Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#76 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:10 PM
I don't understand why people are complaining about not being able to follow the sim into work. You couldn't in TS2 and no one complained, At least in TS3 you can look at the purdy scenery
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:38 PM
Well, at least you guys can play!!!

I get the Disc Authentication Error. I tried bypassing the launcher to no avail. I guess I get to wait for the patch.

I think the game looks great and am miffed, to be nice, that something that huge didn't get fixed with all the extra time EA had.

*goes back to looking at everyone else's pics*

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Alchemist
#78 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:42 PM
Sisaly, Did you have the leaked version previously?
Scholar
#79 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 9:52 PM
Nope, I preordered the CE from EA. AND my pc was crippled with a virus. Windows wouldn't load.
So I did a System Restore yesterday and copied all my important files to my external drive and then did a destructive restore. Updated my windows. FINALLY installed my game, got my free car and town, some clothes and hair. Launched the game only to get the stupid error.

I must admit, I cried.

P.S. I have NO dvd emulation software on my pc either, just what was installed by hp. It came with Sonic, I uninstalled, cleaned my registry and restarted....nada.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Test Subject
#80 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladyhawke976
I LOVE raising my families. It's the highlight of my Sims lives. But the infant was different. First he came swaddled like baby Moses. You can diaper and feed him on the spot but the diapering is so generic it made me long for the good old changing tables of the Sims 2 - which are absent. He spun like a bug in a cocoon for a second and that was it. She magically makes a bottle appear out of nowhere and it goes away the same way. Sure some people might not mind the extra steps but I feel it has taken away the realism of it all.

Thank you very much for sharing these comments Ladyhawke976.

I also enjoy raising families in the Sims 2, and knowing that the milk bottle magically appears and disappears makes me look less forward to playing this game.

Realism and challenge are why I enjoyed the Sims 2 very much. You had to manage the food supply, keep the house clean and watch out for the kids so they don't drink spoiled milk. I also found it cute when two kids fought for a bottle Or the way the toddler throws the bottle on the floor after he is done with it, then proceeds to play with the toilet.

I have read elsewhere that characters in the Sims 3 rarely need to go relieve their bladder. I felt that juggling the motives relief and using what spare time you have left to further your career and/or develop relationships among Sims was a fun and realistic challenge.

So after hearing all of that, I hope there will be mods to add Sims 2 realism back into Sims 3, such as the milk bottles and more realistic bladder needs.

Quote:
The characters faces look bubbly and chunky

I also hope there will new tools available through the community that would allow for appearance customization on par with the Sims 2.

Sims 2 was an instant improvement over Sims 1, but perhaps a reason why the new game seems to leave people wanting is because the Sims 3 was not developed by Maxis.
Instructor
#81 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sisaly
I must admit, I cried.

There is no shame in crying! I have cried more than once while having video game installing troubles!
Test Subject
#82 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:18 PM
I tried playing for a couple of hours more and I'm so frustrated with this game. My computer is one month old with tons of processing speed, RAM and storage and this game just crawls. It takes forever to place anything, I can't control the camera and relationships are much tougher to establish. The game play is so slow that I lose interest. One of my favorite things to do in Sims2 was to go to restaurants, stores and clubs. So now we've got them and can't use them? Maybe that will come in time. I'm willing to wait and see what Maxis and the community come up with, because if these issues are fixed I'll be happy with it.

There are lots of great ideas such as taking classes to improve your skills and I like seeing my neighbors going about their business, the look of the game is great (not the Sims but I know modders will fix that) but it's back to Sims2 for me until I see whether the major joy-killers (my joy anyway) get dealt with.

I'm just sad that Sims 2 won't have any more expansions but here's hoping Sims3 improves.
Theorist
#83 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:28 PM
Oh, Sicaly, I am so sorry you're having so many problems! When I got TS2 I went through something similar, only in that case it was a problem with the disk--something, like a small chunk of melted sticky substance, was stuck to the disk. It would install partway then just stop. It took me a while to figure out that one, and even longer to get it cleaned off so I could actually install it.

Quote:
I have read elsewhere that characters in the Sims 3 rarely need to go relieve their bladder. I felt that juggling the motives relief and using what spare time you have left to further your career and/or develop relationships among Sims was a fun and realistic challenge.

Indeed, the bladder motive has been tweaked. Unfortunately, that is more than made up for by the hunger and energy motives. It is no beneficial trade-off in my opinion. My Sim uses the toilet only about twice a day but if she went to bed slightly hungry, couldn't even sleep through the night without getting up for food.

I just finished creating my first guy Sim. One of my daughters think he's absolutely horrible looking but I think he's acceptable and sort of cute. And after going through that, I am in 100% agreement that the amount of hair for the guys absolutely blows chunks! Why, oh why, are Sim males always neglected when it comes to hair? I realize guys don't usually do with their hair all the fancy stuff women do, but there are more than a dozen guy hair styles out there--for seriously!

One thing I absolutely love is that ALL types of clothing, not just everyday wear, can have mixed tops and bottoms! I went all out with Seth and customized his clothes (which I didn't do for Janna) which is awesome!

Quote:
You had to manage the food supply, keep the house clean and watch out for the kids so they don't drink spoiled milk.

You're still going to need to do some of that because the houses still get dirty and still need cleaned. Leftovers spoil in the fridge, so they'll need cleaned out and tossed if not used up within the allotted timespan. Last night while I was playing, Janna kept getting a bad moodlet for being in a messy environment. While there is no environment motive, their environment definitely has an effect on their mood. They get a huge boost from the beautiful environment of the park.

RE: the Welcome Wagon: I read last week where someone said the Welcome Wagon visited their Sim if their Sim actually had neighbors. Now last night Janna had a couple of neighbors (flanked on both sides) but she didn't get any visit so I'm not sure what the status of that is.

ETA:
Quote:
I can't control the camera and relationships are much tougher to establish

I too am having trouble with relationships. I did, however, read at the Sims3 forum to enable edge scrolling in the options (for some stupid reason it's turned off) and this is making a HUGE difference with camera control.
Test Subject
#84 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kittymom1029
I tried playing for a couple of hours more and I'm so frustrated with this game. My computer is one month old with tons of processing speed, RAM and storage and this game just crawls. It takes forever to place anything, I can't control the camera and relationships are much tougher to establish. The game play is so slow that I lose interest. One of my favorite things to do in Sims2 was to go to restaurants, stores and clubs. So now we've got them and can't use them? Maybe that will come in time. I'm willing to wait and see what Maxis and the community come up with, because if these issues are fixed I'll be happy with it.

There are lots of great ideas such as taking classes to improve your skills and I like seeing my neighbors going about their business, the look of the game is great (not the Sims but I know modders will fix that) but it's back to Sims2 for me until I see whether the major joy-killers (my joy anyway) get dealt with.

I'm just sad that Sims 2 won't have any more expansions but here's hoping Sims3 improves.

Amen. All of that. Just, Amen. Back to TS2 for me, as well. It sucks, I really got my hopes up. :[
Scholar
#85 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:52 PM
Regarding the baby disappointment (upthread), the babies are now perma-swaddled in a cocoon that goes up and behind their head, so they just sort of look like little worms and you can't see their legs kick or anything. There are only a very few hairstyles for toddlers. I'll be honest, I am NOT a kid person and I didn't even have babies in TS2 till I caught onto the genetics stuff, and then I was grudgingly won over by the cuteness factor. Unfortunately, almost all the charm of babies and toddlers has been removed in TS3 by things like cocoon-babies, the new interaction system, and horrible toddler hairstyles (especially for girls)...and puddingfaces are awful at that age, the eyes aren't big enough or something.
Test Subject
#86 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:56 PM
Oh boy... I was so excited on Monday about Sims 3, but my friend told me how terrible she thought it was today, and... Now this thread. I guess I'll just reinstall the Sims 2 and forget about 3. It sounds awful... Aren't there any redeeming qualities at all? D=
Scholar
#87 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rachel_Ewok
Oh boy... I was so excited on Monday about Sims 3, but my friend told me how terrible she thought it was today, and... Now this thread. I guess I'll just reinstall the Sims 2 and forget about 3. It sounds awful... Aren't there any redeeming qualities at all? D=

Create-A-Style is pretty awesome. I'd pay $50 just to get that into TS2 instead at this point.
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by obsessivexromantic
sadly, sims 3 feels nothing like sims at all. it is like playing a totally new game; a poor immitation of the sims.

Aha! I'm glad someone else feels the same way. I was playing Sims 3 and felt guilty for abandoning the "real" Sims.

I'm in love with the new create a sim system, and all of the traits and such. But, I agree with several other posters, the game play is a little sluggish, and I'm not overly happy with the way the neighborhoods work now... But I'm going to give it a few more days to see if I just get used to things before spending the hours to reinstall all my Sims 2 stuff (darn small hard drives!).
Test Subject
#89 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 12:13 AM
I feel kinda duped. Been counting down the days and now I don't even wanna look at it until they come out with some worthwhile expansion packs. (How long will that be?) 3 seems like a step backwards instead of something new and innovative. They took away more than they gave. I'm so disappointed... and I don't want to be...
Field Researcher
#90 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:59 AM
I decided to put in my two cents.

I hate it and I love it all at once.

What I hate? Well its not like the Sims 2. guess what IT ISN"T the sims two. Its A game that has the essential building blocks created by people who want to try new things at our expense. I don't feel like this game is even finished. The speed controls are so obviously off they have to know. They just want to see what we thing. Then there are the little things. I LIKED being able to CALL a taxi. Not magically have one show up. I LIKED seeing my cars back out and roll off. No appear in the street. All this high end technology and you can't make a car back out of a driveway? Whats really going on. Yes, there is a major limit on hair and clothes and furnature. Guess it really is all about the Benjamins? Its kind of like they went. We don't NEED to put all this stuff in, because they will buy it, because they are hooked on the franchise. I was going to drop 70 bucks for the platinum version on pay day. But as if it was a sign, i got this game as a gift. And you know, I like it enough to play it, but if I had to buy it i wouldn't. But There are somethings I do like.

The Nuances. No one's really mentioned them and to me its the wee details that make me want to keep playing. Like watching the Light of the sun Move across the ground. Its cool that they took the time to make moving shadows. The trees sway in the breeze but at what cost? The butterflies are missing. Meh. they were dumb. the birds are awesomely realistic and I have seen sims watching them. The waterfall and the movement of the water in credible. I sat and watched that waterfall for 10 minutes. YES im not joshing. The first thing i did was turn on all my settings up and man, its nice. The shape of the leaves in the shadows on the ground. But you know what I love the most, The way thier eyes move, like human eyes. Its all those little nuances that they focused so much on, they totally forgot the obvious stuff. I could go on forever about the wee little nuances that make this new game like a Train Wreck. I want to be disappointed but theres just so many things to see. im not done even looking around yet.

So like i said. I love it, and I loathe it. But I can run them both (not at the same time. even on an SLI'ed system that is a stretch). Although why the pinegulcher cheap table made it into this game I will never understand.
Forum Resident
#91 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr. T
I have read elsewhere that characters in the Sims 3 rarely need to go relieve their bladder. I felt that juggling the motives relief and using what spare time you have left to further your career and/or develop relationships among Sims was a fun and realistic challenge. [...]

Sims 2 was an instant improvement over Sims 1, but perhaps a reason why the new game seems to leave people wanting is because the Sims 3 was not developed by Maxis.

I find it sort of funny (in a sad way) that part of the hype and anticipation was "you won't have stupid motives getting in the way of fun!" only for the final game to have Sims needing to sleep half the day or eat a lot. Lots of people were excited by that prospect as well, but like you I thought that was a realistic part of life (and anyway, I personally barely even notice taking care of those things in the midst of doing fun/work-type stuff).

Also, technically speaking, Maxis didn't have anything to do with most/all of The Sims 2. They've been gradually eaten up by EA; now there's just "The Sims Division." Alas...
Instructor
#92 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:34 AM
1-sims do sleep for too long
2-they are always want a guitar
3- when i take them to that fancy restraint thing.. and let them sit outside they sits in a different tables lol -.-
but still sims 2 wasn't as good without all the great cc that we dl'ed over time.. guess it will be the same to sims 3... but the sims 3 store is just evil lol and the fact that they put all the good things there idk was just plan greedy or something
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:48 AM
I think The Sims 3 has some cool features but all the rest SUCKS big time. I mean even in TS1 sims could eat properly at a diner or browse from a freaking clothing rack and I don't even want to talk about the cars. The characters looked really screwed up with those jacked up body proportions round faces and double chins. I think it was sooo not worth the wait and my 49 bucks. Good thing I didn't uninstall TS2.
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2
I don't understand why people are complaining about not being able to follow the sim into work. You couldn't in TS2 and no one complained, At least in TS3 you can look at the purdy scenery

I agree with you that jobs got much better, but why did they have to screw up everything else?!
Field Researcher
#95 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2

I agree. I frankly think it'd be boring to watch them work. My military Sim would probably just do jumping jacks and run courses, etc. It would get old really fast.
Banned
#96 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:55 AM
I honestly think people expected too much from this game. It's just a base game, there's no point in being disappointed, especially considering most of us just transitioned from one game that was, likely, filled to the hilt with custom content and mods, to a brand new game that doesn't have any of that yet.

Give it time, wait for custom content to be created, wait for mods to be considered 'in testing', and wait for at least ONE expansion pack. A lot of you will back pedal your statements once you can do exactly what you want with it; suddenly it won't be such a downer, it'll magically be the Best Game Evar, and you'll never look back. Don't complain that this game doesn't have anything to start with, because The Sims 2 didn't, either.

Be glad that you actually have it, and be glad that it just comes with some of the things that it does, in comparison to having to wait so long just for The Sims 2 to give us *cars* or *ceilings*. If there's bugs or weird quirks, you honestly should have expected that, and some of these comments make me wonder why you didn't.

It'll get better if you're patient and just WAIT. Don't expect God to grace you immediately. :/

I, personally, am looking forward to playing it.
Field Researcher
#97 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DarkLolita
I decided to put in my two cents.

...The Nuances. No one's really mentioned them and to me its the wee details that make me want to keep playing. Like watching the Light of the sun Move across the ground. Its cool that they took the time to make moving shadows. The trees sway in the breeze but at what cost? The butterflies are missing. Meh. they were dumb. the birds are awesomely realistic and I have seen sims watching them. The waterfall and the movement of the water in credible. I sat and watched that waterfall for 10 minutes. YES im not joshing. The first thing i did was turn on all my settings up and man, its nice. The shape of the leaves in the shadows on the ground. But you know what I love the most, The way thier eyes move, like human eyes. Its all those little nuances that they focused so much on, they totally forgot the obvious stuff. I could go on forever about the wee little nuances that make this new game like a Train Wreck. I want to be disappointed but theres just so many things to see. im not done even looking around yet....

DarkLolita, thanks so much for your 2 cents. This is just what I wanted to hear. I like the small details. And my biggest pet peeve about #2 was the progression of daylight to night, how it suddenly changed without a sunset. Sure, there's hacks that fixed that, but I didn't want to have to have a hack. The people who figure out these hacks can be doing other things now. I'll probably be watching the Sims 3's eyes moving around to see what they're looking at. I can't wait to explore this new world. Thanks.
Scholar
#98 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:08 AM
DarkLolita: I've noticed little things like that; Like in CAS the sims glance goes of to the right everynow and then. Like they are embarrased that your looking at them. So cute.

I am slightly disappointed too. But its probably more graphically on my side, I need to upgrade. I'm not going to give up on TS3 though. When I first started to play The Sims I could really only sit there for half an hour tops. And now i could play it all day. That's what I love about The Sims, theres so much to discover. Besides, it's only been out a few days and I personally have only played it for a couple of hours.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 11:13 AM
The screenshots EA teased us with for two years have been rendered and photoshopped. That's why you don't see the interface etc. it's not merely that they're hiding it.

Anyway, the graphics are more than satisfactory, so is the sound, and yeah in a lot of aspects there is great attention to detail. The confusion comes about regarding all the glaring, bleeding, obvious, gaping, huge bugs that have to do with actually playing over time, like story progression and AI behavior.

Would I buy the game again? Probably. I still have faith there will be patches and expansions to fix all of these things and more, but it seems clear that the game was pushed out the doors much too early, and that it probably hasn't been worked on much since the december fan event showing, something which leads me to believe we can expect an expansion well before christmas.
Test Subject
#100 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 2:09 PM
I have just received the game and I am very dissappointed. I used to write stories just for my own fun and had a diary for every one of my sims. Now I can't seem to find that feature anymore. If it is there and I am just blind then let me know. The biografy is not enough as it doesn't give you the possibility to put screenshots in.
As for the sims - I think they are ugly, but I did manage to make a somewhat decent looking guy.
I love the open neigbourhood, the details and the way you can customize clothes and so - but thats all.
I guess I will play for a little while and then return to TS2.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Please see stickied thread.
Page 4 of 9