Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 3:02 AM Last edited by stevo445 : 1st Apr 2021 at 3:09 AM.
Default Broken Stairs!!!!!!!
Hey People. I am in the midst of painstakingly constructing a large old-style manor and the stairwell to the second floor is unusable. The sims will always say there is something blocking them from using the stairs. It's not a straight step. I curves a few times. I'll post a picture for reference. I have tried deleting the steps and replacing them in the exact same way. Did not help. I deleted all the pictures and lights that were placed near the stairs. did not help. Has anybody run into this problem before? Any tips/solutions? If it helps I could upload the files for the lot so you could see for yourself. Thanks in advance for the help!
Stevey
Screenshots

This is my signature.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 5:08 AM
It's a weird bug. you need to remove this invisible part of the fence at the top end of the staircase.
EA decided it's not invisible to sims anymore, so they can't see how they go past it..
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Keren
It's a weird bug. you need to remove this invisible part of the fence at the top end of the staircase.
EA decided it's not invisible to sims anymore, so they can't see how they go past it..

How do I do that?

This is my signature.
Scholar
#4 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 11:11 AM
Take the fence/wall tool, hold down ctrl and build* a fence/wall on the top front of the stairs, where I marked it in the screenshot
*by holding ctrl down you actually demolish instead of building, so this way you demolish the invisible fence that's there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2021 at 2:43 AM
Take the fence/wall tool, hold down ctrl and build* a fence/wall on the top front of the stairs, where I marked it in the screenshot
*by holding ctrl down you actually demolish instead of building, so this way you demolish the invisible fence that's there.

THANK YOU!!!! That did the trick. How did you know there was an invisible wall/fence there? Or is that just the issue 99% of the time?
Anyway thanks so much I've learnt a new trick for future reference.

This is my signature.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Apr 2021 at 3:08 AM

So it definitely worked but it caused a new problem for which I don't think there is a workaround. Deleting the invisible fence and now the game no longer recognizes the space as a closed room, so all the columns and stuff I had on the outside show on the inside and there is no way of fixing that. Stumped. See screenshot for reference.
Screenshots

This is my signature.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 1st Apr 2021 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stevo445
So it definitely worked but it caused a new problem for which I don't think there is a workaround. Deleting the invisible fence and now the game no longer recognizes the space as a closed room, so all the columns and stuff I had on the outside show on the inside and there is no way of fixing that. Stumped. See screenshot for reference.

If you select that space as a room, then use "Remove wall" on that side, sometimes that keeps it as a room while removing the barrier. If you're lucky.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Apr 2021 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
If you select that space as a room, then use "Remove wall" on that side, sometimes that keeps it as a room while removing the barrier. If you're lucky.

I miss the simpler days of The Sims 3 when you placed four walls and a step and there was never a problem. If you wanted the second floor open to the first you just deleted the floor tiles. Easy peasy. Why on God's great Earth would Maxis pull a 180 and make it just the most complicated thing ever. Okay so the ability to have a "room" that you can pick up and resize and stuff and save to the gallery is cool, the issues it causes totally outweigh the benefits in my opinion. I've never downloaded a room from the gallery and I've never reused a room. And I could live without being able to move a room if it meant not having to deal with glitches like this. It's so frustrating. It's cool that you can now have different shaped stairs but it seems to break the game a lot. I hope they fix these stupid things in the sims 5. I digress.

This is my signature.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 5:47 PM
This method works, no mistake and always keeps the room as a room. You can either choose to have a fenced loft or no barrier at all.
The issue is actually not the fence on top of the stairs, it's a common misconception. The issue is related to platforms, where now removing the floor somehow seems to prohibit the stairs from removing the floor and making the sims think the ceiling is still there...

https://youtu.be/FowpM-3Gdnc