Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#126 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:40 AM
I am *loving* Sims 3 so far. I'm having trouble not playing it to get other things done and to let my shoulder rest from using the mouse so much. I've noticed a few bugs, and only one design decision that bothered me (the chess tournament, my Sim runs out of energy too fast to complete it). Still, just fantastic fun. Can't wait to see what comes to enhance it in custom content and expansions.
Advertisement
Theorist
#127 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:21 AM
I've been playing a lot more and the game is growing on me more. Tonight I played nearly 2.5 hours. My sim has been advancing. He even got arrested for doing his crime work and being picked up by the cops. It was pretty interesting.

He's got his boss as his best friend (and maybe romantic partner #2) and a steady girlfriend.

If my photos came out okay I will post more in the photo threads.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
Kittymom, There are way too many Sims, it seems like about 75% of them single females. \ :P

I would kill for a town of 75% woman who are single.... I hate New York a little now... No offense to anyone from here.

-DuffDog-

-I AM taking BASIC requests.-
-Just PM to see if I might be able to do it.-
Instructor
#129 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AyaJulia
Your sim already owns all available clothing in the game. Just click on a dresser and "Plan Outfit" to change into something new.

When I figured this out while playing, I was shocked! I literally just sat there staring at the screen not knowing what to do next.

After the shock wore off, I said a little prayer for the dev that came up with the idea, and wished long life and happiness for them.
Test Subject
#130 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:53 AM
I was worried my computer couldn't run the game but I ran out last night and bought it anyway. I was excited enough to risk it. It runs fine though, so there's a point.

My disappointment started immediately when I saw you couldn't create your own town. I thought maybe I just had to go through the tutorial first, so I did, only to find that no, it doesn't seem to be possible. I'm still hoping that I'm oblivious and someone will point out to me where you can create your own neighbourhood.

When I created my first sim I was a little taken back. I wasn't disappointed, I was...creeped out. The heads looked gigantic and everything seemed slightly out of proportion to me. I'll be honest and say for a minute I missed the Sims 2 sims (I'm so plain that I used the same girl face probably 20 times, so yeah) but I got over that when I saw how customizable the hair colour was. And the clothing is neat, too. Once you're playing the Sim, all the proportions fell into place. (I tried to make the lips look proportion to the head in Create a Sim and they ended up being WAY too big in the actual game. Whoops)

I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out just how the heck to see inside the diner and order the food I WANT to order, like you could in the Sims 2, before I realized I can't. I think I went up and down a dozen floors and zoomed in as much as I could and out again before I read the little book and realized it--venues seem pretty pointless when you can't actually PLAY there.

I'm also hoping that I'm a ditz here and just can't find it--but where is my build a garden tool if "green thumb" is a characteristic you can choose without having some fancy free-time-like expansion? Is the interface just way too confusing or did they actually leave that hole there?

I'm hoping that the more I play, the more it'll grow on me. It's not a good sign when it can't keep my attention for longer than 20 minutes at a time after only having it for a day--that tends to happen a year later. Normally I'm hooked on the Sims for a couple of months after it comes out. But

I LOVE the new features in create a sim. I love the traits and the hair colours and all the customizing available in the makeup, but I'm afraid that I may have been happier with a trait expansion for the sims 2 for the same price. I don't really care too much about the seamless neighbourhood thing if it came at the expense of several things I did love.

Also: after woohoo the female changes into her bathing suit and not her pjs? Or after a shower changing into formal or workout? Huh?
Lab Assistant
#131 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by javabean
Also: after woohoo the female changes into her bathing suit and not her pjs? Or after a shower changing into formal or workout? Huh?

I can't answer the rest of your post, but I can say this much: Your sim probably has the "inappropriate" trait, or any of the other traits that come with the caveat "Your sim never seems to think to dress properly" (or whatever). There were some others besides inappropriate... Neurotic perhaps, or maybe even outright Insane. I don't remember. Inappropriate is probably the culprit, though.
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:19 AM
I have been on a sim hiatus for about a year or so now, and I picked up Sims 3 hoping it would rekindle the love for the game I had when I got Sims 2. I spent about an hour in CAS messing with all the features and sliders and such, and was glad to see how customizable everything was. However, one of the first things I noticed when the game installed was that there wasn't any kind of bodyshop, which is where I made all of my sims in Sims 2. I just figured the sliders in game would vary enough so that a bodyshop wouldn't really be needed (for non cc creators, that is) but I couldn't get my sims to look the way I wanted them to at all. They also all seemed to have huge sagging necks which I don't like at all. Maybe I just didn't play around with the sliders long enough, but it didn't take too long for my sims to start looking right when I made them in bodyshop and I got really tired trying to change feature in CAS and getting nowhere. I don't mind the new look of the sims, I just wish there was a bodyshop or something so that I could make my sims look the way I want them to.

The next thing I was disappointed in was the fact that there is only one neighborhood and I didn't see any option to make a new one, like javabean just said. I also couldn't figure out any way to go into uninhabited lots to look at the houses and tweak them or place down empty lots to build my own houses. Maybe there is a way to do this that I just couldn't find, but if there is they definitely didn't make it very obvious (or maybe I'm just blind :P).

I also felt that the movement controls were weird, but I don't know if that's just me. I tried inverting everything and whatnot, but neither way felt right. Maybe I've just become unaccustomed to sims controls from not playing for so long.

When I heard about Sims 3 and watched the trailers and looked at the screenshots, I thought it was going to be like Sims 2 with features from most expansion packs but updated and with some new features (customization and all that community visibility nonsense). Playing it didn't really feel like that at all, and really just made me want to play Sims 2 again.

Maybe I just didn't play for long enough, but I don't think I'll be playing Sims 3 again until more custom content comes out or I learn about features that might make me want to play. If my sims craving gets too high, I guess I'll just reinstall sims 2 and get downloading...
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by amvalvo
I also couldn't figure out any way to go into uninhabited lots to look at the houses and tweak them or place down empty lots to build my own houses. Maybe there is a way to do this that I just couldn't find, but if there ism they definitely didn't make it very obvious (or maybe I'm just blind :P).

You can't place new empty lots in your neighborhood.

You CAN edit homes, or build new homes on pre-placed empty lots, by hitting the "..." button in the bottom left and choosing "Edit Town." From there, you can click on any home lot (can't recall if you can edit community lots) and enter it just to build on.
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:27 AM
You can't place new empty lots in your neighborhood.

You CAN edit homes, or build new homes on pre-placed empty lots, by hitting the "..." button in the bottom left and choosing "Edit Town." From there, you can click on any home lot (can't recall if you can edit community lots) and enter it just to build on.

So if you build on all the empty lots, then that's it? No more custom homes? I don't build too many of my own homes, but there are a lot of people that do.. There must be some way around that?
Theorist
#135 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:35 AM
Quote:
When I figured this out while playing, I was shocked! I literally just sat there staring at the screen not knowing what to do next.

After the shock wore off, I said a little prayer for the dev that came up with the idea, and wished long life and happiness for them.

Actually, this is one of the things that is a "step back" to TS1. All every day wear in TS1 was available from the dresser all the time. It's just been beefed up for TS3 to include ALL of it this go-round.

Quote:
So if you build on all the empty lots, then that's it? No more custom homes? I don't build too many of my own homes, but there are a lot of people that do.. There must be some way around that?

Yet another "step back" to TS1 design. All lots are permanent and no more can be added. I know, it stinks. I love my unique neighborhoods in TS2.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lilacigna
excuse me, I read MOST of the post on this thread, and in any of those, i was so incredibly shocked that no one complained about being able to choose from 5 lifetime wants! five! that is what broke my heart from the sims 3, I mean, i can no longer want to be a mad scientist, or whoohooing with a hundred different sims! There is no point to me by having "new cool careers" such as astronauts and not being able to have "reach top of the astronaut career" as a lifetime want. I am very shocked.

Er, the Lifetime wishes which are available for you to pick from are determined by the traits you've chosen. If you change the traits, the LTW will change. There are a lot more than 5. Be more observant.

Quote:
Second, the sims are so fat! I set my sim to the min. body weight and nuscle size, and still! no waist whatsoever, she looks like an average-fat person, no the supermodels we had on sims 2 (don't hate me but that's how I look, hence i can no longer make an accurate sim-self) and what disturbed me the most on this fat sims, is that the faces are so chubby! I hate that, i mean, seriously, cheek bones, please! Maybe the people who don't care about these sims looking all kind of the same have never tried to make real persons on the game, which on sims 2 was very accurately achieved. (Even base game + little simple bodyshop)

.... I think maybe you have a problem.

I am a sweet, fluffy bunny. I live in a golden meadow surrounded by unicorns and butterflies. I have 10 nice points.

Better?
Instructor
#137 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:49 AM
After playign the game for a few hours, I've come to the conclusion that it's definitely a step up from the sims 2. If anything it's too much LIKE the sims 2. Going from sims 1 to 2 was a huge change because so many features were added, and with this game it's more along the lines of little tweaks. However, I am really liking it so far. I love how there aren't loading screens, how I can watch my sims go to work, etc. It's just a new and improved sims 2. The only thing the sims 2 has over the sims three in my opinion currently is more content, which will change over time as more custom content is created and expansions come out. Also, the sims themselves aren't quite as attractive as I'd like, particularly the men. They all look sort of goofy. However, I'm going to play around with it some more to see how it goes.

I really don't see any problem with this game that can't be fixed by the modding/custom content we used to make the sims 2 more fun to play. All in all, I'm really enjoying it. I'm not, like, totally blown away with the game or anything, but it's enjoyable and it's nice to have a new sims experience, and I look forward to seeing what else they have in store for us.
Test Subject
#138 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:12 AM Last edited by loka_925 : 5th Jun 2009 at 7:11 AM.
My opinion :

Horrible faces, Outfit, Houses, & furniture... come on.....

What The Sims 2 had that The Sims 3 really needs:

OMG there's so many things... but the most important :

Fashionable Outfits ...please!!!!
Modern Furniture!!!!
Modern Hairstyle!!!
Customizable and fully playable community lots!!!
New Objects (not stupid recolor)!!!

Test Subject
#139 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:38 AM
I only play the game to create things....so I was VERY disappointed to find that there was no way to create custom skins, clothes, objects, walls, etc., etc. I just wasted $50 because I'll never play the game.
Instructor
#140 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by loka_925
My opinion :

Horrible faces, Outfit, Houses, & furniture... come on.....

What The Sims 2 had that The Sims 3 really needs:

OMG there's so many things... but the most important :

Fashionable Outfits ...please!!!!
Modern Furniture!!!!
Modern Hairstyle!!!
Customizable and fully playable community lots!!!
New Objects (not stupid recolor)!!!

All of this TS2 had because of the CC community...not Eaxis.
Test Subject
#141 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:39 PM
I can't answer the rest of your post, but I can say this much: Your sim probably has the "inappropriate" trait, or any of the other traits that come with the caveat "Your sim never seems to think to dress properly" (or whatever). There were some others besides inappropriate... Neurotic perhaps, or maybe even outright Insane. I don't remember. Inappropriate is probably the culprit, though.

Aha! Thanks, I thought it was a bug because both of the female sims I was mucking with had both of those traits. Whoops! :D
Test Subject
#142 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 1:51 PM
I feel the same way, little things are missing and it bothers me, I hate how the sims look too, all bubbly and chunky... I hate how make up looks too and the clothes? WTF!? there bearly is any!

So far the only thing I like is the seemless neighborhood... but at last i think I prefer the Sims 2.

But I think I will play a bit longer just to see if I can "Find the spark".
Lab Assistant
#143 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 1:58 PM
I am a bit disappointed. My sim rarely leaves his house, only to go to the gym, because i can actually see inside there. Or to work, which is a little bit better this time around. But mostly this is like playing a laggy sims 2 with sub-par graphics because I have to turn my effects down to low to load the neighborhood. I know, better graphics card and more RAM.

Other than the collecting, I don't see anything I can't do in sims 2. And it looks and runs much better. When I fired up sims 2 for the first time, I thought "I will never play sims 1 again." When I fired up sims 3 for the first time, I thought "Lag." And now with what we know as rabbit holes, and the broken story progression, and everything else, the disappointment mounts.
Test Subject
#144 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 2:22 PM
It's such a mixed bag.

I like the seamless hood and how you can walk around it, but its a big loss to not be able to go inside most community lots and interact there. I can see that neighbour hoods are a lot more complex and you can't just have a .sc4 and do what ever. But I'd like to be able to place lots myself and manipulate. Generally I've found navigating the neighbourhood control panel areas so hard. Especially when I installed a new town and it didn't work the same way as Summer Valley, I couldn't get my sims into a house. I worked it out eventually, but it isn't intuitive at all.

I actually think the Create a Sim section is harder to get a character to look how you want. The skin colours are blotchy, the necks seem to stay saggy no matter what you do, and is it me or is it really hard to get nice asian eyes, without making them look cross-eyed.

Obviously Sims 2 was nice because I had all the EPs and tons of CC, I guess now that I've bought Sims 3 I'll just have to see what happens. Fingers crossed they fix the ugly skin, it's just a bit sad that CG characters were photoshopped for the magazines!

PS. The nanny stole my baby... and they sleep way too much! 5-8 hours is sufficient.
Test Subject
#145 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 3:57 PM
I've been playing for what, 3 days now, probably a total of about 10 hours or so and I'm still not sure if I like the game.

Until I built my own house, one of my biggest complaints was just how dark everything looked. It took a lot of fiddling to build a house that didn't look dark. Most of the previous in buy or build, especially the wooden stuff, whether it be windows, doors or furniture, it's hard to tell which color is which, unless you place it in the house.

Sleeping is really annoying, it takes forever, even at max speed, the max speed is actually rather slow.

I find the game as a whole just doesn't look like the previews, I've played around with sims looks, they almost always end up looking the same even though I've been using randomize as a starting point.

I find the neighborhood view is not intuitive at all, half of the time, I'm not sure just what I'm doing, eventually i manage to get a sim in a house, but i'm not sure if it's just luck or if i actually know what i'm doing.

So far I've yet to figure out how to put a roof that isn't flat on a house, but that's probably just me, I've used auto roof and still the roofs don't show up.

I don't care much for the default clothes or hair, but that was to be expected, it'll get better with custom content.

I love the personality traits, that's one of the few things I really like in ts3.

Being able to go around town is fun, but not being able to go into most buildings sucks. I'd like to be able to see what my sims is doing.

I find that with the long sleeping time, and work hours, it's pretty much impossible for your sims to do much outside of work and their days off, yeah it's realistic, but at the same time, it kinda sucks. My sim gets home from work and is hungry, by the time i feed them and shower and pee it's time for bed.

All around i feel a bit cheated, from the previews, screenshots, commercials etc, it looked like a great game, but in reality I'm starting to miss ts2.
Test Subject
#146 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starved4pizza
I can't believe people are complaining about how similar Sims look in this game... Yet have NO problem with cookie cutter Sims from 1 & 2. :/ The mind boggles...

Exactly what I was thinking. I think they must have their settings on low or something. :-\
Scholar
#147 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:19 PM
I think it's because the sims all have round blobby faces and double-chins and it's very hard to defeat that with the sliders.

I'm playing in 1920X1200 widescreen with all settings on high except tree detail and lot rendering.
Test Subject
#148 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:33 PM
I've never posted to this forum before but now I feel I have to because I was so incredibly disappointed by this game and there are a few things I've seen people say (on multiple forums) that irks me.

"So your biggest problem with TS3 is that is isn't TS2?"

The step from TS1 to TS2 was incredible. It was essentially the same game, but it was much more realistic and customizable- everything was an improvement. I knew there would be some differences in TS3, but I expected them to fall along the lines of the TS1-TS2 change, the same game, just better. I thought things would be made more realistic. I was excited about the seamless neighborhood, and had no doubt in my mind that every community lot would be enterable. When they weren't I was absolutely dumbfounded. I would take loading screens over un-enterable buildings any day. Why on earth would they release a game with such a gigantic hole in it? The game is still "The Sims." Nobody is complaining that TS3 isn't Spore.

"Nobody remembers that TS2 sucked without custom content."

That's just silly. Custom content just changed the look of the game, not the way it was played. Yes I love my more realistic eye colors and different hair styles, but what I loved about TS2 was how the game was played. Also, I feel that build-mode was only slightly enhanced with CC. Most of my TS2 houses were made with materials from the base game and expansion packs, not CC, and imo they were all beautiful. I think tweaking the color of a wallpaper down to a specific hex code is annoying and it's ridiculously time consuming. Which brings me to…

The beauty of TS2 was that it could be played in multiple ways. There were people who enjoyed raising families, pursuing wants, creating storylines, etc. and people like me who not only loved building, but enjoyed micromanaging their sims lives. I felt that some of the challenge of the game was making sure all their needs were cared for. It's not fun if it's too easy, and many of the annoying aspects of the game were fixed with mods. I think that game players like me have been alienated from the game with the arrival of TS3. Building has been replaced with "customizing" and honestly, I still don't really understand how to play the game- and it's not for lack of trying. Someone in this thread said earlier that it was like they tried to adapt a console game for the PC and I couldn't agree more.

The hype for this game was that it would be a better and more realistic version of TS2. It isn't. It's a completely different game that doesn't deserve to be called "The Sims 3". I think the creators should have acknowledged the new way they were taking the game and differentiated it from The Sims, like they did with My Sims. My problems with this game aren't with the graphics or lack of content (though both bother me), but with the actual gameplay. People need to realize that only a few type of sim players benefitted from this transition and many others did not.

I'm also disappointed with the online store and the expectancy to buy objects that should have been in the (already expensive) game in the first place. I've probably spent well over a thousand dollars on all the previous sims games and expansion packs, and this is just a slap in the face.

I'm happy for the people who enjoy this game, they are the players that have been catered to. But for me, and many others, I will be going back to my beloved TS2 and waiting (though not with high hopes) for expansion packs.
Test Subject
#149 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:54 PM
I'm not going to get the sims 3.
I don't think that my computer would handle it, and i'm far too attatched to sims 2.
I think with downloads and the like on sims 2, we've already got so much better than what sims 3 offers.
I hope not everyone leaves sims 2 for good, it's so much better in my opinion :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#150 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 6:14 PM
I think a lot of people are going to be on hold with this game until mods/hacks and cc come out to make the gameplay better for all. For instance I noticed Decorgal posted on her blog that she didn't get the game. As the game is now it doesn't cater to the machinima community. She'll wait for cc and hacks. There was also the enforced legacy play which is being worked on by Pescado with his Awesomemod.

My big disappointment comes from the fact that EA made it much more difficult to mod the game and the EA store, though the last one wasn't unexpected. Hopefully in time the community will help modify this game for all playstyles.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Please see stickied thread.
Page 6 of 9