Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#101 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ProfPlumbob
You really think you're getting value out of that $20 game pack compared to what we get out of a $40 expansion pack?

Value is opinion based though. Personally I don't know, we don't know anything about this pack except snippets so it is hard to say. What if people enjoy it? Then it would be a bargain. I bought the Telltale games GOT series and it was I think $25 for about 2.5 hours of gameplay. For some that's not worth it, for me it was though. So value is something personal. Just like for some people TS4 they wouldn't buy until it was $40 or less.

Quote: Originally posted by The1996
Yeah that's true, I guess when you're used to something you just expect it. Maybe a change is what they need. If the rumour is true though.

The only thing I ask is what happens to big things like a seasons? I can't see it being sold like that. Unless we have different sized ones which would vary the price.

Yeah that's a good point though! It is hard to see them giving away seasons for $20....

BUT...what if during spring they had a $20 spring GP, then during Summer a $20 summer GP...etc etc...

It's so EA to nickle & dime like that too, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#102 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
They have done the beach every single time. This is a new vacation theme they have never explored before.

Good thing I didn't just say beach. I know it is hard to read, but please do try. Also when I go on vacation I don't go camping. So it would be nice to have more than one option. Oh and it will get boring very quickly with only one option. So again why would I pay for one option and for my sims to remind me constantly about how they want to go on vacation? Especially when I'll get bored after the first run. Doesn't work for me. I want something that will appeal to a wider audience.
Mad Poster
#103 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by audioromance
Good thing I didn't just say beach. I know it is hard to read, but please do try.

Well damn...you good, bruh?
Forum Resident
#104 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 12:24 AM
Good thing I didn't just say beach. I know it is hard to read, but please do try. Also when I go on vacation I don't go camping. So it would be nice to have more than one option. Oh and it will get boring very quickly with only one option. So again why would I pay for one option and for my sims to remind me constantly about how they want to go on vacation? Especially when I'll get bored after the first run. Doesn't work for me. I want something that will appeal to a wider audience.

Why insult? My point is they are doing something they don't always do. I know you said more than the beach but I was responding to that because if it were the beach this time around I'd be "Ugh..again." and it's not even summertime! I don't know, I love the idea of camping if it is done right.

You are right it is just one option, when compared to other vacation EPs that is lacking. But it's not a EP and not even priced that way so that's why I'm not comparing it to that. If this is priced at $40 then EA is crazy. I guess we don't even know the official price yet either.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Forum Resident
#105 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 12:38 AM
Also when I go on vacation I don't go camping.

Well you probably don't usually go on holiday in the distant future either but EA also covered that one so I really don't understand what your personal life has to do with anything here.

Considering how they seem to be setting up this "game pack" concept as a smaller, cheaper alternative to an expansion pack, it's not unlikely that they'll come out with a beach themed "game pack" eventually. My theory is that they'll release three of these separate holiday themed packs, to cover three different themes like each past holiday expansion has done. The info going around is that this first pack is going to be $20, so if they're all that price then that would be 3 destinations for $60, whereas releasing another 3-destination EP would probably run at about $40, like they did with TS3, and that extra $20 seems right up EA's alley.
Anyway, This idea seems pretty interesting, but it would probably be a lot better for people who only want a few of these packs, as it would probably cost a lot more to get every single one than it would to get the same amount of content if it was sold in larger chunks (a.k.a. the expansions we're used to).
Top Secret Researcher
#106 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 12:48 AM
This looks like a waste of money.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Instructor
#107 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 1:41 AM
We really don't know anything yet and are just assuming and accusing at this point, people seem to be super harsh on these forums, i look forward to seeing the full announcement tomorrow
Top Secret Researcher
#108 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 4:11 AM
The fact that Game Packs are even a thing is worrisome. What separates them from SPs? What constitutes putting a feature in a GP but not an EP? Are we going to get another round of 'Store Items tailored to an EP but were not included'?

It looks like more dissection for the sake of profit.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Instructor
#109 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
The fact that Game Packs are even a thing is worrisome. What separates them from SPs? What constitutes putting a feature in a GP but not an EP? Are we going to get another round of 'Store Items tailored to an EP but were not included'?

It looks like more dissection for the sake of profit.

I still believe Game Packs are the new Expansion Packs. In other words, they're doing this instead of making EPs.

Everything about TS4 feels like it's scaled back from the previous iterations, and this "game pack" concept would fit right in with that.
Forum Resident
#110 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 4:37 AM
I remember seeing lots of suggestions around the time that TS3 came out asking for smaller, cheaper EP's for people who wanted only part of an EP but not the rest. The thread that comes to mind was on the official forums and the poster used a hypothetical (at the time) pets EP as an example. He said that he might want dogs in his Sims game but not cats and therefore would like to buy a "partial" pets EP that only had the dog stuff.

Maybe EA actually listened to that lot this time around.
Theorist
#111 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 5:48 AM
Plus, if the rumors are true about GP's being 19.99, then that would open a new envelope for cheaper SP's around 9.99 or 14.99 even, that is if SP's exist this time round. In all honesty I'd much rather SP's be replaced by GP's, and then have the "SPs" just be sets of dlc similar to how they did the Holiday Celebration Pack, but it could work like SimCity where it's only 9.99 for the pack or like 4.99 for the accessories depending on its content. A GP is a better bang for a buck than an SP at 19.99 to be honest.
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 6:29 AM Last edited by MissChevus : 19th Dec 2014 at 7:38 AM.
I was making a community lot for a friend and just happened to notice a new type
of venue, the national park. The only requirement for this type of lot is a grill, a
picnic table, and a trash can. I'm pretty sure they added this with the new patch
since I haven't noticed it before. It's probably one of the lot types that will be in
the new vacation town, Granite Falls.

Edit- This may be related to the new game pack or not, but I just noticed that townies were
autonomously fishing since the new patch.

Screenshots

Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
Simblr
Theorist
#113 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissChevus
I was making a community lot for a friend and just happened to notice a new type
of venue, the national park. The only requirement for this type of lot is a grill, a
picnic table, and a trash can. I'm pretty sure they added this with the new patch
since I haven't noticed it before. It's probably one of the lot types that will be in
the new vacation town, Granite Falls.

Yup, I actually checked that during my let's play today (shameless plug) and realized that it is indeed in game. I kept hearing about it, but never saw it for myself until today (well yesterday as I'm typing this). However, the speculation is that EA intentionally leaked it so that we would dig into the files, which is so sus, but it makes sense. It only took an hour of a thread for a guru to announce that they're announcing it tomorrow.

With that said I'm off to bed, and hope to wake up to a plethora of news, screenshots, and more speculation!
Alchemist
#114 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Yup, I actually checked that during my let's play today (shameless plug)

Well, I need a link to your let's play.
Scholar
#115 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 9:09 AM
wonder how many packs this time 30?
Retired
retired moderator
#116 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 10:02 AM
I suspect this new format - smaller packs - is all about milking the pod of whales they've cultivated, just like other people have suggested. EA's never really been able to see its own long-term interests, so I suspect we with the smaller wallets aren't really even a target any longer. Sure, it's nice if we get a few scraps, but it's just overflow from the big dinner table above us where the action is.

I dunno. Tired of scraps, especially when the whole meal up there looks a bit gross anyway. Plenty of game companies aren't such dicks. It's just a shame The Sims had to be owned by EA.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Forum Resident
#117 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 10:35 AM Last edited by Phoenixfire88 : 19th Dec 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Code, as well as pictures, came with the update. I have a link to the information, but I'm gonna make you read the forum to get the information. If I had to go out and find it, so do you.

BTW, with these threads, I make it my goal not to endorse speculation. The speculation I do is often very mild and directly related to the information I've seen. I don't want to pass out wrong information and if I am wrong, I fix it.

The difference is I did not open a tread about without citing sources for my information, which you should do in order to make things you list seem like speculation to some people.

In general I am quite worried that his will replace EPs... that weird "Sims 4 Cash Card" posted on Sims VIP a while back https://www.flickr.com/photos/simsvip/15686348089 (see how easy it is to include a link? ) only says "Game Packs, Stuff Packs and more" naturally the EPs could be the "more" referred to or the card might not be valid for them, but it seems a bit glum for those, like me who prefer a larger EP to "pick and choose" (and ultimately more expensive) "Mini-EPs"
On one hand it might seem good because you won't have to pay for stuff you don't want (want vacations, but only the beach, not the the mountains? Buy the "Fun in the Sun" GP, but not "Outdoor Retreat") , but if it happens that one "theme" interests you? Lets say they release a string of "Seasons" GPs: "Winter Wonderland" "Spring Rains" "Summer of Sims" and "Colours of Autumn", each for 20$, if you want all four seasons that's 80$ twice as much as the Season EPs for Sims 3 or Sims 2. And that doesn't even include all the little extra stuff that's usually included in an EP which might not be included into these GPs. At the very least I think even EPs will lose their "secondary themes" (like magic in Apartment Live")

As a business model, of course it makes sense (charging the customer more under the guise of giving them more options) but it does make you a bit wistful for the days when they crammed as much as they could into their base games and EPs, while also offering the occasional freeby on their website (aka the Sims 1 and 2 eras)

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
#118 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 10:55 AM
I remember seeing some speculation about smaller packs replacing expansion packs. Meh I'd hate it if these small game packs were the new way for the sims 4.
Forum Resident
#119 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 1:10 PM
These new Game Packs are exactly just like the updates in Sims Free Play for iOS and Android.
With the exception that they are *free* for Freeplay... -.-

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Field Researcher
#120 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plumbobot
I remember seeing some speculation about smaller packs replacing expansion packs. Meh I'd hate it if these small game packs were the new way for the sims 4.

Quicker and cheaper to make, so a lot more made than the amount of expansions and therefore more pricy. Hmph, genius really.

"Find something to believe in, and find it for yourself. When you do, pass it on to the future".
Test Subject
#121 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 3:44 PM
This GP concept reminds me of TS3 store worlds. You get a new, themed, game space, a handful of build/buy and CAS objects, and some "premium content" with gameplay effects.

I wonder if GPs will be as cheaty and game braking as most of TS3's premium content.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#122 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phoenixfire88
The difference is I did not open a tread about without citing sources for my information, which you should do in order to make things you list seem like speculation to some people.

I've been doing these threads for years, starting way back with TS3: Ambitions. I'm well beyond the need to post gross speculation as we have threads for that. Quite a few users and mods here know the whole TISHRA process from TS3 - whenever an expansion, stuff pack or store world was announced/leaked, I made a thread an it was a hub for discussion and information sharing. I've actually had TWO of the most popular and active threads on this entire forum within the TISHRA "series", both of which are now locked from their massive post count. Also, as a personal track record, I've never been wrong about a pre-announced release because I trust my sources, of whom also have good sources. I don't waste my time, nor do I wish to waste yours.

I used to add sources (check my earlier threads, sources are there if they still exist), but I stopped for 2 reasons:
1. People were generally up-to-date on all information, or soon would be. If information was asked for, it was given on request anyway.
2. It ate away at the post count, so I culled it out to make room for expansion pack information.

And as far as I know, EA aren't doing away with Expansion Packs. Stuff Packs, Expansion Packs and Game Packs are still a thing. That's only as far as I know. I don't work for EA. Form the Outside, it just looks like EA's breaking up the game much more to sell to people later.

Oh, and...

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#123 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 4:46 PM
Yeah, seen that video. It's saying a January 2015 release. Oh man, threads that will scream they want it now. *sigh*

I am so happy to see you do the TISHRA threads again, Matrix. Feels like old times.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#124 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 4:56 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simsv...in/photostream/

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#125 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 5:04 PM
Yeah they basically announced that gp replace sp, we'll still get our ep's. And the sale price will be $20--. sounds like an upgrade in value to me considering it offers new gameplay over just items and clothing
Page 5 of 185