Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 5:41 PM
Default Swap the WA World for updated version?
If I fix say, Al Simhara and add new builds, etc, is there a way to import my changes to that world, in other words play my world in place of the EA Al Simhara?

I know I can use Nraas mods to play the world, but what I'd like to do is fix issues with the world, put some new build areas in but have it populated with the usual AS character in their homes and in their jobs when I play it, like when I choose to go to Al Simhara the normal way it takes me to the modified world instead of the EA version? I really don't know how else to explain what I'm looking for.
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 6:07 PM
I'm not sure if nraas Traveller is necessary for this, but it is possible to do that if you copy the nhd file of the Al Simhara world in the save where you fixed it up and put it in your other save's folder, where you plan to travel from that world to Al Simhara. Though, I seem to remember it being said that you shouldn't replace an nhd file, only add a new one of a new world. So if you have already travelled to Al Simhara in a save, you can't swap that version of Al Simhara with a new one. You can only add the nhd file when there is no existing version of Al Simhara in that save.
This also goes for main residential worlds, so what I did once, was use a populated save of a custom world, and put the nhd file into my current save file, and then moved my sims to the new populated town with nRaas traveller. Rather than moving them into a new instance of the custom world, which would have been unpopulated.

Hope this helps
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
I'm not sure if nraas Traveller is necessary for this, but it is possible to do that if you copy the nhd file of the Al Simhara world in the save where you fixed it up and put it in your other save's folder, where you plan to travel from that world to Al Simhara. Though, I seem to remember it being said that you shouldn't replace an nhd file, only add a new one of a new world. So if you have already travelled to Al Simhara in a save, you can't swap that version of Al Simhara with a new one. You can only add the nhd file when there is no existing version of Al Simhara in that save.
This also goes for main residential worlds, so what I did once, was use a populated save of a custom world, and put the nhd file into my current save file, and then moved my sims to the new populated town with nRaas traveller. Rather than moving them into a new instance of the custom world, which would have been unpopulated.

Hope this helps

Yes it helps a lot Zoe. I dip in and out so haven't kept up with all of this for a while. The game I'm playing now is new as it's a new world I made and there are no travel worlds as yet so that should be good, I'll give it a go. I just want to have a nice big fancy hotel as the base camp, some good community lots and a few nice houses. Does this mean I don't need to install my version of the world?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 6:24 PM
The important distinction is where is the "fixing" happening? In a gameplay and you have a Save file, or in CAW and you edit the lots in EIG and do other fixing like for the world routing fixes?
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
The important distinction is where is the "fixing" happening? In a gameplay and you have a Save file, or in CAW and you edit the lots in EIG and do other fixing like for the world routing fixes?

Like I said above I am creating a build area for new builds which means changing terrain and roads which affects routing, etc. I want a whole tourist area and have to flatten a mountain to do it, hotel, gym, buyable properties and so on. If I was just using EIG I wouldn't need to ask about replacing the world.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#6 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 8:02 PM
Oops I think I misunderstood what you wanted to do. 
I don't know much about CAW and how replacing the world itself would work, but if you made it like a standalone copy, and edited certain things in a save rather than just with CAW (population perhaps?) you could use the nhd file to send your sims there as if it was just any other new location. I'm not sure about actually completely replacing the original with the new one. 

So if you are doing all the editing with CAW and CAW's Edit in Game function, then ellacharmed could probably help you there  
But from what I have heard, certain things are either very difficult or impossible to fix without doing so in a save file, so in that case you will need to use the nhd method, after you've edited the world in CAW to get the version of the world from the fixed save into your regular save
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Oops I think I misunderstood what you wanted to do. 
I don't know much about CAW and how replacing the world itself would work, but if you made it like a standalone copy, and edited certain things in a save rather than just with CAW (population perhaps?) you could use the nhd file to send your sims there as if it was just any other new location. I'm not sure about actually completely replacing the original with the new one. 

So if you are doing all the editing with CAW and CAW's Edit in Game function, then ellacharmed could probably help you there  
But from what I have heard, certain things are either very difficult or impossible to fix without doing so in a save file, so in that case you will need to use the nhd method, after you've edited the world in CAW to get the version of the world from the fixed save into your regular save

No I'm fixing the world in CAW and adding a new area for tourist builds. I would just like it to be populated with the Sims from Al Simhara.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 8:27 PM
/trying to find the word "mountain" in post#1....
/and now explicitly have the "fixing the world in CAW" in post#7
/nods head in understanding after 7 posts

"creating a build area for new builds which means changing terrain and roads which affects routing"
For all I know, when you say this, you meant editing Lots. As I'm not a mind-reader, "fix issues with the world, put some new build areas" is all to be done within the confines of a Lot and its routing.
So now that we've established you're doing it all in CAW, then you'd need to extract the resources that you touched when you "fixed" the world. Just like how I identified and extracted the resources for the "resources for <world name> fixes" downloads that I provide. That is done by using various comparer and diff tools and research research research
- the SimsWiki to identify what all the resource types are and for what information
- for package files (the Jones has one on Simlogical, I forgot the name (maybe package compare??) )
- for text and HEX data (notepad++)
- might be others I'm simply forgetting

Lots of hunting and pecking and trial and error and research.

As a stepping stone, you can refer to the "resources for WA fixed worlds" and see what the resource types are that I have in the zip file and how these relate to the changes that I made in those fixes. Then, if you're making the same "fixes", you can target to extract those same resource types from the working .world file in user docs\CAW and import it to the world file in program files\WA\worlds path.
First, of course, test the exported world and install as a cc world to ensure the fixes are as you want them before you go through the hassle of extracting and importing.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
/trying to find the word "mountain" in post#1....
/and now explicitly have the "fixing the world in CAW" in post#7
/nods head in understanding after 7 posts

"creating a build area for new builds which means changing terrain and roads which affects routing"
For all I know, when you say this, you meant editing Lots. As I'm not a mind-reader, "fix issues with the world, put some new build areas" is all to be done within the confines of a Lot and its routing.
So now that we've established you're doing it all in CAW, then you'd need to extract the resources that you touched when you "fixed" the world. Just like how I identified and extracted the resources for the "resources for <world name> fixes" downloads that I provide. That is done by using various comparer and diff tools and research research research
- the SimsWiki to identify what all the resource types are and for what information
- for package files (the Jones has one on Simlogical, I forgot the name (maybe package compare??) )
- for text and HEX data (notepad++)
- might be others I'm simply forgetting

Lots of hunting and pecking and trial and error and research.

As a stepping stone, you can refer to the "resources for WA fixed worlds" and see what the resource types are that I have in the zip file and how these relate to the changes that I made in those fixes. Then, if you're making the same "fixes", you can target to extract those same resource types from the working .world file in user docs\CAW and import it to the world file in program files\WA\worlds path.
First, of course, test the exported world and install as a cc world to ensure the fixes are as you want them before you go through the hassle of extracting and importing.

There is no need to be so rude or to take such a haughty attitude. I'll get my help elsewhere, there is no way you can help anyone communicating like that and it's not the first time.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 9:18 PM
This was the clue, original post "is there a way to import my changes to that world, in other words play my world in place of the EA Al Simhara?"
In the Arena
retired moderator
#11 Old 18th Sep 2020 at 7:34 AM
I was rude? I asked a simple question and got attitude, so I gave it back. If 2 separate people misunderstood you, where is the miscommunication coming from? So, good luck, then!
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Sep 2020 at 8:02 AM
What a waste of time this site is now, if it wasn't clear a simple question, without the haughtiness, could have cleared that up. No wonder there's an echo when you sign in here now, the site is dead because of people like you. We can't even delete our profiles.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 18th Sep 2020 at 11:03 AM
Locked thread