Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 2:50 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Origin Launcher Questions
Greets!!

This is to address issues running Sims 2 from Origin, so yes, it's on Topic

So I've been attempting to help Prime with his crashing issues, he uses Origin.

A few questions for Origin users. Have you ever tried to run Sims 2 without the origin launcher?

Does the Origin Service allow that?

Have any of you disabled the Service and ran your game or games?

I assume this would be stand alone vs a game you play with other people online.

If not, would any of you who are a bit computer savy stop the Origin service, disable it, then reboot and try running Sims 2 via the exe itself.

Finding this out would be useful in eliminating the game not working.

As it appears to a number of Origin uses that an Origin upgrade can cause crashing.

Thanks a bunch!

GS

A bit of off topic background....
I down-loaded the UC from Origin when they first offered it. Then promptly uninstalled Origin. This was a bit of a mistake as they later updated the Holiday pak.
Just letting those who did what I did, that they need to update it for completeness. It adds 50 items.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 3:21 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 31st Jul 2020 at 5:08 PM. Reason: no piracy
As far as I know, there are no side effects to running the game without Origin. I used to run Sims 2 entirely without Origin, but a while ago there was an update that made it so you can't run the game via the exe anymore.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 4:10 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 31st Jul 2020 at 5:09 PM. Reason: no piracy
Greets Ovenhole!

Sounds like they introduced something like Securom that prevents it from running without the Origin Service running.

Thanks a Bunch for the reply.

GS
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Scholar
#5 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Savagegrace
Greets Ovenhole!

Sounds like they introduced something like Securom that prevents it from running without the Origin Service running.

Thanks a Bunch for the reply.

GS

actually kind of opposite, they removed the SECUROM abomination as the game main protection (though not entirely because a lot of trash is still present in the registry and should be removed manually, well Windows and EA, what would you expect?) among others because SECUROM as others of a kind were recognized as dangerous and blocked making troubles in W10. It never should be used in the 1st place but well... software companies.

It is still possible to use old executable (pre-patch) if these registry entries exists, which may be handy for (e.g.) Linux users who do not want to deal with EA's own abomination (namely: launcher) and want to transplant the existing windows installation into respective wine instance without necessity of dealing with Origin The Mess.

Besides running any service of that kind should be considered serious security issue, it does not matter what it is. So, they exchanged one bad solution for another. As usual.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 6:32 PM
Oops!

Thanks HugeLunatic for the edit. (Shouldn't happen again)

Thanks ElaineNualla for the info. I knew most of that but it always amazes me companies cut their own throat, customer relations wise, trying to secure their services.

If Origin doesn't get a handle on their Launcher and updates, they'll be losing clients!

But programmers always believe they have the right....

My jaw dropped when I saw what Milkshape did. You think MickeySoft is bad!

Too bad they didn't pay more attention to their alpha 3D view.

Agggggg! Don't get me started.

GS
Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 8:12 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 31st Jul 2020 at 8:27 PM.
Origin removed Securom (enough for Win10 to be kind of okay, anyway) with one of the latest updates.

As for without Origin... Wrong place for discussion - I think I found a couple solutions for Origin/Win10/graphic card issues and various other problems over at Leefish, though (http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/index.php under "sims discussion" and "graphic cards" )