Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 7:33 PM
Default Sub-Neighborhood progression: Feature, Glitch, or what?
So I decided that I really wanted to play the Sims 3 without any Storyprogression, and with TS2 Aging on using awesomemod. I did this because I actually wanted to cycle a clean Sunset Valley so that I can develop all of the Sims in the town in one save game. However, I also want the other neighborhoods to be under my control as well, but it doesn't seem to be working that way. When I had my Sim go to University, a huge portion of the other college students became supernaturals, which I didn't mind because I didn't know they were supposed to be human beforehand anyway. (Never played it before!) Then I noticed the game generating a few Sims and adding them into the townie households. Not great, but I can't complain too much.. Then came the celebrity points, which was rather annoying because I only like having certain Sims be celebrities. Now my Sim just got a notification saying that one of my Sims' college friends is about to die. That was the final straw.

Why is Storyprogression still on in my subhood? I checked, and it says it's off when my Sims go to the University. Also, why are my Sims aging? I didn't even think the Sims at the University could age. If I'm going to cycle with TS2 aging, the University is going to run much faster than my base neighborhood, which many wouldn't think would be a problem because they like townie aging, but I don't. It means that the neighborhood is going to be full of game generated Sims with no fashion sense that I am going to have to continuously fix because I'm OCD. Not to mention the fact that game generated Sims have no social group influences, and I can't give it to them using MC.

Is this supposed to be the case? Does Storyprogression get to run in subhoods even if I have turned it off in the base neighborhood? Or is it a glitch I need to fix or something? Thanks!
Also, is a thread like this allowed in this forum? Or is it supposed to go into the help section? Moderators can move it if it's supposed to go to the help section!

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 4:28 AM
Traveller has the option to stop the aging of foreign sims.
Quote:
Ageless Foreign Sims NEW
Specifies which foreign worlds should not age when you are playing the homeworld
Default: <None>

By default travel destination sims age when you visit them again, to keep up with hood aging. This setting, might or might also work on uni students.

I've also had supernatural sims in my uni town. Maybe it's a glitch, not sure.
I've only played uni with one sim to test it out so I don't know much about it, normally I just use the uni at home option from twallan's career. It's an option if you can't get uni to work the way you want.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 4:56 AM
So, there's a certain tuning file that tells the game to always simulate "academic" story progression when you arrive at Uni if it's been 'x' days since your last visit. Now, I'm not sure what academic story progression is, but from looking around the other files, it wouldn't surprise if it was just telling the game to run story progression for the Uni world. As it turns out, Uni SP has a lot similarities to the one for regular worlds, including the chance to change to celebrity and occult status, or cause immigration and emigration. When/How did you find out sims were being messed with, and was it all at once? If it was, this *might* explain that. Though I could be wrong, and I've been meaning to create a mod to test if I'm right or not...but I just haven't sent any sims to Uni in the meantime.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 7:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_

By default travel destination sims age when you visit them again, to keep up with hood aging. This setting, might or might also work on uni students.

I've also had supernatural sims in my uni town. Maybe it's a glitch, not sure.
I've only played uni with one sim to test it out so I don't know much about it, normally I just use the uni at home option from twallan's career. It's an option if you can't get uni to work the way you want.

So what's the best way to stop Story Progression and Aging completely? I unchecked Story Progression in game and also set NRAAS' Story Progression mod to "disable Story Progression", disable pregnancy, break up, marriage, moving too (Romance, non-risky woohoo, career they can do whatever).

That would be enough to stop Progression and Aging? I want my world basically standing still in term of household development: no new baby, no moving in/out, nobody dying or aging up without my deliberate consent. Haha, I may sound like a control freak, but I do have a household that mimics MY real life household with myself and immediate family members. While playing other household, once in a while I get a notification that "Tomomi is woohooing with John Doe at some public place".... or worse, "Tomomi is fed up at the house and decides to break up with .... and move out ..." ... seriously? It's such a bad omen.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Spamaccount
So, there's a certain tuning file that tells the game to always simulate "academic" story progression when you arrive at Uni if it's been 'x' days since your last visit. [...] When/How did you find out sims were being messed with, and was it all at once?

I simply noticed it when I was playing the neighborhood, it wasn't all at once as far as I'm aware, but I have played 7 weeks worth of college life in the neighborhood, with two different households, so your theory could make sense. It might have changed when entering the neighborhood.

Quote: Originally posted by ani_

Very useful, thank you! I'll put this in the next time I play, for sure!
I wonder why I got a notification that my Sims' old professor was going to die soon when she was on her home world, then! I wouldn't see why the default settings would have changed! Unless the Sims that my Sim knows ages, which would make sense.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!