Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:16 AM
Default Next Year Classes
To keep the spam-burgers out of the intro. thread :D

What are your classes next year?

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:18 AM
Firstly, Thanks, I didn't want to seem pushy and start this thread myself.

And next year (assuming that all goes according to plan) I'll be
Science Aide first semester, AP Calc BC second semester
Independent study in Economics (with the intent of taking the Macroeconomics and Microeconomics AP Test)
AP Latin
AP Chemistry
AP Physics
AP European History
AP Lit

And before you ask, no, I am not suicidal.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:19 AM
You have your schedule for next year classes already? We haven't gotten ours yet, we usually get them during the Summer. We haven't even signed up for them yet.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:22 AM
Your welcome :D

Quote: Originally posted by Panda
And before you ask, no, I am not suicidal

I was thinking more in deep need of a straight jacket

And I thought I would be insane just taking English 3 Honors/Acc. :P

My (hopeful) Next Year classes:
Science class-????
Math- Geometry Connections (I'm passing Alg. B with an A, I'd hope, being my 2nd year)
Spanish- Level 3
History- U.S. History (CP)
English- English 3 (CP)
Elective- I want Art I

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 1:23 AM
At my school we don't pick our classes til February, but after sophomore year most people know exactly what classes they will sign up for.

We get our schedules the last week of school.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 3:22 AM
Hmm, well some of us ARE in college and the new semester starts in about a couple of weeks.

Here are my courses set up for next semester.

Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 12:36 PM
Wow, I guess the U.S system's a lot different to ours, eh?
In years 7,8 and 9 you have to study English Lit, English Lang, all Sciences, German or Spanish, French, Latin, RS, Design Tech, Food Tech, Textiles, Geography, Art, Drama, Maths...and then the compulsary P.E and Games. Then in Year 10 you choose what subjects you will do for GCSE (General Certificate of Standard Education) Including 1 Modern Lang, 1 humanities, 1 Art and then one free-choice(with English, Science and Maths compulsary). I chose French, History, Drama and Latin.
Then next year in 6th Form you have to choose 4 subjects with the extra options of Photography, Politics, Economics, Business Studies, Psycology, Law, 3D Design, Art History and some others i'm not quite sure of...for A-level. So i'm going with Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lang!
Of course this is just for my school, some differ slightly, overall we recieve 9 GCSE's (If we pass) of grades G-A* however some school get as many as 11 or 12 GSCE's!

Does that even make sense?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 8:15 PM
My schedule for next year...

AP English Literature/Composition
AP Psychology
AP Physics
Algebra II
Newspaper
Sociology (one semester)/Photography (one semester)
U.S. History

I'm jealous that you have AP European History, FurryPanda... I really wanted to take it, but my school is going to stop offering it after this year . If only I was one year older...

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chonkers2
Wow, I guess the U.S system's a lot different to ours, eh?
In years 7,8 and 9 you have to study English Lit, English Lang, all Sciences, German or Spanish, French, Latin, RS, Design Tech, Food Tech, Textiles, Geography, Art, Drama, Maths...and then the compulsary P.E and Games. Then in Year 10 you choose what subjects you will do for GCSE (General Certificate of Standard Education) Including 1 Modern Lang, 1 humanities, 1 Art and then one free-choice(with English, Science and Maths compulsary). I chose French, History, Drama and Latin.
Then next year in 6th Form you have to choose 4 subjects with the extra options of Photography, Politics, Economics, Business Studies, Psycology, Law, 3D Design, Art History and some others i'm not quite sure of...for A-level. So i'm going with Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lang!
Of course this is just for my school, some differ slightly, overall we recieve 9 GCSE's (If we pass) of grades G-A* however some school get as many as 11 or 12 GSCE's!

Does that even make sense?

Wow. What time do you guys get out of school, 4:30? LOL

This is my (hopefully) next year's schedule:

AP Psychology
AP Lit
AP European History
Anatomy
Nutrition & Wellness

I've been trying to get into Nutrition & Wellness since I entered high school and I STILL haven't gotten the damn class. I will be in Home Ec. before I graduate!

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 11:25 PM
Our school system down here in Australia is pretty different.
In all years you do the core subjects (English, Maths, Science, SOSE), and then you have three electives, except for the first 2 years P.E is compulsory.
Year 7: Don't get any choice in their electives, except for the language you chose. Then you get given another elective along with P.E.
Year 8: You can drop the language and you get more of a choice with your electives though you still must do P.E.
Year 9: You get the choice of all three electives (while still doing the core subjects, of course), and P.E. is not compulsory for both Year 9 and 10 if you are doing a language.
Year 10: Essentially the same as Year 9, though there is the whole P.E. drama. You also get to decide on a specific SOSE class, and there are about 10 options to chose from.

Anyways, I haven't gotten my full schedule for next year, though I know 6/7 classes:

Electives:
Photography
Japanese
Cooking

Core Subjects:
Maths (Level 1)*
English (Unicorn)*
Science (Unicorn)*
SOSE - Current World Issues/Legal Studies (One semester each)

*At my school, the core subject classes you are put in are decided by your level of achievement in that class. Level 3 is the lowest, Level 2 is medium, Level 1 is very good, and Unicorn is the highest achievers in each of those subjects.
#11 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 11:44 PM
Well I'll be entering university next year and I'm really hoping for McMaster University in Ontario (where I live). I've even picked out my classesfor first year XD I want to major in history and eventually teach history at the high school level.

1) Introduction to the History of Art
2) Myth and Literature: The Trojan War and Beyond
3) Literature in English: Longer Genres
4) Europe from the Renaissance to the French Revolution
5) Europe from the French Revolution to the End of the Second World War
6) The Americas and the World
7) Global History in the 20th Century
8) History of Greece and Rome
9) Introduction to the Study of War
10) Problems of Philosophy
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 11:52 PM
Oh fway!
You poor college soul, having to get up at seven three times a week!
Every high school student waking up at six and before weeps for you!
</sarcasm>

But at least you have classes you like! That's awesome, and is Water Color 1 what it sounds like?

Also, to the British and Australians (is Brit or Aussie a derogatory term, or are they just short hand? My American friends tell me all sorts of different things.) your system is really different than ours. Schools are at the state level, and I can't speak for the rest of the country (heck I can't speak for more than my county) but we just have to meet our graduation requirements which is a certain number of credits in certain areas (4 English credits, 2 foreign language credits, 1 Gym credit, .5 health credits, 3 science credits, 3 math credits, and some others which I am too lazy to look up) and the rest of your schedule (you get 8 credits a year for four years) is yours to do with as you wish. So in theory you can get your graduation requirements out of they way sophomore or junior year and then spend the rest of your time in high school in gym and the arts.

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 12:02 AM
The way it works in my state is that you have required credits - 4 English, 3 foreign language, some math, fine arts, etc. - but you can't finish early and have fun. You're required to have a math and an English every year, for example.

Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
Oh fway!
</sarcasm>

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Panda
Oh fway!
</sarcasm>

I still have to get up early, because I stupidly decided to ask for morning hours at work. Except on the weekends and on days I have class. So there. :p

Instructor
#15 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 11:39 AM
Unlike some of you here, I don't get to choose my subjects.

Next Year:

Physics
Advanced Algebra
English IV
Filipino IV
Economics
Research
PE
Music
Ethics II
Elective: Japanese, Mandarin or Spanish (depends on how many people reserve early on)
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 9:34 PM
Well I don't know what my classes are for next year, and I haven't thought of the courses I want to take yet so I'll just post my new classes for next semester instead.

1. French II
2. Economics (honors
3. Creative Writng
4. Speech I

Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
Wow. What time do you guys get out of school, 4:30? LOL

This is my (hopefully) next year's schedule:

AP Psychology
AP Lit
AP European History
Anatomy
Nutrition & Wellness

I've been trying to get into Nutrition & Wellness since I entered high school and I STILL haven't gotten the damn class. I will be in Home Ec. before I graduate!

I get the joke, but sadly it's near the truth, school starts promptly at 8:30 and finishes at 4. Fun!
But we do get about 15/16 weeks off a year aswell
Whats this whole AP things about?

PS: Nahh you can call us Brits-just shorthand really, as long as you don't make out that we're posh, stuck-up people who talk like the Queen we really don't)
x
Mad Poster
#18 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 10:14 PM
Wow...8:30 to 4. That must suck.
We only go from 8:58 - 3:15 (my school is pretty whacked out when it comes to exact times). Though, when I did go to school in Japan it was 8:00 - 3:30, which was pretty bad because I was 8 at the time...
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chonkers2
I get the joke, but sadly it's near the truth, school starts promptly at 8:30 and finishes at 4. Fun!
But we do get about 15/16 weeks off a year aswell
Whats this whole AP things about?

PS: Nahh you can call us Brits-just shorthand really, as long as you don't make out that we're posh, stuck-up people who talk like the Queen we really don't)
x

I feel for your poor soul. LOL We go in from 7:45-2:40. We used to get out at 2:30, but for some blasted reason, the school board thought we needed 10 extra minutes in school.

AP stand for Advanced Placement. It's classes for kids who like a challenge and at the end, we take that class's AP test. The test is graded from 1 to 5. If you get a 3 or above, it's transfered as a college credit. If you get a 1 or 2, it's just counted as a high school credit but it still looks good on your transcript. Like I'm taking AP Language and Composition right now and if I get a 3 or above on the AP Lang/Comp Test, I won't have to take the required first English class when I become a college freshman. Here's the link to the website:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student...g/ap/about.html

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
#20 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 6:07 PM
@ PuX - Yeah, my school goes from 8:00-3:00 D:

Well, to be on topic, I have a choice to take on the full IB Diploma next year, which is this epicly difficult European 2-year system of higher level education. It's often regarded as the hardest HS curriculum, but the USA doesn't normally think of it as highly as AP [though it's harder].

Seeing as I want to go to school in America, I probably won't go full IB. In which case, I would take some IB classes and some AP. My courses would probably be:

Higher Level IB English
Standard Level IB Physics
Standard Level IB Theater
Pre-Calculus [which goes to AP Calculus senior year]
AP US History
AP Spanish
Photography

but if I did do full IB, I'd have to pick 3 SLs and 3 HLs, and my schedule would be:

HL IB English
HL IB Spanish
HL IB History
SL IB Math
SL IB Physics
SL IB Spanish
Theory of Knowlege [special for IB]

but the IB diploma also requires tons of service hours and an extended essay. D:
Mad Poster
#21 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 11:09 PM
Ohh, you're doing the IB?
I will probably do that seeing as I want to go to University in America as well, but, to be honest, I'm kind of scared. I have friends who have done it and they say it's incredibly difficult, but hopefully I'll be able to cope.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 6:33 PM
well I don't have my complete schedule for next year but I do know two classes I'll be taking.

1. Physical Science (It's actually a recommendation from my Biology teacher, average 11th grade science is Chemistry. Has anyone had Physical Science? Is it hard?)

2. English III Honors

Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 6:52 PM
My semester switched today (though we had a snow day, yay!) and all of my classes this year are A/B day, since I'm in Honors/AP, everyone else is blocked and gets a complete switch, but I'm taking gym and drama I for the next semester.

Both of those will suck since I am a total nonathlete and I passionately hate the drama teacher.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 8:17 PM
My new schedule... 'cause I changed it.

AP English Literature/Composition
AP U.S. History
AP Psychology
Algebra II
Honors Physics
Newspaper
Ceramics/Sociology (each one semester)

I normally avoid art classes (I think they're a waste of time), but I need two fine arts credits and can eliminate them with Ceramics. I'm excited to learn to throw pottery, at least.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
#25 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 9:51 PM
Well:

Mandatory Subjects:

Math (Advanced, for me.), Humanities Advanced(for me, again.), P.E, Health, Studies of Society and the Environment, Science, some random class where you have to take care of a stupid doll and Computing.

Optionals:
Music, Introductory Audio Design and Food Studies.

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.

Page 1 of 4