Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 692 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 10:04 PM
Default Added Visual Effect to the 'Birdwatch' Interaction
Having discovered an unused effect holder associated with the 'Birdwatch' interaction, I decided to actually implement it.

Birdwatching is managed by a controller object. I edited the interaction so that it begins by spawning and activating the effect holder, and deactivates it before the controller goes on to delete itself. The effect used is one of the Freetime neighborhood deco ones. The holder itself now has a 'Main' loop that checks whether it should be deleted, and self-destructs as needed. This seemed to properly happen in my game, but I'd like to really be sure before I share the mod. I guess I'm asking for the Sims equivalent of a code review, haha.

Ressources involved:

Group 0x7FF9CCFE - 'Controller - Bird Watch'
Interaction - Birdwatch (BHAV 0x00001005)
Sub - Place FX Holder (BHAV 0x00001007)
Sub - Delete FX Holder (BHAV 0x00001009) (new)
Bug Hunt! (Pie Menu Functions 0x00000001)*
Attributes (STR# 0x00000100)

Group 0x7F6A3DC8 - 'Effect Holder - Bird Watching'
[Object Functions] (OBJf 0x000041A7)
Function - Init (BHAV 0x00001000)
Function - Main (0x00001001) (new)
Attributes (STR# 0x00000100) (new)

* : I ticked the 'Teen' flag. but it doesn't seem to have enabled the interaction for them.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip CandK_BirdwatchEffect.zip (916 Bytes, 22 downloads)

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.
Advertisement
Dancing Flamingo
staff: administrator
-.-- -.-- --..
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 3:35 PM
Very cool! This was a feature that was shown in some of the pre-release promotional images for Freetime, but when we got the game it wasn't in there. I'll try it out when I boot my full game next!
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:28 PM
why is this under creator feedback forum, where you usually on find WIP, (Work-In-Progress), mods?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 9:47 PM
Ohh! I remembered seeing that too, though I wasn't sure where. Thank you for clarifying haha.

I posted here because I want feedback, obviously. I'm not super experienced making this kind of mod, so I want to make sure I did it properly.

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.
Dancing Flamingo
staff: administrator
#6 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 1:46 PM
Since enabling via the ttab doesn't work for teens, I wonder if it can be forced via the bhavs using an age check?  Before the FT patch I remember there was a snafu with this hobby and teens, memories? hrm, I'll have to find it!  Either way it's cook and staying in my downloads.