Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:50 AM
I agree with the tc, the lack of animations is pathetic and it seems i can't even drive the 105k car i bought, my sim always takes his work vehicle instead of driving the car i command him to.
Advertisement
Former Incubator of Tiberius
retired moderator
#27 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Grahf84
i can't even drive the 105k car i bought, my sim always takes his work vehicle instead of driving the car i command him to.

Now that is a pricey car to have just sitting in the driveway!!!

SIXAMSIMS @ TUMBLR
SIXAMSIMS @ LJ
- S2/S3 Sims For Download
Tiberius Arthur Glover - 06/09/09 / Atticus Oliver Leigh Glover - 08/12/09
Inventor
#28 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:00 AM
ohhww... reading all these threads about how rubbish the actual games is, is really worrying me... i just bought a new tower just to play it... (and it's stupid windows vista AND IT SUCKS!!!! XP was way better!) it's doing my nut in.

but maybe it's just because it was hyped up too much, just try to think of it as a completely edifferent game, instead of a newer virsion of sims 2, that's what i do when movie sequels come out and there good, just not in the same way as the first.
it's still dissapointing, but you get over it
Instructor
#29 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by starved4pizza
I can't believe people are complaining about how similar Sims look in this game... Yet have NO problem with cookie cutter Sims from 1 & 2. :/ The mind boggles...

hmm

People complaining about all the sims looking similar.

This seems to have been on the thread. Which then means I am referring back onto something already said.

Before this persons comment no had mentioned this, yet no one is claling into question this comment. As this is a thread about WHY people are unhappy with the game. No one has mentioned paraphrasing with regards to this either.

Also linus what really has got me about what you have said is you are ultimately saying

'When A mod points something like this out let it slide'

Hmm no rational reason given for this. You do not dispute that I am referring to something earlier mentioned, even though in fact it is on the same thread. You are simply saying they are a mod, I am a mod. You should let this slide as you are not.
So other than I am a mod and therefore I must be right what other possible conclusion can be drawn?

You do not, and forgive as this is way off topic now, give any other reason than your status as a mod. If a police officer told me to go not watch another police officer bludgeoning someone on the street just saying we are police officers. Would it then make that appropriate? I think not and the same is true of your status as moderators. Just to say 'we are mods just let this slide' is actually not appropriate. It is simply 2 people using position as a bullying tactic. I do not give in to bullies.

Give me a reasoned response and if I am wrong I will admit it. but in this case it has been mentioned, it is on topic. My comments stand.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#30 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:19 AM
Sidheed, drop it. This is off topic for this thread and just silly. You're getting way bent out of shape over something silly. The "quotes" you gave were not present in this thread - Manga noted that, and then it just went derailed from there.

Let's all play with our pixel dollies and get back on topic, shall we? Any further posts about that same conversation will be deleted.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#31 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starved4pizza
I can't believe people are complaining about how similar Sims look in this game... Yet have NO problem with cookie cutter Sims from 1 & 2. :/ The mind boggles...

Is on this thread.

Sorry.
Test Subject
#32 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by supersimoholic
ohhww... reading all these threads about how rubbish the actual games is, is really worrying me... i just bought a new tower just to play it... (and it's stupid windows vista AND IT SUCKS!!!! XP was way better!) it's doing my nut in.

but maybe it's just because it was hyped up too much, just try to think of it as a completely edifferent game, instead of a newer virsion of sims 2, that's what i do when movie sequels come out and there good, just not in the same way as the first.
it's still dissapointing, but you get over it

sadly, sims 3 feels nothing like sims at all. it is like playing a totally new game; a poor immitation of the sims. ea spent way too much time hyping the game and managed to take out a lot of what made ts2 so great. you may love it but i'm sooooo disappointed that they didn't do a better job.

Theorist
#33 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:03 AM
I agree with the above post.
Sims 3 requires (at least for me, forgive me, I am not a youngster) a learning curve. A lot of it seems new. Annoyingly new and I want to play not 'learn the ropes' so I was a bit frustrated after I shut down my computer last night.

I was addicted to Sims 1 and seriously addicted to 2 when I first came out. I am not saying Sims 3 is bad, but when you want to jump in *yet not miss anything* you can feel a bit overwhelmed. I am 'not hooked' like with the last production of Sims but we shall see.

As far as skins, cartoony looks, whatever, I have no doubt our modding community will take care of those in the future.

I'm not UNhappy...just a bit 'bombarded' at the mo. I also have to tweak my graphics and find out a money cheat ASAP because my Sim's house is very dark, he is out of money and it's frustrating.

Do something I never do...read the booklet for how to play!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Instructor
#34 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:10 AM
motherlode still works.

You cna do it after selecting the family. The way to enter the cheats is still the same.
Theorist
#35 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:27 AM
Thanks!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sidheed
Is on this thread.

Sorry.

You are a brave man

Right back on topic, Whilst I understand some people (inculding me) were expecting more from such a over hyped game, I think there is so much hidden in the game, that could allow it to become a great game over time. To me comparing the sims 2 base game with the sims 2 base game+expansions, is a huge step, and many new things (inculding changed gameplay) were inculded in expansion packs. Another thing, is I actually love the new look of Sims, they just seem a bit more realistic to me, and I honestly think that the sims 3 will grow to be just as successfull as the sims 2.

Hosting my first contest "Style and Culture" :D
Find it here: Style and culture contest
Test Subject
#37 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:09 PM
I like and don't like the sims 3. First of all, I hate how EA barely gave us any objects, hairstyles, clothing, etc. to use. Yes, there are a lot of color options, but not a lot of choice for the objects themselves.

plus, how many of these objects are identical to those in the Sims 2. Quite a few...

They have some nice stuff but I know they are doing this so we will be suckered into buying a ton of stuff from the Store. Greedy!!!

I was a bit disapointed with this game, but it is still much better than the Sims 2 in a lot of ways. It's going to be spectacular when the modding community has actually began to create stuff!!!

I definitely found gameplay to be quicker than the Sims 2. I like the seamless neighbourhood. BUt there are some things they need to fix. Like no changing tables, pool tables, etc.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:34 PM
i don't like how there is no folder to put images in and then paint them, other than that the game is 9.5 out of 10, for me once you've had sims 3 theres no going back :D
would maybe have liked more clothes but defatiy need more hairs!
Instructor
#39 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:38 PM
I am very unhappy about the Sims 3 I have been addicted Sense day 1 but this game is just horrably frustrating the speed is sllllooooowwww even at it's highest speed and how you got to touch the object just right for you to get any action out of it but the thing that get me the most is how you got to do gymnastics to just move the screen to see what your sims are up to in the next room instead of just a slight move of the mouse
so I think I'll just stick to the sims 2 for now until the EX pack comes out
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 3:59 PM
Just thought I'd offer my two cents too. I think I agree with most of the posters here, but I think that it will get better, hopefully.

Playing Ts3 made me realize the things I love most about ts2 came in later expansions. I love playing kids in University. I love taking my Sims to community lots. I love building apartments. I like ceilings. >.<

There was a lot of good that came with the game.

Pro: Your Sim is able to go anywhere in town and visit neighbours just like that.
Con: but there is no animation to get into a car, have the car back out of the driveway and drive away, same with being on a bike. Your sim just disappears on the side of the road and ends up on the vehicle.

Pro: Your sim can visit community lots with no load times.
Con: no nightclubs, no restaurants. You can't see what's going on inside.

Pro: Your sim doesn't make stupid faces and sounds when they WooHoo.
Con: they jump back into 'relax' position as soon as they're done. It's very jarring and doesn't seem quite natural.

Pro: Sims have a wide array of personality traits and it's fun making unique Sims.
Con: they don't seem to do much with it. I leave them alone on freewill for about a minute or two to see what they do (i love doing that all the time in Ts2) and sometimes they just stand there staring at one another. My settings are on high freewill.

I really like the look of the game. I am probably one of the few that loves the look of the Sims. However, the sliders are a bit limited, I think. I'm hoping maybe later patches or expansions will give us more options.

That's my initial thoughts on the game. I think I'd miss my supped up version of Sims 2 too much to make Ts3 a regular game but I do admit, it's still fun to start off with. I'll just be optimistic for future EPs.
Scholar
#41 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:03 PM
Yeah, TrillianRikku, I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble controlling the camera. I guess it's a learning curve. It took me a very long time to control the Sims2 camera, too. Sims3 should have let camera control be similar to that in Sims2.

To me, Sims3 has the overall look and feel of a console version. I played Sims2 on X-Box and Sims3 seems very similar in concept and execution to that console version. It is more like an evolution of Sims2 console, rather than Sims2 PC for that reason.

Oh so it's NORMAL for the sim to not be able to go into the venue? I thought I was experiencing a bug. I took my sim to the diner and to my shock, I could not see her eat or be IN the diner. I was like, WTF??? Weird.

I have both installed on my PC. They're different enough that I don't regret getting 3. I DO like it in an entirely different way. I just will not be giving up 2 anytime soon. With all my mods and hacks and CC, 2 is far, far more advanced in feel and fun than Sims3.
Field Researcher
#42 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starved4pizza

This stumps me also. ALL the Maxis Sims look the same, period. It's the beautiful custom Sims made by brilliant creators that look different.

I think a lot of us have just forgotten how terrible it is to play without custom Sims!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blackdaisies
Just thought I'd offer my two cents too. I think I agree with most of the posters here, but I think that it will get better, hopefully.

Playing Ts3 made me realize the things I love most about ts2 came in later expansions. I love playing kids in University. I love taking my Sims to community lots. I love building apartments. I like ceilings. >.<

There are ceilings! Once you master the camera if you get down to the sims level and zoom you can see ceilings..Its hard to explain you have to mess around with the camera to see it.

Dont think you can customize them?!

Quote: "The sun feels cold today"
Forum Resident
#44 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:21 PM
I'm not fond of the neighborhood layout screen. I'm assuming there is no way to see a list of last names so that I don't have to search forever to find my sims. I found them well enough in TS2, but this just seems more cluttered. Plus they move.

But what I really hate is the big white box blocking the houses. You know, when you switch houses, and there's a helpful box three times the size it needs to be telling you click a house? I thought turning off lessons would get rid of it, but it doesn't. Can anyone tell me how to remove/hide that box? I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm still having trouble navigating the new controls.
Scholar
#45 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by secretsim
This stumps me also. ALL the Maxis Sims look the same, period. It's the beautiful custom Sims made by brilliant creators that look different.

I think a lot of us have just forgotten how terrible it is to play without custom Sims!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I think the problem is that it's hard to *make* sims look different in the game (the 'puddingface' effect); the graphics also seem lower-quality than TS2 with regards to 'jaggies' (which I've tried to override with AA on my card), so that may contribute.
I also wonder if people's perception of 'cookie cutter' sims in TS2 may be related to graphics hardware quality and settings--I use high-end hardware and I certainly had very unique-looking sims in TS2 who passed their uniqueness down through the generations. They were usually downloaded from people who were way more skilled with CAS than me, so maybe someone will eventually figure out how to defeat the puddingface sliders.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I think the problem is that it's hard to *make* sims look different in the game (the 'puddingface' effect); the graphics also seem lower-quality than TS2 with regards to 'jaggies' (which I've tried to override with AA on my card), so that may contribute.
I also wonder if people's perception of 'cookie cutter' sims in TS2 may be related to graphics hardware quality and settings--I use high-end hardware and I certainly had very unique-looking sims in TS2 who passed their uniqueness down through the generations. They were usually downloaded from people who were way more skilled with CAS than me, so maybe someone will eventually figure out how to defeat the puddingface sliders.

It's not really fair to compare Maxis-base Sims with the stuff you downloaded, no? Of course the latter is far superior. I had great individuals in Sims 2, also, but again, they were downloaded.

I personally was never able to create very attractive or unique-looking Sims without: (a) custom skintone (b) custom eye color, etc. made by our wonderful creators.

I have a top of the line HP laptop and I frankly think the graphics are great. The pudding-face effect, I think, is not a graphics issue but just how the Sims are designed.

I think we can all agree we can't wait for our talented creators to get to work on some custom Sims that won't have the pudding-face effect.
Scholar
#47 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by secretsim
It's not really fair to compare Maxis-base Sims with the stuff you downloaded, no? .

That's why I said I wasn't sure if I was missing something--if people were *only* complaining about premade sims then I apologize.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
That's why I said I wasn't sure if I was missing something--if people were *only* complaining about premade sims then I apologize.

I think they are... because from my knowledge, nobody has had time to create custom Sims. I could be in the dark, perhaps there's lots out there but nobody has uploaded them.

The game just came out in the U.S. yesterday.

I can't wait to get custom Sims back.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:58 PM
I have not bought the game and right now have no plans to. This thread has a lot of opinions of the game and the sims look. I am curious to know if this slowness of game play is a hardware related problem. I am not trying to put down any ones equipment, but I know with the Sims 2 I never had real good quality sims until I bought a high end computer. Made an incredible difference in the look the speed the coolness of the cut scenes and animations. Perhaps there is life in this game, I just know it is not there yet.

I had sims 1 w\all ep's and lots of cc, one day of the sims 2 base game and I was done with the sims 1. I don't see many with that much enthusiasm for the sims 3. Even those who like it mostly say they will still play sims 2.

Burn The midnight oil, it will be daylight soon...
Field Researcher
#50 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by billyd1000
I have not bought the game and right now have no plans to. This thread has a lot of opinions of the game and the sims look. I am curious to know if this slowness of game play is a hardware related problem. I am not trying to put down any ones equipment, but I know with the Sims 2 I never had real good quality sims until I bought a high end computer.

I had sims 1 w\all ep's and lots of cc, one day of the sims 2 base game and I was done with the sims 1. I don't see many with that much enthusiasm for the sims 3. Even those who like it mostly say they will still play sims 2.

I agree with your first point about a lot of complaints stemming from the equipment users are playing on.

I disagree with the second point that most people will stay with Sims 2. I think the really excellent modders will end up leading the way to Sims 3. We'll eventually follow, being lured by the wonderful custom content.

Compared base game to base game, Sims 3 blows Sims 2 out of the water. I think we are just used to being spoiled by custom content, but once that gets going, we'll be Sims 3-ers.

After all, is anyone playing Sims 1 still?
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Please see stickied thread.
Page 2 of 9