Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 8:33 PM
Default Have I Just Screwed My Neighbourhood Up? (Crashes When Loading)
Okay, so this hood isn't one I'm particularly serious about. The purpose of this hood was to do the hood corrupting acts within and observe the effects. It still worked fine when I last played it in December, possibly early January. It was called 'Plague Town' in reference to its purpose and the fact that sims get ill there often...

I fiddled with some sims in SimPE, just to get their attributes exactly how I want them (don't ask why I'm doing this for a throwaway hood). When I went to commit the changes for another sim, I got an error, so I closed SimPE. When I went to reload the neighbourhood, I'd get bombarded with error messages, saying that there was an error loading it.

Thinking that it was SimPE having a hiccup, I opened it again and selected one of my serious, healthy hoods. It loaded fine. Went to load Plague Town, it threw an error at me. I checked its folder and everything was there and intact.

Just to make sure, I booted the game up and went to load Plague Town... it crashed to desktop without warning. No 'The application has crashed' message, nothing. Just a crash to desktop. It did this twice. Other hoods load without issue, so it's not my game giving up on me, it's the hood.

I'm baffled at what could have possibly happened while altering skills, personality, and memories... It's nothing too complex, so I couldn't have messed something up this bad.

I do have a backup from a few days ago, but I started an interesting experiment since then and haven't made a backup of that version. You could argue that I should have backed up prior to loading SimPE, but the thing is... this is a throwaway hood. I just so happened to get something going (just to test out my skillset with SimPE, I suppose, but wound up messing up the hood.

If it's possible, could someone tell me what went wrong here...? And if it's possible to fix this... if not, I'll just have to bite the bullet, find the backup, and continue with the original purpose of the hood.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 20th Jan 2021 at 11:32 AM
The concept of "The purpose of this hood was to do the hood corrupting acts within and observe the effects" fascinates me ever since you first mentioned it, mostly because I know most corruption causing things don't actually cause corruption, usually just a big mess. Most times when a neighbourhood becomes badly corrupt, as is this case it is done by SimPE.

Most likely the sim's character file you were editing in SimPE when it threw an error got badly messed up, if that's not the case or you can't remember/find the file is it possible for you to upload the corrupt neighbourhood (not the backup) somewhere so I can try to find just what went wrong? (Then fix it and we can mess it up again).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2021 at 8:56 PM
@Chris Hatch
Sorry for the time it took to reply, I just managed to get on the computer. I normally use Mod the Sims on my tablet and I can’t access my sim files in use through that.
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
The concept of "The purpose of this hood was to do the hood corrupting acts within and observe the effects" fascinates me ever since you first mentioned it, mostly because I know most corruption causing things don't actually cause corruption, usually just a big mess. Most times when a neighbourhood becomes badly corrupt, as is this case it is done by SimPE.

Yeah, I kind of gathered the same thing after trying to do this little experiment. Nothing has really gone boom, just become really messy. Currently, I guess it would be more accurate to say that I’m just trying to see how messy it can get now. A chance to try things that I wouldn’t do in my 100% serious hoods
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Most likely the sim's character file you were editing in SimPE when it threw an error got badly messed up, if that's not the case or you can't remember/find the file is it possible for you to upload the corrupt neighbourhood (not the backup) somewhere so I can try to find just what went wrong? (Then fix it and we can mess it up again).

Okay, so when I went looking to see which sim I had edited last time, I had to look into the character files by opening them. I knew the name of the sim (Gia), but forgot her ID. In the process of doing that, I could open her character file fine. Hopeful, I went to open the hood proper and it (SimPE) threw a fit.

I also placed the hood folder into the EA Games folder proper just to make sure.

It opens other hoods fine without issue, so I must have messed something up (even more) here. I don’t know what the best place would be to upload my mess of hood so it be looked at; would I just zip it up and attach it to a post in this thread, or do I have to do something else.

Thanks for offering to help.
Screenshots

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 11:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I don’t know what the best place would be to upload my mess of hood so it be looked at; would I just zip it up and attach it to a post in this thread, or do I have to do something else.

I have no idea, zipped up neighbourhoods tend to be very large files compared to other sims content so perhaps a file sharing site may be more appropriate than attaching it here.