Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2011 at 5:56 AM
I Desperately Want to Mesh!
Ever since I found this site I've been crazy wanting to make my own meshes for furniture and decor.

But with TSRW and Blender I'm sadly aware that you can only move vertices of furniture objects, which might be fine if I could even do this, except I still get this the "Error:Index was outside the bounds of the array" and am prompted to check if I have the right amount of vertices when I've only moved 2 or three vertices! (I saw it said on one forum that creating the mesh in blender, exporting, importing to milkshape, exporting again and then importing tsr works but this did not work for me.)

Is there any way I can work around the same-amount-of-vertices rule? Based on some of the furniture mods I've seen I know there has got to be some way... Please help this is driving me nuts. I'm so frustrated!!!

I'm really, very sorry if there are already thread concerning this I couldn't tell from browsing through the threads, and I've done at least a dozen google searches, many of them pulling up threads from this site and I still wasn't able to find a solution.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 25th May 2011 at 6:24 AM
TSRW doesn't support meshing with Blender. It is possible to use TSRW with Blender if you transition your items from the game, through MS, and into Blender by converting your item to obj format.

If you want to use Blender alone you need to use s3oc, s3pe, and the blender tools. S3OC and S3PE can be found here: http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforum/index.php

and Blender plugin here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=433882
The other one
#3 Old 25th May 2011 at 8:10 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread but since we're already talking about it, I tried following a couple of tutorials for meshing with Milkshape yonks ago but realised I was too much of an IT biff to wrap my head around them. I've been working on some basic things lately to build my experience and get comfortable using s3oc, S3PE and blender etc and think I'm ready to re-try meshing but I can only find tutorials for Milkshape and would really like to use blender. Are they similar enough that someone (a beginner) would be able to follow a milkshape tutorial using blender and not get totally lost?

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Alchemist
#4 Old 25th May 2011 at 12:20 PM
There's no big difference in the S3 related part of the process. Essentially you're just cloning an object, exporting the mesh from the package, changing the mesh, and overwriting the old mesh with your new one. All the steps in S3OC and S3PE and all the portions of the object that need to be changed (typically 1-4 lod files and 1-4 imgs) are the same also. The Blender plugins have directions for their use in the download thread for them...this is the part that's somewhat different than using MS but if you're familiar with Blender it shouldn't give you any trouble.
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 25th May 2011 at 12:39 PM
Unfortunate there isn't much info on TSRW and the Blender WSO plugin.
For some it works while others have error after error....

If the objects dont have bones you best use the obj format or try the fbx importer(if blender has a export plugin for it)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th May 2011 at 1:16 AM Last edited by zippythewildone : 30th May 2011 at 1:28 AM.
Thank you so much OrangeMittens! That's exactly what I needed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th May 2011 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
Are they similar enough that someone (a beginner) would be able to follow a milkshape tutorial using blender and not get totally lost?

There are plenty of meshing tutorials for blender on youtube. That's where I learned everything I know... I wouldn't say that blender is similar to milkshape but once you learn the basic hotkeys (E for Extrude, R for Rotate, S for Scale, G for Grab/Move, if you want to do any of them in a particular direction you hit the hotkey, then its axis i.e. S Y) you can do A LOT.

If you're ever watching a youtube tutorial and it doesn't say what hotkeys they're using check the description of the video, and then try looking it up on google.
Alchemist
#8 Old 30th May 2011 at 2:08 AM
When choosing your Blender tutorials remember that there's been a lot of changes made to Blender recently. Make sure the tutorial you're watching or reading is for the current version or you can definitely expect some differences in process which can become frustrating if you're not aware why the tutorial's instructions seem to not be working.

This is a link to all the hotkeys in Blender 2.5. It's been out a little while and predated 2.57 (which is the version you need to use the current version of the s3 Blender tools I linked above) so if something seems not to be working it's best to check at a Blender forum for current information.

http://www.box.net/shared/amb5f46k6x