Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#26 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 3:26 PM
I didn't really see anything wrong with the mapping before you changed it.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 4:54 PM
It's only a light stretch/blur in the pattern. I did not notice it myself before I changed to fabric-type ornamental patterns and compared to EA objects. I just want to create high-quality objects so I wished to correct it.

Truthfully, I think I can live with the stretch, but I hate that I have started to fear to touch the UV maps at all. When this bug happens, if I have not made really strict set of save files I will have to start the whole mapping again. I have mapped these 2 objects probably over 20 times during the last two weeks. It kinda gets old after a while. It would help if I knew what I do wrong. Now I feel that every time I have the map just as I want it, it stops working.

At some point I thought that it's because I put the maps on top of each other, and the points that were separated in mesh are touching each other in the map, but sometimes I get this just by doing some scales or rotates.

Do you all get your UV-maps correct on the first try and never have to remap or rearrange again? Or do you keep your mesh files so organized that you do not need to start up from scratch to prevent this happening? Or am I the only one who has this problem?
Sockpuppet
#28 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 4:56 PM
You can place parts on top of eachother and you can use a bigger texture size if you like just make sure you update the mask(and overlay/spec or stencils when used) also.
Mappin can be a pain, try a car
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 10:03 PM Last edited by misukisu : 1st Oct 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added details
Thanks for encouragement! I have been fighting with this one whole evening more, and by remapping and remapping again I can make the erroneous side move place, but never disappear (while the mapping being what I want).

Here is the latest try, where the error appears on the bottom of the drawers (this is the 2-drawer unit of the same Muurame series)

Can some of you try if you can do what I am trying to?

In the attachment you can find my package and the blender file for high poly mesh. The Blender file comes with the problematic UV mesh parts selected.

If you generate package using this mesh, the texture is fine.

However, I want the selected parts to the location that is baked for them. In the following picture the parts are at their correct place.

Can you get them moved like that without getting the UV map messed up?

I have been moving and rotating those 2 faces for quite a long time, but every time when they are at their places, the bug appears.

EDIT: This is a new project where I have edited only the high poly mesh. So multiplier etc. have not been set yet.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  kakkonen.rar (94.7 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Description: blender file and sims 3 package
Instructor
#30 Old 2nd Oct 2011 at 3:32 AM
You can only put parts on top of each other if they are exactly the same, otherwise they should be mapped separately.
I think your problem is that the sides of your drawers are attached to the front of the drawers on your UV map, you should have 6 parts, front, back and 4 sides, all mapped separately.

I haven't looked at your mesh because I don't use Blender.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Sockpuppet
#31 Old 2nd Oct 2011 at 4:15 AM
im not a Blender user either but made a quick edit in Milkshape
Is a obj file
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  kakkonen.7z (1.4 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 2nd Oct 2011 at 9:07 AM Last edited by misukisu : 2nd Oct 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added link to S3PE development thread
Oh, BloomsBase, I could hug you for this! Your map works, and thanks to you I finally found out what is wrong. I never thought to take a look at the item in Milkshape. The UV map gets distorted in s3m2b export (or actually, in import to S3PE).

This is how my map looks for real:

As you can see, some parts are all over the place.

If I export from S3PE I can see the problem in both Blender and Milkshape, but I can only correct it in Milkshape. Whatever I do in Blender results in the problem getting back to UV map.

I think this is a bug.

This workflow results in normal looking map in Blender:
1. Export to s3m2b
2. Import the just saved s3m2b back

But this workflow shows the messed up map in Blender:
1. Blender export to s3m2b
2. Import the s3m2b into S3PE 3. Export from the S3PE into s3m2b
4. Import the s3m2b file back to Blender

I am not sure where the problem is, but as the first workflow does not produce the problem, I am going to report this to S3PE .

In the attachment you can find the s3m2b files to reproduce the bug.
You can use the .package file from my previous post for importing if needed.
To produce the bug:
1. Import s3m2b into Blender to see that the UV map is OK
2. Import s3m2b into S3PE 3. Save the package
4. Export back to either s3m2b or s3asc
5. View the messed up map in Blender or Milkshape

Anyway, I am SOooo happy that I got this solved and can now concentrate on creating my stuff instead of remapping my stuff over and over again. Huge thanks to everybody!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  MLOD 00000 (Highpoly).rar (3.3 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: s3m2b files to repeat the problem
Page 2 of 2