Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 6:44 PM
Are you keeping the Asian and Egyptian and French themes or just using those maps as starting points? If a French theme are there skyscrapers anywhere in France? I am pretty sure there are none in Paris and Paris has a height limit. If you use the same shells in all the worlds they will look somewhat the same as there is a limited selection of shells available?

TBH, I don't think we really understand what you are trying to do, not that we need to. But if you want input.....?

Do you have any completed worlds we can look at or close to completion?
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 7:37 PM
I haven't completed any worlds but I played a lot with CAW and SuperCAW so I'm quite confident and pretty sure of what I do. Basically, I want to make a big city with suburbans that are themed. For example, a french suburban that has french building architecture. The Downtown may have skyscrapers. Also, Country-Side will be there, it depends on how big the city is and if city is taking a lot of space, I can consider making the country-side on another map.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 8:16 PM
Mad Poster
#29 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I am pretty sure there are none in Paris and Paris has a height limit.

If a French theme are there skyscrapers anywhere in France?

Sorry - couldn't help myself.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#30 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 9:20 PM
Lol that's okay.
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 9:41 PM
I had interconnected worlds project myself. Finished only 1 (with few lots left unfinished) and the other one without lots at all, just terrain, effects and flora. I planned 6 geograpically/lore connected worlds. I never had the time to finish them. If I ever asked people to help, I'm sure it would have been tho. I still have the plan, location and general look of the worlds. It's just that it is my vision and I would like to make every detail by myself (I'm a perfectionsit). But the fact is, you can't get anything done alone. I have HEAPS of unfinished worlds. I actually never finished a single one. I have two that are completeld around 80% and that's about it.

But now that I see how many talented people and people willing to help there is, and that someone has similar ideas as well, I might return to it and ask for help... when I have free time that is. It's a nice (but extremely big) project of a simple oceanic moon of a distant gas giant planet. Inspired by Uranesia's attempt at alien civilisation but with lore, colonisation, unusual alien races and sim genetics, politics and native tribe surpression. Dang, I wish I had same imagination I did few years back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 10:17 PM
Just made some artworks for the project.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#33 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 12:27 AM
Just advanced !
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#34 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Sorry - couldn't help myself.

Well dang! I watch House Hunters International all the time and the broker said that the available residences there were so few due to not being able to expand and/with the height limits. I should have checked before posting. So why in the heck she said that, who knows? Beautiful pics. I will now not trust anything she says! LOL

Mixa, your world sounds wonderful. Hope you go back to it. I have 2 worlds about 90% done and what was I working on all last night? Redoing one by someone else in CAW and adding lots to totally rebuild the place.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#35 Old 27th Jun 2018 at 6:03 AM
Shh... Don't go off-topic.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#37 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 12:29 AM
Sneak peak #1
Screenshots
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#38 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 12:50 AM
Well dang! I watch House Hunters International all the time and the broker said that the available residences there were so few due to not being able to expand and/with the height limits. I should have checked before posting. So why in the heck she said that, who knows? Beautiful pics. I will now not trust anything she says! LOL

Mixa, your world sounds wonderful. Hope you go back to it. I have 2 worlds about 90% done and what was I working on all last night? Redoing one by someone else in CAW and adding lots to totally rebuild the place.
At the risk of being shushed, too, the height limit might apply to certain quarters; plus none of these skyscrapers reach the heights that might enable them to scrape the sky. I'd rather call them high-rises.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 1:21 AM
shushes Don
....but since we're on the topic, one widely agreed upon treshold for what is and isn't considered a skyscraper is 150 meters. Or 500 feet, if you will. So I think Paris has about 19 of those.
Assuming a minimum of 150 meters and 40 floors, another one that gets named a lot, here's an (outdated) map of how many skyscrapers each European country has.
So by all means, let's dispel the notion that European maps shouldn't have high-density buildings.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#40 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 1:26 AM
I'm back LIVE sweeties! Today, or more exactly tonight, I am showcasing you the project Sims 3 : Cities
https://twitch.tv/dawnshadow96
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#43 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 12:49 PM Last edited by Don Babilon : 28th Jun 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Building a skyscraper in a European city is usually a big deal. Most of these cities are old, if not ancient. So, one point is usually to preserve the old skyline and maintain the general coherence of the city centres (hence the height limits). Secondly, because these cities are so old, the likelihood of hitting ancient remains once you start digging is high and will halt any construction (which also means that the ground is often not stable enough for such a huge building - catacombs, cellars, old sewers, these places are full of these). Thirdly, once you have a wall of skyscrapers, the inner city air will become worse, because you basically cut off winds from one side, and here people do live in the city centres, and very much so. Fourth, environmental protection laws are pretty strict, so if you can't prove that your skyscraper meets them (energy efficiency, pollution) your project will die already in the planning state.

It's pretty telling, I think, that you will find most modern buildings and highrises either in emerging countries or cities that were almost completely destroyed during WWII, cities that don't have much that would have to be removed to make space (we still do love our traditions, you know). Or in authoritarian states that don't care about history as soon as an investor offers to pay.

Calling that underdeveloped is actually a bit insulting, especially since some of the world's best building engineers for skyscrapers are located in Europe, they just don't have a lot to do in their home countries and build in Chicago, Shanghai or Beijing instead. And I think that compared to other "developed" countries our infrastructure is terrific, once you shift your attention away from the lack of skyscrapers.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 12:56 PM
There's a great deal of resistance against new skyscraper construction, even in the cities that already have them. Both Rotterdam and Frankfurt seem to be full of people who want to maintain the city's "authentic" character or some crap like that, and what they usually mean is that they will fight with everything they've got to make sure that their view is blocked by 2 40-floor apartment towers, not 30.
But yeah, even in Rotterdam, which had a big gaping hole in the middle of it, no one thought to build anything remotely tall until about 1987. So then they tore down the local goat farm (conveniently located in the dead middle of the city's supposedly vibrant downtown) and built an ostentatious business district instead.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#45 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 1:53 PM
Yeah, every so often it turns out that the principles on which we've been building cities for the past several decades don't actually work. Either we found out that having dark spots and corners no one can overlook is a perfect recipe for crime, or we find out that insulation material we've been using in all our buildings causes cancer, or we find out that not everyone wants to have to rely on a car to get places....or maybe it just turns out to be really, really ugly and we have to tear it down because it's such an eyesore.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#46 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 3:18 PM
@nitromon If Wikipedia isn't a reliable source, then what is lol? I think people say that because 'it's better than nothing what we have close to the wikipedia, lol.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 3:18 PM
Wikipedia isn't a reliable source, but its sources sure as hell are. Ask any teacher.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#49 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 5:14 PM
Beautiful city. Where is that?
Mad Poster
#50 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 5:35 PM
Personally I think 40 floors is enormous. Anything over 10-15 is tall, anything over 30 is skyscraper-like. There's buildings over 100 floors nowadays, but all but a few of them are in places like Southeast Asia and the UAE. I can't imagine they're commercially viable; there has to be some factor of "fuck you, we're rich" in there. This happened in the US too, on occasion, but it never caught on.
America invented the skyscraper and was already building them en masse in the early 20th. We built a few smaller ones here and there but didn't commit to the idea till the 80s-90s, and in Asia they had a bit of an influx of wealth and are now building these comically oversized towers everywhere. I'm not yet convinced that they'll turn out to be a good idea in the long run. Because if they were, we'd be building them in this hemisphere.

insert signature here
Page 2 of 4