Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 11:24 AM Last edited by Softlism : 23rd May 2022 at 4:39 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED] How to let natural light shine through enclosed open rooms/courtyards?
It remains forever dark in the atrium of the Monty Ranch and have to light them up artificially. Any suggestions what hacks I can use to allow natural light into an atrium kind of space?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 25th Sep 2021 at 11:03 AM
This is so annoying... I usually use invisible lights in enclosed patios or inner courtyards but this is still not like daylight
What would be great would be a lighting mod making it so that non-covered "rooms" are treated as outdoor space but I have no idea whether it is even possible
Greenhouse roofs let the light shine through if I'm not mistaken, maybe you could try this invisible recolor: https://criquette-was-here.tumblr.c...d/greenhouse-DR
Instructor
#3 Old 25th Sep 2021 at 11:13 AM
There's a way to make 'functional' courtyard, but only if your house has foundation.
Check this house and read comments: https://modthesims.info/d/403764/hi...o-cc-house.html
And this: https://modthesims.info/showthread....851#post3172851
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 8:50 AM
@Monsieur_Oshima: for me, greenhouse roofs won't allow light if I place them on top of regular walls.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 27th Sep 2021 at 9:23 PM
oh you're probably right, I guess I've always used them in combination with at least a portion of greenhouse walls and never noticed
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Apr 2022 at 2:12 PM
@CatherineTCJD @Lfact I took a look at Mootilda's Sunny Courtyard tutorial, but I want to double check a few things with you before I take any actions (I have checkmarked the backup option btw)
* Is it correct that I should lower the entire lot to a 2-click foundation? (the screenshots were from an older version of GA, so some settings might look different)
* And that I should elevate the courtyard with 16 clicks up?
* Does the courtyard have to remain raised?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Apr 2022 at 3:48 PM
Hi @Softlism
According to Moo:
I created a 2-click high foundation which was open under the bathrooms at the back of the house, so that the courtyard is actually a part of the yard. Then, I raised the inside of the courtyard to full-height, so that the lighting would properly illuminate at night.
So... yes, you will want to 2-Click the whole house. Then delete the 2-click/foundation wall in an inconspicuous place, and bring the inner courtyard area up to full height. (Turn on CFE and flatten the roof area across the top of the courtyard, so it is even with the walls.)
The "courtyard" itself is not raised...
I can't wait to see your finished product! Good luck

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Apr 2022 at 6:29 PM
@CatherineTCJD I realized the courtyard is built on a 4-click foundation, so it's at the same level as the rest of the house. In that case, should I remove the foundation of the courtyard first? And what if I want to keep the entire house lowered at 2-clicks high + modular stairs at the end of the courtyard fix?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 25th Apr 2022 at 6:57 PM
Scholar
#10 Old 25th Apr 2022 at 7:09 PM
For a prison I built for the Ne'er-do-wells in my post apocalyptic hood (looters and brigands) I used a fake wall in place of the deleted wall; and disguised it with pillars and assorted greenery.

Any mods would work as well and probably look better, though -- as the issue is that you have to have a nearby opening to the outside or be forced to have a broken/open wall slot throughout the entire house or building.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Apr 2022 at 1:11 AM
You could also use Numenor's hidden wall windows to sneak light in... (Sorry I don't have a linksie - but they're here on MTS!)

and Vintage Stuffeths
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th May 2022 at 10:20 AM
@CatherineTCJD I've made some more screenshots of the enclosed courtyard: https://imgur.com/a/e8H5QaT
Can you help me out with how I should approach it with GridAdjustor?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th May 2022 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Softlism
Can you help me out with how I should approach it with GridAdjustor?

Sure thing!
But, even before using the G-A - try this, for proof of concept...
Remove the floor in the courtyard (temporarily move the fountain to the yard somewhere.)
The actual floor for the courtyard will be the ground level.
Then you'll want to remove a part of the 4-click "foundation" walls (whatever you used - foundation or CFE'd walls... remove a path of it all the way to the outside. I'd go to the front, as it looks like the shortest route.)
As soon as you open it to the outside, you should see daylight in the courtyard. Did that work?

Then we can G-A it down to a 1 or 2 step foundation (if you still want to?)

and Vintage Stuffeths
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd May 2022 at 1:45 PM
@CatherineTCJD Indeed, daylight is allowed through the courtyard after creating an opening of the foundation throughout the hallway. Pics:
https://imgur.com/KbNxQt2
https://imgur.com/1S25QeT
https://imgur.com/ALkV7QG

If I understood correctly, is the foundation opening the only workaround for a daylit courtyard, thus having to mask the open foundation with deco or a half-wall if I want to keep the foundation 4 clicks high?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd May 2022 at 2:39 PM
...is the foundation opening the only workaround for a daylit courtyard, thus having to mask the open foundation with deco or a half-wall if I want to keep the foundation 4 clicks high?

Yes, that's the only work-around I know of. I found it easier to mask the open foundation by 2-clicking it. But, I'm not sure that's what you want?
Your pictures look great!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd May 2022 at 4:39 PM
@CatherineTCJD thanks a lot! I just stick to 4 clicks for this Lot because the interior of the house has already been heavily decorated, which would probably be a mess if I lower down the foundation.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd May 2022 at 8:34 PM
@CatherineTCJD thanks a lot! I just stick to 4 clicks for this Lot because the interior of the house has already been heavily decorated...

Yeah... when you lower the foundation, you have to click on each item in the house to stop them from "floating" Easier to keep it at full height. .

and Vintage Stuffeths