Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Sep 2020 at 2:50 AM
Default Any way to change names, descriptions, or prices of downloaded objects?
I figure it would be too much to ask about altering their stats. But what about these other things? Any mods or anything that would be helpful?
Advertisement
Inventor
#3 Old 11th Sep 2020 at 3:04 AM
The easiest way to change names and descriptions is with the STBL manager: https://www.modthesims.info/d/48942...ns-utility.html

Just open a package file, export the strings in your language as XML, open it with a text editor, change the text between ">" and "<", save the file, go back to the STBL manager, import it and save. Alternatively, you can edit them with the program string by string for every language you want by going to the "Strings List" tab and clicking on Edit.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Sep 2020 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
The easiest way to change names and descriptions is with the STBL manager: https://www.modthesims.info/d/48942...ns-utility.html

Just open a package file, export the strings in your language as XML, open it with a text editor, change the text between ">" and "<", save the file, go back to the STBL manager, import it and save. Alternatively, you can edit them with the program string by string for every language you want by going to the "Strings List" tab and clicking on Edit.

Whoa! Doesn't sound easy, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for answering!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 2:03 AM
Yeah I already ran into a dead end. Instructions say to "Use File / Open Package to open a package" but I went to the folder where I downloaded my mods and I guess none of them count as "packages"? I tried opening one of the files (after switching to view all files) but it doesn't let me.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 12:34 PM
What file format are the files in if they aren't package files? If they are zip, rar or 7zip then you need to extract them first.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 8:54 PM
The files in question thus far are sims3packs, and the OP is getting assistance with using TSRW on them at NRaas.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 9:20 PM
There are tons of legit reasons for doing this that have nothing to do with stealing and re-uploading. For example, the player may want the objects in question to have totally different names, prices, and Build/Buy catalog categories, all for their own personal use. The OP is not familiar with any of these tools and wasn't sure of the differences between sims3packs and packages to begin with, in which case I regarded the extraction and S3PE method as Plan B and we will probably get to that if/when any of the content remains stubborn.

I've used TSRW for this purpose myself again for my own use only as an occasional path of less resistance, there's no need to jump to conclusions about there being nefarious intentions. You are welcome to join the thread at NRaas if you would like to offer a detailed alternate solution with steps clearly outlined for a beginner.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 11:15 PM
Ah, good that you have it under control, @igazor ! :lovestruc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 11:20 PM
So far, so good, igazor. There are some doors (garage doors, actually) that I still can't change the price of for some reason, but I figure it's due to some difference between Buy and Build type objects? I do wish there was a faster way to do all this though!

And no, I'm not doing any of this to copy or publish as my own. I'm simply wanting to polish up the names, descriptions, etc. for my own personal use. Some objects are also in the wrong categories by default, so I'm just trying to organize them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 3:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Oh IC, is TSRW easy to use? The S3PE doesn't require extraction. It comes with a built in grid editor. That's why it is so easy. Everything is listed out with a GUI pull down menu. I'm surprised most people don't know this, I assume modders would know. It is the only way I know how to modify the CASP in package files since the CASPeditor only works on sims3pack. And it actually works so much better, allowing more control over it than in the CASPeditor.

Would you care to list the steps for me? I am getting used to the other method, but you may be right that S3PE is better and/or faster.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 4:00 AM
S3PE ... comes with a built in grid editor.

I just learned something new! I usually have found no need to edit these things but some name edits would be nice on some things. Thank you!
Inventor
#16 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 3:51 PM
Just FYI, the name and description aren't stored in the OBJD resource. They're in the STBL resources (localized strings).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 4:35 PM
I actually never tried it, but I'm wondering if it is possible to edit some of those CC objects such as RH rugs that when you place on a 2nd floor, it doesn't disappear when you're on the 1st floor.

1) Using Delphy's multi-installer, extract the package files from the sims3pack.
2) Open the package file with S3PE.
3) Look for the OBJD file, click it, then click the "grid" button on the bottom.
4) Look around and change what you need.

Ok, what shows up when I click "Grid" looks very complicated. I can't figure out what to change (or even what's safe to change). Plus the file names after I extracted them with Delphy's multi-installer are just letters and numbers so I wouldn't be able to find the file for whatever object I want to change easily.

I did run across another program, called S3OC, that at least looks simpler. But A. There is only a "Clone or Fix" button with which to save my changes (so I'm guessing I would still be having to change files and then export them to the folder I want them in same as I am now), and B. It doesn't seem to let me change the room flags, function flags, etc.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Just FYI, the name and description aren't stored in the OBJD resource. They're in the STBL resources (localized strings).

Same as above, with the STBL. Whether I double click one of the lines with "STBL" or click Grid, I can't figure out what to do next because there's no fields or anything that clearly say "Price", "Description", etc.
Inventor
#19 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 5:30 PM
Price can be changed by changing the numeric value here:

The sorting can be changed here:

You need to set to TRUE all the categories you want the object to appear. There's sort by room and sorty by function, and there are subcategories too. The subcategories for sort by function are pretty easy to understand. The subcategories for sort by room are a little bit more obscured by this image may guide you through them:

If it's a build mode object (column, window, door, arch, fireplace, etc), you need to set everything else to false and set the appropriate build mode categories.

For the name and description, you have to click on a STBL resource, then click on the GRID button, then on the "..." button next to "Dictionary" and then you'll find the name and description. Edit the field in Value, and then click on the second element and edit its value too. Click on ok and then commit. You'll have to do this for EVERY STBL resource. If the package you are editing doesn't have a _KEY (most of them don't), it's almost impossible the language associated to each STBL resource, so you'll have to edit them all.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 10:23 PM
Does anyone yet see why I suggested TSRW as an alternative first? Again, this was all plan B but the OP is just going down that road a bit sooner than expected. The more tools one has in one's toolbox, the easier tasks like this become over time.

Just wanted to point out that yes, it's fine for sanity's sake to rename package files to something more meaningful. The game doesn't care about the package file names, only the player does. But then one does run the slight risk of losing track of what one has installed/modified in the future and it becomes a bit too easy to accidentally install the same package file content multiple times, with different file names and possibly modified in different ways, unless one stays very organized.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 11:43 PM
I see it as more of a need to respect the potential learning curve for a player who has never even seen tools like these before. I mean, the first time I saw S3PE I was overwhelmed -- more in an amused way than a panicky one. But I was only in there to figure out how to adjust the tuning on one mod, not edit objects, so I got what I needed done by following some very helpful and carefully laid out instructions and left quickly. Then got around to exploring the rest of its capabilities much later and actually still have much to learn as so many of us do.

The next time someone provided me with instructions on something package related, I think it was Chain but it was so long ago it may have been someone else, I felt they were treating me as if I were a 3-year-old learning to tie his shoes. Had to resist snapping back with something like, "Would you just get to the point already and say which resources needs to be adjusted to what instead of so carefully walking me through the filters to find them and how to edit XML, as I already see how to do all that?" as I knew they were only trying to be helpful and overly cautious with a perceived newbie.

It can of course be very challenging to find the right level to begin at when helping out newer players, it's not always a matter of entitlement.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 6:14 AM
Yeah, maybe I'm just not realizing it, but it doesn't really seem any better than the method igazor gave me at first. The way I have everything set up, it's about the same amount of clicking but with all the files already named something I can recognize each item by.

As for the frustrations, sorry, but I've no aspirations of being a modder. I just needed to know a few things, so I asked for just those few things.

I will be presumptuous enough to say, however, that it seems like any one of these programs could be far more intuitive. And any complaints that I should just learn how to do it myself is somewhat contradicted by the presence of these programs to begin with. Isn't the point of them being distributed to make it easier for the next guy? I mean, why are you guys familiar with them? Why didn't you all just make your own programs, hmmmmm? :P
Mad Poster
#25 Old 14th Sep 2020 at 6:32 AM Last edited by igazor : 14th Sep 2020 at 7:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Vic 2.0
I will be presumptuous enough to say, however, that it seems like any one of these programs could be far more intuitive. And any complaints that I should just learn how to do it myself is somewhat contradicted by the presence of these programs to begin with. Isn't the point of them being distributed to make it easier for the next guy? I mean, why are you guys familiar with them? Why didn't you all just make your own programs, hmmmmm? :P

Okay, now at the risk of contradicting myself that is an example of unrealistic entitlement.

A small number of wonderful and kind genius programmers active throughout the game's history have made these utility tools for us to enjoy, and collectively they do around 6,500 different things (probably, all added together). You are trying to do 4 things, more or less, and are somewhat unhappy because the tools offer too many distracting features that appear to be getting in your way, so you would prefer one tool that might be called 3PackFurnitureNameAndPriceChanger (or something like that). But the next player who comes along needs 5 different features only because they are working with hairs or baby clothes so they want an EasyHairAndBabyCASP_Fixer, the next 3 others...it just doesn't work like that.

It's totally fine if you have no current interest in the rest of what any of these tools do. But if you are in the game for the long-haul and not just a passing month or two of gameplay, you may return with some completely different editing project in mind and having a basic understanding of how let's say S3PE works would actually be helpful or at least make things seem less daunting. Naus did a really good job with those illustrations hiding behind the Spoilers a few posts back.

It took the content designers much time and effort to create those CC items like the office chair we started with, painstakingly one at a time each. It stands to reason that editing their attributes would also be a somewhat tedious one item at a time process, sorry.
Page 1 of 2