Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2012 at 6:51 AM
Default A mistake in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?
I have no idea if this has been discussed on here or not. In DH (book) there is a taboo on saying Voldemort, which takes away all magical concealment. That is how the Death Eaters found the trio on Tottenham Court Road, right? They say Voldemort's name several while they are staying at 12 Grimmauld Place. Shouldn't the taboo have allowed the watching Death Eaters to see and enter the house?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th May 2012 at 11:30 AM
Well, I guess it depends which spell is stronger - the taboo or the hiding spell. Presumably there are a whole load of other spells - spells to make invisible things visible, for example - which would just bounce off the spell on Grimmauld Place, so why not the taboo as well?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#3 Old 17th May 2012 at 4:49 PM
About "mistakes" in general... If you read the books carefully, you'd actually find a lot of questionable things in the series- whether it involves characters' actions (and idiot moments), magical restrictions, plot holes, etc...

It's quite widely discussed already, actually
Helptato
#4 Old 17th May 2012 at 7:27 PM
I assumed it was put in place in the 7th book as a way to catch Harry out, as he was one of the only ones aside from Dumbledore who actually said Voldemort's name. I guess because Voldy knew Harry was trying to find the horcruxes?

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th May 2012 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sparklycookie
I assumed it was put in place in the 7th book as a way to catch Harry out, as he was one of the only ones aside from Dumbledore who actually said Voldemort's name. I guess because Voldy knew Harry was trying to find the horcruxes?

That is what I thought too. Like Ron said, it was put into place to catch those who were really serious about standing up to Voldemort

Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Well, I guess it depends which spell is stronger - the taboo or the hiding spell. Presumably there are a whole load of other spells - spells to make invisible things visible, for example - which would just bounce off the spell on Grimmauld Place, so why not the taboo as well?

I never thought of it that way. I wonder if the protective spells on Grimmauld Place were stronger than those placed on the Burrow and homes of the Orders in the begining, because they were able to break through those.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 19th May 2012 at 11:59 PM
One of the biggest mistake for me was the stuff a the Burrow, was'nt blown up in the last movie? In the books the burrow was destoryed in this book and in film thats what happens. I do'nt get that why have Burrow blow up then magically put itself back together in time for second destrustion.

Another one of them is having it in two parts, if you cut all the time they are wondering around and camping you could get all into one movie instead off two.

The death of voldemort was a dissapointment to say the least. Why does he decome voldemort the paper mashere or a tissue? His death is not cool I think that they should have stuck more to the book and showed his corspe lieing on the ground lifeless or make his death more viloent with loads of blood .

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th May 2012 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
One of the biggest mistake for me was the stuff a the Burrow, was'nt blown up in the last movie? In the books the burrow was destoryed in this book and in film thats what happens. I do'nt get that why have Burrow blow up then magically put itself back together in time for second destrustion.

Another one of them is having it in two parts, if you cut all the time they are wondering around and camping you could get all into one movie instead off two.

The death of voldemort was a dissapointment to say the least. Why does he decome voldemort the paper mashere or a tissue? His death is not cool I think that they should have stuck more to the book and showed his corspe lieing on the ground lifeless or make his death more viloent with loads of blood .

The Burrow burned down in HBP the movie. Nothing happened to it in the books, as far as I remember.

I agree about Voldemort's death. They should have left it alone.
I was also dissapointed that they left out Kreacher hitting Mungdungus with the pan, and The Prince's Tale how it's written in the book. Especially this part: Dumbledore, (talking to Snape) "You must kill me." *pause* Snape (in a sarcastic voice) "Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a moment to compose an epitaph?"
Theorist
#8 Old 24th May 2012 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
That is what I thought too. Like Ron said, it was put into place to catch those who were really serious about standing up to Voldemort

I never thought of it that way. I wonder if the protective spells on Grimmauld Place were stronger than those placed on the Burrow and homes of the Orders in the begining, because they were able to break through those.

Didn't Dumbledore put a protective spell on 4 Privet Drive to protect Harry when he was there until he turned 17? That's why he always wanted Harry to go back there in the summer. Even after Voldemort returned at the end of the fourth book he never went to Privet Drive to get Harry, until after Dumbledore's death had ended the spell, even though that would have been the easiest place in the world to kill him in theory. So perhaps the spells on Grimmauld place were equally as strong as those spells and that completely overrode the tracker on Voldemort's name.

Also, it has been a while since I've read the last book, but weren't there death eaters hanging around outside Grimmauld Place while the trio were hiding inside, only they couldn't see the house or get in? So they knew they were there, they just couldn't get at them.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th May 2012 at 3:56 AM
No, the spell over 4 Privet Dr. was there because of Lilly's sacrifice. Lilly sacrificing her own life for Harry is what saved him from the killing curse; it also protected him while he still called home with his mother's relative (sister). The spell ended after Harry no longer called 4 Privet Dr. home, that's what Mad-Eye (and Dumbledore too I think) anyway.

I have also wondered about Hermione "giving the secret" of Grimmauld Place to the Yaxely. If she was a secret keeper after Dumbledore died and gave Yaxely the secret, he would know how to get in. But I don't see how he could bring others in with him, because he wouldn't be a secret keeper right? Because in OOTP, the Advanced Guard couldn't tell Harry the location of HQ, they had to give him a note written by Dumbledore.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#10 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 12:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leo06girl
I wonder if the protective spells on Grimmauld Place were stronger than those placed on the Burrow and homes of the Orders in the begining, because they were able to break through those.
Probably, since Grimmauld Place was the home of some seriously paranoid witches and wizards long before the order set up shop there. There were most likely plenty of protective spells placed on it that nice people wouldn't dream of using.

And as much as I like the series, I have to admit, some of the plot holes are so big you could fly a Quidditch team through.