Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 12:22 PM Last edited by Aureelien : 20th Aug 2015 at 6:08 PM.
Game music: Decode .sns file build mode music / CAS
Hello everyone. First of all, sorry for my English, I am French.
So here now, I'm taking the music of the game directly from the files located in "The Sims 4 / Data / FullBuild0" and these files are .sns, file that I can decode normally with "ealayer3. exe ". Except that CAS music files and the build mode are different. In the game, the music changes depending on the menu where you are, there are 8 variants of music for a single music. (variants for the instruments back, for example, the first variant contains only a violin that plays when the last is the whole orchestra playing). So when I decodes the file .sns construction mode or CAS, the latter converts only one variant: the first! The other 7 are not converted. I noticed that the .sns file is 23 MB while the .mp3 of the first variant is only 3 MB, 7 other variants are well .sns present in the file but are not decoded. Are you able yet to follow?
I think I found where it comes from: The .sns the build mode / CAS is a container of several .sns files (8 variants so) and that at the time of decoding, there is only one variant (only 1 .sns inside) that is decoded. So I wondered if it was possible to decode every music with something else, like FFmpeg, for example, but I do not know to use FFmpeg ... I was wondering if there was any way to convert .sns this container and all its little .sns in readable format in Windows ?? (.mp3 example).
Thank you in advance to those who will help me and sorry my english yet.

I join you here an example of .sns container file is actually a music contruction mode.
https://mega.nz/#!PQ1QlAwS!nji1BRnZyuJEDFPIwuF1o_PS6Vry1FTxfGc_XJ6RRg0
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 4:41 PM
Just a quick note, MP3 files are lossy, they are compressed and you loose sound quality. I recommend a lossless file type, like FLAC, or other lossless sound files, but these files are big in size.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 1:35 PM
i know this ^^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 11:52 AM
Yes ! I've found !
It was enough just to type this in run command :
ealayer3 -s -o <file name .sns>
And it decodes the 8 versions!
I'm verry happy
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 2:24 PM
Thanks for getting back! =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Sep 2015 at 4:07 PM Last edited by VikingStormtrooper : 15th Sep 2015 at 9:37 AM.
Hi guys!
I have recently read an old thread (2010) about TS3 .snr and .sns audio decoding. I do not have TS3, but I have experienced that what is written in this thread is still valid in TS4 also for .snr files. Using the same procedure you have shown here, thanks to ealayer3 the .snr files extracted from ClientFullBuild1.package using S4PE can be converted directly into .wav or .mp3 format, making it possible for us to open them using common media players, e.g. Windows Media Player. I write this because I have not found references to audio decoding for TS4 anywhere apart from this thread, and I hope that my experience can be useful
One more thing: the first time I opened ealayer3.exe, the command window immediately closed, making it impossible for me to write commands. I succeeded in making it work in this way: I created a link to the .exe on the Desktop, then I right-clicked it, I selected "Properties", then "Link", and finally I added the string "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K " before the file path in "Target location". This prevented the command window from closing automatically.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2016 at 12:29 PM
@VikingStormtrooper

Thanks for the note about ealayer3! I've been encountering the same issues where it closes immediately after I try to open it.

Just a few things to clarify- I would add the string under "Target", right?

And it would look like this?

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K ealayer3.exe file location

I tried it with the quotation marks and it didn't let me continue.

Thanks!
Test Subject
#8 Old 14th May 2016 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
@VikingStormtrooper
Thanks for the note about ealayer3! I've been encountering the same issues where it closes immediately after I try to open it.
Just a few things to clarify- I would add the string under "Target", right?
And it would look like this?
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K ealayer3.exe file location
I tried it with the quotation marks and it didn't let me continue.
Thanks!

You're welcome! :D

Yes, you have to add that string before the actual path of the .exe file, but still keeping the inverted commas, and a blank space in between; I'll show you an example, because I understand how unclear I am :

Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K "F:\User\The Sims 4\Audio decoder\ealayer3.exe"

Basically, the string before the inverted commas means 'dear Windows, please take the cmd.exe application (Prompt) and order that application not to close its own window!'; the string in the inverted commas, instead, is the file path of the ealayer3.exe application, which depends on the location where you chose to put the file itself. Combined in this way, the two strings make you do what you want! This is an old trick that I learned some years ago during my bachelor, in the course of Computer Science for Aerospace Engineers; we were asked to make simple applications in C, which requires the Prompt window to work, and the first question the professor was always asked for was 'how the hell do I keep that window open?!?'

Videogames are nice. Modded videogames are awesome!
Scholar
#9 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 3:44 AM
Anyone been yet successful re-encoding .snr or .sns files for own custom sounds?

We can add custom video/audio but never just audio alone, and anyone want know where I can find that short tune, everytime you start a new household?

I literally got billions of SNR's and SNS files extracted to decode and find, and it could be anywhere.
Scholar
#10 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 6:59 AM
Can't believe I just found it, located in ClientDeltaBuild5, filename - S4_01A527DB_001407EC_5E770A76D6AC5621%%+_AUD.snr - size 210776 bytes - Length - 9 seconds.

This is the annoying start family music, I either try to change it, or at least Mute it, this could be possible by just replacing at existing .snr file with a more quieter one, any custom attempts have given me nothing but crashes to desktop. At least this is only 1 stream.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 11:47 AM
@Arsil detailed the whole process of encoding and adding in sound and music files in this thread of mine.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Anyone been yet successful re-encoding .snr or .sns files for own custom sounds?

We can add custom video/audio but never just audio alone, and anyone want know where I can find that short tune, everytime you start a new household?

I literally got billions of SNR's and SNS files extracted to decode and find, and it could be anywhere.

Hi, did you manage to figure out how to encode to sns/snr file? Im prying to get my soundtrack in, Im tired of running it separately in the bg