Replies: 78 (Who?), Viewed: 2123 times.
Page 1 of 4
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 2:43 PM
Default All Things Green
I've waffled for awhile now whether to start this thread or not; I'm done waffling.  I was going to go to Tumblr, but nah.  This thread is open to anybody that wants to share gardening projects, houseplant stuff, seed growing, ect...

My seedlings are in the process of being hardened off.  They're up to a hour and half out of their dome or greenhouse.  These were started from seed on 2/25/21

China Doll

Philodendron Hope
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Apr 2021 at 12:42 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 4th Apr 2021 at 6:02 PM.
It is going to be nice out today, so lots of projects are getting done, including some that were not finished last year.

We're going to finish cleaning out 'The Pit' in front of the house.  There are a few more random oak and pine trees that need to go.  It is too soon to transplant English Ivy, but at least the area will be cleaned out. Of course, there is trash clean up to be had...because people are pigs.

We have a couple of trees beyond the fence line that have developed black fungus.  These trees are sitting on town property, but they're not going to take care of it, so we'll be taking those trees down before the stuff spreads to our plants.  These trees are small, so we don't need a pro to come in and take care of this for us.

We need to finish cleaning up the sucker branches on the Weeping Cherry tree. I removed most of them, but there are a few that need something heavier than hand sheers to remove them.  Sucker branches are branches that grow from either the trunk or branch of a tree.  Tree branches are horizontal, the sucker branches grow vertically.  For the sucker branches that grow from a tree trunk, they also grow vertically, but then produce more sucker branches at the top so it looks like a tiny tree within a tree. All of this growth forces the tree to use more energy than it needs to.  Cleaning them out allows the tree to use energy where it needs to and where we want it to.

We have a bunch of random oak tree saplings growing along the north side of the property. Those are coming down, there is no reason for them to be there.

We need to finish cleaning out the garden near the street.  Like the other side of the yard, there are random oak tree saplings that need to come out.  The ones near this garden have been growing for a couple of years, so they need to chain saw to remove them. Also, more trash needs to be cleaned up because it was hidden under leaves.

I took some Japanese Andromeda runners that had rooted and planted them in a pot yesterday.  I have those cuttings downstairs with a grow light.  I ordered a timer so the lights will turn themselves off and on so I don't forget.  

After all of that is done, the leaf blower is coming out.

Inside the house, the two Pilea Peperomioides or Chinese Money Plants that came in yesterday need baths.  The leaves are supposed to be shiny. The seller sprayed something on them so they're sticky. I don't know what she used on them, but gross.  Pictured below is my new gargoyle who is smaller than that two I have outside, but he still weighs a solid 40-plus pounds as he is made from poured concrete.  He's also not pink, he's under the grow light with the Philodendron Xanadu on the right, with one of the Pilea Peperomioides that can be seen on the left. In the picture, you can see that something on the leaves that doesn't belong there.

EDIT: We got through most of this list; everybody had their own task to do which made things go faster.  The leaves may be hanging out for another day though.

Meanwhile, there is black stuff growing on the Rose of Sharons.  According to my local plant nursery, black fungus is not known to grow on Rose of Sharon, but they can't say for sure unless they can see what I was telling them about.   I'm not going to do anything with either plant until I know what the problem is, but meh regardless.  Those were planted shortly after we bought the house. The idea of losing them is not making me happy. 

I've been getting on Dingus about cleaning things like pruning sheers, ect... lately.  This is a perfect example of why said tools should always be kept clean; it prevents the spread of nasty things even though what happened in this situation has nothing to do with dirty pruning sheers.  Even trimming houseplants should always be done with clean tools and clean hands as things can be spread that way too.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Apr 2021 at 1:42 PM
These pictures would look better if they were taken with a macro lens. I don't have one, nor do I intend to purchase one. The camera I use is a first or second generation Canon Rebel, which makes it really old. A macro lens would cost more than what my camera is worth.  If taking pictures of plants becomes a thing, I'll consider the investment at a later date.

The Lipstick plant that came in last week has settled in. I did not know the leaves on this plant have fuzz on them until I looked at the pictures in Photoshop.

This is a teeny Philodendron Xanadu shoot.  I had this plant in one spot where it sprouted a couple of new leaves, but not much of anything else. Since moving it to the new spot, I'm now seeing this kind of growth.  I can't explain it, the new area gets the same amount of light, humidity, ect...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 4:19 PM

Oak tree leaf that isn't a leaf yet.

The forsythia is in full bloom...
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 7:32 PM
My Monstera deliciosa has been showing signs of stress. The small, lower leaves around the base of the plant have been turning yellow and dying off.   At first I thought perhaps they were not getting enough light, so I've been giving the pot a quarter turn everyday.  After a week or so of that, nothing changed.  Because the plant has doubled in size since I bought it, I decided to add organic liquid ferts at quarter strength every two weeks on top of the worm castings mixed in the soil and waited.  Small leaves still turning yellow and dying, however bigger new leaves are doing okay.

I finally got sick of watching this happen, so I decided to dig deeper and found the problem.

This is part of the soil that came from the Monstera and a few other plants that I've purchased over the past few months.  A person should not be able to make dirt mush balls that hold their shape with soil that houseplants are living in.  It doesn't dry out, roots don't get any air as when the soil does dry out, the soil becomes hard and compacted. Damp soil attracts things like fungus gnats, ( I had a few fly out at my face because they love wet soil and lay lots of eggs in it) causes things like fungus and bacterial problems, not to mention causes root rot, the number one cause of houseplants dying.

The Monstera did have some some roots that died because of the soil the plant was living in. The root rot wasn't severe and the plant will be fine as there were more healthy roots than bad ones, but I'm done with leaving plants in their original soil that they come in.  This does not mean I'm putting them in a bigger pot, it just means getting rid of the 'bad soil' and replacing it.  Up-potting plants when they don't need it also causes root rot as more soil means more moisture. I digress.

All plants are going to live in the Aroid mix that I found the recipe for. It is full of material that breaks down over time, has pumice or small lava rock to prevent the soil from compacting, it's light, and actually dries out.  The only plants I'm not going to soil swap is the Hoyas as they don't like being messed with. If they start to show signs of stress, then I'll change their soil. 

For anybody that doesn't know what fungus gnats are, they look like tiny house flies.  If you tap the side of a potted plant and there are fungus gnats, they'll come flying out.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 5:50 PM

All of the plants I put into the new soil are very happy this morning.  My small Golden Pothos and propagated Silver Satin in particular are really happy, their leaves are sticking up in all different directions.  It is almost as if they're saying "Hallelujah!"

Sticking with the theme of making plants happy, I decided to get the China Doll and Philodendron Hope seedlings into better soil as well since they're going to be living in it anyway.  Pictured above are the Philodendron Hope seedlings that I had in two pots and combined them.  I also put them in a 2" pot so they'd spend more energy growing rather than trying to fill up the 3" pot with roots.   There is new growth coming out, so they're happy.  Allowing them to have fresh air all day and only keeping them covered at night has made a huge difference.

The next round of seeds I start, I'm starting them in smaller pots. I think they'll be better off and have stronger roots.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 11:58 AM
Seed starting round 2.

I'm testing out a new method this time.  It involves putting seeds on damp paper towel, then putting the paper towel in a zip lock bag which is then placed in a warm area.  The bag helps maintain moisture or humidity for the seeds to sprout.  The paper towel is checked daily to make sure that it remains damp until seeds sprout. Once the seeds have sprouted roots, they are removed from the paper towel as if they are left too long, the roots stick to the paper towel making it difficult to remove them. 

From there, the seeds are transplanted into a pot and are either covered with another plastic bag, placed in a 'greenhouse' or whatever method a person decides to use to maintain humidity levels until the sprouts are ready to be hardened off.

I'm testing this with my last 2 packs of Philodendron Hope seeds. They took just over a month to sprout using the pot method.  These seeds are not known to readily sprout and can be finicky. It took just over a month before they sprouted using the pot and soil method. We'll see what happens using this method.

* I soaked the seeds overnight as recommended by the seller. Soaking them makes the outer shells softer so in theory at least, this makes seed sprouting easier.  I haven't tried this with non-finicky seeds, so I don't know how effective this is for seeds that readily spout such as sunflower seeds.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 2:05 PM

Weeping cherry tree is starting to show signs of life.  The flowers are pretty, but they don't last long.

This is the rooted runner of the Japanese Andromedia I dug up and potted a few weeks ago. (?)  I know I posted about it, but time no longer registers in my head.  Anyway,  the stem cuttings I brought in before I found out how to propagate this plant correctly didn't do much. They stayed green, but never sprouted any roots.  This new growth has appeared over the past few days.  I wish the leaves kept that color, what would be awesome.

I did not know if this new growth was a sign of flowers coming or not, so I checked out the mother plant. No flowers, not right now anyway. 

The flowers for this plant pop from the little red bumps that grow along the stem. When I first really looked at this plant, I thought the bumps were bugs. LOL
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 11:49 AM

This is my Heart Leaf Philodendron.   There is nothing special about these plants generally speaking.

They can be easily found. People can spend little or a lot on them depending on how big they are. They're vines, so they love to climb on things and are easy to care for. They like medium light ( no direct sun, it burns their leaves) prefer to dry out between waterings and like to be fed during the growing season.  Depending on where a person lives, the growing season could be year round, so feeding these plants all year in that climate doesn't bother them unless a person overfeeds them. I give mine a shower every time I water it like I do with all of my other plants.  It keeps pests away and allows them to photosynthesize properly.

What makes this one 'special' is the fact that when I got it, most of it was dead from freezing. When I opened the box, the plant was droopy with black leaves and stems.  As I understand it, when plants freeze, it happens from the inside out. This wasn't my fault or the sellers. The plant was packed in a cold bag or thermal bag to protect it from the cold weather.  At the time, I didn't think about saying anything to the seller as it is a philodendron and while they are not made out of iron, I knew it would come back.  In hindsight, I should have contacted the seller just so she would have been aware of what was going on in case anybody else had the same problem. 

I cut the dead stuff off, put this plant along with 2 others ( Philodendron Jade and Dwarf Umbrella) that had the same exact problem under a grow light, in a warm place near a humidifier and waited.  Normally it takes plants about 2 weeks to settle in when I have them shipped.  This trio took over a month and half.  The Dwarf Umbrella came to me with 3 stems, it now has one as the other 2 turned black and died.  There were days I thought none of them would ever sprout new growth.

"Plant people" occasionally talk about how resilient plants are. This usually comes after passive lectures about how hovering over plants and or loving them too much does more harm than good which is true.  When I'm having one of those days where I feel like I'm at odds with everybody and everything,  I count the new leaves on my little Heart Leaf Philodendron.  The only original leaves that came with this plant are the biggest two at the bottom of the pic, the rest is all new growth.

Who sez plants can't teach people things....
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 10:08 PM
I wasn't planning on posting here again today, but thanks to a Etsy shop owner who I won't name,  I'm going to.  Should anybody ask me about said shop in the future, I will tell the person that is asking not to buy plants from this person.  What pisses me off about this whole thing is that I ordered from this same person a couple of weeks ago. Sans the soggy soil problem, there was no problem.

I ordered a Silver Ann pothos and a Hoya Pubicalyx from said shop.  For all my worries about Hoyas, they're are really simple sans a couple of species.  The Hoya is fine, the Silver Ann pothos though looks just like my Silver Satin and then there was what I found in the pot when I went about swapping out the soil.  90% of the stems are not rooted. The seller cut up her plant and stuck a bunch of stems in a pot.  If that wasn't bad enough, she left me with another little surprise.

This thing that you are looking at is called a wet stick.  This is a stem of the supposed Silver Ann that has at least one node to grow roots from ( the root is the white, tooth-looking like thing) and a couple of growth nodes. In this picture, one is the yellow nub and there is another next to it that is white-ish.  This 'stick' has all that it needs to grow into a plant, but this is not what I paid for.  If I wanted a bunch of stems shoved in a pot with a wet stick, I could have done this myself for free and I wouldn't have had to deal with gross soil.  What is in the picture is my soil mix, not hers.

Most if not all the leaf stems that are not rooted should sprout roots in a couple of weeks.  I could pull them out and water propagate them, but I don't like that method.  I'd rather they just root themselves in the soil they are in and be done with it.

Except for a few plant related YT channels I watch, I don't bother with the plant community because it is full to the brim with drama, much like the sims community.  I buy plants and talk about them because I enjoy them; people are not going to crap on that.  This problem though is a small part of the drama that happens within the plant community.  People pull this BS, get clapped on for charging money for sticks and so it goes.

Not all Etsy plant shops do this as I've ordered from another one; I have nothing bad to say.  I have a order coming from that person coming today.  I'm not expecting any surprises, but I wasn't expecting this either, so anything goes at this point.

I've filled all my allotted space for plants, so I'm done ordering whether there more surprises waiting for me or not. All the plants I have need time to grow. When they do, I'll have plants coming out of my ears due to propagating. I'll be sure to post updates on how the growth goes with the stick. It should be a good time as I've never grown a plant this way; it will be a adventure for everybody. 
Screenshots
Scholar
#11 Old 16th Apr 2021 at 10:27 PM
@Gargoyle Cat I love your pics, they make me happy! Cos a e s t h e t i c And also, is that a gargoyle in the background of one of your pics? It kind of looks like one of those grumpy naked cats
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Apr 2021 at 2:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa1500
@Gargoyle Cat I love your pics, they make me happy! Cos a e s t h e t i c And also, is that a gargoyle in the background of one of your pics? It kind of looks like one of those grumpy naked cats

Thank you. I've been fighting with myself over getting a new camera. I'm really, really tempted.

Yes, that is a gargoyle. He's one of four.  I have 2 outside and now two in the house.  There is the one that is pictured and I have a smaller that hangs out with my Fiddle Leaf Fig and Rhaphidophora tetrasperma AKA Mini Monstera.

He was picked up from our local garden center that sells all kinds of stuff. He has a spot on the right side of his face or near his nose that looks weird.  I don't know if the mold they used to make him had something wrong with it, maybe a air bubble got into the concrete, I don't know.  It isn't obvious when there isn't a light shining over him, the plant light causes a shadow which makes his face look weird. He can look  grumpy, he's a gargoyle.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Apr 2021 at 10:08 AM
I'm not going to carry on about what happened yesterday with my plant order, but I did want to make sure my eyeballs were not messing with me.

This is a leaf from my Silver Satin.  This plant is roughly 3-4 years old.  Leaf size doesn't matter when making comparisons,  I'm looking at leaf color and variegation.

Here is the plant I was sent.  The orange spots are leaf damage; this is not a Silver Ann or a Silvery Ann,  it's a Silver Satin.  The base color of leaves for a Silvery Ann is a brighter green and the variegation is completely random with some leaves barely having any variegation at all as seen here....  https://garden.org/plants/photo/498000/

When the plant I was sent sets down solid roots, drops its damaged leaves of which there are many, ect... I'll combine this plant with the Silver Satin plant I propagated from the mother plant pictured above. If I really want a Silvery Ann, I'll contact my local garden center and have them get me one if they don't have them in stock when I call them.  They have a greenhouse made specifically for house plants, so it shouldn't be that difficult to get my hands on one as they are not expensive or rare.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Apr 2021 at 7:47 PM
This post is a 'before' and hopefully there will be great improvement for the 'after'. It is going to be awhile before we get to the after though.

This is a Milky Way Cast Iron plant.  I ordered it because I wanted a plant that would deal with living in the corner of my office where no other plant seems to like it there.  These plants are sold as 'survives in low light' so people stick them in the darkest corners of their rooms, then complain when the plant doesn't thrive.  Low light does not mean no light.  Any plant that is sold as 'low light' will not only survive, but will also thrive in medium light.  If people want a plant just to shove in a dark corner and never grow, there is no shortage of fake plants on the market these days....

With that out of the way, I'm not being that person.  The plant has its own plant light which will be on for at least 8 hours a day, so no neglect here.  This does not mean there are no problems though. This plant is supposed to be dark green, not pale green. It has crinkled leaves which means the grower was not watering it ( it likes moist soil, not soggy feet) and at some point had bug problems as seen in picture 2.

I never expect plants to arrive in perfect condition. I don't expect the plants that already live in my house to be perfect either, but they are taken care of.  I can't fix the damaged leaves, but new ones will grow in. As for the color, I give my plants a weak dose of cleated iron mixed in with their also diluted liquid fertilizer, so I might be able to get some of the plant's original color back.  That is going to take time as I only feed my plants every 2 or so weeks with liquid ferts. All of them get worm castings which are replenished monthly.

As for the bug problem, whatever the pest was, it is gone now.  I ordered a gallon of horticultural spray that is mixed with water for all of my plants as it is nearing that time of year when things get in the house that I don't want in the house, nor chewing on my plants.

Here is the other plant that came with the Cast Iron plant.  It is a Pothos Pictus Exotica which for the most part looks okay, but it still has the abused look about it.  I could understand possible leaf damage around the edges; I don't know what the deal is with the big tear on the leaf to the left.  Both plants were packed well when shipped and had no wiggle room to flop around the box.

I'm just going to call this what it has been... a shit week for plants.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Apr 2021 at 1:58 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 18th Apr 2021 at 5:32 PM.

Boop!

Chinese Money Plant ( not to be confused with the Chinese Money Tree) or Pilea peperomioides

I love this plant; I don't know why.  It is also a plant that doesn't like being messed with. You can water it, feed it, remove dead leaves and other general houseplant stuff, but the minute you start messing about with leaves for no particular reason, it drops them.  Don't be messin' with the Pilea peperomioides.

This is called a Fern Button, but that sounds weird so I call it a Button Fern. The latin name is Nephrolepis Cordifolia 'Duffii'.

Ferns were another type of plant that I've avoided for many years after killing a few Boston Ferns.  Now that I know what I'm doing, they're not so bad although I'll never buy another Boston Fern.  Ferns like moist soil, keep them out of direct sunlight as it burns their leaves and when humidity is low, give them a humidifier. 

EDIT: I've spent some time trying to figure out what is going on with the Milky Way Cast Iron plant.  From what I can tell, the problem is iron deficiency.  This can be caused by a number of things, but since I have no idea what kind of soil the plant was growing in before it was shipped, I'm going with my gut and supplementing the plant with iron until I see improvement.

Quote:
Iron chlorosis affects many kinds of plants and can be frustrating for a gardener. An iron deficiency in plants causes unsightly yellow leaves and eventually death. So it is important to correct iron chlorosis in plants. Let’s look at what does iron do for plants and how to fix systemic chlorosis in plants.

What Does Iron Do for Plants?

Iron is a nutrient that all plants need to function. Many of the vital functions of the plant, like enzyme and chlorophyll production, nitrogen fixing, and development and metabolism are all dependent on iron. Without iron, the plant simply cannot function as well as it should.

Symptoms for Iron Deficiency in Plants

The most obvious symptom of iron deficiency in plants is commonly called leaf chlorosis. This is where the leaves of the plant turn yellow, but the veins of the leaves stay green. Typically, leaf chlorosis will start at the tips of new growth in the plant and will eventually work its way to older leaves on the plant as the deficiency gets worse.

Other signs can include poor growth and leaf loss, but these symptoms will always be coupled with the leaf chlorosis.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pl...is-and-iron.htm
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Apr 2021 at 12:03 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 19th Apr 2021 at 12:34 PM.
A plan is coming together for the Cast Iron plant.   It was given a dose of iron via watering and iron foliar spray yesterday.  I can't keep giving it doses of iron via watering as that will lead to overwatering.  The objective is not to kill the plant while trying to save it.  Foliar sprays can be done every 3 days as long as it isn't 90 degrees and the plant is kept out of direct sunlight or really bright light. I also read that humidity helps plants out while being treated, so for now, the plant has been moved into the livingroom as I don't want a humidifier set up in my office.

I also read that I will not be able to get the plant back to its original color, that should come with new growth.  With that in mind, below is a reference link showing what color the foliage of this plant should be.  I will also be taking pictures just for observation purposes.  For the sake of being consistent, I will be taking pictures in the same area so we'll be seeing more of my obnoxious English Ivy in the background.

This picture was taken on 4/17

This was taken this morning... 4/19

I didn't think there was a difference, but there is.  Obviously there is nothing I can do about the bug damage, the spots where the leaves have been cut, ect... but it is looking healthier which is the goal.

Reference link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milky-Wa...6-Pot/128862356
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Apr 2021 at 12:38 PM

Is this a Pearls & Jade or a Pothos N'Joy?  I honestly don't know as I can't tell the difference; they look exactly the same.   Both of them are in the Pothos family, have the same growing habits, their care is the same, ect... Regardless of its name, IMO this the daisy of the pothos family as it is a happy-looking plant.  This was even happy looking even after being in a box for 5 days.  It didn't look all sad and pulled in the Pictus Exotica I got the other day.

Plants that have variegated leaves need more light than their all green relatives.  The variegation means the plant has less chlorophyll for photosynthesis.  They shouldn't be left to have their leaves fry in the sun, but brighter light and or diffused sunlight keeps them from reverting and variegation bright.  My bigger philodendrons and pothos get morning sun with indirect bright light most of the day.  The Golden Pothos and Philodendron Brasil have a touchy-feely thing going on; they've taken to trying to grow into each others pots.  I wouldn't mind except they are over my head so when I go to take them down to water them or whatever, there is a risk that one plant is going to end up on my head.

On a non-touchy feely note, I figured out yesterday that my Neptune's Harvest Fish and Seaweed fertilizer I've been using is incomplete in terms of micro nutrients.  Plants need things like iron, calcium, and so on.  I'm going to use up what I have for the plants outdoors, then transition the houseplants to something new.  I'm going to stick with the Neptune's Harvest line, but I'm switching things up so I don't end up with problems. I'll post more about that later. 
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Apr 2021 at 8:40 PM
The Silvery Ann that is not a Silvery Ann has decided to sprout new growth while in quarantine. See the green nub in the middle of the plant?  I keep all new plants in a certain spot on the kitchen counter under a grow light for about a week. 

Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Apr 2021 at 12:39 PM

It was really nice out yesterday. The Japanese Maple decided to open its leaf buds.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Apr 2021 at 10:33 PM
The root for the wet stick turned to mush.  I've since learned that I planted it the wrong way, whoopsie.

I'm having issues with my small Golden Pothos.  The plant is healthy, it is spitting out new growth like all the other plants in the house.  No yellow leaves, questionable roots or bugs, it isn't being over watered or over fertilized but yet it is reverting or losing it's variegation and the new leaves that are popping out are small.

Since I couldn't figure this problem out, I ordered a light meter.  I had to spend time reading reviews as not all light meters read light from LED bulbs which all of my plants are.  With the meter, I found the problem.  What looked like a bright spot to my eyeballs wasn't bright at all at 20 foot candles; that is really low.  This would also explain why my small Silver Satin went from growing in a mound shape to being really leggy as that too wasn't getting enough light.

It will be a while before I start seeing normal growth and variegation again, but now I know where not to put plants. The meter has been the best $25.00 or so that I've spent in a long time and would recommend any plant owner to have one in their plant toolbox. 
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Apr 2021 at 7:07 PM
It is a big day for the seedlings; they've been removed from the 'greenhouse'.   I haven't been covering them at night; they haven't shown any signs of stress because of it.

The China Dolls have their mature leaves. They will continue to fill in, out and up.   The Philodendron Hope ( the round pot) has a few more sets of leaves to go through before it gets its mature adult leaves.  I'm not sure how long that will take as I wasn't given a time frame.  I'll post a update when there is something to show. 

I'm not doing anything special with these.  All of them are being fed worm castings, they get 10-plus hours of light, I keep them near a humidifier and water them when their their pots are about 3/4 dry.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Apr 2021 at 3:11 PM
I've got a lot of grunt work planned for this upcoming week, but whether it gets done or not depends on the weather.  It is going to be raining all day today which is fine by me, we need the rain.

The hosta garden in the backyard needs to be dismantled and put back together again.  I thought a couple of years ago that it would be nice to have Lily of the Valley as a 'filler plant' among the hosta.  Little did I know, the Lily of the Valley would take over the hosta; not cool.   In order to deal with the Lily of the Valley and not kill the hosta in the process, I had to find something to stick the hosta in temporarily.  I thought about buying larger grower pots, but went with 5 gallon fabric bags instead.  They have handles which will help with making them portable, they won't hold a bunch of water if the plants get soaked from rain, ect...  I have never used this before so it is either going to go well or not.

Since all of the hosta are going to be dug up, there are a few that could be divided.  Now would be the time to get that done since I'm digging them up anyway.

We also have some hibiscus that need to be moved.  I don't know where I'm not going to move them to.  Also have some lilies that need a new home, otherwise they are going to be viewed as grass and destroyed with the lawnmower.

There are some serious holes that need to be back-filled from where large tree limbs and such came down the other day when the tree guys were here.

As for the non-grunt things:  The Japanese Andromedia cutting is spitting new leaves on a regular basis now, and then there is the Japanese Maple cutting.  I spent a hour or so one day last week clipping all the dead stuff out of the weeping cherry last week.  Since I had the clippers out, I also checked the Japanese Maple.  It had a small sucker branch, so I clipped it and stuck it in soil.  It looks like it might be doing something, but I'll have a better idea in a week or so.

I said I wasn't going to buy more plants, but I found some Cebu Blue; the houseplant I've been looking for. They're not rare, just hard to find right now as people buy them up when they are available. It will be interesting to see what happens to the plant hobby once Rona is no longer a thing... I digress.  The person I usually buy plants from has extra large one for sale, but I'm not willing $250.00 on a plant.   The place I ordered from is a nursery I've never heard of and from what I can tell, they're into selling cuttings rather than full plants.  With that means is I paid what I normally would for a full plant for this cutting.  I'm not proud of that, but they're not a Etsy shop and from what I've seen, they sell healthy stuff. 

Since this will be a cutting I'll be dealing with, I have a plan.  Cebu Blue is a vine, so I'll be allowing my cutting to grow out, then I'll clip it, then re-pot the clippings back in to the same pot. I'll repeat this process until I have what will be a full plant.  It is going to take awhile, but maybe by October I'll have something that resembles a plant rather than a stem with a few leaves on it.

Assuming Amazon doesn't do something stupid, the fabric bags should be in tomorrow which means I can get a start on this list on Tuesday.  Spending time away from the computer and all things that plug in sounds good to me.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Apr 2021 at 3:25 PM
I wasn't planning on talking about the Japanese Maple cutting for a few weeks, but I accidentally dumped over the pot while being nosy (sp?), so I decided to take advantage of the moment.

The main cutting is on the left, the thing I'm happy about is on the right. There are tiny roots sprouting from the bottom which is a good sign.   I've never tried to grow a tree from a cutting; it will be interesting to see how it goes.  The soil the cutting was in sucked ( don't waste money on pre-bagged cactus soil.  It doesn't drain well and stays wet for way too long) so it is now in the Aroid mix that I use for everything.

Since buying a light meter, I moved some plants around so they would get better light.  The Marble Queen is 'thanking' for my efforts by pushing out leaves with more variegation.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 6:44 PM
The Cebu Blue I ordered should be in tomorrow or Friday. Until then, I have these lovely ladies sitting on my counter. The Silvery Anne came in today.

Silvery Anne
Scindapsus pictus 'Silvery Anne'

Pink Syngonium
Arrowhead Vine 'Coral'

Buying plants from reputable nurseries always cost more, but its worth it.  They don't have holes in their leaves, they're not stems shoved into a pot with no roots, they have been properly fed, ect...
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 29th Apr 2021 at 6:33 PM

These cuttings are annoying me. I don't know if it is the actual cuttings which is silly or that I'm still annoyed by the situation surrounding these cuttings ( these are the stems I was sent by the Etsy seller who told me these were Silvery Anne) but either way, it is time to try something new.  One stem has a few tiny roots, the other 3 do not.

What is pictured is called a "propagation box".  Propagation boxes can be made from pretty much any plastic container. I had a few extra plastic boxes laying around ( it does have a lid) so this what I'm using.  Inside the box are the cuttings, sphagnum moss and a jelly jar full of water. The water is there is maintain humidity, but the moss should be checked daily to make sure it doesn't dry out or get too wet from condensation.  Right now, the moss is damp after spraying it.

Internet claims that propagating this way is the next best thing to water propagation. I'll be checking the box daily for moisture levels as mentioned above, but will only check the stems for roots every few days. The roots only need to be about a inch long before potted, so we're not looking for a full grown plant here; just something to work with that won't rot.  I've already trimmed these stems once.
Screenshots
Page 1 of 4