Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2009 at 10:52 AM
Default Broadway (and off Broadway) Plays
Hey Everyone,

Just got some tix to see the musical "Wicked" on Broadway and cannot wait to see it! I wanted to know if there are other fans of theater here. Was wondering if anyone had seen this play and what they thought of it? Or have you seen any plays that you really liked/enjoyed or hated? What is the favorite play you've seen to date??

I live near the city (NY) and have been fortunate to see several plays including Beauty and the Beast, Neil Simon's Fools, Chicago. To date, my favorite has been Chicago. Great movie, but even better live in the theater imho. So, theater fans, give me your best/worst plays, and opinions on Wicked (without giving away the good parts)!!!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Feb 2009 at 12:37 PM
I have been a huge musical fan now for about 10 years, since my mum first took me to see The Phantom of the Opera when I was 14.

I live in Adelaide, Australia, but lived in New Jersey for 2 years, where I tried to see as much on Broadway as I could (and could afford!), and lived in Calgary, Canada for two years where the woman I worked for was the director of the theatre there and was able to get me free tickets. To date I have seen:

In Australia-
- The Phantom of the Opera
- Fame
- The Sound of Music
- Singing in the Rain
- The Pirates of Penzance
- Wicked
- The Mikado

On Broadway-
- 42nd Street
- Gypsy
- The Phantom of the Opera (which had nothing on the Australian performance!)
- Beauty and the Beast
- The Producers
- Wicked
- The Boy from Oz (with Hugh Jackman! I was also very homesick at the time and burst into tears halfway through it... quite embarassing!)

In Canada-
- Chicago
- Cats
- The Phantom of the Opera

I am also travelling to Melbourne next week to see Wicked for the third time, and Billy Elliott for the first time.

My favourite musical would have to be Wicked- the sets are amazing (particularly the Gershwin Theatre on Broadway), the costumes are fabulous, and the music and dancing is so much fun. I have to say the Broadway production was better than the Australian production, but I was lucky enough to see the original Broadway cast, and noone can measure up to those two fabulous girls!
I truly enjoyed everything I have seen, and all the musicals were so different that they cannot be compared. But coming in second and third I would have to say The Boy from Oz and The Producers were the best.
The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway was the biggest disappointment, as it seemed very tired. The sets and costumes had nothing on the newer Broadway productions, and the actors were... okay.

Enjoy Wicked- it truly is amaxing!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Feb 2009 at 3:53 AM
You live in New York? Lucky
Of course I'll have to come back to re-edit and drown the thread with my favorite plays. Hmm...Wicked? Never heard of it, but I shall look into it It's a shame though that Theater is slowly dying out in the U.S. my Theater Arts Teacher told us that they're trying to take Theater out of the School System *dies from shock*

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
#4 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 1:32 AM
I pretty much love only Andrew Llyod-Webbers, but I've seen many others.

I've seen...
-The Lion King
-Mama Mia!
-Annie
I'm going to see...
-CATS- Feb. 27! Yay!
-Phantom of the Opera- Next time I'm in New York

My favorite musical is CATS, followed by Phantom of the Opera.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 2:04 AM
Sadly i have never seen a broadway (i'm so deprived!) but luckily I will be seeing Wicked soon as it came back to San Francisco. I love the novel so im in a state of anticipation.

And I also wanted to see *cough*LegallyBlonde*hideshame/cough* with Laura Bell but she left so I have no intrest anymore.
I did see Cats in a very well done Hghschool production though. :D