Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Reduced Townie Generating (V10 1.19)

by Shimrod101 Posted 18th Sep 2014 at 12:24 AM - Updated 12th Jun 2016 at 7:35 PM by Shimrod101 : Update to 1.19 patch

333 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 229 Feedback Posts, 103 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 14
Test Subject
#51 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:07 PM
Tried this mod and unfortunately it's not working, game spawned around 25 new sims . I have around 75+ "not currenly in world" townies so it's not spawning some because of shortage. Already have some that take up the mixologist and gardener walk-by jobs from previously EA-spawned ones.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#52 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parkjoonho
Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.package
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile *\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*.package
PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*.package
DirectoryFiles unpackedmod autoupdate
This is my "resource.cfg"

I edited your text here into my resource.cfg file, so mine looked exactly as yours here. The game refused to start, it waits a moment after I click on the icon and gives that error message 'some game files are missing or corrupted, please reinstall the game.'

I guess if your game starts up with that resource.cfg file installed that this isn't the issue though; particularly since other XML mods like the plasticbox mod work fine for you. Regardless, I cannot understand why you have gone so deep with the sub-foldering; no one on Planet Sim needs the opportunity to go so far down with sub-folders for CC. How many sub-folders total does that setup allow for? Around 16 million or thereabouts, lol?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#53 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Frimlin
Thanks a lot for this, Shimrod! I did not want or need all the sims it was creating when I was already filling my neighbourhood up with sims I created myself.

Now... all we need is a fix for the "cull" that randomly reduces your population, including deleting partial or full played households, every so often. Is that in your power or do we need to wait for an EA fix?

More info in this post and this thread:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4...p/3538577#M2865

This omg this, if you can fix this you'll be a god. Who knows how long EA will take to patch it. I'm currently only able to play my legacy game out of fear my households will be deleted in my other game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I guess people with only a few of their own sims will see this effect more, those who have umpteen player-generated sims already will see less of it (since obviously the chance is higher for the game to find a suitable victim among the ones that already exist).

What is your thinking concerning this here above if you wouldn't mind thinking about it again? Because what happened to me now today is the following: In the exact same game I've been describing, the population has always been very low, with these 11 service sims it has been at 72. This is total population, everyone. With several days playing I received another sim, and another one a few days later. Then I saw another one who walked into one of the bars when my sim was there. This is now 75 population total. I'm certain of this number.

Immediately thereafter, this night and the following day, an extreme population explosion began with these large numbers of new sims, exactly as some have been describing here. (Which I have obviously had difficulty believing.) It was 20-30 or so the first day, there were 1 or 2 who were families with a child, the rest were single individuals.

I'm wondering if you have seen this number 75 anywhere, if it rings a bell? I've seen that 180 total population number, but it doesn't have any correlation to my explosion at 75 sims. Could this be a "Trigger" event of some kind? (If there are such things in this game.)

If you have any ideas about this please let me know about it. In the meantime I'm removing the file so it isn't available anymore; although it worked perfectly for me when my population was so low, lol.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:42 PM
dear shimrod...please dont give up...i count on you...i have more than 80 families - made on my own - and the game spawned more and more, every our i delete the ugly sims...
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#56 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:45 PM
I started a new game yesterday and use this mod. After playing 15+ hrs now, I'm with 12 npc households. It works......^^
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#57 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I'm wondering if you have seen this number 75 anywhere, if it rings a bell? I've seen that 180 total population number, but it doesn't have any correlation to my explosion at 75 sims. Could this be a "Trigger" event of some kind? (If there are such things in this game.)

75 does not ring a bell, no (I haven't seen a strict numerical limit anywhere that would affect walkby generation) -- but would it be possible that your "boom" is related to the day of the week? Asking because at least some of the walkby tuning varies with weekdays (don't recall the exact numbers, but I guess you must have seen them too -- Makes sense e.g. for parks or "leisurely" areas to be considerably more busy on weekends. Did the boom happen on a weekend perhaps?).

Anyhow, if you already had so many sims of your own that certainly explains why you got no new ones at first. Just for comparison: the game I used most for testing had exactly four(!) player generated sims -- of course, lots more townies than that are required to fulfill the game's walkby needs so I got spammed pretty much immediately.

As for the overall goal -- getting the stupid townie spam to stop -- I still think the most promising option would be to make a script mod, or collaborate with someone who can make it so. From what I can see both in game and in the XML files, the tuning works wonderfully *except* for this one crucial point where the game goes "hey, we need 12 walkbys for this area because it's X time of Y day -- but there's only five existing sims we can kidnap for the job, so yay! Make more randomspam!" instead of "there could be 12 but there's only five available -- so be it". Maybe I'm missing something but I can't think of a way to change this behaviour via tuning. (Turning off those five homeless households is also a good thing but in the end it doesn't have a lasting effect .. )

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Inventor
#58 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 9:19 PM
The game kills and generates sims according to various times, as plasticbox said. But the python file imports so many other files, so this whole system is more complex, I guess.
I don't think EA is going to change so many things with a patch, so please Shimrod don't give up on this! Maybe ask some one for a little bit of help, I'm sure you're able to figure it out.

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#59 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 9:54 PM
Thank you so much! This is really needed mod!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#60 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
75 does not ring a bell, no (I haven't seen a strict numerical limit anywhere that would affect walkby generation) -- but would it be possible that your "boom" is related to the day of the week? Asking because at least some of the walkby tuning varies with weekdays (don't recall the exact numbers, but I guess you must have seen them too -- Makes sense e.g. for parks or "leisurely" areas to be considerably more busy on weekends. Did the boom happen on a weekend perhaps?).

It happened on Thursday night and into Friday. I've already gone past Thursdays and Fridays a couple times before in this game though.

"Anyhow, if you already had so many sims of your own that certainly explains why you got no new ones at first. Just for comparison: the game I used most for testing had exactly four(!) player generated sims -- of course, lots more townies than that are required to fulfill the game's walkby needs so I got spammed pretty much immediately."

I have one sim of my own in this game, he is the only one showing in the list of playables, the only one I've ever played. The only other sims who are moved into this save game by me are Rihanna and Emma Watson from the Gallery. The rest of them are the EA premades like the Goth's and the others in the houses, and a few of the families who were in the game when I started this save game who I did not delete in conjunction with this mod; I deleted the vast majority of the Homeless Townies but left some in place because I thought they were OK. Otherwise all of the empty houses when you first start the game are still empty except for Emma's house and Rihanna's house.

"As for the overall goal -- getting the stupid townie spam to stop -- I still think the most promising option would be to make a script mod, or collaborate with someone who can make it so. From what I can see both in game and in the XML files, the tuning works wonderfully *except* for this one crucial point where the game goes "hey, we need 12 walkbys for this area because it's X time of Y day -- but there's only five existing sims we can kidnap for the job, so yay! Make more randomspam!" instead of "there could be 12 but there's only five available -- so be it". Maybe I'm missing something but I can't think of a way to change this behaviour via tuning. (Turning off those five homeless households is also a good thing but in the end it doesn't have a lasting effect .. )"

Field Researcher
#61 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 3:29 AM
How do you open it in notepad. There isn't an option.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 3:40 AM
I remember reading a random thread earlier this week where someone said that they were suffering from some kind of time loss on Thursdays. It was here on MTS. I wonder if Thursday does have a connection.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#63 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CulMiku
How do you open it in notepad. There isn't an option.

When you click on the resource.cfg file, a window should pop up asking if you want to browse the web or choose a program from a list. You'd choose to choose a program from a list and choose notepad. It should open for you then.
Instructor
#64 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 5:01 AM
I edited your text here into my resource.cfg file, so mine looked exactly as yours here. The game refused to start, it waits a moment after I click on the icon and gives that error message 'some game files are missing or corrupted, please reinstall the game.'

I guess if your game starts up with that resource.cfg file installed that this isn't the issue though; particularly since other XML mods like the plasticbox mod work fine for you. Regardless, I cannot understand why you have gone so deep with the sub-foldering; no one on Planet Sim needs the opportunity to go so far down with sub-folders for CC. How many sub-folders total does that setup allow for? Around 16 million or thereabouts, lol?

Thank you so much anyway, I've tried to switch back the original resource.cfg to install this mod too,and followed your steps again, but it still didnt work...
yes it's wierd,It's the only one mod which doesn't work for me,and the others works fine. It seems that I have to let it go...
However, I'm so appreciated these mods you've created for sims4,and your patience for problems...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#65 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 9:53 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 20th Sep 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
I remember reading a random thread earlier this week where someone said that they were suffering from some kind of time loss on Thursdays. It was here on MTS. I wonder if Thursday does have a connection.

You may be thinking of this? ("Disappearing sims", in Help)

Yah there's some stuff concerning culling in the same XML. But I've never looked at the scripting side of it.

"Anyhow, if you already had so many sims of your own"

I have one sim of my own in this game, he is the only one showing in the list of playables, the only one I've ever played. The only other sims who are moved into this save game by me are Rihanna and Emma Watson from the Gallery. The rest of them are the EA premades like the Goth's and the others in the houses

With "your own" I just meant not-generated-by-the-game-just-to-be-walkby sims -- not necessarily ones that you have created yourself. The population of the townie pool at the pint where the game goes looking for walkby candidates.

Although I do wonder, regarding that disappearing sims issue, if / what differentiation the game actually makes in regards to those prefabricated sims (default inhabitants of the default game) -- I haven't had any vanishments yet, fingers crossed, and I've deleted everyone, put in some tester sims, and then saved that as my "blank slate" game. The (same) tdesc talks a bit about played vs unplayed sims regarding towniefication, but I'm not sure what the actual parameter for that is and how it's determined .. maybe there's something at odds with that which results in too many randoms generated and also the wrong sims culled, when the game can't properly tell apart which sims are which.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#66 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 10:56 AM
I dont know if it helps with any data but i have 11 YA 8 member unrelated families and a few (4 or so) families with kids and teens in my "not currently in the world" section and the game still wants to make more. I once thought the game might think theres too few elders so i kept 2x8 of the newly EA spawned ones. The game STILL wants to spawn more, sometimes 3 other times 8 at a time. My playable households are currenly at 6 households that i play rotationally with aging off except currently played household.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#67 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 2:50 PM
Hey guys, can you give me the file? Shimrod removed it here.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JeromeAndena
Hey guys, can you give me the file? Shimrod removed it here.

He removed it because it wasn't working properly.
Test Subject
#69 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Celiria
He removed it because it wasn't working properly.

Okay, thanks!
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ximenia
This omg this, if you can fix this you'll be a god. Who knows how long EA will take to patch it. I'm currently only able to play my legacy game out of fear my households will be deleted in my other game.

Potentially fixed in this mod:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=535559

Works for me so far. Good luck if you try it out.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#71 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:58 PM
Thank you!
Test Subject
#72 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 2:29 AM
Any word on when this mod might come back, or some other mod that does the same thing?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#73 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 8:08 AM
Soon...lol. This is not SGGrant saying this, this is me saying "soon". I'll make it available today, I've been doing the SimFilters as plasticbox has been attempting to convince me, so it will be different than the first one, presumably will work fine for everyone.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#74 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:29 PM
hui..this are good news shimrod...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#75 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:13 PM
A new version of this mod is made now (file should appear shortly).

Page 3 of 14