Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 3:43 PM
Default Custom Reward Trait Causing Endless Loading Screen
So, I've run into an issue. I generally use Zerbu's Mod Constructor to write the bulk of my custom traits, going back to edit the code in S4S to achieve effects you can't get in the MC alone, and I've found a problem. I want to create a custom reward trait but to my knowledge the MC doesn't really have that functionality by itself. So I tried to use this tutorial by Scarlet to accomplish my goal. The tutorial is somewhat out of date so you can't follow it precisely (the Mod Constructor doesn't function the same way now as it did when she wrote the tutorial) but you can change the coding the way she describes, and I'm 90% certain I followed those coding changes correctly. However, when I place the package in the game, it just loads endlessly. It lets you get all the way to the household selection screen but then when you choose the household it just stays on the loading screen without ever loading the family. I'm stumped. To test this I made an essentially a blank trait, with an icon and a name but no buffs or anything that I could be coding incorrectly, but it still does it. So it's something about the coding I followed in the tutorial that's the problem, and since it's so old (by two years I think) I'm guessing the game has changed in a significant enough way to render that tutorial useless. Does anyone have any insights? The trait I want to add functions just fine as a personality trait, but I really need it to be a reward trait to accomplish what I'm aiming for. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 7:06 PM
You don't want to follow that tutorial because it's an override, and I know the whims tracker did change somewhat but I don't remember how. Use XML Injector instead though to avoid overriding and causing conflicts, it has an example in the documentation (as a file you can import to S4S, not the .pdf). https://scumbumbomods.com/#/xml-injector/

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
You don't want to follow that tutorial because it's an override, and I know the whims tracker did change somewhat but I don't remember how. Use XML Injector instead though to avoid overriding and causing conflicts, it has an example in the documentation (as a file you can import to S4S, not the .pdf). https://scumbumbomods.com/#/xml-injector/

Ahh, that sounds promising! I will definitely give it a try. By the way, I've looked through quite a few threads for information, and see you reply all the time. Just wanted to say thanks for helping out us newbies. I really do appreciate it
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 1:39 AM

So I've tried using the XML injector and I can't get it to work. The game is properly loading now, but the reward trait isn't in the reward store. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong, as the coding is pretty simple, so I'm pretty frustrated with myself. The only thing I can think that maybe I'm doing wrong is that I have the wrong trait name in the XML coding (and because it was created in the constructor, it has a long set of numbers) but I pulled it from the Local Tunings menu, so it should be correct in that case, right? I feel pretty lost.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 5:01 PM
You're welcome!

Quote: Originally posted by jessienebulous
So I've tried using the XML injector and I can't get it to work. The game is properly loading now, but the reward trait isn't in the reward store. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong, as the coding is pretty simple, so I'm pretty frustrated with myself. The only thing I can think that maybe I'm doing wrong is that I have the wrong trait name in the XML coding (and because it was created in the constructor, it has a long set of numbers) but I pulled it from the Local Tunings menu, so it should be correct in that case, right? I feel pretty lost.

You need to reference the tuning ID, aka s= on the XML tab of your trait when making the snippet for XML Injector, which I believe is what you meant since you mentioned long set of numbers. Also, did you make sure to assign the trait as a reward trait in MC, seen here? https://modthesims.info/showthread....607#post5663607

If you still can't get it to show up please drop your .package here (or message it to me) so I can take a look.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2020 at 2:10 AM
You're welcome!

You need to reference the tuning ID, aka s= on the XML tab of your trait when making the snippet for XML Injector, which I believe is what you meant since you mentioned long set of numbers. Also, did you make sure to assign the trait as a reward trait in MC, seen here? https://modthesims.info/showthread....607#post5663607

If you still can't get it to show up please drop your .package here (or message it to me) so I can take a look.

Yeah, I'm still totally lost XD I did mark it a gameplay trait, and referenced the S= in the XML snippet, so I have no idea. I'll send you the package. Thank you for taking a look at it