Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 2:15 PM
Default How can I add more names to the game?
Hi everybody! I've seen there's a mod to add more french names to the sims, since I speak spanish I'd like to add more spanish names (and also some english / other languages names to have "international sims") to the game.
Is there a way to do it or should I wait for a mod developed by someone that speaks spanish?
The game has only like 30 names and keep repeting them and they're mostly old person names...

THANKS!!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 2:34 PM
I'd also like to know this.

I'm playing my Sims 4 in swedish as I had no other option when my Origin was set to swedish during the installation, and every now and then I discover generated sims bearing my IRL last name, a pretty uncommon name, too... But it's obviously not uncommon in The Sims.

I end up killing everyone sharing my last name since I find them ridiculous.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 3:19 PM
AFAIK, there isn't any mod like that (yet!) but somebody made a version for Russian and they also included a mod to force all languages to use the English name pool. Which (I have no idea) has a hefty 1080 male names, 1078 female and 3000+ surnames.
http://endless-laziness.tumblr.com/...localisation-is
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 3:26 PM
I think we'll have to wait or use english names...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 3:37 PM
It's not a mod, but you couldn't you use the cas.fulleditmode cheat to change the names of individual Sims generated by the game?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:12 PM
I don't really mind the language so I'll probably use the mod above. It was really ridiculous.
One of my sim girls brought back from school a boy with the same name as her brother, very confusing since the game doesn't always tell you surnames.
And the name randomizer in CAS was completely useless as it kept showing the same ten or so names.
I should probably re install it in english though as there are a few things I'm almost sure are lost in translation.

In the italian translation of The Sims and The Sims 2 there was a pre made family with my same last name. I'd like to know how they pick them, but it wasn't in the last two games.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:33 PM
You find Spanish names right here at ModTheSims.

Downloads >Game Mods >Miscellaneous - OtherMods that don't fit in any other category.

"More Spanish names" made by KantabronSPAIN
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 12:55 AM
Moving to Modding Discussion since the OP is asking about “a way to do it” -- I interpret that as wanting to make your own mod; let me know if that’s not what you meant and I can move this to WCIF (Where Can I Find) instead.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 1:23 AM
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 1:27 AM
Note that some of the links in An_dz’ post linked above are not current any more: the XML and tdescs for 1.7.something are stickied here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/cat...cal-discussions and for extracting, scumbumbo posted a “Combined XML Extractor” utility in Tools since there were issues with velocitygrass’ tool after one of the recent patches.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Scholar
#11 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mimoliin
I'd also like to know this.

I'm playing my Sims 4 in swedish as I had no other option when my Origin was set to swedish during the installation, and every now and then I discover generated sims bearing my IRL last name, a pretty uncommon name, too... But it's obviously not uncommon in The Sims.

I end up killing everyone sharing my last name since I find them ridiculous.

To change to the english name table for townies you can easily do it yourself. Download the "More French names" mod and use s4pe to export the two instances to files.

This file is for townies:
DF_00000000_784760DD00959DFA%%+ITUN.tuning

Edit it in Notepad, Wordpad or Notepad++ and change the language line:

<U>
<T n="locale_string">sv-se</T>
<E n="language">SWEDISH</E>
</U>

<U>
<E n="language">ENGLISH</E>
</U>

To change to english names in CAS you must use the Sims4Data program by velocitygrass:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=531876
Open the other file with that tool:
S4_545AC67A_006CA304_7036FF3703847744%%+DATA.data

and change the language code :

locale_string:sv-se
language:0x000000000010

to this by double click the line and edit:
language:0x000000000000

This can of cource be done with other languages listed in the file

A guide in swedish and a file to download:
http://forums.thesims.com/sv_SE/dis...ska-namn#latest

In the townie file you can instead expand the name table for your language but in the CAS file it's more difficult.

When you are ready import the two files in s4pe and export to package. Put the package file in your mods folder. Remove the file to get back to the defaults.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 11:32 PM
Is there a specific reason the locale string doesn't need to be changed, or is that an oversight?

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 6:02 AM
And I also don't get why download the More French names but edit the Swedish lines instead of the French.
Scholar
#14 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by An_dz
And I also don't get why download the More French names but edit the Swedish lines instead of the French.

Why edit the French lines at all? All languages are in the same file and the games language code select the correct table. The "locale_string" sv-se is the installed swedish games language code.
By changing "language" to any other language will swop the name lists.

<U>
<E n="language">ENGLISH</E>
</U>

By downloading the More French names mod you don't need to look up the files as they are both already in that mod. Just a convenience.
The player I answered liked to have english names in a swedish game. Of cource you can cut and paste all english names to the swedish part of the file but it is simpler to just change the language code.

My guide is for the special case where you like to switch name tables but the same procedure with extracting and packaging can of cource be used to add more names to your own language.
Scholar
#15 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 1:38 PM Last edited by Morphar : 20th Jun 2015 at 2:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Is there a specific reason the locale string doesn't need to be changed, or is that an oversight?

It must not be changed. The "locale_string" is from the installed game and the "language" is the code for the language you like to swap to. In this case a swedish game will use the english name table:

locale_string:sv-se
language:0x000000000000

Edit:
In the .tuning file it seems the language codes has been renumbered compared to the STBL codes.

Here are the decimal numbers for each language.

<L n="_elements">
<T ev="1">CHINESE_TRADITIONAL</T>
<T ev="2">JAPANESE</T>
<T ev="3">KOREAN</T>
<T ev="4">CZECH</T>
<T ev="5">DANISH</T>
<T ev="6">DUTCH</T>
<T ev="7">GERMAN</T>
<T ev="8">FINNISH</T>
<T ev="9">FRENCH</T>
<T ev="10">ITALIAN</T>
<T ev="11">NORWEGIAN</T>
<T ev="12">POLISH</T>
<T ev="13">PORTUGUESE_BRAZILIAN</T>
<T ev="14">RUSSIAN</T>
<T ev="15">SPANISH</T>
<T ev="16">SWEDISH</T>

The language code is in hexadecimal so:
14 is 0x00000000000E
15 is 0x00000000000F
16 is 0x000000000010
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 12:07 AM
@Morphar
Now I get it, the user wanted English names and you pointed a way to do so without the need for the user to create the file.

On first read I thought you meant to have the French names from the French mod.