Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 8:20 PM
Interior decorating help
Hey there,I made this house and its supposed to be modern but the inside is to countryish and I don't know what to do .The Exterior of the house is modernish but the landscaping and pool area are too traditional .Can you guys tell me how this can improve?

Front (Not finished)

Livingroom

Kitchen (I'm not sure if to change this...)

Bathroom 1

Bathroom 2

Pool Area (Looks really nice but its not modern )

First Storey

Second Storey

EDIT: I redid the livingroom and it looks kinda better but something is missing

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 8:50 PM
Can sims use the computer under the stairs?
Can sims use the pool when you got a border around it?

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Wiki Wizard
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 9:50 PM
This looks great, i think it's your best house, i really like it

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 10:10 PM
@Kaospilot I'm not sure about the computer part,I haven't tested it yet but yes,they can use a pool with a border

@Deluxe Designs thanks but its not finished
The other one
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 10:43 PM
When I make modern houses I try to stick to the following guidlines for decorating:

Walls&Floors:
1. Clean walls (minimise fussy dado rails and cornicing etc, usually a skirting board is enough) for normal walls. No wood is fine too.
2. Mixing natural materials creates a fresh, modern look. Try mixing wood and slate/stone (looking tiles) with fresh blocks of colour (including muted natural tones works)
3)

Colour schemes:
1. Keep it fairly simple, 3 colours usually work for me. If you want to go bright try mixing bolder colours with metal or wood but don't drown the room in either, break it up with a lighter natural tone or white.
2. If you want to use heavy patterns keep them to a minimum.
3. Steer clear of florals unless you use over-sized print and again, keep it to a minimum, one focus wall is usually enough.

Furniture:
1. Modern furniture usually has clean, smooth lines, try to avoid anything with fussy carvings and embelishments.
2. Avoid clutter

For the exterior I would change either the fance or the terrain paint around the pool, it's a bit to brown to be modern. You could try putting a little fence around plants,paths etc to give it a structured modern feel.

Hope this helps

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 11:13 PM
Hm, a part of my previous post seem to have been missed I must be doing something wrong because it happens a lot.

missroxor has some very good pointers. I agree with DD too, it's your best house (yet!)

You floorplan is very well laid out. As for the swimming pool, I learnt something new then! And the PC, I think it might be useable if the computer is where the plant is. A carpet or something to fill up behind the sofa would look nice. Also what are you planning to use the upstairs open space for? Where the jogging machine is

Also a way to make the fence less brown is to change the colour of it a bit, so it's a bit more greybrown-ish and a bit more faint, darker, or lighter. Also all the "pieces" of the wood could look nice if they were all the same colour (rather than some pieces being lighter etc)

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 8:15 AM
@missroxor thanks,those are a lot of guidelines .I'm gonna try them now

As for the exterior,I was trying to copy a pic but I guess it would look better with a different colour.For the pool i'll use grey slatestones instead

@Kaospilot thanks,I personally think it kinda sucks,mainly because its not finished :o

I'll have to test it to see if the computer would work because IIRC i've never put one under there.The upstairs space is mainly a hallway but i decided to pop in a few items because it looked to empty . I 'll try to change the colour of the fence .

This here is the house I tried to copy,thats why i used the brown fence,but i personally hate it .Also should i remove the pond?I don't like it but i put it there because I always get criticed for landscaping

Thanks guys,I'm gonna try to fix it
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 2:45 PM
Well i did what you guys said,No dados,natural ccolours and materials the fence ect...Here's my progress so far,I absoloutely love the exterior :lovestruc

Front

Livingroom

(I forgot to mention that the house has a kinda indoor garden )

Kitchen (I put in some wood instead)

Pool

I was completely lost here,I had no clue what colours to use here,I just used black and white.

Bathroom(no more fancy wallpaper)

Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 3:32 PM
That looks a lot better.
Have you considered using select pieces of CC (they're actually very easy to keep track of), I find they bring the standard of the house up and add finishing touches.
I recommend Simpossible, simcredible designs and Stylist sims for modern pieces.

I find the easiest way to keep track of CC for an upload is to save the site in your favourites in a folder called something like "sims CC".

I also find a good way to decorate a house is design it for a family (I also enjoying picking a favourite character from a TV series or film so that it can be very detailed) you want to move in so it's tailored towards a purpose
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Sep 2010 at 5:14 PM
@ Mamoa thanks,but i don't use CC in my houses .I personally don't like downloading a house and its littered with CC .I only use CC for my houses .Btw I like the idea of designing it for a character
Scholar
#11 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 6:14 AM
Very pretty! I, personally, liked the pond in front but the swing is more angular and modern. Do you have a children's bedroom for the children who will use the swing? My only suggestions would be to straighten the path from the road to the pool area. (I do this by putting down floor tile, terrain painting in between the tile, then removing the floor tile. Nice straight lines.) Then, maybe widen / smooth the curve for the car to pull into the parking space. It currently looks like a pretty difficult turn to make. The colors are great! The hedge was a good choice for fencing. Oh, and maybe put the dividing line fence in a square for the plants by the pool, then fill the square in with some dirt. At least one of the plants is growing out of stone.
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 7:25 AM
I liked the pond also but its not modern,just brings age to the lot...The swing is for adults .And i wanted to make the path look natural but i'll straighten it out .And i did have dirt before,until i repainted it.
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 9:02 PM
I really like the kitchen and i don't want to do it over,do you think this design is nice ?I personally like it but it dosen't look very modern but then there's no rule saying that modern houses are supposed to have modern interiors

I did over the front more neatly and curvy

Instructor
#14 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 3:59 AM
I would use floor tiles for your walkway, not terrain paint.
And I would get rid of the curtains over the painting in the kitchen, why did you change the living room again, I thought it looked better with the white walls.
I also would use a plain wall and floor for the pool, it looks a bit busy now, because you have that gray stone around the pool as well.

A very modern house on the outside, so it should reflect that on the inside as well.
I love the way it looks now, the exterior if perfect.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 9:05 AM
I changed it because it looked to boring and plain .Well then,off to decorating again
Inventor
#16 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 11:33 AM
This house is really cool. Stands out from a lot of modern houses! I really love the metal brick wall in front, it doesn a lot for the house.
From were I see it it's pretty close to uploading. Maybe just some trees in the front yard or something will do (I love plants outside. Hehe).

Also I'm curious on how you did the top of the house. Is it a half wall?
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 8:17 PM
Thanks .I guess a bit of boxwood,perhaps some wild roses would look good .And it sorta like a halfwall...With the new patch,there is a cheat called ''placefriezes on''which allows you to build foundations on the room,its sooo much more easy than CFE
Inventor
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 11:35 PM Last edited by gabrielorie : 7th Sep 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Well here's another shitty try

I'm doing another design,orange,green and brown and it looks good so far
Instructor
#19 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 2:45 AM
Why did you post this pic if you know it's shitty?
I still think the white one you made was the best and would go well with the rest of the interior, unless you changed that again too.
I'm sorry to say, but this version of the living room is the worst one yet, the colour is horrid, nothing you would see in a modern house.
If you keep changing your mind all the time, you'll never get this house done.
We are trying to help you get the right look, that's what feedback is all about, it would help if you stick with some of the suggestions you are getting.

Instructor
#20 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 2:53 AM
I really liked the original white livingroom the best as well. But having two shelves full of clutter seems a bit too much. Have you considered taking out the His/Hers trophy shelf, and replacing it with a clock? I'm sure I have seen some very modern-looking CC clocks somewhere...

I think there's too much stone around the pool. If it were my house (and I really wish it were because it's so cool!) I would change the pool wall to a solid color that will go well with the stone floors around it.

Orange is my favorite color, and I REALLY like the stainless steel tiling. Beautifully done!
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 10:16 AM
@~Dee~ I was experimenting so i thought i would keep you all up to date with the progress .I don't know why but I think the white looks to plain,but then again i'm not gonna be downloading it,you all are so i guess if you all like it i'll keep it .

@fragglerocks now that you mentioned it,it looks pretty crowded,i'll fix that .And for the pool,what material should i use?I think a different masonry would look good but to keep with the realism i should use tiles...What do you think?And thanks .The tiles weren't supposed to be looking so small so i went with a no cc policy (except windows)

I have one final design that i'm doing,if it dosen't look nice then i'll do the white one
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 11:52 AM
Here's the new front(well landscaping)

The pool (new tiles)

The interior i was talking about(I wanted it to match the exterior)

Instructor
#23 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 1:33 PM Last edited by ~Dee~ : 7th Sep 2010 at 1:38 PM. Reason: adding more
The outside looks nice, the pool looks a lot better and the living room I think is a bit to yellow/orange.
I think the curtains don't fit in a modern house, most of them seem to have blinds or sheer curtains.
That bit of carpet under the window, I think it would look better if you get rid of that all together.
A much improved living room to the last one, nice job.
The shape of that room looks like your other house, that cute little beach cottage you were building, did you finish that yet?

Inventor
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 4:57 PM
Thanks .It does looks to orangeish,its also too bright .I personally liked the white wall but i didn't think it matched the exterior...I'll put 3 of the small blinds,that'll look nice

And yes i did finish it .Its my second most successful upload here .If you want you and download it Here (I'm assuming this is the beach cottage you were reffering to?
Instructor
#25 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 5:45 PM
Love, love, LOVE the pool now! It flows so well with the rest of the house!

The livingroom would be perfect if you took the advice of the previous posters. Tone down the color, remove the extra rug, and add blinds.

I can't see anything else I don't like. Good job!

Please consider taking part in LifesLover's "The Build To Plan" Contest. You'll make new friends and have tons of fun!
Locked thread | Locked by: spladoum Reason: Several good interior decor tips given here.
Page 1 of 2