Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TS3 Custom Patterns - Retropop!

by HystericalParoxysm Posted 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:01 AM - Updated 3rd Jun 2009 at 2:38 PM by HystericalParoxysm

141 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 132 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 3 of 6
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:24 PM
Thanks! I installed into the Mods/Packages. I also have the no intro mod which is working fine so it seems that folder placement is OK, but can't seem to find where the patterns are. Could some one help, I tried the CAST but no luck. I'm not using the c drive but a secondary drive to play the sims 3.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Minstrel: The first problem you have is that patterns are NOT .png files. So extracting and modifying them will achieve nothing. :P

Riiight ;-) That is an essential difference! And as I see, the tutorial is over my head, so I'll say 'grats to the people working on this and wait to see what you come up with.
Test Subject
#53 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:35 PM
Awesome !!! It works ...Yay !!! Thank you !
Test Subject
#54 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:21 PM Last edited by ncrabs : 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:36 PM. Reason: more info...
It works great on my Mac. Thankyou so much!

I discovered you can't use folders within the newly formed "Packages" file. The new pattern package files can't be in a folder for the patterns to show up in my game .

The "Installing package Files" system in Wiki works for Mac also. http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...g_Package_Files

Use Finder... Go to Applications
Right Click on Sims3 (Green Diamond icon)
Choose "Show Package Contents"

Contents/Resources/Transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods/Packages
Test Subject
#55 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:25 PM
Thank you !!!!!
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 8:53 PM Last edited by yeabil : 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ncrabs
It works great on my Mac. Thankyou so much!

I discovered you can't use folders within the newly formed "Packages" file. The new pattern package files can't be in a folder for the patterns to show up in my game .

Thanks, that is why it wasn't showing up! I was putting them in the Package folder.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:49 PM
Woohoo!!!! A bajillion thanks to you! ^_^ for the past several weeks, one thought has been on my mind "What about custom textures?" haunting me day and night T.T when the game came out, i couldnt even rest easy/enjoy until i saw some out there... o.O;; I thought it'd take a few weeks to see them, but wow!!!! Here ya have them, so fast XD and so cool!!! I'm big on the retro stuff, lol so I'm as happy as can be, especially love the flowers ^_^ and now i can rest easy and enjoy my first CC download for the game. *feels at home now* lol
Field Researcher
#58 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:02 PM
Well I don't have it yet but I was curious, amazing work once again.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:35 PM
Very nice! Pancakes are truly wonderous. Why can't my pancakes do that?^^
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#60 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:14 AM
Kewl! You guys are FAST!

Way faster than my non-arrived-pre-order that I'm still waiting for.... ~grumble~
Test Subject
#61 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:43 AM
Awesome job with this mod, I have a question regarding the tutorial...
Does it require having the R,G,B,A paths being set?
As in, I have a lot of tile pictures (like windows background images type of thing)
That I would love to import purely as they are, to use as clothing prints etc.
It is possible to just import that some how, with out the ability to edit the different colors?
For eg: http://www.creativetempest.com/wp-c...tokidoki-13.jpg
(although that would need to be edited a little to make it a proper tile type image)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:51 AM
jellygoose21 - It would look like CRAP if you tried to use that. Really. We tried it in testing. The only things that can work without major editing are basic single-colour fabrics and woods and such - that is, stuff like this.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#63 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:46 AM
Arr, ok. fair enough. On a similar note: Do all the R,G,B,A channels need to be used?
As in, if an editor has an image with only 2 colors, is it just a matter of dropping a channel or 2?
Or is this another kettle of fish?
Test Subject
#64 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:49 AM
Thanks, you rock! Kepp up the good work
Test Subject
#65 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:40 AM
OMG. Sims 3 doesn't come out until tomorrow in NZ and you're already making beautiful things.
Test Subject
#66 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:49 AM
Beautiful patterns! I especially love the peacock feather one. I'l definitely be using all of these, thank you!!
Eminence Grise
#67 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:12 AM
zOMG :O I was sure you guys would get this but I was predicting, like, weeks or months not days :D

I'm REALLY happy, cause this is something I can do worked in vector apps for years, better at it than bitmap editing actually :D
Field Researcher
#68 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:59 AM
Very nice! They look fantastic. And double thanks for pointing us in the direction of the tutorial.
Test Subject
#69 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:30 AM
Woah... those are some awesome patterns! I haven't got the game yet but when I do I'll make sure to use these. Thanks for all your hard work HP!!
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 7:54 AM
Thanks for the patterns too bad I will never have the time to learn all the programs required to do this myself.

The tutorial is way over my head and I thought I understood graphics programs. I just want to make a few 2 color patterns and I can't figure it out. I just want a plain simple background with the Pearl Jam stickman as the pattern or a plain background with the Nine Inch Nails logo or the AIR flag. I have just spent hours trying to make it work but I don't know enough about vectoring images to make this work. I feel like a real loser right now.

I'm pretty disappointed in the game now because I thought it would be easier to make custom items with patterns but since it's so hard for a normal person to make the patterns I can't make anything for my game now like I could for Sims 2.
Instructor
#71 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 10:25 AM
Love them! Thank you so much. =) Now I just have to get the game...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#72 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:14 AM
jellygoose: If you only want 2 colours (background + one changeable) then you need to edit the Red and Green channels, save as RGB (not RGBA) and use the 2 pallete option. 3 colours is RGB and so on without Alpha and 4 is RGBA.

Technically it's possible to get a *5th* non-changeable colour (via the background fill) but thats getting complicated.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#73 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:31 AM
I can only find five of them (under 'abstract' if i remember). I cant find the other three... Where should they appear?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:37 AM
Netich - They're all under Abstract. They may not all be together - in my game, some are at the beginning and some are at the end, for no discernable reason.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#75 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 1:03 PM
Thanks heaps Delphy, I think I might give this a go on the weekend! Hopefully can get something working and bring some custom patterns ive been missing from TS2.
Page 3 of 6