Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 1:57 AM Last edited by bella3lek4 : 26th Aug 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Default The Cursed Painting Test
I'm trying to create a standalone object where I can get a certain buff after using it .
for example "looking at a sad painting to get sad"
but in this case I want to add the buff "On Fire" when using that object .
I've tried many things using "The Sims 4 studio" but non of my methods worked .
I would really appreciate if someone helped me with this & guided me on how to create such a thing .
Thanks in advance .

after figuring out how to make sims catch on fire when staring at the painting , I want them to stare at the painting autonomously without user-direction .
I hope someone can help me with this .
Thanks in advance

. I am a 20 years old male ..I'm not a Female .. and my name is not Bella .. as everybody think .
I used to bite .. but i don't do that anymore . Have fun! :)

Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 2:00 AM
It might be helpful if you'd state what you have tried already. Off the top of my head I'd think this kind of thing would need to be added as an outcome to an interaction, and then the interaction to the object. Is that along the lines of what you have done already?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
#3 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 3:02 AM
You can also just use a basic_extras if you don't need all the functionality of the outcome tunings.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
It might be helpful if you'd state what you have tried already. Off the top of my head I'd think this kind of thing would need to be added as an outcome to an interaction, and then the interaction to the object. Is that along the lines of what you have done already?

Thanks for the reply , I tried extracting the tuning of the "shower" object while modding a "Couch", & I added this

Code:
<T n="buff_type">98786<!--Buff_Fire_OnFire--></T>
        </U>
        <U n="chance">
          <T n="base_chance">100</T>
        </U>

among the text inside the tuning file .
my other methods involves the same thing but with different objects , note that I'm new to the sims 4 modding so I'm not familiar with names & codes & such .
I don't know how to do the method You mentioned but I would appreciate a simplified explanation .
Thanks alot

. I am a 20 years old male ..I'm not a Female .. and my name is not Bella .. as everybody think .

Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
You can also just use a basic_extras if you don't need all the functionality of the outcome tunings.

Thanks for the reply , I'm not familiar with the methods mentioned since I'm new to the sims 4 modding , I would really appreciate a simplified explanation .

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bella3lek4
I added this

Code:
<T n="buff_type">98786<!--Buff_Fire_OnFire--></T>
        </U>
        <U n="chance">
          <T n="base_chance">100</T>
        </U>

among the text inside the tuning file .

Where did you add that? Can you post the complete file? (Also, where is that lonely </U> coming from?)

Also, have you read the Maxis documentation? Link is in the sticky in this forum. Do you know how to read a tdesc? They are posting updated tdescs in their forums every now and then, like here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis.../1-10-57-tdescs

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 4:22 AM
Where did you add that? Can you post the complete file? (Also, where is that lonely </U> coming from?)

Also, have you read the Maxis documentation? Link is in the sticky in this forum. Do you know how to read a tdesc? They are posting updated tdescs in their forums every now and then, like here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis.../1-10-57-tdescs

I uploaded the package so You can see what I did . to save You time , I added that line at the bottom of the first XML inside the package , it's a couple lines above the end of the text .
I don't believe I read that , I'm going to download the file & try to figure out how to open it , Thanks for the link & info
Attached files:
File Type: rar  THE FIRE COUCH.rar (332.9 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 4:31 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 20th Aug 2015 at 4:51 AM.
For the tdescs there's a browser in Tools (by scumbumbo) that you can use. Or simply open them in a text editor .. they are just text files.

Also, for a couch I'd rather use couch tuning than toilet tuning. Because otherwise, sims can't do any of the couch things on it (like sitting), and most of the rest won't work very well I imagine when the object doesn't have stuff like dirty and clean states.

Also, I'm not sure one should have different tuning files with identical IDs (even when the groups are different). Try giving them names like the Maxis tuning files have ("object_toiletFC_01" etc) .. "bella3lek4_object_firecouch" and "bella3lek4_firecouch_sit" or something. I don't really get what that interaction is supposed to be doing btw; it's not in your affordances list either.

Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 4:42 AM Last edited by bella3lek4 : 20th Aug 2015 at 5:39 PM.
For the tdescs there's a browser in Tools (by scumbumbo) that you can use. Or simply open them in a text editor .. they are just text files.

I'm looking at the TDESC files using a text editor & I don't think that I'm on that level yet .
a simplified explanation would be really appreciated , & maybe I'll be able to add on what You will provide if I was lucky .
Thanks alot for the explanation , I managed to learn things better this way .

Deceased
#10 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 5:51 AM
I'm looking at the TDESC files using a text editor & I don't think that I'm on that level yet .

Yeah, those just plain suck to read in text files, that's why I wrote that browser - try it, I think it should help. Check the screenshots out on the download post and you'll see they're a lot easier to read.
Deceased
#11 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 6:03 AM
Yes, I took a look at this. I agree with Plasticbox that you'd definitely want to use a better object tuning, preferably a clone of the sofa tuning itself, for your new object.

Also, clone an interaction that is already used by existing sofas as the template for your new interaction, and you will need to add that new interaction to your object tuning's super affordance list.

Finally, the buff needs to be added to the interaction, not the object itself.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 5:37 PM
Yes, I took a look at this. I agree with Plasticbox that you'd definitely want to use a better object tuning, preferably a clone of the sofa tuning itself, for your new object.

Also, clone an interaction that is already used by existing sofas as the template for your new interaction, and you will need to add that new interaction to your object tuning's super affordance list.

Finally, the buff needs to be added to the interaction, not the object itself.

Your program turns the TDESC files into a piece of cake to read , I still can't really understand it at this level but I will learn with time , So thanks for that awesome program

Thank You both for the info , I started a new project for a new object , because I originally want to do this for a painting "I tried adding a painting "object tuning" to a painting "object" but TS4 studio kept crashing , so I changed the project into a Vase .

ok so I've done everything that You told me , & I kinda understand things better now , I added a sculpture "object tuning" to the vase , which is called "sculpture" in the ID , I changed the object's name & ID & I extracted the tuning of a sculpture interaction to add the buff there .
I also done a couple of changes to the interaction like changing Sim's needs & changing the name of the interaction to "Stare" instead of "View" , then I added the new interaction to the affordance_list in the obect tuning, and when I launched the game , I managed to see a new interaction to the modded vase , but it was still called "View" instead of "Stare" & when I tested the interaction , the needs didn't change the way I modified it & my sim didn't catch fire. so it was like a duplicate interaction only
I added the file incase You want to take a look at it .
I really appreciate the time You give me to make things work it really means alot , Thanks .
Attached files:
File Type: rar  FireVase.rar (189.8 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 5:52 PM
How did you "change the name of the interaction to "Stare" instead of "View"" ... did you read the Maxis pdf? Did you add an STBL and point your interaction at that? See "Localised Strings", page 11.

Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 7:03 PM Last edited by bella3lek4 : 20th Aug 2015 at 9:23 PM.
How did you "change the name of the interaction to "Stare" instead of "View"" ... did you read the Maxis pdf? Did you add an STBL and point your interaction at that? See "Localised Strings", page 11.

I didn't do that , I thought it worked the same way as The Sims 3 , I used to define the interaction name from the interaction itself using c# .
Anyway , I read the maxis pdf & I done what You told me & now the interaction name is "Stare" instead of "View" , Thank You so much
Now for the next step , to actually make the interaction do something , which is in this case add the buff "On_fire" to the sim after viewing the object .
I hope You guys can help me with that ♥

Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 2:00 PM
After alot of testing & trying different interactions , it seems that the only thing that changes is the "interaction name" after I change it in the custom STBL file .
The interaction functionality stays the same no matter what I change inside of it , even though I give it it's own unique name & ID .
What seems to be the problem here?

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 3:16 PM
I'd suggest you attach your current version or post the current code .. without that, nobody knows what you're doing.

Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 4:22 PM
I figured out how to do what I originally wanted which in this case "catch the sim on fire when staring at the painting"
I extracted the tuning of "On_Fire" interaction & that worked .

Now I'm trying to make the interaction autonomous so sims stare at the painting autonomously & catch on fire .
I can't figure out how to do it , I looked at Maxis documentation on creating mods also took a look at maxis TDESC files , but they didn't help me .

I'll upload the new file in case that will help .
Thanks alot .
Attached files:
File Type: rar  The Cursed Painting.rar (286.3 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: How can I make the "STARE" interaction autonomous ?

Deceased
#18 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 5:18 PM
Now I'm trying to make the interaction autonomous so sims stare at the painting autonomously & catch on fire .
I can't figure out how to do it , I looked at Maxis documentation on creating mods also took a look at maxis TDESC files , but they didn't help me.

OK, tried this out with autonomy and it works, but one suggestion (to follow). First, the autonomy.

The interaction is already considered for autonomy (all interactions are considered autonomous unless the "allow_autonomous" attribute is applied as False. However, it's not advertised as having any reason for sims to consider it. What you can do is add a "_false__advertisement" to the interaction that lies to sims about why they should consider it (that won't be necessary if you do the changes I'm going to suggest in a bit, but it will allow you to test it out).

I tried adding a false advertisement to lie to sims that "catching on fire is REALLY FUN" and it worked fine. I set the advertisement really high (on purpose) and everyone on the lot started catching on fire like gangbusters - kind of funny. Simple change to your interaction (I'm including some lines around the changes for context, the bold stuff is the actual addition):
Code:
  <V t="prohibit_cancelation" n="_cancelable_by_user" />
  <V t="resource_key" n="_icon">
    <U n="resource_key">
      <T n="key" p="InGame\UI\Icons\InteractionQueue\IconQueueFire.png">2f7d0004:00000000:520a9297634a669f</T>
    </U>
  </V>
  <L n="_false_advertisements">
    <V t="statistic_change">
      <U n="statistic_change">
        <T n="amount">20</T>
        <T n="stat">16655</T>
      </U>
    </V>
  </L>
  <V t="enabled" n="_saveable" />

But it's far from perfect, in my opinion, as they don't go to the painting to actually look at it. I'll discuss that in a followup post.
Deceased
#19 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 5:46 PM
So, improving things. What you've cloned is the "catching on fire" bit, but you need something to lead up to it. I would suggest cloning one of the "View" interactions for paintings and make that your "Stare" super affordance that the object tuning points to. Fine tune the autonomy to make sense, perhaps replace the autonomy with that from the generic "art_View_Sculpture" (but keeping the constraints and so forth of the painting view).

Then, add an outcome - probably one that doesn't always happen, so they don't always catch on fire - which pushes the catch on fire interaction which you already have as a continuation that is set to run next after the view.

That way, they will walk up to the painting, look at it for a bit, and then there's a chance they will catch on fire.
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 6:52 PM Last edited by bella3lek4 : 21st Aug 2015 at 10:39 PM.
So, improving things. What you've cloned is the "catching on fire" bit, but you need something to lead up to it. I would suggest cloning one of the "View" interactions for paintings and make that your "Stare" super affordance that the object tuning points to. Fine tune the autonomy to make sense, perhaps replace the autonomy with that from the generic "art_View_Sculpture" (but keeping the constraints and so forth of the painting view).

Then, add an outcome - probably one that doesn't always happen, so they don't always catch on fire - which pushes the catch on fire interaction which you already have as a continuation that is set to run next after the view.

That way, they will walk up to the painting, look at it for a bit, and then there's a chance they will catch on fire.

Brilliant !!!! , That's exactly what I wanted to do "Sims actually stare at the painting then catch on fire" , The autonomy works perfect ! WOOP WOOP .

I tried to make it a continuous interaction where sims use the "Stare" interaction then the next interaction "Catch fire" start automatically after it , but I couldn't figure it out .
Could the "Woohoo" interaction help me with this ? since sims go to sleep right after they Woohoo . "I tried it earlier but I'm sure I've done it wrong that's why it didn't work"

You're a true hero :lovestruc
Thanks alot !

EDIT

I tried taking the "outcome" command from various interaction & test if that worked , but it didn't , I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but here is what I added .

Code:
<E n="state_change_target">Actor</E>
        <U>
          <L n="potential_outcomes">
            <U>
              <U n="outcome">
                <L n="continuation">
                  <U>
                    <T n="affordance">77372<!--death_Fire--></T>
                    <E n="target">Invalid</E>
                  </U>
                </L>
              </U>
            </U>
          </L>
          </U>
   <V t="single" n="outcome">
    <U n="single">
      <U n="actions">
        <L n="loot_list">
          <T>16765771817347652838<!--DramaticGamer:CursedPainting_Stare--></T>
        </L>
      </U>
    </U>
  </V>                  

I extracted the tuning of the "View" interaction , added it to the affordance list then removed the "Catch fire" which is called "Stare" from the affordance list so It will be played after the view interaction is done .
my method didn't work .
again I'm a newbie at sims 4 modding so there are alot of things that I don't understand yet.
I'll include the file incase that helps
----------

I also tried adding this
Code:
<V t="dual" n="outcome">
<U n="dual">
<U n="failure_actions">
<L n="loot_list">
<T>16765771817347652838</T>
</L>
</U>
<U n="success_actions">
<L n="loot_list">
<T>16765771817347652838</T>
</L>
</U>
<U n="success_chance">
<T n="base_chance">75</T>
</U>
</U>
</V>

which comes with the maxis tutorial , & also didn't work .
the IDs in the loot list refers to the "Stare" interaction which catches the sim on fire.
I updated the file to include the new code .
Attached files:
File Type: rar  The Cursed Painting Modified With Dual outcome code.rar (289.6 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content

Deceased
#21 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 2:59 AM
OK, the second one is closer. A dual outcome is probably an ideal choice for the outcome tuning, so you have a success and failure path based on a simple percentage. However, a loot_list won't work - that expects a loot action which is completely different from an interaction (you can see the loot actions in the XML, and under "Actions" in the tuning descriptions). Those are generally used to apply buffs, get money, or even start a fire -- but you still need that on fire interaction that you have as an interaction because you don't just want to start a fire, you want the sim to react to the fire.

So in the view interaction, instead of pointing to the on fire interaction with a loot action, use the "continuation". That will allow you to push the on fire interaction (which will then do the work of actually starting the fire) onto the sim. Since that fire interaction is already setup as non-canceable, once that triggers... it's go time.
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 4:00 AM
OK, the second one is closer. A dual outcome is probably an ideal choice for the outcome tuning, so you have a success and failure path based on a simple percentage. However, a loot_list won't work - that expects a loot action which is completely different from an interaction (you can see the loot actions in the XML, and under "Actions" in the tuning descriptions). Those are generally used to apply buffs, get money, or even start a fire -- but you still need that on fire interaction that you have as an interaction because you don't just want to start a fire, you want the sim to react to the fire.

So in the view interaction, instead of pointing to the on fire interaction with a loot action, use the "continuation". That will allow you to push the on fire interaction (which will then do the work of actually starting the fire) onto the sim. Since that fire interaction is already setup as non-canceable, once that triggers... it's go time.

Thanks for helping , I tried this & it still didn't work .

Code:
 <V t="dual" n="outcome">
<U n="dual">
<U n="failure_actions">
  <L n="continuation">
<T n="affordance">16765771817347652838<!--DramaticGamer:CursedPainting_Stare--></T>
</L>
</U>
<U n="success_actions">
<L n="continuation">
<T n="affordance">16765771817347652838<!--DramaticGamer:CursedPainting_Stare--></T>
</L>
</U>
<U n="success_chance">
</U>
</U>
</V>

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#23 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 4:31 AM
This seems to tell me that no matter whether the action succeeds or fails, sims will continue to stare. Is that the desired result?

Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 4:59 AM
This seems to tell me that no matter whether the action succeeds or fails, sims will continue to stare. Is that the desired result?

Yes , Stare here actually means "Catch Fire" , but I'm keeping the old name for testing .
so now sims should "View" painting then "Catch Fire" .
but that still didn't work , Sims only "View" then stop .

Deceased
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 5:31 AM
Yes , Stare here actually means "Catch Fire" , but I'm keeping the old name for testing .
so now sims should "View" painting then "Catch Fire" .
but that still didn't work , Sims only "View" then stop .

OK, that makes sense just for testing to keep yourself from getting confused, but you'll probably want to rename the interactions before release.

So one thing that jumps out at me immediately is that you have a ton of dual_outcomes, a single outcome, a partial outcome, and even some invalid outcomes. You may want to go back to an earlier version of that if you still have a copy. The outcome code should look something like....
Code:
  <V t="dual" n="outcome">
    <U n="dual">
      <U n="failure_actions">
        <!-- Put in some kind of failure action of some sort
          perhaps a confident buff from beating the curse? -->
      </U>
      <U n="success_actions">
        <L n="continuation">
          <U>
            <T n="affordance">16765771817347652838</T>
          </U>
        </L>
      </U>
      <U n="success_chance">
      </U>
    </U>
  </V>

That code is untested, but it should be close. You'll want some sort of failure action as well (I don't think the dual outcome will work without a failure action), although you can make the failure run that continuation as well for now if you like for testing.
Page 1 of 2