or what the text says, all green memories are treated the same way and all red memories are treated the same way too.
Forum Resident
#164 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 3:10 PM Last edited by Deshong : 8th Sep 2020 at 7:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by peno
The only time I remember having issue with NRaas mods was with Tempest and disappearing holidays, but that was long time ago resolved and ever since then, I only have problem with NRaas mods if I set them wrong. Yes, NRaas mods can be overwhelming sometimes, with all their settings, but they are very helpful, at least for me. They actually make my game run smoother, not the other way around. I don't remember the last time I've had any errors or crashes.
I did have issue with other mods from time to time, though. Not so long ago I went through a daunting removal of mods to find the one that made City Hall (and any combined RH with City Hall) unclickable. Eventually found the culprit and removed it, after hours of testing. So, yes, mods can cause you an issues, wouldn't lie you about that, but NRaas mods are probably the most stable and tested mods out there and while they are not safe from being in conflict with other mods, since they are so known, other mod creators try to avoid conflicts with them as much as possible, since they usually test their mods with NRaas.
But of course, if you feel you have issue due to NRaas mods, then, as Igazor said, you are free to play without them. But finding a mod that is causing you an issue is a daunting task and even though you think you know the right mod, you may be wrong. Happened to me in past.

I already covered that it may or may not be NRass mods causing an issue, in other words, for that in the past segment but more so just sharing my personal experience with NRass and mods in general and whether the culprit is one of NRass mods or not. Sure NRass mods help a lot of people and maybe I'm just the odd one out who ends up having so many issues with mods in general despite rarely ever having more than 3 GB. Nothing else shows up on Delphy's Dashboard besides conflicts for the same creator, but even so I already know that is not 100% reliable for detecting all incompatibilities. Then I go back and re-read the descriptions and instructions of mods but I'm not noticing anything out of place on my end. Not saying it's not me but saying I am not noticing so perhaps I could be missing something that I overlooked. Though there were a few occasions with some mods I had where they conflict, Dashboard did not pick up on it nor was there anything in the instructions/descriptions of such incompatibilities. In fact, both mods seemed so unlikely to conflict but they did. So I might keep unknowingly installing various mods with these types of unexpected hidden incompatibilities.

In any case, my game experience is "my" game experience and does not, obviously, reflect others experiences with TS3 and/or mods usage which I am more than aware of.

"But of course, if you feel you have issue due to NRaas mods, then, as Igazor said, you are free to play without them."
"But if a player is truly convinced that NRaas (or any other) mods are really causing more problems in their games than they are solving, they certainly shouldn't be using them."

So I already stated I took ET out, deleted the caches and restarted the game and the problem was fixed and that's why I came to the conclusion it was ET though not knowing the why, the cause. MurderPrincessK also confirmed this with specific information about the IF doll. My other possible problems in the past with ET are rather ambiguous and obviously based on my own thought process based on my past and current game experiences and not anything factual pointing to a cause.

I'm currently in the process of trying to sort through what else to let go of for better performance with mods, and no I don't intend on getting rid of everything. Just need to figure out what works for me.

Edit:

"The MultiTab just does that, it's not because of Overwatch. The PocketProtector mod, the variant specifically for the tablet, is supposed to stop that from happening."

Not sure yet as I haven't played long, but so far buying the MultiTab 6000 and putting it in the Sims inventories and then switching households and then buying the tablet for them then switching back to the original household I started with...the tablets have not disappeared upon household switching. As claimed by some I read from their posts. This TS3 folder has all EP's/SP's/Store Content and only NRass NoCD. Waited until 3am and the active household still has their tablets, but I'll have to switch households again to see if the other Sims kept theirs. If so, then I'll play a few more days to see if I notice any change. Otherwise, I'll just hold on to that TS3 folder as a continued test and then add NRass OW later to see if the tablets stay or are deleted with just the default settings. If the tablets do get deleted then I'll make sure inventory clean up is set to false, buy more tablets and see if it still gets deleted. There has to be a reason why I correlate that to the possible deletion of IF dolls and MultiTab 6000's. I could be remembering wrong but I thought I read something about that from others having a similar issue and pinpointed to that particular setting in OW.

Also, I think I do remember setting 'clean up inventory' to false and then the tablets and IF dolls did stop getting deleted. I also think since I've changed worlds however long ago that was that I may have forgotten to change that back to false. I still haven't checked that in my main save yet.

Edit 2:

Okay, so I found out that yes, it must be one of the leftover glitches from The Sims Studio as the MultiTab 6000 does eventually disappear from my Sims inventory. I'm pretty sure others who don't use mods and don't know about NRass Pocket Protector Tablet already figured out a way to prevent it from happening. So I was curious if there was a workaround and came up with two, I think. I mean I play tested from about 2 Sim weeks of switching back and forth to confirm but it's always a possibility the test is not accurate despite not running to any hiccups at the time.

Method 1: Create a room wherever you want on the home lot with no doors. Sims should not be able to access this room and is more so a storage that only the player uses. The tricky part is memory though. Before switching households take all tablets out of Sims personal inventories and place them in this storage room. This way Sims cannot pick up the tablet and put it in their inventory while you are away. During the almost 2 Sim weeks the tablets were never deleted in the test save. Likely because it's a personal Sim inventory issue that the store team may have forgotten to assign so it doesn't get deleted. Possibly it was something mistakenly overlooked or maybe not whatever the reason(s) would be.

OR

Method 2: Place the tablets in the family inventory.

Then whenever you switch households with stored away tablets, remember to give everyone back their tablets, and also remember to store them all away before switching again.

Maybe someone figured out other workarounds without the use of mods? In any case, method 1 is what I'll likely do and put this storage room in the basement. Now I wonder if this will also work with IF dolls. I'm going to guess so, so I'll store those there too. Plus, when my Sims travel I can just throw all their stuff in the storage for when they get back, lol.

Lab Assistant
#165 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 6:01 PM
Yeah, well, everyone's game is different and may have different issues with different mods. That's what I've learned from The Sims long ago

But back to the Moodlets debate. I am not sure Moodlets were even meant to replace memories. If so, then they definitely failed on that front, which is, most likely, why we saw return of an actual memories, albeit with different (and for some more annoying) philosophy, in the Generation patch. I did hear, however, that negative Moodlets were meant to replace fears from Sims 2. But even with that they quite failed, but mostly, as already mentioned, due to balancing, because the positive Moodlets often overshadow the negative ones to the point that players will stop caring about them. However, LittleCheshire is totally right about Moodlets giving insight in how your Sim is feeling. Plus they allowed to get rid of two need bars and while some may disagree with me, I feel that Environment and Comfort needs were always weird and replacing them with Moodlets allowed better address the exact problem Sim has so player can solve them. And they also added some new gameplay possibilities that wouldn't be possible with them. For example, the whole point of Dream Pod in ITF was to utilise the Moodlet system to the max. It wouldn't work if we didn't have Moodlets. So, yes, Moodlets are great thing, even though a little unbalanced, but I still like them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#166 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 6:55 PM
A rebalanced moodlet system, eh? Sounds like a new mod idea if I ever heard of one.

It also sounds like a project way too big for me to take on, but it's definitely an idea that's up to anyone willing to grab it by the horns.

Forum Resident
#167 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by peno
Yeah, well, everyone's game is different and may have different issues with different mods. That's what I've learned from The Sims long ago

But back to the Moodlets debate. I am not sure Moodlets were even meant to replace memories. If so, then they definitely failed on that front, which is, most likely, why we saw return of an actual memories, albeit with different (and for some more annoying) philosophy, in the Generation patch. I did hear, however, that negative Moodlets were meant to replace fears from Sims 2. But even with that they quite failed, but mostly, as already mentioned, due to balancing, because the positive Moodlets often overshadow the negative ones to the point that players will stop caring about them. However, LittleCheshire is totally right about Moodlets giving insight in how your Sim is feeling. Plus they allowed to get rid of two need bars and while some may disagree with me, I feel that Environment and Comfort needs were always weird and replacing them with Moodlets allowed better address the exact problem Sim has so player can solve them. And they also added some new gameplay possibilities that wouldn't be possible with them. For example, the whole point of Dream Pod in ITF was to utilise the Moodlet system to the max. It wouldn't work if we didn't have Moodlets. So, yes, Moodlets are great thing, even though a little unbalanced, but I still like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqjS4Xz4NQ

Moodlets: Can't remember the interview or which developer may have said it but something along the lines of moodlets act as a way to get additional information about how a Sim is feeling and how that affects them. Personally, the buff system taken from another RPG element fits well with TS3 as for a real life example if someone had a headache would definitely not be in the greatest mood and one would know and understand why. Or an example that can be applied to both real life and game is pregnant women at times having backaches.

I think GEN re-introduced memories similar to TS2 style, yet, there's a reason why memories were never a base game feature in that particular method. There are now two different versions of memories in TS3. The Sim A.I. literally has a memory for each Sim during its whole lifetime meaning Sims store their own memories not displayed in the U.I. This is not just evident to me and there are more players that have already observed this long ago. Not to mention there was or is a feature about Sims being able to hold grudges but how could they possibly do that if memories were never implemented in base game/game engine/A.I.? There's a reason why Richard Evans have been praised for his A.I. in TS3 among other projects he worked on.

I contacted and asked him about the A.I. he created because that's how impressed I am with his work and to see if he could confirm some things for me that I've witnessed many times in TS3. I love how his A.I. is a truly re-envisioned version of TS (2000) and I can definitely see Will Wright's Sim A.I. concept at play based on my observation. So yeah, also just wanted to let him know I admire his work in TS3 and think he did such an amazing job.

Back to memories, I see it all the time how my Sims act and react to other Sims and/or situations based things that have happened in their past. Moodlets, right. A really good feature because I usually skip around to various Sims and if something happened that I missed the moodlet will help to describe what they are feeling and why. Otherwise, I'll be clueless as to why they are feeling a certain way without any context. So yes, I agree with that sentiment as well.

Inventor
#168 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 10:44 PM
The Memory featured introduced in Generations isn't really a memory feature. It's more of a scrapbook to collect pictures of "important" events (in theory, EA added a ton of mundane, trivial memories). It doesn't have ANY effect in terms of gameplay as far as I know.

Like @Deshong said, the game has a hidden memory system in place. One example is the day your Sim started working in particular job, at some point your co-workers will throw an anniversary party at work and you'll get a pop-up telling you this (Sims3.Gameplay.Careers.Occupation.mDateHired). The game also takes note of the day your Sims got married for the purpose of wedding anniversaries (Sims3.Gameplay.Seasons.WeddingAnniversary.mTimeWhenMarried). There's also the more immediate actions (short term memory) like complain about a Sim to other Sim after you had an argument with the first Sim.

Moodlets were meant to add more depth to our Sims without having to create thousands of new animations. I don't feel like they were meant to replace memories or fears completely, but certain effects these had in-game are done through moodlets now. Like I said, the Heart Broken moodlet behaves more or less the same way a negative memory about a Sim dying would in TS2. Certain moodlets make our Sims scared of doing the activity that cause the moodlet (like encountering bugs in a hole in a tomb). Moodlets didn't replace fears the way wishes replaced wants though. Our Sims do not fear something before it happens (in most cases; neurotic Sims feel anxious when they haven't checked the stove/sink/fireplace in a while).

The Sims 3 is nonetheless a deceptively complex game. I've been analyzing the decompiled core assemblies of the game for a while and it's absolutely insane the level of complexity it has under the hood.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#169 Old 7th Sep 2020 at 9:45 PM
Lots of delicious complexity, indeed. It could have been coded and optimized better for sure, though.

Page 7 of 7