Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 6:09 PM Last edited by Avarici_SC : 29th Aug 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Default Girl Who Chases the Butterfly UPDATED

If you've ever been to Strangetown you know of my Father; His name was Pascal Curious. Yes, the Pascal Curious that was impregnated with alien spawn. If you're wondering whatever happened to the aforementioned spawn, that would be me. My name is Nova Curious.

My father named me after “the phenomenon of a white dwarf temporarily becoming extremely bright as a result of an explosion on its surface.” But that's not me, before my name was a definition it was just a name; A Native American name for 'little girl who chases the butterfly', I find it very fitting. Although the butterfly is easily the most overused metaphor of all time it applies to everyone. Metamorphosis, personal growth is something we've all experienced and can relate to.

Mine starts with a fire. Anyone living here in Strangetown knows about the fire that didn't take my life. No one knows exactly when it started, but by the time fire fighters arrived on the scene the entire house was engulfed in flames. My Father and Uncle Vidcund's bodies were found huddled together in the Bathroom, I'd rather not delve into the more saturnine details, but according to the police report I was found, unharmed, in my father's still smoldering remains.

My extended family members asked that the details be kept confidential. Naturally everyone knew the entire story by the end of the week, at least they all have their theories as to what really happened at 2 Cover Up Road that night. After the media had finished making a mockery of our tragedy the custody battle began. Nobody really wanted me, Chloe and Lola had just moved to Reno, Lazlo had just gotten married, and Jenny was too old to raise a baby. After the suggestion of simply putting my up for adoption Crystal, my aunt of three days, said she and Lazlo would take me. They formally adopted me and raised me as their own.

When, inevitably, I began to question my appearance they told me that everyone was different in some way and there was nothing wrong with me because we're all the same on the inside. I accepted this as fact until my first day of school when everyone seemed to be amazed and/or terrified by the fact that my skin was green. I never made any real friends, but nothing too traumatic happened until 2nd grade. That was when I met Susie Redwood. She and her band of miscreants tormented me from the moment I walked through the classroom door.

That was the first time I heard any rumors about the fire. Susie told the class that I started the fire and burned my family to death as a part of some insidious plan to take over the world. She knew it was true because she saw it on TV. That year I came home in tears every day. Things got only got worse and finally reached their climax when I came home with bubblegum covering the entire left side of my head. A few hours and a lot of peanut butter later my hair was gum free and Lazlo and Crystal decided home school was the only option.

I've been home schooled for the last 9 years but all that is about to change. Mom was offered her dream job and rather than be home schooled by someone else I decided to give the public education system a second chance. Of course my parents disapproved at first, but they have nothing to worry about. Teasing and bubble gum is kid stuff. I'm sure as High School students we can put aside our differences and get along like civilized adults.

Nova shut her diary, tucked it away amongst her favorite novels, and stopped by her sisters' rooms.
“Amber,” She called opening the first door she came to, “it's time for Breakfast!”
“Okay.” She moaned groggily sitting up in her bed and stretching.
“Bridgette?” She asked opening the second door and turning on the light. “You need to get up. I really don't want to be late today.”
“I'm up!” Came the irritated response from deep under the covers.

“No you're not. Come on Mom's making pancakes.” Bridgette moaned and rolled over.
“Bridgette,” she said in firm tone, “don't make me get dad.”
“OKAY!” Bridgette whined, kicked her legs a few times, and finally pulled the blanket off of her head. “Gosh Nova! Why do you have to be so obnoxious in the morning?” Rather than reply Nova rolled her eyes headed upstairs.

“Good Morning Nova.” Crystal called from the stove. “When did you get up?”
“Six O'clock sharp, as always.”
“Hmm, I guess it was a rather pointless question. How did you sleep?”
“Not so well.”
“Nervous?”
“No.” She replied a little too quickly.
Crystal turned around and raised her eyebrow.

“Okay so maybe I'm a little nervous.” She threw her hands up in exasperation. “It's a big school, what if I cant get to all my classes on time? You know I can't stand being late.”
“I'm sure you'll be just fine.”

“What's for breakfast?” Amber asked sitting down at the table. Nova quickly joined her.
“Pancakes, they're almost done. Nova will you get the plates? Amber . . .?”
“Silverware.” She called interrupting her mother's request. “I'm on it.”
Nova set a plate down in front of each chair and hurried back to her seat.
“How many do you want?” Crystal asked walking into the dining room with a large platter of pancakes.
“Two.”
“Just one for now.” Amber replied placing each fork carefully beside it's plate.
“Good Morning Sunshine.” Nova called cheerfully to her youngest sister.
Amber turned around just as her extremely disheveled twin held up three fingers.
“Three!?” Amber shouted. “Bridgette says she wants three Mom, but I don't think that's healthy.”

“If she wants three pancakes she can have three. Good Grief.” She set the appropriate number of cakes on each dish, set the platter on the counter behind her, and finally sat down. Glancing over at her youngest daughter she couldn't help but smile at her appearance.
“Did you go to bed with you hair wet?”
“No . . . ” She replied avoiding eye contact.
“Bridgette, If I have to comb through a tangled mess like that ever again it will be gone. Understand?”

“Yes.” She pouted.
“Sorry Ladies” Lazlo proclaimed as he rushed to his seat and began shoveling food in his mouth, “gotta run. Can't be late.”
“Good Morning to you too Honey. I'm just great, thanks for asking.”
“I love you Crys.” He mumbled through a mouthful of food as he leaned over and placed a quick, syrupy, kiss on her lips. “Have a great day.” He jumped up and ran for the door. “Good luck at School today girls. Let me know how it goes.”
“Bye dad!” The twins shouted together.
“We love you!” Nova added as the door slammed.

“I'm gonna go get dressed now.” Brigette said slowly sliding out of her chair.
“Oh no you don't! My bathroom. Now! Start brushing, I'll be there as soon as I'm done.”
“kay . . . ” She grumbled trudging toward her parents' room.
“I'm done mom. May I be excused?” Amber asked.
“Yes,” Crystal said waving her hand. She shoved the last of her breakfast into her mouth and hurried off. “If you need help with your hair ask Nova.”

“Don't worry.” Nova said to no one. “I'll do the dishes.” She stood, put the sticky dishes into a pile and carried them to the sink. As she rinsed each plate and loaded it into the dishwasher her mind began to wander.
I can't wait until I get my drivers license. I'll buy some cheap used car and never be late again.
Shoving the dishwasher door shut with her knee Nova glanced up at the clock and swore under her breath. At this rate I'll be lucky to get to school before lunch. This is ridiculous.
She ran down the stairs to check on Amber. She found her in the bathroom sitting on the toilet seat her hair a complete mess. She took her little sister's hand and stood her in front of the mirror.

“What do you want me to do with your hair.” Her smile instantly returned.
“Do that half side ponytail thing you did the other day! I really liked that.”
“I was just messing around. Are you sure you want to wear your hair like that to school?” She nodded resolutely.
“Okay. Half side ponytail thing it is.” In less that two minutes she was done.
“Get our backpacks and get in the car.” Nova hurried into Bridgette's room, yanked open her dresser and pulled out the first shirt, pair of pants, and hole free socks she saw. Dashing back into the bathroom she pulled a black elastic out of a bin under the sink and ran back up the stairs.

As she reached her parents bedroom she heard Bridgette's overly dramatic cries of pain.
“Mom,” Nova called rapidly approaching the bathroom, “we need to go just-”
“NOVA!” Bridgette screamed running out of the bathroom. “HELP ME!” She help up her arms as if expecting her savior to pick her up and whisk her away. Instead Nova kneeled down began tugging her pajamas.
“Sorry kid, I'm not here to save you. Strip.” Nova vigorously yanked the blue and white shirt up over her sister's head.
“OW! Geez, take it-” her statement was cut short by another garment being pulled over her head, quickly followed by a powerful tug on her pants. She fell and braced herself against the bed as Nova removed her slippers and shoved a pair of jeans on her legs.

“You can put your shoes and socks on in the car while I do your hair.” She snatched the brush out of her mother's hand and began pushing her sister out the door.
“Nova! At least let me zip up my pants!” She cried, trying to do so as she was forced out the door.
“You would have had plenty of time to zip if you had gone to bed and gotten up with the rest of us. Mom!” Nova shouted to Crystal who stood transfixed by the odd incident she was witnessing. “Lets GO!”
She was immediately snapped out of her trance. “Coming.”

Rici (me) says: Thanks for reading everyone! I know this chapter is annoyingly cheesy but I had to get the intro's and whatnot out of the way. The following chapters will be much more enjoyable, I promise! Also, if you find any spelling or grammar errors do tell!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 10:18 PM
I enjoyed it! Good introduction :-) I'm looking forward to the first update! :-D
#3 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 10:30 PM
Good start, more to come soon I hope!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 11:00 PM
It's a good start especially the Diary Entry

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
#5 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 1:41 AM
i love it!
i love scenes of family's getting ready in the morning
cant wait for more =]
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 11:27 AM
you have me hooked to this story already...i will be biting my nails till the next update!
Nova reminds me of me...lol...i am a time freak to LOL

my stories:
Something Lost
#7 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 12:00 PM
I'm really looking forward to reading the next update. Oh and you're intro wasn't cheesy it sucked me right in!:P
Field Researcher
#8 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 2:04 PM
Liked the start, love Nova's character. Can't wait for the next update.

Be true to yourself, only your opinion of yourself truly counts.

Darkie
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 5:24 AM Last edited by Avarici_SC : 1st Aug 2009 at 7:31 AM.
Default Chapter 2

Nova rushed through the front doors of the school and began looking around for her first class. She was quickly distracted by the extreme change of volume in the corridor. All conversations were now being whispered or had stopped all together. It was then she began to realize how many people were staring. She took a deep breath and hurried off to her first period.

She walked in and saw only a few other students, all of whom were sitting in the back. Wondering how they could possibly see anything from back there, she sat right in the middle of the front row. It wasn't long before more people began pouring into the room. Nova noticed that as each person entered the room they looked at her than promptly took an available seat as far from her as possible. She sighed and glared down at her desk. So much for acting like civilized adults.

Just as loud bell rang signaling the beginning of class a young woman came bustling in with large stack of papers.
“Sorry I'm a bit late. The faculty room was complete chaos this morning.” She set them down on her desk and surveyed the room. Nova noticed the woman look at her much longer than anyone else and straightened her posture.
“Okay. I'm gonna pass these out and then we'll begin our discussion.” Nova quickly read over the blue paper she had just received and then took out her notebook. She spent the rest of class writing down everything her teacher said.

All of her classes consisted of similar papers and discussions, but that didn't stop Nova from dutifully taking notes. By lunchtime her hand was slightly sore and she was more than ready for a break. Instead of pulling out her map she simply followed the large mass of students until they reached the lunch room. Finally making her way through the ridiculously slow line Nova grabbed the first plate of food and hurried to find a seat. She quickly noticed that none were available. With a sigh she trudged out into the hallway and found a quiet corner to eat in.

Two hours later school was over and Nova began walking home, feeling better with each inch she put between herself and the school. She walked in the door and set her things down.
“So,” her Father called from the couch, “how was your first day?”
“Dad? What are you doing home?” He shook his head.
“Bridgette's been suspended.”
“WHAT!? On the first day of school!? For what?”
“Fighting.” Lazlo said with a smile.
“Why are you smiling?”

“Well, the school called Mom first, then she called me saying we needed to come get Bridgette and attend an emergency meeting. So we get there and your mother, being the professional that she is, gets right down to business and wants to know what she's being suspended for. Now when Principal Roberts said fighting I was shocked, Mom though,” he shook his head, “She just turned to Bridgette and said 'Is that true?' Then Bridgette goes off on some tangent about how Ricky Hawkins was making fun of this girl named Krissi who walks funny. Bridgette told him to stop, he told her to shut up, she told him to make her, he grabbed her hair, and she punched him . . . right in the nose. The school nurse thinks it's broken. Bridgette's hand is pretty sore.”

“I still don't understand what you're smiling about.”
“Well then Crystal just says, 'You know that violence is never an acceptable way to solve a problem. I'm glad that you stood up for that girl, but next time find an adult. Though I certainly hope there won't be a next time.' Then she shoots Mrs. Roberts this glare, takes Bridgette's hand and walks out. It was great..”
“So what are you going to do?”
“We think 3 days at Aunt Jenny's house is more than enough punishment.” She nodded.

“So how was your day?” Nova thought back to the stares, whispers, and overall misery of her first day. She slapped on a fake smile and shrugged.
“Good, nothing too exciting. All my teachers just handed out disclosure documents and discussed the rules of the classroom.”
“Well that's good.”
“I have some reading to catch up on so I'll talk to you later.”
Nova hurried down the stairs and into her room. She collapsed on her bed and stared at the ceiling trying to forget her terrible day.

“Nova!” Amber called opening her door. “Wake up, it's time for dinner.”
Nova sat up and rubbed her eyes. “Okay.” She followed her sister up the stairs and sat down at the table.
“Are you feeling okay Honey?” Her mother asked.
“I'm fine.”
“Are you sure? Maybe we should take your temperature.”
“I'm fine Mom, it's just been a long day.”
“You think your day was long!” Amber shouted. “ I'll never be able to live this day down!”
“Amber.” Crystal said in a warning tone.

“Do you have any idea how hard it is to establish your individuality when you're an identical twin? After lunch all I heard was 'Hey aren't you Bridgette's twin sister?' 'Wow your sisters pretty cool.' 'Hi Bridgette's sister!'”
“Nobody said 'Hi Bridgette's sister.'” Bridgette said rolling her eyes.
“How would you know? You were in the principal's office!”
“Both of you knock it off!” Crystal shouted.
“But Mom!” Amber whined.
“Amber, we have already had this discussion twice! Drop it!”
“Dinner's almost ready!” Lazlo called from the stove, “and after dinner we're going shopping for school supplies. Do you need anything?”
Nova replied first. “Just a couple of notebooks, I don't really want to go.”
“But you love shopping for school supplies.”
“Well I just don't feel like it tonight.”
“Okay,” Crystal said crossing her arms, “what you aren't telling us?”

“Nothing!”
“Nova, don't lie to me. What's going on?”
“I said nothing! Just forget it!”
“Oh Shit!” Lazlo cried from the kitchen, everyone turned around to find the stove engulfed in flames. Nova began screaming, covered her head, and fell to the floor. Lazlo ran to the sink to grab the fire extinguisher and Crystal shoved her two youngest out of the room.

“STOP! STOP!” Nova shouted rocking back and forth on her knees.
“Nova!” Crystal shouted. “Nova calm down!”
“It's out!” Lazlo called.
“The fire's out Nova. Its okay.” Crystal took her daughter's hands and coaxed her out from under the table.
“I didn't do it, I didn't do it.” She cried.
“We know, it's okay Nova, calm down.”
“It wasn't me! I didn't start it!”
“I think I better take her to bed. Why don't you go calm the other two down.”
Lazlo nodded.

After helping Nova into her pajamas Crystal guided her over to the bed and placed a kiss on her forehead.
“I'm sorry Mom.” Nova mumbled wiping the tears from her face.
“You have nothing to be sorry for.”
“I really . . . ”
“Nova, it was an accident. Dad spilled some grease on the flame. That's it.”
“But if I hadn't . . . ”
“It had nothing to do with you, understand?” She nodded. “Okay, now just lay down, we'll save you some pizza in case you wake up.”
“Okay.”
“Good night Nova. I love you.”
“Night Mom, I love you too.”

Crystal turned off the light and shut the door. Nova sighed, closed her eyes, and pulled the covers up to her nose. She quickly opened her eyes when she heard her parents speaking in hushed voices just outside her door.
“ . . . all four burners, I've never seen one this bad. The gas company's coming over tonight to make sure every thing's okay. How's Nova?”
“She's fine, how are you?”
“Not burned amazingly enough. Just a bit startled, we haven't had a fire in a long time.”
“Do you . . .”
The conversation became inaudible as the two walked away. Nova sniffled a few times, rolled over and fell into a restless slumber.
#10 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 8:44 AM
Picture 8 seems sort of out of context... I didn't understand why she was in the bed when her father was still talking...then I understood by the end of the paragraph that she went upstairs to her bed...it confused me for a sec. You might want to rethink the place that it's in, maybe put it towards the end of the father's dialogue?

But other than that, I really feel bad for Nova =/ I hope she has a better day coming her way.
#11 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 9:09 AM
I really enjoyed this. I can't wait for future chapters. (:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 6:24 AM Last edited by Avarici_SC : 1st Aug 2009 at 5:22 PM.
Default Chapter 3

Sitting up in bed Nova pressed her hands against her throbbing head. She looked over at the clock and was horrified to see that is was 9:45. She jumped out of bed and ran to her wardrobe. Throwing on the outfit and accessories she's planned out weeks ago, Nova ran up the stairs.
“MOM!” She shouted. She grabbed her head once more. “Mom?” she called more softly this time.
“Nova?” Her dad called hurrying, half dressed, out of his room.
“Dad! I overslept. I have to get to school.”
“You're not going today.” He came over and placed his hand on her forehead.
“But I have to go, I'm sure we'll be starting the actual curriculum today.”
“Sorry, but you're staying home.”

“WHY!?” She closed her eyes and rubbed her temples.
“You never oversleep unless you're ill, and from the looks of it you have a pretty bad headache. Go back to bed. I'll bring you down breakfast and some aspirin.”
“I'm fine, and I don't have time for this. It's just a headache.”
“Bed.” He demanded pointing toward the stairs. He held this position until Nova obediently headed back to her room.

Jeez! I can't believe them! If Amber oversleeps she's just tired, if Bridgette oversleeps it's because she stayed up too late, but if I sleep in they act like I'm going to drop dead at any given moment! Granted I do feel like my head is going to explode. Nova sighed and flopped onto her bed. She rolled onto her back and stared at the blank white ceiling. Closing her eyes she tried to remember what could have caused the terrible throbbing of her brain. All I remember is Mom asking me if I was feeling well. I must have passed out again.

She was startled out of her thoughts by a sharp knocking on her door.
“Nova, I've got some aspirin for you.”
“Okay,” she sighed sitting up and opening the door, “I'm not really hungry.”
“I knew you would say that so I brought you a pop tart.” He smiled and set it down on her desk.
“Thanks Dad. I passed out last night didn't I?”
“Mhmm. Did you sleep at all.”
“Not very well. I think I was having a nightmare. All I can remember is people screaming.”

“Well then you get some rest after you eat okay?” She nodded.
“Sweet dreams. If you need me I'll be upstairs.”
“Okay.”
After forcing down half her “breakfast” she took her aspirin, changed back onto her pajamas and crawled into bed. Why did I have to get sick today? I've missed half of the school year so far, and now I'll never have perfect attendance. I don't even remember the last time I got sick. Stupid immune system! Unable to keep her eyes open any longer Nova rolled over and quickly surrendered to sleep.

Opening her eyes once more Nova immediately glanced at her clock. It was nearly three in the afternoon. Swallowing hard in an attempt to ease her dry throat, Nova sat up and headed for the kitchen. She stepped into the familiar room, grabbed a glass from the cupboard, and filled it with water. As she drank her eyes began to wander around the room; it didn't take her long to notice the new stove. Nearly choking on her water she stepped closer to examine it more thoroughly.

When did we get a new stove? She wondered. Ooooh! Fancy! Nova smiled as she ran her fingers over the shiny new appliance. Looking at the wall behind it she laughed. There's a line where the old stove was. Wow, that's a big color difference. I wonder what these marks are from. She leaned closer and ran her hand along the dark lines. She quickly withdrew her hand as images of the previous night flashed through her mind. Dropping her glass Nova slowly backed away from the stove.
“Fire?” She asked, still staring at the large white oven. “Why didn't they tell me? Why don't I remember?”

The front door slammed open causing her to jump and let out a small shriek of surprise.
“I know, I know!” A voice yelled from the entry way. Nova peeked out into the hallway as Bridgette went stomping down the stairs. “As if spending the day with aunt Jenny wasn't bad enough!”
“It's your own fault!” Amber called setting down her backpack to take off her shoes.
“Shut up sap face!” Bridgette shouted from the basement.
“Mom! Bridgette just called me sap face!”
“I heard.” Came the very irritated voice of their mother. As soon as she stepped into the dining room her demeanor completely changed.

“Nova! How are you feeling?” Crystal asked rushing over.
“Fine.”
“How's your head?”
“Fine.”
“Have you been resting?”
“Yes.”
“Do you want me to make something for you?”
“I'm fine. I can wait till dinner.”
“Are you sure? I can make something for you now.”

“I'm fine, just thirsty.”
“Then let me get you some juice.” She hurried into the kitchen.
“Mom, I'm fine.” She followed her mother in an attempt to stop her but stopped when Crystal bent down to pick up the cup that had fallen on the floor.
“Nova,” she asked standing up, “is this yours?”
“Yes. I . . . I dropped when . . . when you came in. I was just startled. Let me clean it up.”
“No, no,” Crystal said placing the glass on the counter, “I'll clean it up. Why don't you go take a shower and get dressed.”
“Okay.” She muttered, knowing it was useless to argue with her mother.

While running her fingers through her hair Nova desperately tired to remember the events of the previous night. It wasn't long before she finally did. Though the water was nearly scalding Nova began to shiver. Why all the secrecy? Why replace the stove before I got up? Why didn't they just tell me? What else are they hiding from me?

Nova spent the rest of the afternoon in her room doing what little homework Lazlo had brought home for her. She never recalled having so little homework on the second day of school. No sooner had she finished then Amber came knocking on her door.
“Nova? Can I come in?”
“Yes.” She called.
Amber timidly walked into the room.
“Are you feeling better?”
“Yes, it's amazing what a 5 hour nap can do for a person.” Amber stood in the doorway staring at her sister for several seconds before rushing over and throwing her arms around her.

“Amber? Hey, what's wrong?”
“I was so scared.”
“What?” Nova pushed the small girl off of her and held her at arms length. “Why were you scared? Did something bad happen at school.”
“No, Last night when you . . .” She stopped and looked down at her shoes as if she had just been caught with her hand in the cookie jar. So the twins are in on it too? Why didn't they tell me?
“When I passed out?” Amber looked up and relief washed her face.
“Yeah. I was just . . . I haven't seen you since then and I . . . I wanted to make sure you were really okay.”
“I'm really okay.”
“And . . . you're not gonna leave us are you?”
“No.” Nova tilted her head in confusion. “Amber, what's gotten into you?”
“Nothing, I just . . . I just missed you. And it's time for dinner.”

Nova followed her sister up the stairs and was greeted by Bridgette running to hug her.
“Nova!”
“What has gotten into you two!?” She wrapped her arms around her youngest sister and lifted her off the ground. She put Bridgette down and joined her family at the table. “It's not like I've been in a hospital all week.” She looked over to her parents and watched them exchange nervous glances. Have I? With a panic she glanced at the calendar. The nineteenth hadn't been crossed off yet. She sighed in relief and sat down at the table. All this sneaking around was going to dive Nova crazy. She could just feel it.

Dinner was unusually quiet, Nova was to preoccupied to notice. Confusing thoughts kept rampaging through her brain. Two seemed to repeat themselves more than the rest. Why didn't they tell me?

Why didn't I remember? Followed by the occasional,

What else are they hiding?
#13 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 7:44 AM
she looks very intense in the last picture, and that question is very fitting to that picture. Very haunting... I wonder if they're are hiding anything from her.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 1:30 AM
I'm really enjoying the story so far! I can't wait for the next update :-D And the pictures are pretty nice too! :-)
#15 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 3:47 AM
very intense! I wonder why they are being all sneaky like! Good so far. Will be waiting for the next update! *^^*
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Jan 2009 at 7:25 AM Last edited by Avarici_SC : 1st Aug 2009 at 7:48 AM.
Default Chapter 4

The next morning Nova drifted though her classes still caught up in the torrent of unanswered questions that had kept her up all night. A new question had drifted into her dreams causing her to spend the rest of the night afraid to fall back asleep. How many times have has this happened? She tried to take a tally of the number of times she had “blacked out” in the last few years, but every time she'd stumble upon a memory of one of her episodes all she could remember was Crystal or Lazlo telling her she had passed out. Try as she might she couldn't remember any of them. Except this one. That brought up another question. Why was this one different from all the rest? Was it because of the fire? She shivered at the memory and shortly after was startled out of her reverie by the bell ringing.

As she walked toward the lunchroom she thought she heard someone calling her name, but quickly dismissed it as absolutely ridiculous. Who in this place knew her name and if they did why would they bother talking to her?
“Nova! NOVA!”
She stopped and glanced around the hall before finally spotting a girl frantically waving at her. The girl shoved her way through the crowd.
“Nova, I can't believe it's really you! After all these years.” Nova furrowed her eyebrows and tried desperately to figure out who this mysterious girl was. She looked familiar in a way that Nova could only describe as unsettling.

“It's me, Susie,” Nova felt like she had swallowed a boulder. “Susie Redwood. We went to grade school together!”
As million thoughts stampeded through Nova's brain she tried to grab onto one and hoped it was an appropriate response. When she opened her mouth Susie held up her hand.
“Before you say anything I want to apologize. I know that I was an absolute bitch in grade school, and I've had a lot of time to think about it and I just, I swore four years ago if I ever saw you again I'd apologize and beg for your forgiveness.”
Now Nova was at a complete loss of what to say. She spat out the first intelligible thought that entered into her consciousness.
“Okay.” She mentally smacked herself. That sounded more like a question than a response.

Susie continued on as if she hadn't even heard Nova. “I don't expect you to forgive me for what I did. I was . . . ” She looked up at the ceiling and Nova noticed tears were beginning to pool in her eyes. “All the things I did and said were just . . . disgusting and wrong and there is no excuse for the way I treated you. So honestly Nova,” Susie stared directly into her eyes, “I am so sorry. If you can forgive me it would mean the world to me, but if you can't I'll understand.”
Suddenly it dawned on Nova that somewhere in her mind she had been hating Susie all these years without even realizing it and with four words all that hate was gone. Nova felt some weight she hadn't known she was carrying disappear.

“I forgive you Susie.” The words tumbled from her mouth before she even finished thinking them. Then Susie did something that shocked Nova to the very core of her being. She began to sob.
“You have no idea what that means to me Nova. It's just my whole life changed when Krissi started school. She has Cerebral Palsy and the kids are so mean to her. She comes home everyday in tears, telling us how everyone hates her, how she wishes she was never born, and everyday Nova, it reminded me of you. I wished someone would stick up for her, and I wished someone had been brave enough to stick up for you. I wished I had been brave enough to ask you to be my friend instead of devoting my life to making you miserable.”

“Really, it's okay.” Nova suddenly felt extremely awkward as Susie began wiping her tears on her sleeve. Then she had an epiphany. “Did you say Krissi?”
“Yeah,” she sniffled, “Why?”
“My little sister knows her, well I don't know if she actually knows her but she did beat up some kid for making fun of her.”
“That was your sister!? Krissi told me about that. She's been looking all over for her.”
“She was suspended.”
“Oh my gosh! That's terrible! Oh I feel awful!”
“Don't. You don't know my sister. She's been looking for a reason to hurt Ricky Hawkins since her first day of kindergarten.” Susie smiled. “And I know she'd do it again in a heartbeat.”
“I can relate. Thank her for me, and for Krissi. No one has ever stood up for her before. My parents had her transferred this year because the kids were so awful at her last school.”
“I will.”

“So, are you headed for the Cafeteria?”
“No, I brought lunch today.”
“Cool, you wanna eat with me and my friends?”
Nova grinned. “Sure.”
“Sweet. Lets go.”
She and Susie walked side by side through the many twists and turns of Strangeville High until they reached a secluded hallway on the second floor of the school.
“Hey all!” Susie shouted. “This is my friend Nova, her sister's the girl who beat up the kid who was making fun of my sister. Anyway that's Dori,” she pointed to the other girl in the hallway then to the boy, “and that's Jake.”
Still reeling from being called someone's friend Nova barely remembered to say hi.

Jake reminded himself incessantly not to stare, but it was hard. Besides the fact that she was . . . well green, she was kinda cute. What ever you do don't start the conversation with “So, you're green.” He racked his brain for something else to talk about.
“So your sister . . . does she usually go around punching kids?”
“No.” Nova smiled. She has a nice smile. “She doesn't deal well with intolerance and she's been looking for a way to get Ricky back ever since he told her that she and Amber should be on display at the zoo.”
“Who's Amber?” Susie asked.
“Oh Amber is my other sister. She and Bridgette are identical twins.”
“Cool.” Dori sighed. “I always wanted a twin.”

“Oh my gosh!” Everyone turned to look at the girl who had just shouted. “What is that!?”
“Ew! It's like a snot colored person!” The boy standing next to her answered.
Jake glanced at Nova who was staring down at her sandwich, her face hidden under her hair. Susie jumped up, stormed across the hall, and stopped right in front of the pair.
“What the hell was that Brittany!?”
“What was what Susan dear?”
“Obviously your whore of a mother forgot to teach you manners.”

Brittany raised her hand as if to slap Susie.
“Go ahead bitch. I dare you.”
She dropped her hand and rolled her eyes.
“Wouldn't want to ruin my $50 manicure.” She held out her hand and admired her fingers.
“What the hell are you doing up here anyway?” Susie spat.
“I came to talk to Nurse Roberts if you must know.”
“Well coincidentally enough she's out sick today so can just turn around and get out of our hallway.”
Your hallway?” The boy next to her asked.
“Shut up Mike.” Brittany snapped. “What if I don't want to leave?”
“You really want to hang around and risk being seen with the likes of us?”
“Ew no.” She glanced at Nova and shuddered.

“Then go. And if I ever see you so much as sneer at Nova again so help me I'll-”
“Oooh what?” Brittany's eyes lit up. “What will you do Susan? Hit me?”
Susie unclenched her fists and retreated to her corner. “I'm sure I'll think of something.”
“Come on Mike!” Brittany grabbed his wrist and dragged him down the hall.
After a few moments of tense silence Nova spoke.
“Thanks for sticking up for me Susie.” She nodded but continued to glare at the floor.
“So, you gonna explain to Nova what that was all about?” Jake asked.
“Don't talk to me right now.” She spat through clenched teeth.
“Ooooh ooooh!” Dori exclaimed. “Can I tell it?”
“Whatever.”

“Okay!” Dori scooted across the hall closing the gap between her and Nova. “So Brittany and Susie's mom's are like, best friends. So growing up Susie and Brittany always had to play together whenever their mom's did stuff. And Brittany's mom absolutely adores Susie so Brittany knows she can't do anything to her. Susie's mom is the same way with Brittany.”
Susie sighed in frustration. “I swear my mother thinks she's a saint. Brittany this, and Brittany that, you should be more like Brittany, she's such a sweet girl you should hang out with her more. Drives me nuts!” The bell signaling the end of lunch rang interrupting Susie's rant.
“Dori and I are right here for art class, where are you off to?”
“Me?” Nova asked. “Um science with Mr. Jordan. I just have to find it.”

“I'm headed the same direction.” Jake said. “I could walk you there.” Please say yes.
“Really!? That would be great, I get so lost in this place!”
“Cool.” He turned toward the other two. “I guess I'll see you two same time same place tomorrow.”
“See ya.” Dori waved, Susie grabbed her bag and stormed into the art room.
“Bye . . . ” Nova added.
They walked in silence while Jake wondered what to talk about.
Nova spoke first. “So what's your family like?”
“Big, loud and overcrowded.”
She raised her eyebrows. He sighed and scratched his head.

“Okay, I have three older brothers and a little sister. The two oldest are only 10 months apart so they both just graduated and are going off to college. But classes don't start until next week so we're still stuck with them. Next is Eric, he's a Junior here this year. If I see him I'll point him out to you but he won't wave, we don't really socialize at school. Then there's me, obviously, and my little sister, she's 10 now I think. Yes. And this is Mr. Jordan's room.”
“Thanks for walking me here.”
“Anytime, I'll see you tomorrow at lunch.” She smiled and waved.
She really does have a nice smile. The bell rang and Jake started.
“Crap!” He took off running, hoping he could make it to the other side of the school before Mrs. Lewis noticed he was late.
Test Subject
#17 Old 23rd Jan 2009 at 3:54 AM
:D!!! I LUB YOUR STORY! I'm like you're No.1 FAN!!! <3 Seriously.... except for your husband probably... NEway. *LUB* I was excited to get your email about this cuz I'd almost forgotten it existed! O_O well good luck with new chapters and if you want an editor I'd love to help you know!

Oh and why does it say your join date is 1969? ...
Field Researcher
#18 Old 23rd Jan 2009 at 5:26 AM
Wow, avarici, this story is amazing. I can't wait to see more

Just Call Me Allie :)
Scholar
#19 Old 23rd Jan 2009 at 6:28 AM
I love this story, it's exciting and funny! And your sims are so pretty.

I like Jake too. And Dori. And Susie. But I DON'T like Brittany!

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2009 at 3:45 PM
Thanks everyone! No my husband does not like my stories, yes I would love your help, and I don't like Brittany either! Oh, and the 1969 thing happened when the server when wonky a few years back or something. There is a thread about it in the site issues forum.
#21 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 12:44 AM
I also love your story. Thank you for letting me also know it was updated
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Apr 2009 at 11:14 PM Last edited by Avarici_SC : 1st Aug 2009 at 7:52 AM.
Default Chapter 5

Nova practically skipped home, humming all the way. She kept thinking back to her new friends. Gosh it felt good to be able to call someone that. She repeated it over and over in her mind. My friends, Susie, Dori and Jake, Susie, Dori and Jake. It has a nice little ring to it. Nova, Susie, Dori and Jake. I like that. She promptly decided that she would do her homework at the kitchen table so she could bombard her family with the good news the second they walked in the door.

The hour she spent at the table seemed like an eternity until finally she heard Bridgette's loud complaining just outside the door. She ran to open it.
“. . . Aunt Jenny's house, she's so bossy I don't know how anyone stands her!”
“Hi Bridgette!” Nova shouted as she threw open the door. She jumped.
“Jeez! You scared me!”
“Go sit on the couch I have something to tell you!”
“Nova,” Crystal warned, “she's grounded and is to go straight to her room.”
“It will only take a second Mom. You too Amber.” She pulled the twins over to the couch by their wrists and sat them on either side of her. Crystal followed and sat on the love seat.

“Today was the best day of my life.” She began dramtically.
“Really?” Bridgette asked skeptically.
“Yes. And it's thanks in part to you.” Amber and Bridgette raised their eyebrows simultaneously. Nova giggled as she wrapped her arms around Bridgette and pulled her close.
“Remeber Susie Redwood?” She asked Crystal. Her face flushed and she scowled.
“How could I forget?”
“She came up to me at school today and apologized.”
“Really?” Crystal asked with wide eyes.
“Yeah, she begged for my forgiveness and even cried.” Nova beamed.
“And that makes you happy?” Amber asked.
“What does that have to do with me?” Bridgette queried

“Well after she apologized she started talking about how she changed when her sister Krissi started going to school.”
“Krissi?” The twins asked together.
“Yes!” She turned to her mother. “Krissi has Cerebral Palsy and apparently they just transferred her to a new school because the kids at her last school were so mean to her. Susie said Bridgette is the first kid to ever sick up for her.” She looked at Bridgette. “I've never been so proud to call you my sister.” Bridgette beamed.
“Oh and Krissi has been looking for you so she could thank you. So on behalf of both her and Susie, thank you.”

“It was no big deal.” Bridgette said as she stood up. “Well I'm off to my room until dinner.”
“Bridgette,” Crystal called. “Under the circumstances, and since today is the last day of your suspension, I'm going to end your punishment now.”
“That's not fair Mom!” Amber shouted.
“Would you like to serve the rest of her sentence for her?” Amber pinched her lips together and shook her head.
“Alright then. Go play girls.” They both grabbed their backpacks and hurried down the stairs. Crystal got up and sat next to Nova.

“So she really apologized?”
“She was completely sincere. And then she invited me to eat lunch with her and her friends Dori and Jake. It was great! I don't think I've ever been this happy in my life!”
“I'm happy for you Nova. I guess you were right.”
“I usually am.” She grinned and walked into the kitchen to gather up her homework. She smiled at her mother as she carted the stack of books and papers down to her room.

Jake was in his room when his father called everyone to dinner. He sighed. Dad being in charge of dinner was never a good sign. Mom had a migraine, the pizza was here and it would be served in the den in front of the ridiculously large flat screen T.V. The entire family was already sitting on the couch shoving pizza down their throats when he walked in. He grabbed a slice and plopped down beside his sister causing her to slightly bounce out of her seat.

“Sorry Amy.” She mumbled something through a mouth full of pizza which Jake assumed meant she didn't care. During a commercial break Dad muted the T.V. and asked about school.
“Boring.” Amy replied getting up to refill her soda at the mini bar.
“Pretty much.” Kevin added.
“Susie introduced us to the new girl--” He stopped and inwardly swore. He'd forgotten the cardinal rule of family discussions. Never under any circumstances mention girls. His two oldest brothers wasted no time bombarding him with questions. Aaron began.

“Is she cute?”
“Do you like her?” Eric asked.
“You gonna ask her out?”
“Did you get her number?”
“Does she have a sister?”
“She's green.” Kevin interrupted nonchalantly. Jake felt his face pale, Amy choked on her soda and spat it back into her cup, and his dad stopped eating mid bite.

“Really?” Aaron asked.
“Yup.” Kevin glanced over at Jake. “Isn't she, like, half alien or something?”
“I don't know, I sure as hell wasn't gonna ask her. I just met her today.”
“You two seemed pretty cozy walking down the hall this afternoon.” Several cat calls echoed through the large room. Despite his best efforts Jake couldn't stop himself from blushing.

Eric gasped. “So you did get her number!”
“Aaaw! Be nice guys,” Aaron cooed, “little Jakie's embawassed!”
“What's there to be embarrassed about?” His dad asked.
“Nothing, unless he's already made it to first base with her!” Eric shouted. This time the hooting was even louder.
“Not appropriate!” Their father shouted. “There is a little lady in the room.”
Amy began waving her arm then yelled through a mouth full of pizza, “The show's back on!”
“Some lady.” Kevin snorted.

Jake stood and grabbed several more pizza slices and walked out of the room. “I'll be in my room if you need me,” Nobody acknowledged the fact that he was leaving and Jake could hear their conversation down the hall.
“I'm telling you dad with both me and Eric on the team this year SSU is going all the way!”
“Shut up! Jack's about to kick some serious ass!” Kevin shouted.
Jake rolled his eyes and kept walking.

Avarici says: Sorry it took me so long to update life's been pretty crazy! Let me know if you see any grammar issues or typos.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 1:23 AM
I really like your story. The first person and third person point of view confused
me at first but I'm getting the hang of it. Great job. I can't wait for more.
I like the chemistry between the twin girls. Bridgette is hilarious.

PS: My name is also Bridgette! It's so rare to come across the same name
with the same spelling which makes me like the story even more. haha.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 11:32 AM
awww...i think i am in love with Jake lol..he is so sweet! Cant wait to see where it goes.

my stories:
Something Lost
Scholar
#25 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 12:22 PM
Yay, finally an update!
I love Jake's family. And Amber and Bridgette are so cute! Everything seems to be going good...it's gonna last...right??

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Page 1 of 2