Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 10:16 PM
Default Humble Courtours
I made a new family home.

Lot Specs

Cost (Furnished) - 188,894
Cost (Unfurnished) - 89,011
BR - 3
Bath - 1 and a half

Front of House. with view of Garage

First Floor

Second Floor

Patio

Also including is a small gazebo with seating in the front. a large swimming pool and relaxation area. a full garage. and landscaping

opinions? should I upload this to this site?

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/...trustrich-1.jpg

How do we know why a child waves at his parents on a merry-go round and the parents always wave back?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 10:53 PM
Ah I feel like the style choices are all over the place.. Also the garage door needs a wall on the other side of it. I like the idea, I just feel it should be a little more organized.

Facebook! | Find more of my stuff at my blog! | Tumblr | Donate
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#3 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 12:31 AM
The house is way too big for how your layout is set up. I suggest either shrinking the house first, or beefing up the inside first, we'll go form there.

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 12:57 AM
The house looks good but it needs some changes...
As QBUILDERZ mentioned you should shrink the house a bit...
Also i would say remove this ugly floor in the front of the house..
Moreover you have too many floorlamps in the living room...some ceiling lamps would be better..also try not to use the same floor in every room because that makes it ugly and boring..
PS: I advise you to set the graphic options at max when you are goin to take pictures..
Its not a beautiful sight to see ugly graphics and in that way we cant see the house very clear

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 3:26 AM
The high graphics settings make my game look like Sims 1. You don't want to see it.

the ceiling lamps are not working for me. and I think All the other floors are ugly. (well most)

The floor in front of the house was suppose to be a stone pathway. I thought it looked good.

and about the size. I totally just ran out of furniture (or ideas) to put. I didn't want to put 20 bookcases in. I made the best of the space I had.

I also fixed the garage wall problem.

How do we know why a child waves at his parents on a merry-go round and the parents always wave back?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 3:31 AM
Updates: Varied the floors a little more. added tile in the bathroom and half bath and changed the wood on the patios and in the kitchen

Changed the top floor's extorior paint to a type of stone

Captain Louie
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 3:40 AM
Okay, I think your house has a bit of an M.P.D. issue going on here. Let's see if we can address this. :P

It looks like this house is trying to find a place between two styles that are (to be honest) totally not working together. I see a ton of modern stuff going on with the flat roof, boxy design, etc. But I also see a lot of...randomness. I am having some problems trying to decide exactly what you are trying to achieve with this house.

So, can you tell me at least what STYLE you're going for?

Also, pics of the changes, please

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 3:46 AM
I'm going for a modern design.

and here are the update pics

Overall view of the house.

Front View

Second floor (with better view of floorplan)

and notice the green paint. that is used on every wall.

First floor. (with floorplan)

Pool Area

Patio

changes include matching fences and the stone. and more diversity in the floor

I think the floorplan is professional. right?

how does the house look to you? opinions

Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 3:56 AM
See you gotta think about what looks good, not what you think is ugly. Personally I'm totally not a fan of tile flooring, but I put it into houses anyway because it matches and goes with what I'm trying to achieve. But if you really can't enjoy the house with anything other than wood flooring, PLEASE use rugs to make the floor look a little less the same throughout the house. Yes some houses do have all wood flooring, but they also have rugs and other stuff.
Also, there may be situations where you NEED to use ceiling lamps, particularly in bathrooms and smaller rooms.
You need to sit down and think of a theme to go with here.
I see you named it "Humble", when I think of humble I think of an old lady living in a cottage that is warm and homey, and right now you have a jambalaya of modern and who knows what else.
Also think about what windows and doors you are using, they are not consistent, they are all different colors and styles, and this greatly contributes to the scatteredness going on.
There is a mega overload of floor lamps. You have to think of a real house. I doubt a family would buy five identical floor lamps and place them all within 5 feet of each other.
Use the Create-A-Style tool! It will be your best friend, as mostly everything is CAST'able, it is easy to maintain a consistent and matching theme.
In some of the bedrooms, I see a brass bed and then a dark wood dresser, those are clashing.
Were I you, I would delete all the furniture, paint all the walls white, paint the floors white, and delete all the windows and doors, and then sit and carefully pick out things that match your theme idea. And CAST everything as soon as you put it down, that way so you don't miss anything later.

EDIT: Okay you say modern. Modern is blocky, solid colored, bright colors, severely matching color schemes, straight lines, most likely little to no natural colored wood.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 4:01 AM
Updates!

decided to add carpet to the bedroom's and add some diversity in paint colors

and removed the clud of floor lamps. only one where the five in one area where

Scholar
#11 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 3:47 PM
- you should arrange the pool-ladders around the pool, not all in one place
- add some tables with sunshade to the pool area
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 8:23 PM
I'm certainly no expert, so take what you want from it and disregard the rest, but I hope you'll find something useful. My three and a half cents...

Modern houses have "... flat roofs, unique cube shapes with curved adornments, clean lines, open floor plans, and the use of industrial-like materials, such as concrete, glass, and steel are common..." (quoted from http://www.mascord.com/contemporary-house-plans.asp There are some fantastic houses on that site. If you take a look at some of those houses, it might give you a few ideas for the outside decor). You've got the flat roof, clean lines and open floor plan, so that's a good start.

You seem to have a hodge podge going on. (I don't have anything except sims2 and nightlife on my crappy laptop, so I can't give the correct names of specific build elements )

Exterior:

Fences and railings:

You've got the fences and railings that go with the high end staircase around the lot and pool and on the roof and the balconies. Other than being wood, they strike me as being too fussy and delicate for the house, maybe a different type of fence around the balconies, decks and pool?

If there's not going to be access to the roof, you might want to consider a low pediment of some sort instead of full blown fence/railings.

You could even use a low pediment for the fence around the property.

You are using a different kind of fencing on the little deck in front and there doesn't seem to be any on the front porch.

The columns are Victorian-ish. You might consider a basic square or round column.

You have the basic brick foundation, fieldstone for the first floor and then square rocks (dry perpendicular brick?) for the upper floor. Perhaps you might consider picking only one of those, use it for the foundations and to emphasize the corners and angled walls, then use stucco and/or even siding in other places.

Windows:

you have modern looking windows, the ones with the metal fames, then you have mission, and 'country kitsch'. Was having them inside out (the flowerboxes inside) intentional? It's an interesting concept. Try picking one style of windows and use only them and/or similar ones. (I realize EA doesn't give you everything you need in each style, so it isn't always easy to do that, but try to limit the different styles and try to use similar ones. )

Perhaps more seating on the back deck? Do you have any outdoor lighting on the back deck and the entrance of the house and garage? Is there a door (beside the garage door) leading into the garage? I would also use the same tile you used for the main house.

(The screen on my crappy laptop makes it hard to see) Is there a gate in the fence around the pool? Do you have any lights on the fence and in the pool?

Inside:

Upper floor:

One of my pet peeves of houses (and it is entirely a personal preference) is single width stairs. Sims are lazy and they have the attention span of gnats. If you have two sims wanting to use the stairs, one is going to whine and throw a tantrum because they can't use said stairs while another sim is on them and more than likely, they'll go do something else instead of going where you want them to. I always use at least two width stairs.

You might consider putting a railing around the open area of it.

Another idea, that could take up space on the upper floor is leaving part of it open to the floor below, maybe around the front entry area and use something other than the sliding glass doors as a focal point for it?

The choices of furniture is also a hodge podge with different styles and different woods. Try to pick something and stick with it, at least, within each room. Choosing the furniture is always frustrating to me, there's always something that you need and want to use, but the comfort/environment is lacking. You can try to work around that by using patterns that have geometric elements.

The bathroom is too big for what's there. I can't tell, but is the only door into it through the MBR? If so, sims will have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. That could be disturbing to sims that are sleeping. You could divide it up and make two, a master bath and a regular one. You have plenty of room so you could even have a full bath downstairs instead of the half bath.

The bedroom in the lower left of the picture, I'm not sure if a sim can use the bed with the dresser right beside it instead of a night stand.

First floor:

Is there a sink in the kitchen?

You have enough space, you could put in an island.

Perhaps more seating on the back deck? You could even put in a chess table and another telescope.

I play all of the houses I build. I always find something I've missed. (I'm forever forgetting the kitchen sink and I learned where *not* to hide the security alarm. My sims slept blissfully unaware as a burglar cleaned them out. ) If you haven't played the house, it might also help you with other ideas of what to add/change/remove.

Anyway, that's my three and a half cents. I hope it helped.

Inspire. Dream. Hope. Believe. Imagine. Create.
Scholar
#13 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 8:34 PM
wow, JadedSidhe that's what i call a comment
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 8:52 PM
I hope it came across the way it was intended, helpful and not snarky.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JadedSidhe
I'm certainly no expert, so take what you want from it and disregard the rest, but I hope you'll find something useful. My three and a half cents...

Modern houses have "... flat roofs, unique cube shapes with curved adornments, clean lines, open floor plans, and the use of industrial-like materials, such as concrete, glass, and steel are common..." (quoted from http://www.mascord.com/contemporary-house-plans.asp There are some fantastic houses on that site. If you take a look at some of those houses, it might give you a few ideas for the outside decor). You've got the flat roof, clean lines and open floor plan, so that's a good start.

You seem to have a hodge podge going on. (I don't have anything except sims2 and nightlife on my crappy laptop, so I can't give the correct names of specific build elements )

Exterior:

Fences and railings:

You've got the fences and railings that go with the high end staircase around the lot and pool and on the roof and the balconies. Other than being wood, they strike me as being too fussy and delicate for the house, maybe a different type of fence around the balconies, decks and pool?

If there's not going to be access to the roof, you might want to consider a low pediment of some sort instead of full blown fence/railings.

You could even use a low pediment for the fence around the property.

You are using a different kind of fencing on the little deck in front and there doesn't seem to be any on the front porch.

Fixed -

The columns are Victorian-ish. You might consider a basic square or round column.

Fixed -

You have the basic brick foundation, fieldstone for the first floor and then square rocks (dry perpendicular brick?) for the upper floor. Perhaps you might consider picking only one of those, use it for the foundations and to emphasize the corners and angled walls, then use stucco and/or even siding in other places.

Fixed. and match the first and second floor exterior paint -

Windows:

you have modern looking windows, the ones with the metal fames, then you have mission, and 'country kitsch'. Was having them inside out (the flowerboxes inside) intentional? It's an interesting concept. Try picking one style of windows and use only them and/or similar ones. (I realize EA doesn't give you everything you need in each style, so it isn't always easy to do that, but try to limit the different styles and try to use similar ones. )

Perhaps more seating on the back deck? Do you have any outdoor lighting on the back deck and the entrance of the house and garage? Is there a door (beside the garage door) leading into the garage? I would also use the same tile you used for the main house.

Added lighting -

(The screen on my crappy laptop makes it hard to see) Is there a gate in the fence around the pool? Do you have any lights on the fence and in the pool?
yes -

Inside:

Upper floor:

One of my pet peeves of houses (and it is entirely a personal preference) is single width stairs. Sims are lazy and they have the attention span of gnats. If you have two sims wanting to use the stairs, one is going to whine and throw a tantrum because they can't use said stairs while another sim is on them and more than likely, they'll go do something else instead of going where you want them to. I always use at least two width stairs.

Not enough room -

You might consider putting a railing around the open area of it.

Another idea, that could take up space on the upper floor is leaving part of it open to the floor below, maybe around the front entry area and use something other than the sliding glass doors as a focal point for it?

The choices of furniture is also a hodge podge with different styles and different woods. Try to pick something and stick with it, at least, within each room. Choosing the furniture is always frustrating to me, there's always something that you need and want to use, but the comfort/environment is lacking. You can try to work around that by using patterns that have geometric elements.

The bathroom is too big for what's there. I can't tell, but is the only door into it through the MBR? If so, sims will have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. That could be disturbing to sims that are sleeping. You could divide it up and make two, a master bath and a regular one. You have plenty of room so you could even have a full bath downstairs instead of the half bath.

added extra door to master bath. and I don't know how to make the half bath a full bath without messing up the floorplan -

The bedroom in the lower left of the picture, I'm not sure if a sim can use the bed with the dresser right beside it instead of a night stand.
Will test it out. but every bedroom needs a dresser

First floor:

Is there a sink in the kitchen?

You have enough space, you could put in an island.

Perhaps more seating on the back deck? You could even put in a chess table and another telescope.

Done - (except chess table and telescope on deck)

I play all of the houses I build. I always find something I've missed. (I'm forever forgetting the kitchen sink and I learned where *not* to hide the security alarm. My sims slept blissfully unaware as a burglar cleaned them out. ) If you haven't played the house, it might also help you with other ideas of what to add/change/remove.

Anyway, that's my three and a half cents. I hope it helped.

my comments under the one's bolded

Captain Louie
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candlelight82
wow, JadedSidhe that's what i call a comment

And this is not, I have seen you do this quite a bit in many other posts, please keep it to feedback. This has given the house at hand nothing to work with. Thanks

In addition to all of your comments regarding the floorplan, that's what needs help the most. You have a ridiculous amount of space to kill, I think you can fit the double stairs, an office, the kitchen counters, a full out dining room, a den, living room, and a bathroom or two on the bottom floor alone.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 9:24 PM
NO I CAN'T

I can't fit the double stairs in the corner I put the stairs and putting them out in the open would cause routing issues. but I removed the single stairs and added the double stairs. and the extra room made by removing the origional stairs allowed me to expand the half bath into a full bath.

but where am I suppose to put a den? the den is not needing as it is in the living room. an office? I have kitcen counters? and you think that is not a full out dining room?

explain

Forum Resident
#18 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 9:44 PM
Can you post photos of what you mean by you "can't"?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 9:52 PM

Just imaging bathroom covering where the stairs where in the corner. (can't take a pic at the moment. working on other projects) and double stairs where the bar was.

do you see any room to put such den/office/extra bathrooms? I don't think so

now just imaging this, with double stairs poking out left of the chess table. and the origional stairs gone. do you see anywhere to put den/office/etc.

I DON'T THINK SO

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 10:13 PM
What if you kept the stairs on the same side of the house that they're on, but move them back a little, extend the bathroom to on the other side of where the stairs originally were, then put the stairs up against the new wall?

Forum Resident
#21 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 10:23 PM
Well if you're not willing to try anything new, then you might never know if it would have looked fine.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 10:22 PM
I'm sorry I'm just really new. I get mad when I thought was a perfect house is trash.

I suck as a builder and sim maker.

I kept getting a ''can't place stairs above stairs'' error when I tried to put the double stairs up agaist the bathroom wall or any place else on the first floor besides near the bar.

Lab Assistant
#23 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 10:25 PM
The house isn't trash, and you don't suck as a builder.

As for the error you're getting, you probably need to remove the window along the wall... if you're trying to put the stairs where I think you are.

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 10:30 PM
my bad, I misread what you typed. Did you take the stairs out first? If not, you'll need to do so. You will need to remove the one window on the stair side wall.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 10:31 PM
where do you think I am trying to place it?

EDIT. I did . but I already put the bathroom there. so that won't work

Locked thread | Locked by: leefish Reason: good info - dont delete
Page 1 of 2