Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 8:39 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default BoostSpeed didn´t just delete junk files, it deleted some Sims files and game won´t launch.
Please, please help! I used BoostSpeed program to get rid of junk files and to make my computer faster, and now I cannot play anymore. When I try to open the game there is pop up window telling me that: "Some needed files were corrupted during installation. Please reinstall this application".

I think, that when I used Boost Speed to clean junk files, program cleaned some important Sims files as well.
I didnt have a clue something like this could happen.
I googled, but cannot find any solution. I assume some registry files has been deleted. They are not in the trash or anywhere to be found anymore.
Do I really need to uninstall everything? Sure I can always backup the whole sims 2 folder, but I have done a lot of settings to the program files as well (lighting mods, UI elements, graphic card stuff, 4gb patche etc.) I cannot even remember all the things I have done through last year, so even I am able to backup Sims 2 folder, I would need to do all those settings again, and just thinking about all that work hurts my head. Is there anything I could do? I found THIS but I don´t understand those instructions at all...I was able to find that path, from regedit, but that´s pretty much all I understood.

btw, I have disc-version of the game, so I am not able to refresh register through origin. I also don´t have internet on the computer I play on.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 8:53 PM
Yes, you'll have to reinstall. No, you're not going to be able to fix whatever happened by hand, especially if you don't actually know what this program did.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Yes, you'll have to reinstall. No, you're not going to be able to fix whatever happened by hand, especially if you don't actually know what this program did.

Oh well, that is then what I have to do. I have never before had to reinstall my game, but now i messed up.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 10:12 AM
Do you remember which lightning mods etc you installed? That should help you get everything set up again.

If you have the Origin version, you can try to have Origin repair your game, but this would obviously remove all your UI mods as well.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 1:37 PM
I would be cautious about what a program does before using it and make sure I read all documentaion about it or look for an alternative like the one I use to speed my computer up for loading the game which has a gaming mode and dosen't delete files unless I activated that function and I make sure anything that might do that is highly customizable and that I can select what it removes.I had AVG virus "protection" once delete files I shouldn't have which were made as backups and it decided on it's own that the duplicates were made without authorization when I made the copies myself to back things up.I got rid of it once it started doing that and not allowing me to back my files up.I had that program on and haven't let it do anything yet and was hesitant to try it out and I'm liklely going to remove it.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 2:45 PM
AVG seems to be a bit iffy. I did some research while looking around for a proper AV program, and I also heard a few stories from people who used it that it's been rather heavy on false positives and other problems (but it could vary with versions and updates, of course). I've avoided it.

Before you use any new programs that claim to clean up your computer or speed it up, make sure you have a full file backup (and maybe also a restoration point) you can return to in case things go south.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:40 AM
@simmer22 -You've said exactly what I went though with AVG virus "protection" the last time it was even on my computer and it was up to that point a much trusted program until that last round after they changed it.I use another program for boosting speed which is trusted and does the job.I use a defragmenting tool when the hard drive needs defragmenting.I just do file cleaning manually and mostly move the extra files to extenral hard drives or usb sticks.I also 100% agree on that other point and even go further to strongly advise checking out exactly what that program does before installing it like I dod with thr system booster progreams I still have installed.Those ones are fine and could be set up before being activated.