Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 5:26 PM
Default possible growth problem
i was thinking just now, that when your townies grow old and have children, it would cause the town population to grow and grow and keep on growing.

Wouldn't such a thing cause to many people to be in the game and that there might be overpopulation(and possibly go slow and crash).

or is there perhaps some population control program in it

my dear lord, it's the ferocious black beast of Rhipsanydoridontodontodontodon, with its large black teeth that can eat 3 humans at once, mate 3 times a year, can reach an average speed of 80 miles/hour, and is 50 ft aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhh

P.S. if you have seen him put this in your signature
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 5:38 PM
If they grow old they will die too and the population will even out eventually. The trick is for townies not to have more than two children.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Apr 2008 at 4:19 AM
Unless you're talking about character files? In that case, I'd be worried, too, because the game would get slower after the files would accumulate. Unless they can be completely wiped out of your computer after the Sims die.
#4 Old 13th Apr 2008 at 4:45 AM
Following on from what 'frankie' said, the old character files could just slow the computer down for a few seconds when they are accessed...they need not be 'loaded' every time the game is played, as the characters are no longer alive. If, say, we can resurrect Sims, then that is when the files would be loaded.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Apr 2008 at 8:19 AM
well that would solve the problems

my dear lord, it's the ferocious black beast of Rhipsanydoridontodontodontodon, with its large black teeth that can eat 3 humans at once, mate 3 times a year, can reach an average speed of 80 miles/hour, and is 50 ft aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhh

P.S. if you have seen him put this in your signature
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Apr 2008 at 4:03 AM
I never thought of that, good idea, Higgins. Because I still want to be able to have the option of resurrection.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 4:52 AM
Unforunately, it can still boogle down peoples computers with unnecessary files and of course create the problems they had in the sims 2. Too many double character files and such the neighborhood went BOOM. I'm hoping it will delete files after so long without blowing things up.
#8 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by audioromance
Unforunately, it can still boogle down peoples computers with unnecessary files and of course create the problems they had in the sims 2. Too many double character files and such the neighborhood went BOOM. I'm hoping it will delete files after so long without blowing things up.

The Sims 3 will most likely use different file formats, and different ways of storing character information. The problem might no longer be a problem with the more advanced file structures they will use.
Test Subject
#9 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 3:07 PM
I haven't heard about this.
Is it a sims 3 feature that townies grow old and have families of their own outside your control?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 3:38 PM
Yes, nickyXjayne. Not just townies - ALL sims that you aren't currently playing. The neighborhood basically plays itself, and you play your current family.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 15th Apr 2008 at 3:43 PM
Maybe they need to put in some sort of population control, like fertility going down when population is high, or accidents becoming more likely especially for those non-player created sims.

A lurking translator who goes stealthily converting text strings into finnish when he feels like doing that, which is very rarely.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 16th Apr 2008 at 2:08 AM
And no kids for some families just for realism.
#13 Old 16th Apr 2008 at 3:03 PM
The growth problem will have another horrible side-effect ie. if the townies start mating among themselves, the neighbourhood will be full of ugly sims and even more stupid names!!!!
#14 Old 16th Apr 2008 at 4:16 PM
I don't know about stupid names, but you can replace the townies with your own sims. Well, one article says that you can.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 17th Apr 2008 at 4:11 AM
I know! I read that! I hope it means that the old townie can be completely vanished and wiped out of your computer in placement of one you create yourself. That would be so cool that way you can finally have an easy way to populate your town with townies of your liking. The only thing, though, is when they have kids, would they have random names? I really hope you get a pop-up with the option of naming all new born townies or just hit random in case you're not in the mood to give them a name. People may think it will get to be too much, but not necessarily, it's not like a baby is going to be born every 5 minutes.
#16 Old 17th Apr 2008 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
The only thing, though, is when they have kids, would they have random names? I really hope you get a pop-up with the option of naming all new born townies or just hit random in case you're not in the mood to give them a name. People may think it will get to be too much, but not necessarily, it's not like a baby is going to be born every 5 minutes.

I agree entirely.....we should be able to choose their names otherwise, Goopy's child will be named Snoopy or Whoopy (yuck!!!!!!)........
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Apr 2008 at 4:46 AM
LOL. Also, I wonder if all townies will marry and have kids. I hope that some of them don't just because for realism and I hope some are generated as gay or bi, too. Though I understand that not every player wants gays or bis so there would have to be a way around it. I just find it unrealistic that every townie HAS to get married and have children.
#18 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 7:23 PM
townies will die and give birth; it's the way virtual life goes......
Theorist
#19 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bookworm_duo
townies will die and give birth; it's the way virtual life goes......

You do meen the other way around don't you?

Give Birth THEN die?!

Otherwise..
WE GOT TOWNIE ZOMBIES!!!

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
#20 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 8:20 PM
While seeing exponential growth would be awesome, I would rather my computer not crash. I am sure they will create some form of population control. Perhaps they will only allow towines to have X amount of children when population reaches a high enough number.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 2:53 AM
There must be some control.
#22 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 6:35 PM
That sounds good Game Shark. Say Pleasant Valley starts with 30 Sims. It would make sense that the max amount of Sims allowed in one town would be say... 60, or even 70. We just have to hope they all don't go to the book store when were there.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 2nd May 2008 at 5:53 AM
Yes and keep in mind that just because there will be 90 lots does not mean that each and every home will be occupied. There must be plenty of them with vacancy for when we create our own Sims and what not.
#24 Old 5th May 2008 at 6:00 PM
Yeah, but knowing most of the people here love to use custom content and downloaded Sims. The whole Pleasant Valley is gonna be full because of YOUR addictions. ^^ (thought I'd add a little reason to this conversation).
Mad Poster
#25 Old 6th May 2008 at 3:21 AM
And that's fine but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I'm talking about the game in its first load before you even create Sims, surely not all the lots will be occupied because that would be rather silly for us to then have to kick families out or rid them just to create new ones to replace in those homes. Even in Sims 2 not all the homes were occupied. There has to be vacancy just for the fact that we are going to want to create our own families or even move existing families in them.
Page 1 of 2