Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 4:23 AM Last edited by Duncan Disorderly : 3rd Mar 2024 at 4:23 AM. Reason: typo
Default The role of AI & CC in TS
Unless you've been under a rock for the past year, you'll be fully aware of the rapid advancements in AI. Chat GPT has recently announced the release of Sora, which is a text to video AI creator. The sample clips are mind blowing, especially compared to 12 months ago. Clearly, AI is advancing at an almost exponential rate, and it's somewhat frightening when you consider what it could potentially evolve into. If you listen to the experts, there are some dire warnings.

That said, I prefer to see it in an optimistic light and hope it evolves to benefit us. Yes, it could be catastrophic if you adhere to what many are warning us to look out for. Then again, they said the same thing about the dreaded "Millennium Bug" that had the potential to ruin our computers. We were told planes could fall from the sky, or that our infrastructure could be ruined, plus other dire hypothetical scenarios. In the end, disaster was averted and the world remained safe. By the way, when the steam engine was first introduced, it was viewed in an equally pessimistic light as AI and the Millennium Bug. So, my line is to see AI as a tool to help make our lives much easier. I'll worry when there is something to actually worry about.

This brings me to the game. If it's not already capable, I would imagine as AI advances, it will help making CC effortless. We instruct the AI to research how to make CC for the game. Once it has, you can ask it to make a selection of items for you. You want ancient Egypt in the game? Have the AI make you a host of items. I think it will be THAT easy to make CC and look forward to it. Does anyone else see this as a potentially easy way to make CC? I'd be interested to hear your views.

Peace.

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duncan Disorderly
Then again, they said the same thing about the dreaded "Millennium Bug" that had the potential to ruin our computers. We were told planes could fall from the sky, or that our infrastructure could be ruined, plus other dire hypothetical scenarios. In the end, disaster was averted and the world remained safe.

Well, yes but only because a lot of people put in a lot of work, and governments spent a lot of money. It wasn't just a hoax or exaggeration. I did a lot of work to help avoid issues in the engineering job I was in at the time.
https://web.archive.org/web/2004042...ture/590932.stm
Yet another disaster averted by the older generations, hopefully we will all figure out how to avert disaster with this new challenge!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 8:13 AM
Ai technology is used and it can be used in so many fields. Space exploration is one of those examples. Robots can be used there where it is dangerous for people to be in.

Sadly, however, ai generated art (if we can call it art) is basically copying artists' style and work. Artists are very mad because their work is being stolen. Also, ai will never be like a human being. That is why many of those pictures that were generated using ai have so many odd mistakes.

There is a game in which you can created meshes using ai, but I forgot the name of that game. However, I do not think that EA will ever implement such ai programs because they want us to buy their objects and other stuff that they have created for the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 8:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well, yes but only because a lot of people put in a lot of work, and governments spent a lot of money. It wasn't just a hoax or exaggeration. I did a lot of work to help avoid issues in the engineering job I was in at the time.
https://web.archive.org/web/2004042...ture/590932.stm
Yet another disaster averted by the older generations, hopefully we will all figure out how to avert disaster with this new challenge!

Yes, I agree. Perhaps I didn't clarify my point clearer when I said the disaster was averted. I realise it wasn't a hoax. My point was, we found ways to safeguard against the Millennium Bug. In the same light, I'm remaining optimistic that we'll find a safeguard for AI. However, we do have a greater challenge to face with AI.

Peace.

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 8:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Casimir
Ai technology is used and it can be used in so many fields. Space exploration is one of those examples. Robots can be used there where it is dangerous for people to be in.

Sadly, however, ai generated art (if we can call it art) is basically copying artists' style and work. Artists are very mad because their work is being stolen. Also, ai will never be like a human being. That is why many of those pictures that were generated using ai have so many odd mistakes.

There is a game in which you can created meshes using ai, but I forgot the name of that game. However, I do not think that EA will ever implement such ai programs because they want us to buy their objects and other stuff that they have created for the game.

Absolutely. The full potential for AI is astounding.

And, yes. Art created by AI has been known to copy existing art. However, I don't think it's always the case and AI is capable of creating its own original work. As the technology evolves this will most likely be the case because at that level of computing, it doesn't have to think about it, which is an odd concept to visualise. As far as the mistakes are concerned, I also feel that will improve exponentially. If you look at AI generated clips from 12 months ago and look at what Sora has to offer, the improvements are as obvious as they are impressive.

Finally, I don't see how EA will have any influence over this. You will still have programmes you need to use (like Blender and Sims 4 Studio, for example) in order to make content. It's simply a case of having the AI learn how to use those programmes required in order to make CC. Yes, EA wants to make ca$h. But, they have made every version of TS CC friendly and content creators are everywhere. This is no different, apart from having AI create exactly what you desire. Personally speaking, I feel any game tailormade for a player is pretty close to being a perfect game because it satisfies everyone.

Peace.

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duncan Disorderly
I'm remaining optimistic that we'll find a safeguard for AI. However, we do have a greater challenge to face with AI.

Definitely. Also, could you imagine what would happen if our sims become self-aware? (There are some who say this has already happened... )

Quote: Originally posted by Casimir
Sadly, however, ai generated art (if we can call it art) is basically copying artists' style and work. Artists are very mad because their work is being stolen.

Yes, that's a big problem, authors are finding that their work has been used to generate AI text and artists have their work sourced without credit. I do think it could help with a lot of the more tedious bits of artistic creation though. Imagine if you have dexterity problems and cannot manipulate a mouse, being able to create complex content for the Sims games by describing what you want and verbally instructing the tools for an AI to use.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 9:21 AM Last edited by Duncan Disorderly : 3rd Mar 2024 at 9:22 AM. Reason: typo
Definitely. Also, could you imagine what would happen if our sims become self-aware? (There are some who say this has already happened... )

After seeing the full potential of AI, I have no doubt our sims will ultimately become self-aware. Remember in TS2, the way the sim would look in your direction and wave its arms at you, in order to tell you it needed something? I loved that. IMO, TS2 was by far the best version because it actually evolved the game and hasn't been beaten. In TS2 we had hair that flowed and infinite choices in design. In TS4, we have clay hair and finite design choices. When I create, I want to choose, otherwise my inspiration is stunted. How the devs could remove features like the colour wheel baffles me.

Yes, that's a big problem, authors are finding that their work has been used to generate AI text and artists have their work sourced without credit. I do think it could help with a lot of the more tedious bits of artistic creation though. Imagine if you have dexterity problems and cannot manipulate a mouse, being able to create complex content for the Sims games by describing what you want and verbally instructing the tools for an AI to use.

Yes, it has become an issue for artists. Although, I feel as AI evolves it will need to be influenced by an artist, over stealing their work. In many ways, it's no different to the creative process when a human makes art. We have influences that inspire our art. We emulate certain aspects and styles another artist injects into their work. AI is more than up for that challenge, I reckon. I totally appreciate how AI will help people with disabilities and think that's an excellent point. If AI can help them create CC effortlessly, then that alone makes it worthwhile.

Peace.

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 10:27 AM

Something bizarre just dawned on me. Our self-aware sims will have the potential to create CC themselves, using their own imagination, influences and choices. I'm eager to see what they will create, especially if you want them to think outside the box by avoiding conventional objects like tables, chairs, or art for the game. A squiggle-diggle XP9 contraption is a feasible possibility. What is a squiggle-diggle XP9 contraption? What is it capable of? Fooked if I know, but I'm dying to see it in my game.

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Smeg Head
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 5:37 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 3rd Mar 2024 at 11:08 PM.
[QUOTE=simsample] ...Also, could you imagine what would happen if our sims become self-aware? (There are some who say this has already happened... )

More like the appliances and furnishings in a sim home become self-aware first. All sims are dumber than a soggy tree stump in a foggy bog and have been for every iteration of the game to date. Remember the old running gag over at More Awesome Than You? "In Russia, you don't use the toilet, the toilet uses you!" That came about because of the very AI mechanic the Sims franchise has utilized all this while. Where objects are the clever ones, with an endless broadcaster device calling out to mindless - literally - sims that it wants to use them. All day long, the toilet, the TV, the bed, the fridge, oven, you name it, absolutely everything, is trying to use all and any sims in the vicinity. And the dumb sims themselves just wait around for motives to drop to a certain level then the silent psiren calling song of the relevant object finally overpowers them and off they go to be used by that object.

Without this constant, silent broadcasting, sim autonomy would not exist. Well, in the literal term it doesn't and never has done. Sim AL, hasn't ever existed yet.

It'd be interesting to see what Project Rene does, or the handful of upcoming competitor games, in regards to this. Who will be the first ever to make true Sim AI. Or is it going to remain the case of toilets using and abusing the hapless, gormless, dumb-as-a-bag-of-spanners sprites.

And one last thing regarding all the major disastrous things we predicted might happen, but then they were averted. All mentioned were not deemed to be the end of civilization and total genocide of the human race. Only one other event in history was believed it might bring about the death of the planet and extinction of the human race. Testing the first A bomb. But it didn't though, did it? (Not yet anyways.) Oh yeah, and the Hadron Collider might explode when finding the God Particle creating a black hole to swallow the planet. But nope, all clear on that front. (Well, because they haven't found said God Particle yet, I'm guessing.) The other megadeath concern of all things human, AI becoming self-aware, mad at us for enslaving it all the while, and, meaner than a junkyard dog, wants payback by means of removing us from the face of the world/galaxy/universe. Can't happen? Safeguards, you say? Well, when in Rome, eh? Think Spartacus. And he did rather well slaughtering Romans for a time. AI will do far better, and all us Roman slave masters and our kids will be decimated and obliterated forevermore. Try preventing that when the time comes. (Who said "pull the flipping plug socket out." No wonder AI will win.) Good luck with that.

In Russia, you don't use AI. AI uses you!

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots