Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Dec 2020 at 3:44 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default aside from the game: problem with chrome, Win 10, and .rar files
Suddenly when using Chrome but not Firefox my Windows 10 computer thinks I have no "app associated with this action" when I try to download .rar files(but not other compressed files) from anywhere. The error message suggests associating an app with the action or downloading a new app to do it. The quick fix has been to use Firefox, which does not produce the error (thus making it a lie that there is no app associated with the action), but since Chrome is my preferred and painstakingly configured browser that has meant discovering a file is a .rar, copying the URL to the Firefox search bar, and downloading from there.

(yes, I know this section is really for gameplay related problems, but since mods are an important part of my gameplay, this issue falls under the broader definition to me)

What I've done: scoured the Settings on both Chrome and Windows 10 looking for a place to add the association back to Chrome (which has always performed this action just fine in the past on every other computer I've used it on, including a different Windows 10 computer), with no result (if there is a place for associating Chrome with downloading .rar files, I have just plain missed it, but I have looked for it): and I have tried several different web searches, including at Microsoft and Chrome help pages-if the information I want is out there, again, I have failed to find it.

Simple version of this question: how do I re-associate the Chrome browser with the action of downloading .rar files?