Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 3:20 AM
Default The Sims 4 Custom Content Algorithm
I've been looking into custom content creation for The Sims 4 and have been experimenting with the files using Kuree's S4PE. I've successfully learned how to create custom swatches.

Only problem is, it's a useless glitch at the moment...

Well, CC creation may not be fully discovered yet but it's a step in the right direction. For those of you who are interested in investigating further, here is how:

1. Obviously, the key file is the CASP file. By cloning one of those files, and changing the "Instance" name to something unique, it creates a new piece of content. Each CASP file has a "Name" value attached to it.
2. Each CASP file has an associated UNKN file whose instance name is the exact same as the FNV64 hash of the "Name" value (and the file can be found using S4PE's filter feature). When creating a new piece of content, it's important to change the name attached to the CASP to something unique, and change the UNKN file's instance to match it.

Note: "Use Resource Name" in S4PE doesn't seem to be working at the moment, so if you try experimenting yourself, be sure to uncheck that option before changing the details of a file.

These are just two of the most likely many files that need to be changed in order to have working CC, but hopefully what has been discovered so far will be useful to others who are looking to crack the CC algorithm. Together, we can do it!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 3:25 AM
Have no clue what you just said, but this is exciting!

Good luck you more creative folk!

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Test Subject
#3 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 3:51 AM
I'd try and play with the values a bit, but unfortunately no demo for me yet
Test Subject
#4 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:32 AM
I deeply regret the production of mods which would result in any more suckers buying sims 4. You do what you want but I wish you'd stop. The amount of downloading required when casT is gone is atrocious! I'm currently playing sims 2 just for the nostalgia factor but no way would I ever go back to downloading recolors or wanting to invest in a modern game where that was an issue. This is going backwards and I hate to see EA encouraged.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:57 AM
I'm glad to see people already investigating about custom content in TS4. If I had such skill, I would do it too, but my modder days were gone with TS2 and Skyrim

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:35 AM
I for one will be happy to download this Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak when it is released on MTS!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:21 PM
This is so cool!
Scholar
#8 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:27 PM
I know this sounds so spoiled, and it is, but I hope people do the thumbnails right this time around. No watermarks, the right size, etc. I'm virgo and I have seizures with some CC thumbnails in Sims 3. x_x

ps.: I am obviously so grateful for everything modeers do, but I can't help my perfeccionist ways.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:47 PM
The reason the names don't work yet is probably because we don't have the same packed resource that holds the names of the other resources.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 2:09 PM
You know it's really, really easy to make your own custom thumbnails for CC in TS3, if the ones creators use bother you so much.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#11 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:14 PM
I have no idea how the textures work, I know HP mentioned texture and color are separate. Does that mean the same swatches work on all outfits? Or are they per-outfit?

Resident wet blanket.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#12 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Or are they per-outfit?

Or per lack-of-outfit

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#13 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:20 PM
I hope there will be a way to make recolors pretty soon and not just replacements, but additional recolors. Still, I hope we will get a Body Shop-like program anyway.

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Scholar
#14 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:34 PM
I guess I really need to figure out how to do this myself for sims 4. I cannot go back to spending half my life scouring the internet for a couch that matches my drapes.
Scholar
#15 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You know it's really, really easy to make your own custom thumbnails for CC in TS3, if the ones creators use bother you so much.

That's why I said all those things about being spoiled and whatnot. But don't worry, it was just random bitching. I love this community. It's just my personal perfectionist problem.

It's awesome that people are already trying to learn Sims 4's coding. Maybe I should learn it this time around, since everyone will be learning it together. If only I had the damn demo...
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:54 PM
Since RLE has been decoded, the wrapper and preview will be shipped with the next version of s4pe, which makes texture replacement possible. In terms of CASP, our understanding is still limited because we don't have a working demo to poke around, although the wrapper is already out. I would say cas item is around 70% done, and a cloner will soon be written once we have the demo in hand.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Zerbu : 25th Jul 2014 at 6:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Does that mean the same swatches work on all outfits? Or are they per-outfit?

If I understand correctly: From a technical point of view, the "outfits" as shown in CAS are merely categories, and swatches are the actual outfits. Technically, you could have a completely different mesh for two swatches on the same outfit. I'm basing that on what I've learned so far, so I could very well be missing something.

Quote: Originally posted by Kuree
Since RLE has been decoded, the wrapper and preview will be shipped with the next version of s4pe, which makes texture replacement possible. In terms of CASP, our understanding is still limited because we don't have a working demo to poke around, although the wrapper is already out. I would say cas item is around 70% done, and a cloner will soon be written once we have the demo in hand.

That sounds like good news! It will allow modders to get a sneak peek at how CC will look by changing the default textures.
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:24 AM
Granthes has just completed a tool which greatly simplifies the process of creating recolors: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?p=36

You'd also need S4PE and an image editor which can read and write DDS files.

BTW, with non-default-replacement clothing recolors, the thumbnail previews auto-generate. We're still working on the smaller and larger color swatch buttons.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Granthes has just completed a tool which greatly simplifies the process of creating recolors: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?p=36

You'd also need S4PE and an image editor which can read and write DDS files.

BTW, with non-default-replacement clothing recolors, the thumbnail previews auto-generate. We're still working on the smaller and larger color swatch buttons.

It looks awesome, but how do you access the DDS file? When I generate a new package using that program, there's no DDS file inside the .package file, not even a corrupted one.

EDIT: Never mind, found the instructions - http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=in...sing-casrecolor
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 3:07 AM
This is cool. I have made a nude bottom for males, but the weird thing is the thumbnail is naked, but it has boxes with question marks. I think it may be because of no mask or something, but i have looked at the nude top, as there is no mask in the .package file. As the demo as code for certain items for textures.

If you would like to try the mod/bottom, i have included a link. (To use it, put it in your CAS Demo mods folder, and it is in the underwear section, with a white icon/texture/color
Attached files:
File Type: rar  simalary44_ymBottom_UnderwearSexy_None.rar (616 Bytes, 608 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simalary44
This is cool. I have made a nude bottom for males, but the weird thing is the thumbnail is naked, but it has boxes with question marks. I think it may be because of no mask or something, but i have looked at the nude top, as there is no mask in the .package file. As the demo as code for certain items for textures.

If you would like to try the mod/bottom, i have included a link. (To use it, put it in your CAS Demo mods folder, and it is in the underwear section, with a white icon/texture/color

It worked perfectly for me, no boxes with question marks.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 9:59 AM
But... but... how could the modders make that neato custom pose with the sim flipping the bird, but not make custom clothes? U LAZY PEOPLES!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
But... but... how could the modders make that neato custom pose with the sim flipping the bird, but not make custom clothes? U LAZY PEOPLES!

Yes, I'm lazy.
Instructor
#25 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
I guess I really need to figure out how to do this myself for sims 4. I cannot go back to spending half my life scouring the internet for a couch that matches my drapes.

Is that supposed to be a euphemism?

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Page 1 of 2