Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotAdjuster 2.8 (Updated Jan 31, 2010)

by Mootilda Posted 19th Apr 2008 at 4:40 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:31 PM by Nysha

488 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 479 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 10 of 20
Test Subject
#226 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 6:24 PM
does this fix those objects that become blue?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#227 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 5:19 AM
I don't have enough information to answer your question... Can you give me a more detailed explanation?

Which objects become blue? When do they become blue?
Test Subject
#228 Old 11th Oct 2008 at 2:38 PM
Is there any way to use this wonderful tool with a Mac?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#229 Old 11th Oct 2008 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by creidylad
Is there any way to use this wonderful tool with a Mac?
I believe not. I don't believe that .NET 2.0 will run on a Mac.

However, it is fairly simple for someone else to adjust your lots for you. They don't even need to have the game installed, although they will need .NET 2.0 and the LotAdjuster.

You just need to backup your neighborhood and then "zip" your lot and neighborhood packages and upload them here. Be sure not to play your neighborhood again until you receive the updated files.

The other person should only do "Phase 1" of the adjustment:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...3&postcount=410

There is no need for the correct set of EPs and SPs, or for the correct custom content, in this phase of the adjustment. After running phase 1, the other person "zips" the adjusted lot and neighborhood packages and uploads them here.

Then, you replace your original versions with the adjusted versions and complete "Phase 2", which requires the correct EPs, SPs and CC.

To be more specific:

Here's how you package your lot and neighborhood packages:
http://ww.modthesims2.com/showthrea...279#post1975279

Here are the instructions for the person who does the lot adjustment for you:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...643#post1976643

If you'd like to try this, I'm willing to run the adjustment for you.
Test Subject
#230 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 7:12 AM
I really appreciate it! Alas, I am not sure what I want in any specific lot -- more I have a desire to play with it. But I may get a new copy of the base game to run on our windows machine sometimes just so I can do some of the nifty modifications and transfer them around myself.

Thanks again for creating a wonderful tool and being so helpful!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#231 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 2:17 AM
If you have a windows machine, you can just use that machine to make the changes to the game files from the mac. If you have access to the files over a home network, you may not even need to copy the files from the mac and back again. Just run the LA on your windows machine and "Browse" to the appropriate neighborhood on your Mac. Much easier than having other people do it for you.

Just remember to do "Phase 1" from your windows machine and "Phase 2" on your mac.
Test Subject
#232 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 3:04 AM
Oooh, good thought. First I need Sims2 for Windows... then I can't wait to play with this great tool. Thanks again!
#233 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 4:16 AM
As per expected results discussed in another thread, this program works fine on my local drive, but fails miserably on my networked drive.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Site Helper
Original Poster
#234 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by creidylad
Oooh, good thought. First I need Sims2 for Windows... then I can't wait to play with this great tool. Thanks again!
You don't need Sim2 for Windows. You only need the LotAdjuster installed on your Windows machine.

Phase 1 doesn't require you to run the game. Phase 2 doesn't require you to run the LotAdjuster. So, run Phase 1 on your windows machine and Phase 2 on your Mac.
Test Subject
#235 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 10:14 PM
Has any new progress been made with respect to being able to build along/up to the edge of a lot? IOW, can I build to the edge of a "neighborhood square" in build mode, shrink the lot to that square, and have it work without crashing?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#236 Old 19th Oct 2008 at 2:43 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 19th Oct 2008 at 3:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by freetrav
Has any new progress been made with respect to being able to build along/up to the edge of a lot? IOW, can I build to the edge of a "neighborhood square" in build mode, shrink the lot to that square, and have it work without crashing?
You will never be able to safely build along the edge of the lot. It's become clear that the game doesn't handle that condition well, and will always be in danger of either crashing or corrupting your lot and possibly your neighborhood. Therefore, I have not made the unsafe build-along-the-edge versions available and instead focussed on finding a set of restrictions which would always create a safe lot.

As long as you are willing to avoid walls along the edge of the lot, you are safe. I assume that you've seen plasticbox's pseudo-townhouse tutorial? Walls which are perpendicular to the edge are safe; roofs are safe along the edge, but attic walls must follow the rules for walls.
Test Subject
#237 Old 19th Oct 2008 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
You will never be able to safely build along the edge of the lot. It's become clear that the game doesn't handle that condition well, and will always be in danger of either crashing or corrupting your lot and possibly your neighborhood. Therefore, I have not made the unsafe build-along-the-edge versions available and instead focussed on finding a set of restrictions which would always create a safe lot.

As long as you are willing to avoid walls along the edge of the lot, you are safe. I assume that you've seen plasticbox's pseudo-townhouse tutorial? Walls which are perpendicular to the edge are safe; roofs are safe along the edge, but attic walls must follow the rules for walls.

OK, that pretty much answers what I was looking at. Not a problem; it just means that I'll ultimately have to make three versions of every row-house-style lot I build - a left-end-of-block version, a right-end-of-block version, and a middle-of-block version. It just seems to be a waste to have that one-build-mode-square "alley" hidden behind walls to get row housing.

Can you please re-link to PlasticBox's thread? It might answer some questions I have about the idea I'm playing with. (specifically, "Are flat roofts/ floor tiles OK along the edge, above ground level?" and "Are diagonal walls running to the edge safe?")
Site Helper
Original Poster
#238 Old 20th Oct 2008 at 3:16 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Oct 2008 at 3:25 AM.
Can you please re-link to PlasticBox's thread?
Pseudo-Rowhouses:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=286909

I added a link to the original post as well.

it just means that I'll ultimately have to make three versions of every row-house-style lot I build - a left-end-of-block version, a right-end-of-block version, and a middle-of-block version. It just seems to be a waste to have that one-build-mode-square "alley" hidden behind walls to get row housing.
Many people build the middle rowhouse and then people who download the lot can remove the extra walls on the left or right as needed for the end-of-block.

"Are flat roofts/ floor tiles OK along the edge, above ground level?" and "Are diagonal walls running to the edge safe?"
Flat roofs and floor tiles are OK along the edge, above ground level.

Diagonal walls which touch the edge of the lot are not safe.

Feel free to ask any other questions that you have.
Test Subject
#239 Old 21st Oct 2008 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Many people build the middle rowhouse and then people who download the lot can remove the extra walls on the left or right as needed for the end-of-block.

Hmmm... Can one add windows to the walls that are that close to the edge? A house that's on the end of the row usually has windows on the side street.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#240 Old 22nd Oct 2008 at 12:24 AM
If you can't place a window normally, try using MoveObjects on. In general, we've found that it's best to place the windows with the arrows facing into the house.
#241 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 4:58 AM
Mootilda, I`ve just used this to adjust a corner lot to include the side street, and it worked fine, but I have a few questions/suggestions.

Is it just me, or does the game not allow us to create corner lots by placing a new empty lot on a corner?

Could you please replace the last "Next >" button with a "Finish" button, or something else besides "Next >", to warn us that we are about to commit our changes?

Would it be possible to add an option to have the LotAdjuster attempt to build new roads when appropriate from road tiles already used in existing roads? I think I lost a couple neighborhood decorations when I "moved" the lot to fix the road. Otherwise, everything worked fine.

I also notice that "moveObjects on" does not allow us to place neighborhood decorations on lots. I tried to replace a fire hydrant that re-seating the lot wiped away, and even with mOo, it wouldn`t go back where it was. Does anyone know a way to put such little decorations on lots? [I mean "on lots", not "in lots". They would still be neighborhood decorations.] I don`t mind that Sims would not see them. I would like to see them. Of course, cloning them as buyables is OK too.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#242 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Is it just me, or does the game not allow us to create corner lots by placing a new empty lot on a corner?
That's correct; there is no way to create a corner lot in-game.

Could you please replace the last "Next >" button with a "Finish" button, or something else besides "Next >", to warn us that we are about to commit our changes?
Good idea. Very easy to implement.

Would it be possible to add an option to have the LotAdjuster attempt to build new roads when appropriate from road tiles already used in existing roads? I think I lost a couple neighborhood decorations when I "moved" the lot to fix the road.
It should be relatively easy to extend the existing road, but adding roads along other edges is surprisingly difficult. My attempts at placing new roads in different directions has failed so far. However, I've been thinking about copying existing roads when possible, because it seems to help with re-placement of the lot in the neighborhood.

I also notice that "moveObjects on" does not allow us to place neighborhood decorations on lots. I tried to replace a fire hydrant that re-seating the lot wiped away, and even with mOo, it wouldn`t go back where it was. Does anyone know a way to put such little decorations on lots? [I mean "on lots", not "in lots". They would still be neighborhood decorations.] I don`t mind that Sims would not see them. I would like to see them. Of course, cloning them as buyables is OK too.
I believe that the only time that the game allows neighborhood decorations to co-exist with a lot is after the lot has been expanded but before you re-place the lot in the neighborhood, and then only if the previous lot imposter was not deleted by the LotAdjuster. When the game regenerates the lot imposter, I believe that it removes those decorations... although I could be wrong about all of this, since it's been awhile since I fooled around with it.

Unfortunately, I really can't think of any way to take advantage of this behavior. Having the LA regenerate the lot imposter itself is a lot of work. But, if the lot imposter isn't regenerated by someone, the lot can appear to be in the wrong place in the neighborhood.

I suppose that I could add an option about whether or not to keep the lot imposter, but I think that you'd find that it produced unsatisfactory results: blue "tears" where the lot was expanded, buildings in the wrong place, etc.
#243 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 10:57 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 26th Oct 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Whatever you can do, whenever you can do it, would be great. The program is very good as is. Much appreciated.

As for neighborhood decorations co-existing with lots, some can, and some cannot. It would be interesting to find out what the difference is. It might then be possible to package an override allowing "normal" decorations to be superimposed over lots. Unfortunately, I do not currently know nearly enough to even begin investigating this, much less doing it.

Any curious people out there willing to turn their curiosity in that direction?

Edited to add: As for the Lot Imposter, a possibility would be to include the option "Delete Lot Imposter", with suitable warnings if it is not selected, and enable running the program with deleting the imposter the only action, so people who choose not to delete the imposter, and are unhappy with the results, can go back and remove it without doing anything else in the process.

I dunno about others, but I wouldn`t mind having that option.

Alchemist
#244 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 12:03 PM
There's a mod by saraMK that allows any hood deco to be placed on lots. It's on MTS2 somewhere...
Site Helper
Original Poster
#245 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 7:58 PM
Sounds like a much better way to go. Can someone post a link?
Alchemist
#246 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 4:10 AM
#247 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 4:19 AM
Thanks, aelflaed! Getting!

Test Subject
#248 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 9:07 AM
can this clone lots eg.hidden lots

I studied for a blood test....*crickets chirp*
Site Helper
Original Poster
#249 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 4:44 PM
No, the LotAdjuster cannot clone lots.

I've never tried this, but I would guess that this set of cheats is your best bet:
- loadLot the hidden lot
- changeLotZoning to make the lot unhidden
- package the unhidden lot
- changeLotZoning to make the original lot hidden again
- install the unhidden copy back into your neighborhood
#250 Old 1st Nov 2008 at 5:43 AM
Mootilda, I`ve got a small problem caused by the use of your tool. I have a few ideas about how to go about fixing it, but I`d like some suggestions from you first.

I expanded a corner lot, but I cannot "move" the lot into its current location to complete the road repairs. The lot looks fine from neighborhood view, but without being able to repair the roads, it looks peculiar when I enter the lot. Everything else is fine, except that a pinball game and the Sim who was playing it was misplaced when I loaded the lot, but snapped into position when I unpaused the game [I always Pause before saving], and there was a surplus of pedestrian portals all stacked up on top of one another, in a location where I had manually moved one some time prior to enlarging the lot.

I expanded a very similar lot across the street from it with no problems. [The road forms an S bend with the two houses on the cross-bar of the S.] The only significant differences I can think of are that the first lot [the good one] is entirely on flat land, while the second lot [the bugged one] has a slight slope on the new land, thanks to a pre-existing neighborhood slope, and the possibility that I may have checked a few different options in the Advanced section that I thought wouldn`t make a difference in this case, and which seemed appropriate.

Is there anything else you need to know to advise me?

Page 10 of 20