Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 9:18 PM
Default Well, I never thought I'd find a use for that!
Picture thread to showcase how you've used Maxis/EA items that you had originally thought "WTAF? How and why would I ever want to use this?"

Please no default replacements or CC, although of course you can use CC in conjunction with your EAxis fug item in order to make it look better, or just because.

Here's my submission: The totally random "mracer" outfit. Suits my Supernatural legacy founder Disaster Darwin extremely well (She is actually now one of my favourite sims ever.)

Screenshots

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:14 PM Last edited by maxon : 24th Feb 2015 at 5:40 PM.
Excellent choice and excellent sim - I shall have a think about this challenge. Someone in the other thread mentioned that leapard skin coat and all I can think about atm is streetwalkers (I mean c'mon).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Excellent choice and excellent sim - I shall have a think about this challenge. Someone in the other thread mentioned that leapard skin coat and all I can think about atm is srteetwalkers (I mean c'mon).
My grandmother had a leopard print (not real skin) coat. It was her favorite coat. I think it lifted her spirits - when she wore it, she put on her lipstick and seemed happy. She may have been a streetwalker but I don't think so...I think of that coat now as something that could be precious to someone who didn't have much of anything else, so there's a thought.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 6:48 PM
Well, people in the past wore fur more than I think most westerners do today (except Russians but I guess you could say they're not exactly westerners and Russia's bloody cold in the winter). Today, is it seen as a bit tacky? For your gran, not so much, though and anyway it was a printed fur. I have to say I prefer to see Leopards wearing the coat but I guess a lot of people would agree with that nowadays. Whatever, still not seeing past the fur atm. I need to browse Bodyshop. I did use the pirate outfit for a picture for Polgannon - does that count?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 8:55 PM
I'm certain the dress is a leopard print rather than a fur! Leopard print appears in stores quite often, despite a universal perception of it as slightly sleazy and very tacky indeed. Some people wear it ironically or as a joke (I actually know someone with a Romance aspiration who wears leopard print briefs as a happy declaration of his aspiration). A woman who clearly did not want a job at all once came to an office where I worked to fill out an application (presumably because it was required by some program she was in) dressed in leopard print as part of a holistic approach to ensuring that she didn't get hired. She also behaved with ostentatious stupidity and chewed gum with her mouth open - it was quite a bravura performance.

I save things like that for characters like Bad News Bev.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 9:23 PM
Indeed (I might pinch that one).

Theorist
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 11:52 PM
One of my sims in my Gilbert-and-Sullivan-themed challenge is named Old Adam Shankel, and he embraced Victorianism in a big way when he was still very young indeed. This made him the perfect sim to wear that awful brown houndstooth three-piece suit that came with the base game:

When he became an Elder, the smoking jacket with the pale tie might have been programmed into the game just for him:

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 12:04 AM
I always thought those clothes suited Old Adam very well.

As for the leopard print I have only ever used the leopard print undies and bedspread for romance sims. To me it says 'Tacky streetwalker'.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 2:48 PM
I have a townie in Elsewhere who uses those god awful male shorts. They actually look nice on him! When I track him down, I'll post a photo

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 4:58 PM
No only original maxis textures. The idea is to find something so WTF that for years and years you have avoided it, and to see it in a totally new light.

Theorist
#12 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 6:34 PM
This outfit finally became useful when this sim developed swollen feet.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Theorist
#13 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
This outfit finally became useful when this sim developed swollen feet.

Is that a Maxis/EA outfit? Can't say that I've ever seen it before and those shoes, maybe that's why I missed it. I hurried to get past them :p
Theorist
#14 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 10:19 PM
No, that's not a Maxis outfit. It is pretty weird, but it's not Maxis.

@PlatinumPlumbbob You have the right definition of both "streetwalker" and "hooker." Incidentally, the story goes that "hooker" comes from (American) Civil War general Joseph Hooker, who figured that if his soldiers were going to patronize those kind of womenanyway, he might as well be organized about it, so he hired a bunch of prostitutes to travel with his army. They worked in a special part of the camp, and that way he could be sure the men didn't leave camp, were relatively disease-free, and didn't get robbed by random pimps or bad elements. The women were referred to as "Hooker's Girls," which was later shortened to just "hookers."

Field Researcher
#15 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 12:10 AM
I actually do very occasionally have Sims who wear the leopard fur... thing. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures but one Sim I remember being a fortune Sim with a secondary in romance. She married a rich old guy but kept cheating on him with several men and women. Think Dina Caliente, but even worse.

I'm not a fan of the fringed bob hairstyle that comes in the base game, as it seldom seems to suit Sims' faces. But it looked quite good on Sandra Roth, and as I don't have many Sims using that (unlike some other Maxis hairstyles, that have 10+ Sims in my Megahood wearing them) I decided to give her that. Surprisingly, I don't hate it! Even though Sandra is not the prettiest of Sims.
(And before you feel too bad for the poor girl wearing a tank top in snow, it was actually summer, but due to the season just being changed in settings, the snow hasn't disappeared yet )
Screenshots
Theorist
#16 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 12:17 AM
Aw, Sandra's not bad-looking at all! And you're right: that hairstyle does suit her.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 4:13 PM
Ugly Maxis sun with cheap Maxis lightbulb. Miss Sinclair from Widespot loves her new bathroom.

[
Mad Poster
#18 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 11:00 PM
Necromancy, much?

Anyhow, I saw the first post, and thought "but that's the only use for that outfit". I often used those motorbike outfits for my alien sims. They look a bit techno, and a little bit space-y, so they're perfect for that use. I don't think I've ever used them for anything else.
Instructor
#19 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 4:15 PM
I made these "unusual" outfits, and now I think they are good, but I did not do such thing before, especially with these headgear:
Interesting

This is an useful combination in the blizzard, I have not thought about this before

This turban can also be fitting for many clothing
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Aug 2019 at 7:40 PM
Default oh yea...
Those awful plaid shorts? I let my total dork teens and adults wear them, but still hate them for elders. And all that crop top, bare midriff, too short shirts, animal print stuff? Yea, hooker's girls (I think his plan was very reasonable, would like to see working legalized today). And just your average teen would wear that "scandalous" stuff. Would even like to see tank tops. AND, for my retro hoods, something my own mother prized - minks, complete with heads, tails and little pathetic legs, sewn about 4 across, to make a shoulder wrap. I was horrified even as a child. My rich lady Sims wear the Maxis "fur", but I think of them as imitation.
Would send pics...but can't.

If my toddler dress themselves in hats, I will even alter their personalities to be very Neat, shy, and maybe serious (my version of prissy)

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
#21 Old 29th Aug 2019 at 10:20 PM Last edited by Simicka : 29th Aug 2019 at 10:41 PM.
Diver suit, ninja mask and ofb glasses for a nice apocalyptic outerwear
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Aug 2019 at 11:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Aug 2019 at 1:04 AM.
First and only time I've found a use for the diving helmet... (probably also the space suit).

(as a bonus I've only ever used that particular backdrop for this preview, even though I really like the texures)