Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2008 at 10:01 PM
Default Traits Question
So we know sims will be getting traits and stuff like "schmoozer" or "natural cook" and stuff...

But how will sims get these when they're born?

With personality points, sims got random ones when they were born, and then older sims could encourage them to change the points around some.

Will sims be born with five random traits? Will there be a pop up asking you to choose traits when they become a teenager like there is for aspiration?

What I think would be really cool is if the sims get their traits when they're a teen based off of what happened to them as a child. Like if they were spoiled, they get snobby, and if they were raised to do really well in school, they'd be intelligent, etc...
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 27th Apr 2008 at 10:04 PM
Ah, but if they get traits based on how they're raised as kids, does that mean that all kids will be cookie cutter?
Maybe they get a randomly selected sample of thier ancestors (so you can get a randomly intelligent person if thier grandomther was, despite dumb parents) as children, and get picked based on childhood experiences when they grow up? Or you select everything in the first place? I doubt that latter one though.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Apr 2008 at 10:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that sims will be able to inherit the traits.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 3:27 AM
Yes, all Sims are born with traits, it pretty much implied so with the part about pregnant Sims being able to influence what the babies' traits would be depending on the actions occurring during the pregnancy. Plus, why wouldn't they? Traits are the replacement of personality points and last time I checked in Sims 2 babies were born with a random personality, just that you wouldn't see it until they were toddlers.

However, I do hope that they can be either changed/revised as they get older or when they start doing things that are not of their traits. Such as an evil Sim start doing good things on a constant basis for a certain amount of time until they would turn good. But we'll see!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Traits are the replacement of personality points and last time I checked in Sims 2 babies were born with a random personality, just that you wouldn't see it until they were toddlers.

Aren't they at least supposed to be based on parents' genetic personalities? Actually they seem to come from parents current personalities. I had a werewolf's daughter that pretty much had werewolf personality even though father's (the werewolf's) genetic traits were quite different and mother's personality is nowhere near that.

Anyways, I hope there will be some kind of nature vs nurture thing. Sims should be born with some tendencies inherited from parents, and some could be learned. A few could be completely random. Most, if not all, traits should be in all 3 categories. For example, a sim might be born with Shy trait, but might get rid of it if you make him get into social situations and make lots of friends. Likewise another sim might gain the Shy trait from having bad childhood experiences about other people. Naturally sims should be the more susceptible to these trait changes the yonger they are.

A lurking translator who goes stealthily converting text strings into finnish when he feels like doing that, which is very rarely.
Instructor
#6 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 1:40 PM
This all sounds so good everyone, I just can't wait until the actual game comes out so that we can see for ourselves how traits are going to inflicted into each and every sim!
Instructor
#7 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 8:30 PM
The GFW article mentioned that some traits will be inherited, while others will be influence-based.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kissamies
Aren't they at least supposed to be based on parents' genetic personalities? Actually they seem to come from parents current personalities. I had a werewolf's daughter that pretty much had werewolf personality even though father's (the werewolf's) genetic traits were quite different and mother's personality is nowhere near that.

Yes, they are genetic, I mistyped what I was trying to say. I meant random as in it is a random selection FROM the parents personality points. I can see why you misunderstood, sorry about that.
#9 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 7:14 PM
=) pizza-lover and vegan traits maybe will come when the sim eats only(or mostly) pizza and veggies
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 2:59 AM
I do wonder if we can have Sims who are both pizza-lovers and vegetarians. Then again, even though you can have a meatless pizza, I still have never heard of such a thing. Most pizza-lovers generally like pepperoni if anything.
Instructor
#11 Old 2nd May 2008 at 11:47 PM
Just thinking.. Wouldn't it be cool to make the Sims have a party, and say there was an 'unlucky' trait-ed SIm in the room? Then the cork might hit him!
I feel so evil.

♣. Call Me Janne .♣
Looking for staff for a new sim magazine (based in S Korea)
Tweet Tumblr Coming Soon