Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 568 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 4:05 AM
Default GPU RAMdisk
I'm not sure if I've posted this before, my memory doesn't serve me. But if I didn't I thought I share this interesting find.

For the longest time this was deemed impossible, but then one guy actually created a software as a PoC (proof of concept) that you can actually use your GPU VRAM to create a RAMdisk.

I've tried this program for a little bit and it seems to work fine. However, as it was just a PoC, it is limited in functions and stuff, but overall it works. Click the link and just go to the bottom at "usage" and it gives you the link to IMDisk Virtual Drive and the GPURAMdisk software.

https://github.com/prsyahmi/GpuRamDrive

Now this may or may not be useful to you, depending on what you do and what your GPU is.

I have a Nvidia GT 650m, with 2GB of VRAM. TS3 only uses at most 700-700MB, so I've always felt it was a waste to leave those VRAM on there. I like to watch movies while I play TS3, but I don't like to have my HDD running for 2 hrs. I use to put the movie on my regular RAMdisk and watch from there, but since then my mods/CC folders have gotten so big, it ate up my spare room on the RAMdisk.

So with this program, I created a 1GB GPURAMdisk and then put the movie on there to watch while I play. That's the extent of my usage for this.

So a few notes:
1) By default it is set to exFAT, but you can change it to NTFS.
2) Your GPU will be "on" if you are using this since it uses the VRAM. So if you are on a laptop that uses optimus which your GPU is shared with your Intel HD, which turns off your dedicated GPU when not in use, then it means it will draw more power like you're actually using the GPU. Since the only time I need it is during TS3, I unmount and remove the GPURAMdisk when I don't need it to let my GPU rest.
3) Instruction says to unmount before shutdown, I don't know what happens if you don't. But I just follow the instruction.
4) Do not create more than what you have or need. For example, my 650m has 2GB VRAM but can also use additional 2GB from your RAM, total of 4GB. Since my TS3 never uses more than 700-800MB, I should not create a GPURAMdisk greater than 1.2-1.3GB. Otherwise if TS3 ran out of VRAM, it will just use my RAM which is redundant.
5) Like #4, this program is pointless for Intel HD or other integrated GPU as they use your RAM as VRAM
6) GPURAMDisk is slower than regular RAMdisk because of the PCIe link between the CPU and GPU to negotiate for the usage of the VRAM. This is why #5 is redundant, just use a regular RAMdisk to create one with your RAM. However, GPURAMdisk is still faster than traditional HDD and SATA SSD.

So check it out, have fun. I imagine those with very high end GPU with lots of VRAM could create larger RAMdisks. You can use them like me to watch movies, or for caching, or use them as dumpdisks for temp drive or scratch drives. Or, you can even move TS3 user folder (mods/etc..) on there and connect with junction link to speed up your game! (link)

One other thought? Use them when you record videos while playing Sims or other games since again they are faster than HDD and SSD.

Enjoy!

Oh disclaimer, since I haven't thoroughly tested it, so try at your own risk. But so far it seems to be fine.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 9:33 PM
Very very interesting. It's a shame my good GPU died so I don't have the 8 gigs of VRAM to play with anymore, or I would've.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 9:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyCalledPi
Very very interesting. It's a shame my good GPU died so I don't have the 8 gigs of VRAM to play with anymore, or I would've.

It depends on what you want to do with it, I'm only using 1GB of my 2GB VRAM. If you have 8GB, that would be an awesome 7GB RAMdisk. You can do a ton of stuff with that.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 6:36 PM
I had an 8GB RAMdisk on the regular RAM thingy and that worked reasonably well before I had my entire game install on these fairly quick SSDs. That's 8 out of 16 though, I'll probably be upgrading to 64 gigs relatively soon and then I'm going to try dumping the entire game install in my RAM, or maybe at least the base game and all caches, saves and mods. There's no one solution to TS3's problem but I still have faith in the old method of throwing processing power at it until it works strategy. Has anyone tried TS3 on an RTX 3080 yet? I'm interested in getting one.

Hypocrisy is only okay if I do it.
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 2:03 AM
Yeah, I currently have 6gb RAMdisk out of 16 and it fits all my TS3 user folder. I only have a little more than 2GB of CC/mods. But I also have 2GB in eBoostr, so essentially I am running an 8GB system. It is enough to play Sims, which is the most resource hogging program I have, but if I am going to surf the web at the same time, such as watching movies and tv shows, it triggers the max RAM and need to use the swap file.

It would be sweet to see the whole TS3 on a RAMdisk, but at the moment, I think my CPU, 3rd gen i7, is too old. I already have TS3 on a SSD and in eboostr, but a lot of the delay and pulse lag such as in CAS are from the CPU bottleneck. It is hard to imagine an i7 quad core hyperthreaded to 8 would still not be sufficient to run TS3 lag free.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.