Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 3:26 AM
Default Open Neighborhoods
While I'm playing the game, I find it interesting that I can wander a whole neighborhood or area freely but I can't actually visit other lots within that neighborhood/area without encountering a loading screen. I know they restricted access in the game to 1 lot at a time for performance purposes, but it feels weird that I can access all of the public space around my house but not the actual other houses within that space. I actually don't miss the completely open worlds from sims 3 but I would love to have open neighborhoods with access to all the lots within the beautiful public spaces. Would that be possible in the future or is that impossible within the game's new engine?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pokk720
While I'm playing the game, I find it interesting that I can wander a whole neighborhood or area freely but I can't actually visit other lots within that neighborhood/area without encountering a loading screen. I know they restricted access in the game to 1 lot at a time for performance purposes, but it feels weird that I can access all of the public space around my house but not the actual other houses within that space. I actually don't miss the completely open worlds from sims 3 but I would love to have open neighborhoods with access to all the lots within the beautiful public spaces. Would that be possible in the future or is that impossible within the game's new engine?

I think visiting the surrounding houses without a loading screen would be easily possible, given enough time. What they've done for now is load up a model of the house, and inside the windows you can see an illusion of the interior. I assume it's a 2d file such a skybox, generated based on what the inside of the house actually looks like. That's when when you look through the windows you can see furniture but if you zoon into the house, the walls drop and it's completely empty.

Once modders have had a good run familiarizing ourselves with the code, I think it's feasible to make these lots load entirely instead if loading this "prefab" of sorts.
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TwistedMexi
I think visiting the surrounding houses without a loading screen would be easily possible, given enough time. What they've done for now is load up a model of the house, and inside the windows you can see an illusion of the interior. I assume it's a 2d file such a skybox, generated based on what the inside of the house actually looks like. That's when when you look through the windows you can see furniture but if you zoon into the house, the walls drop and it's completely empty.

Once modders have had a good run familiarizing ourselves with the code, I think it's feasible to make these lots load entirely instead if loading this "prefab" of sorts.

What can we say about this now? 7 years later?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 3:16 PM
We can say the same things we say about Maxis making babies that just lie there instead of crawling, learning and moving about like they had in previous sims games.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 1:33 AM
I know it's old post, but well well well. Look how far we gone and behold:

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I know it's old post, but well well well. Look how far we gone and behold:

Somebody here had tested it?
Instructor
#7 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 11:44 PM
It's very clever but not the type of world that I like to play. It's a bit dark isn't it? I prefer sunlight and more green spaces rather than American cities.