Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:51 AM
I'm getting this error as well..

So I got 7-zip and now this. Someone mind explaining why this is happening?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 7:06 AM
tycox, are you trying to unzip a package there? That won't work .. unzipping is for zips.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 7:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
tycox, are you trying to unzip a package there? That won't work .. unzipping is for zips.

Trying to extract the information from the .package file with 7zip. I don't understand why when I go to open the file in S4PE it gives me that message saying I'm not extracting with 7zip. Idk what I'm doing.. lol. I'm trying to test things to get a better understanding of things, but now I'm stuck trying to resolve this. It seems like other aren't having this issue after installing/configuring 7zip, but I still am. I'm not even able to open the .package file in 7zip.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 7:26 AM
You don't open a package with 7zip, but with S4PE.

Sounds like you should head over to the Tutorials forum, there's a sticky with links at the top .. read one of the basic ones about recolouring (the one at PlatinumSimmers is quite good from what I recall), that should give you an idea of what S4PE is and does.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 7:36 AM Last edited by tycox94 : 6th Sep 2014 at 8:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
You don't open a package with 7zip, but with S4PE.

Sounds like you should head over to the Tutorials forum, there's a sticky with links at the top .. read one of the basic ones about recolouring (the one at PlatinumSimmers is quite good from what I recall), that should give you an idea of what S4PE is and does.

I understand. I've been trying to open \Documentation\Examples\simsmodsquad-novelist.package from the recent documentation that was released so I can get an understanding of how the files are laid out. Is S4PE not useful in doing so?

SimGuruModSquad said to "Extract all the records in simsmodsquad-novelist.package to this new directory with the names of the format..." what would be the best practice in extracting the content from the package files?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 10:03 AM
Yes, you should open simsmodsquad-novelist.package (and all .package files) with s4pe, which has options to extract the resources inside.

When you download s4pe you get a .zip which has to be extracted into a folder using 7-zip before you can run the program. Maybe this is what's causing your confusion?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 10:19 AM
Splitting this off into a new thread since it sounds less + less like an S4PE issue. tycox, feel free to edit the title if you want!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Yes, you should open simsmodsquad-novelist.package (and all .package files) with s4pe, which has options to extract the resources inside.

When you download s4pe you get a .zip which has to be extracted into a folder using 7-zip before you can run the program. Maybe this is what's causing your confusion?

Yep! This did the trick:

Thank you guys for your help. I was getting so frustrated last night. I spend about 3 hrs trying to figure out why it was doing that.