Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#101 Old 21st Jul 2020 at 11:59 PM
Well, I'm just stubborn I suppose. I've had to leave behind a lot of old favourite games simply because they weren't compatible with Vista or Windows 7; games that I would have liked to play again, or that I would love to have finished but never will now. Consequently, so long as I can play TS3, I darned well will play TS3. I have become very attached to some of my pixel dollies, and I wouldn't discard them any more than I would throw away any of my favourite childhood dolls. And, for the same reason, I still keep TS2 installed on my old PC and, even though I don't play it so often now, I still like to pop in for a visit now and again. One owes it to old friends you know.

And if that makes me sound like some batty old lady who really does think she's queen of the fairies, I don't give a toss!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 12:08 AM
But Your Fairy Majesty surely do know that fairies are only available in Sims 3, right?
Scholar
#103 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 12:10 AM
Indubitably, which is another reason for preferring 3.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#104 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 2:33 PM
While it's on my mind--and I know some may disagree with me on this--I wanna say that another reason as to why I love the Sims 3 is the graphics. I know that most people don't like them, and I agree that most of the Sims look the same and the hairs and clothes aren't the best, but I absolutely adore the more realistic touch they took with the Sims 3. I don't mind the way they look in the Sims 2, but I do not enjoy how they look in the Sims 4. I'm not a fan of the plastic, rubbery, cartoony look and vibe, but that's just personal preference.

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Forum Resident
#105 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LittleCheshire
While it's on my mind--and I know some may disagree with me on this--I wanna say that another reason as to why I love the Sims 3 is the graphics. I know that most people don't like them, and I agree that most of the Sims look the same and the hairs and clothes aren't the best, but I absolutely adore the more realistic touch they took with the Sims 3. I don't mind the way they look in the Sims 2, but I do not enjoy how they look in the Sims 4. I'm not a fan of the plastic, rubbery, cartoony look and vibe, but that's just personal preference.

Personally, I like how TS3 Sims look and with the sliders and CASt can really create all kinds of unique looking Sims. However, I do notice that it seems more players struggle with CAS because their lack of skill and just blame the game that Sims generally all look the same which is not true at all except randomly generated Sims in the face. Also, clothes are mostly good in my opinion, even in the base game if you know how to use CASt to your liking.

Here are too many examples, lol.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Forum Resident
#106 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
Personally, I like how TS3 Sims look and with the sliders and CASt can really create all kinds of unique looking Sims. However, I do notice that it seems more players struggle with CAS because their lack of skill and just blame the game that Sims generally all look the same which is not true at all except randomly generated Sims in the face. Also, clothes are mostly good in my opinion, even in the base game if you know how to use CASt to your liking.

Well, admittedly the game could have done with a few more sliders for extra refinement for those who don't like/don't use cc for whatever reason (def not me lol). I always hated how EA never added a chin width slider themselves, always had to rely on using Gnat's custom slider.

But yes, the clothes are not as bad as people make them out to be. Some are not as versatile for every situation, but CASt remedies a lot of that. The only real grievance I have with EA clothes in general is something small - the painted on necklaces on over half of them. I never understood why they did that. Did they forget that they had an accessories section? We hardly ever got real accessories in the form of eyewear/necklaces, yet they'd paint them on the tops.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#107 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 6:32 PM
The open world is like the ultimate experience after being locked in to lots like a lab mouse.

The customization tool Create-A-Style (CASt) makes it a space saver in regards to recolors.

Numerous parts (although not as much as 4 provided) but will suffice in Create-A-Sim (CAS)

The first installment to recognize marriage equality by addressing committed same-sex relationships as marriage and spouses as husband (male) and wife (female). This would be years before the US, EA's country of origin would recognize it nationwide.

Beyond clothes, body parts and colors would also have this feature in the first ½ of Create-A-Sim.

It's pretty good after all this time.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Field Researcher
#108 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 11:05 PM
Open world... Create a world. Sims with better personalities. Town feels lively (in a way that makes sense... not like the stalker sims from ts2 and 4).

I think what does it for me is the atmospheric element of sims 3. I love downloading custom worlds, populating them, choosing a lighting mod that would look good with it. And soon I'm playing in a world with a very distinct vibe. I don't think I'll ever play a sims game again if they don't have create a world... or at least have worlds with some distinct vibes and not a 2D map.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#109 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 3:42 AM
@Deshong may I just say that I fuckin' love and appreciate your sims, especially your non-white ones. They look lovely. ^-^

I, too, have no problem creating distinct, good looking sims in CAS without cc or modded in sliders. When I say that most sims in the Sims 3 look the same and like potatoes I'm referring to the townies that EA puts in the worlds. Even then though, not all of them look bad or samey; personally I think that everyone in Appaloosa Plains looks excellent, no makeovers needed. ~<3

(I've got quite a few crushes on the lady sims in that world, I won't lie. )

Plus, sims generated besides the ones the world starts off with tend to look distinct without any help, so again, the samey, potato looking sims is mostly EA's fault and to a lesser extent it could be the fault of those unable to get a hold of the--admittedly--limited CAS tools offered to them.

Forum Resident
#110 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 4:41 PM Last edited by Deshong : 24th Jul 2020 at 5:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Well, admittedly the game could have done with a few more sliders for extra refinement for those who don't like/don't use cc for whatever reason (def not me lol). I always hated how EA never added a chin width slider themselves, always had to rely on using Gnat's custom slider.

But yes, the clothes are not as bad as people make them out to be. Some are not as versatile for every situation, but CASt remedies a lot of that. The only real grievance I have with EA clothes in general is something small - the painted on necklaces on over half of them. I never understood why they did that. Did they forget that they had an accessories section? We hardly ever got real accessories in the form of eyewear/necklaces, yet they'd paint them on the tops.

I can't remember which sliders but if I remember correctly I think there were some sliders in TS2 that were omitted in TS3 that I didn't understand why. TS3 CAS is still good for what it is, but yes, it could have been even more in-depth. It makes so much sense as we play with these Sims or at the very least see them around town so spending time in creating them should be as expansive and in-depth as possible. I'm still disappointed that human Sims cannot have heterochromia but cats, dogs and horses? has that option. I also would have loved if they included a chance for Sims to have or be a carrier of albinism or vitiligo.

Something else is the lack of use for the hospital in-game. Why don't Sims get injured, get sick, have disabilities, etc? Why are there no ambulances and such medical services despite a Sim can be an EMT/paramedic? There is a lot to go into detail for a realistic life simulator or what's the point and even creating a life simulator. Though there are certain aspects of reality I want implemented into the game not every single thing which would be an overload anyway. I wish there was an actual economy, mortgage, loans, banks, etc. What about implementing types of social classes like high class, middle class, working class and lower class. Gas stations, hybrid gas/electric stations, other forms of transportation such as buses, trains, planes. And one more thing because I'm getting way too passionate about this, lol. There aren't any garbage disposal or recycling services in TS3 and so there is just an endless space for that large trash can or recycling bin outside.

Why can't my Sim be a maid, repair technician, babysitter, working any of the jobs as a cash register, etc? Okay, seriously I need to stop right here, lol.

Moving on, I have to agree I don't care much for the painted on jewelry either and it doesn't make any sense why they didn't instead make 3D meshes and have those in the accessories category. I'll still use some of those outfits but I think I may see how I like it better by downloading a mod to remove at least some, if not all of the painted on jewelry.

@Deshong may I just say that I fuckin' love and appreciate your sims, especially your non-white ones. They look lovely. ^-^

I, too, have no problem creating distinct, good looking sims in CAS without cc or modded in sliders. When I say that most sims in the Sims 3 look the same and like potatoes I'm referring to the townies that EA puts in the worlds. Even then though, not all of them look bad or samey; personally I think that everyone in Appaloosa Plains looks excellent, no makeovers needed. ~<3

(I've got quite a few crushes on the lady sims in that world, I won't lie. )

Plus, sims generated besides the ones the world starts off with tend to look distinct without any help, so again, the samey, potato looking sims is mostly EA's fault and to a lesser extent it could be the fault of those unable to get a hold of the--admittedly--limited CAS tools offered to them.

Thank you.

You sure you don't have a mod that is changing the appearance of Sims in your game because all my Sims look mostly the same in the face. Almost every female randomly generated Sim, I call a Jean clone, because one of my Sims married the babysitter and that's her name. However, the next time I get to back to that save I'm going to change her face because it's annoying me, which means I have to tweak her kids face a bit whoever inherited some of her facial features.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Forum Resident
#111 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 5:13 PM
@Deshong If you like some of the painted on necklaces, but want more choice on where to apply them I know of these.

https://lost-my-plumbbob-in-your-po...om/tagged/ts3cc

I don't think it's every instance of them, but enough of the nicer ones I think even though they're not 3D meshes. Also, i-like-teh-sims's tumblr should have most if not all of the base game and expansion top meshes with replacements to get rid of the painted on necklaces if you're looking for those. They're also individually sorted so if you do like a few of them over others, you can install them separately.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Forum Resident
#112 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 5:21 PM
@Jathom95 Thanks. I'll give those a try.

Lab Assistant
#113 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 6:11 PM
I also would have loved if they included a chance for Sims to have or be a carrier of albinism

That reminded me of when I tried to create an Albino Sim. I actually created him as part of black family and he had a black twin brother, so, I did leave his features the same as his brother and only changed his skin, hair and eye colour, but I still don't think he looked like realistic black Albino. Still, I am quite proud of the work I did on him.

But where I really have a problem are Asian-looking Sims and even worse black-Asian mixed Sims. Yours looks great, but mine always looked like blacks with slanted eyes, no matter what I tried
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#114 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 7:40 PM
You sure you don't have a mod that is changing the appearance of Sims in your game because all my Sims look mostly the same in the face. Almost every female randomly generated Sim, I call a Jean clone, because one of my Sims married the babysitter and that's her name.

Hm, no, I don't think so! Unless Nraas is doing somethin' I don't have anything running behind the scene makin' sure I don't get clones. Actually, before I knew Nraas and mods were a thing I don't think I ever encountered randomly generated clones in my gameplay, and I was, and still am, one to pay attention to my world's population.

On another note, sims do get sick but it's not as severe as it is in the Sims 2. But, there's a mod on this site that fixes that, if I recall correctly.

Instructor
#115 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 12:45 AM
NRass has vector for creating diseases. It would be nice if they could break an arm or leg and need a cast, or if they got cuts and bruises from things like fights etc.
Mad Poster
#116 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 6:05 PM
Something else is the lack of use for the hospital in-game. Why don't Sims get injured, get sick, have disabilities, etc? Why are there no ambulances and such medical services despite a Sim can be an EMT/paramedic? There is a lot to go into detail for a realistic life simulator or what's the point and even creating a life simulator. Though there are certain aspects of reality I want implemented into the game not every single thing which would be an overload anyway. I wish there was an actual economy, mortgage, loans, banks, etc. What about implementing types of social classes like high class, middle class, working class and lower class. Gas stations, hybrid gas/electric stations, other forms of transportation such as buses, trains, planes. And one more thing because I'm getting way too passionate about this, lol. There aren't any garbage disposal or recycling services in TS3 and so there is just an endless space for that large trash can or recycling bin outside.

Why can't my Sim be a maid, repair technician, babysitter, working any of the jobs as a cash register, etc? Okay, seriously I need to stop right here, lol.

I think that some illness/injury system like the one NRAAS implemented would be appreciated, and that your pregnant/ill/injureds sims would be transported to the hospital via ambulance.

It would have also been nice if the NPC town careers could also be played by active sims, like some of the Ambitions careers- your sim should be able to become a maid or a handyman, and they should be the ones visiting your other sims' houses! The Sims series has strangely always sort of been a white collar simulator, and some jobs seem to be beneath them.

That being said, I personally don't mind most of these careers being rabbithole careers- that they exist is enough for me. It is strange though that they didn't bother implementing more careers since it's just all text with maybe a reward- I wish that they had more plain careers, rather than sims being funneled into a few unique ones.

I think that simulating an entire economy may be too complex, but I definitely think there should be family and personal money accounts, and a simple option to borrow and invest money (buying lots is a good proxy, though it only captures part of the picture).

IMO, the town economy should be a bit more abstract (maybe just a general 'national economy' status), but I think that a more involved politics and criminal overlay would have been good- with maybe the ability to do things like enact ordinances and pull off heists once your sim reaches certain levels.

At the moment now, sims still don't really have all that much of an impact on the world- they don't really lead, they just fit in as a cog. You can sort of see this in the careers- even if you sim is high up in the career ladder or if all your coworkers are on the same level, the game still turns a coworker into a boss.

Moving on, I have to agree I don't care much for the painted on jewelry either and it doesn't make any sense why they didn't instead make 3D meshes and have those in the accessories category. I'll still use some of those outfits but I think I may see how I like it better by downloading a mod to remove at least some, if not all of the painted on jewelry.

I find that in some clothes, the Stencil Remover can eliminate some of the tackier painted-on stuff: https://modthesims.info/d/478307/re...01-16-2014.html
Forum Resident
#117 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 2:29 AM Last edited by Deshong : 26th Jul 2020 at 2:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by peno
That reminded me of when I tried to create an Albino Sim. I actually created him as part of black family and he had a black twin brother, so, I did leave his features the same as his brother and only changed his skin, hair and eye colour, but I still don't think he looked like realistic black Albino. Still, I am quite proud of the work I did on him.

But where I really have a problem are Asian-looking Sims and even worse black-Asian mixed Sims. Yours looks great, but mine always looked like blacks with slanted eyes, no matter what I tried

When it comes to multi ethnic people, it varies. The best way to get an idea of the kind of look you want for your Sim is to find real world examples of African and Asian ethnicities. Try searching Blasian or African and Asian people in a search engine to get visual ideas.

Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I find that in some clothes, the Stencil Remover can eliminate some of the tackier painted-on stuff: https://modthesims.info/d/478307/re...01-16-2014.html

Thanks, I forgot about that feature of the mod and mostly use it to remove the shine.

Lab Assistant
#118 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 11:16 PM

I definitely agree! It shocked me when I came back from playing 4 to playing 3 and realized how much more realistic the sims looked in CAS. (I probably never realized since I'm now playing on a much better computer and can run the settings all on high :'D) I really dislike the default skin set for 4, I feel like it was designed to make every sim you could create look as good as possible, but it's very bland and fake looking. I can't quite describe the difference properly, besides the skin.
A lot of the clothes and hair that are supposed to look modern are very dated, but that can be fixed with CC. And anyway, it's not like the clothes in 4 are really even better, so many of them are just so hipsterish, even the toddler clothes. :'D Lil baby hipsters. Well, not that that's a bad thing for everyone, I definitely don't mind a few sims dressed that way, for sure, and I will create sims dressed that way. Just feels like a bit too much.
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
Well, I'm just stubborn I suppose. I've had to leave behind a lot of old favourite games simply because they weren't compatible with Vista or Windows 7; games that I would have liked to play again, or that I would love to have finished but never will now. Consequently, so long as I can play TS3, I darned well will play TS3. I have become very attached to some of my pixel dollies, and I wouldn't discard them any more than I would throw away any of my favourite childhood dolls. And, for the same reason, I still keep TS2 installed on my old PC and, even though I don't play it so often now, I still like to pop in for a visit now and again. One owes it to old friends you know.

And if that makes me sound like some batty old lady who really does think she's queen of the fairies, I don't give a toss!

The matriarch of my sim family died the other day and I've been in a funk ever since. Poor Meredith. Her daughter and granddaughter are totally lost without her and I'm struggling to keep my legacy going without grandma around to hold what's left of the family together.
Theorist
#120 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 3:10 PM Last edited by tizerist : 30th Jul 2020 at 6:11 PM.
At this point, EA have made me so venomous with their actions that I'll curse them no matter what they do. If they do a TS5 with open world, I'll be like so closed world WAS a step backwards then, we told you that 10 years ago. And if they don't, I'll curse them for being incompetent. The turning point was the admission that they depend on modders fixing their bugs, a shamefull admission that I hope breaches laws of some sort. They are past the point of redemption.
And now, the potential of little indie Paralives humiliating them.
Oh, and scrapping my beloved Burnout series? "Nemesis declared" as they would say.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#121 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
At this point, EA have made me so venomous with their actions that I'll curse them no matter what they do. If they do a TS5 with open world, I'll be like so closed world WAS a step backwards then. We told you that 10 years ago, and if they don't, I'll curse them for being incompetent. The turning point was the admission that they depend on modders fixing their bugs, a shamefull admission that I hope breaches laws of some sort.
And now, the potential of little indie Paralives humiliating them.
They are past the point of redemption.

They do have a way out of this. How about if in TS5 or some other future iteration they present the player with an options selection that goes something like "Would you like this to be an Open World (TS3 style) or Closed (TS2/4 style)?" and then the correct switchable game engine takes over depending on player choice. Not very likely to happen I guess, but we all have our little fantasies for what the future might look like.
Mad Poster
#122 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
They do have a way out of this. How about if in TS5 or some other future iteration they present the player with an options selection that goes something like "Would you like this to be an Open World (TS3 style) or Closed (TS2/4 style)?" and then the correct switchable game engine takes over depending on player choice. Not very likely to happen I guess, but we all have our little fantasies for what the future might look like.

I could see it as being a slider in the gameplay options menu for the 'Number of Open Households', rather than two different game engines- sort of like the 'Number of High-Detail Lots' option in TS3.

IMO, I still think they'll do tiny set-dressing-heavy worlds for TS5, but integrate open lots into them. Basically some hybrid of TS3 and TS4.

I personally don't know why they haven't been able to do it for TS4, especially considering that all the lots (including interior contents) are already loaded in whether you want them or not.
Theorist
#123 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 5:44 PM Last edited by tizerist : 30th Jul 2020 at 5:58 PM.
How about

Thing is, open world games can emulate a closed environment perfectly. An example would be entering a cave in Skyrim. Its a closed environment within an open one. To transfer between them is almost seamless, it takes a second or two, and thats it. Optimise your engine, and it will work.
So, focusing one one lot at a time is fine, just make sure theres an open world out there behind it all. Most of us fell in love with the genre when it was only closed world (myself from the 80's) but that doesnt cut it nowadays.
They allowed simmers to peek outside at the big wide world then closed the curtains and said forget about that, theres nothing out there.
But no! We saw it, and we wont go back to horse and cart!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#124 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
At this point, EA have made me so venomous with their actions that I'll curse them no matter what they do. If they do a TS5 with open world, I'll be like so closed world WAS a step backwards then, we told you that 10 years ago. And if they don't, I'll curse them for being incompetent. The turning point was the admission that they depend on modders fixing their bugs, a shamefull admission that I hope breaches laws of some sort. They are past the point of redemption.

This has always been true since the beginning of the first game (Sims 1.0). Many of the bugs from the first game were never, ever fixed, including the Devil Lady bug/Upside Down Head Syndrome.

And every gaming company does this. Some are far worse than EA. I don't know if they're still doing this, but there was a time when some companies were actually charging players a premium to beta test their games before they were even completed, except they sneakily called this "early access". I remember a controversy some time ago where one game was charging something like $60 and the game wasn't even close to being complete.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#125 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 11:15 PM

I really, really don't want to sound rude, or angry, or bitter, but I Do Not Want A Sims 5.

Just. No. Full stop.

I could care less if the Sims 5 is open world or if they even give you the choice for you to play in open world or closed world style. I do not want another Sims game from the company that is showing time and time again that they prioritize money over literally every fucking thing else. I do not want another Sims game that prioritizes aesthetics over substance. I do not want another Sims game that succeeds on some levels, but horrifically fails on so many others. I do not want another Sims game that requires it's playerbase to work tirelessly to make the gameplay worthwhile. I do not want another Sims game where the developers explicitly tell the playerbase that they should choose between things they want to see in the game that they should've gotten in the beginning. I do not want another Sims game where content is removed from content packs for seemingly no reason or worse, removed to be placed in a different, new pack. I do not want another Sims game that is way past the end of it's lifecycle and to be told that this is a good thing. I do not want another Sims game that has fifty-eleven packs because the developers insist on piecemealing content to it's players. I do not want another Sims game where part of it's playerbase is frothing at the mouth to defend this downsizing and piecemealing.

I can not, physically, emotionally, nor spiritually do this again. I can not, physically, emotionally, nor spiritually watch others do this again.

(If y'all catch me listening to the Sims 1, 2, and 3 soundtracks mind your business, I'm goin' through sumn.)

Page 5 of 7